If shtf tomorrow, what would you miss most?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I look at one of my kids, they have their damn phone in their hand, and are staring down at the screen. Threatening to turn it off is about the only leeway I have that has teeth, lol.

I don't have a smart phone, and I often turn off my $29 phone to save power and forget that I've done so for a week or so. I have an iPad but mostly use it as a calculator. I do use my laptop a lot and would miss that I admit, not that I care much about grid down as such because I'm off grid anyway, but I may have no forums to browse :)

Time.
Time is critical even after SHTF.
Though I will have my wind up watch on stand by, lol

I think a lot of the sheeple are just going to go crazy mad when the power grid shuts down, can you imagine what they'd be like with no electricity, no fridges and freezers, no TV, No computers, to say nothing of no way of cooking any food(if they have any) no way to heat or light the house.........????

time post SHTF will be the last of my worries.

I get up (like clockwork) 3:45am I go to bed 9pm (like clockwork) If for some reason I wake up after 4:15 I have a slight headache, at 4:30 breakfast is done, at 6am the horses are at the gate, at 1pm the dogs are under their favorite tree resting, at 4:30pm lisa's dogs remind me it's feeding time... I don't need a clock in fact, I don't even own a watch and have no clocks on my wall

I think a lot of the sheeple are just going to go crazy mad when the power grid shuts down, can you imagine what they'd be like with no electricity, no fridges and freezers, no TV, No computers, to say nothing of no way of cooking any food(if they have any) no way to heat or light the house.........????

Heaven for me, (no power) but the wife, her work requires it since she needs the computer(s) that are tapped in to other agencies from home and the cell phone primarily because of the kids a side from that she a trooper.

i've had the different types of watches and clocks.the watches of diff types.from the type i have wind up to battrey operated to self winding..i have a self winding pocket watch that my mom bought me as a b-day present.in which i keep put away untill its needed.

we go to bed at 9PM and get up at 6AM....5AM if we are going somewhere. post SHTF it'll be much the same maybe an hour either way, don't really need an alarm clock, haven't used one in years but wake up around 6AM.

Heaven for me, (no power) but the wife, her work requires it since she needs the computer(s) that are tapped in to other agencies from home and the cell phone primarily because of the kids a side from that she a trooper.
Most of people are very dependant on utilities piped in from elsewhere. I'm thankful for the hard times in life which required doing life without all that. We lit the stove at night to keep the cold off, used candles & lamps for light, carried our own water and cooked on the fire, using the food we grew or had in our pantry. If electricity as needed, we had 12 volts. Prepping is just re-doing all this with a different twist. We now have the technology for solar panels, off-grid systems for water and hydro plants, and (thank God) Doomsday prepper forums. In response to water purification, I learned; send the water trough a tube filled with aggregates. The delivery side has fine sand. the intake side has large rock. medium gravel in between, Chlorine can be added to the intake in small amounts to keep toxin producing aerobic bacteria from polluting the water. Common household bleach can also be used. Don't worry if the yuppies try to say the bleach is harmful, however if it is ingested in the pure form without being diluted, it could make You sick. I did that by accident 1 time. That will purify most water, if it doesn't have a lethal level of radiation fall- out in it. I,d advise a radiation detector in the event of nukes. The water won,t even have a bad taste with the right ratio of chlorine (100:1 or less ). If You'd like more info on how to set up off- grid a solar array, I can accommodate You. I build them regularly.

Most of people are very dependant on utilities piped in from elsewhere. I'm thankful for the hard times in life which required doing life without all that. We lit the stove at night to keep the cold off, used candles & lamps for light, carried our own water and cooked on the fire, using the food we grew or had in our pantry. If electricity as needed, we had 12 volts. Prepping is just re-doing all this with a different twist. We now have the technology for solar panels, off-grid systems for water and hydro plants, and (thank God) Doomsday prepper forums. In response to water purification, I learned; send the water trough a tube filled with aggregates. The delivery side has fine sand. the intake side has large rock. medium gravel in between, Chlorine can be added to the intake in small amounts to keep toxin producing aerobic bacteria from polluting the water. Common household bleach can also be used. Don't worry if the yuppies try to say the bleach is harmful, however if it is ingested in the pure form without being diluted, it could make You sick. I did that by accident 1 time. That will purify most water, if it doesn't have a lethal level of radiation fall- out in it. I,d advise a radiation detector in the event of nukes. The water won,t even have a bad taste with the right ratio of chlorine (100:1 or less ). If You'd like more info on how to set up off- grid a solar array, I can accommodate You. I build them regularly.

One thing I read that I think should be noted. If you do use bleach to disinfect water, add it to the water, then let it sit for 30 minutes. This is to give it time to work. Then shake it up and hopefully it won't taste like bleach.

One thing I read that I think should be noted. If you do use bleach to disinfect water, add it to the water, then let it sit for 30 minutes. This is to give it time to work. Then shake it up and hopefully it won't taste like bleach.
You are correct-I used that method for small amounts, say less than 2 gallons. If You build a continuous flow system, You should agitate the water- bleach solution well before introducing it into the system. A good tasting of the output supply will tell You what You need to do.

You are correct-I used that method for small amounts, say less than 2 gallons. If You build a continuous flow system, You should agitate the water- bleach solution well before introducing it into the system. A good tasting of the output supply will tell You what You need to do.
If You want to further purify it, distillation is not that difficult. I have also done that. However, radiation cannot be removed through either of these methods.

I have use bleach for years off and on though if possible I prefer to boil

If You want to further purify it, distillation is not that difficult. I have also done that. However, radiation cannot be removed through either of these methods.

for radiation water filtration I use seychelle radiological filters (sch-06)

I'm not much into electronics, I just recently got a solar charger for Lisa phone(s) and that's for her peace of mind not mine, I have this one computer the only thing connected to the internet, Lisa's computers are point to point direct link all battery backup (I'm not allowed to touch) I generally stay out of her office.

I'm not much into electronics, I just recently got a solar charger for Lisa phone(s) and that's for her peace of mind not mine, I have this one computer the only thing connected to the internet, Lisa's computers are point to point direct link all battery backup (I'm not allowed to touch) I generally stay out of her office.
I understand- however, U seem like U need some kind of power source for Yourself.

Electricity is nice, but not necessarily a necessity to manage everyday life. . . it will still go on.

nope, don't need it for me, electricity over rated anyway
O.K. , just carrying on because proud of my solar panels. It's not for everybody. Just checked out Seychelle radiation filters online. Will look further into them.

Electricity isn't'-necessary but without it, we wouldn't be online right now.

Most of the time I am online helping the wife on her research, she feeds me information and I pass it on and in the middle of all this, I am here or I am ordering (being retired she using me now) a side from that I can leave it.

Most of the time I am online helping the wife on her research, she feeds me information and I pass it on and in the middle of all this, I am here or I am ordering (being retired she using me now) a side from that I can leave it.
I respect You for that.

we may use electricity now but I can quite happily live without it, we didn't have electric in houses in the UK until the 1930s so its not been around that long. as for being online, yes its useful now, but post SHTF when the power is down I will be too busy to even notice its loss.

we may use electricity now but I can quite happily live without it, we didn't have electric in houses in the UK until the 1930s so its not been around that long. as for being online, yes its useful now, but post SHTF when the power is down I will be too busy to even notice its loss.
Right on! I may have misunderstood what You were saying earlier, I just don't believe in totally giving up on everything.-No surrender.

I have lived in the past without electricity its not that hard to do, not that I expect the masses would agree with me.

I have lived in the past without electricity its not that hard to do, not that I expect the masses would agree with me.
O.K.,You lived without electricity. So have many, including me. There are folks who raise their kids without electricity, right here in the U.S.

good for them. there are many people in the UK who live "off grid" too, usually people referred to as "alternative". but the majority of UK citizens would go crazy if they had a power cut for a couple of hours never mind the power going down permanently.

Latest posts

Back