If shtf tomorrow, what would you miss most?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just recently I purchase a solar setup that charges the wife cell phone, nook and kindle they are not expensive though in a grid down the cell phones (calls/text) will be worthless
I just ordered one, as well. There are 2 cell phones, a kindle, 2 iPods and a couple of handheld games here that can be charged with it to give that little bit less money to the electric company. If SHTF, it's primarily for the kindle and iPod - information and music.

because one of the main things I am expecting to happen fairly quickly after any SHTF event is for the power to go off.

or just learn to live without electricity.

Oh I can and would prefer but Lisa (wife) she needs it for her work, depending what kind of an emergency earthquakes/volcanoes she would be very busy so having a little something for her isn't much of an issue for me, so while I help her relay reports online I enjoy the DDP forum ;)

because one of the main things I am expecting to happen fairly quickly after any SHTF event is for the power to go off.
We all expect that which is why we are exploring and installing other sources of power. That's just common sense. Wood stoves instead of electric heat. Solar ovens or grills instead of electric stoves. Solar panels to run refrigerators. Like Brent asked, what are each of us doing to make sure we don't have to miss the things we'd miss the most if SHTF?

I have a wood stove and lanterns and torches/flashlights but I don't have a big house or lots of land so have to keep it basic and simple, also I don't want to draw attention to myself by having lots of solar panels and a wind turbine on the roof(I cant have them anyway under my tenancy). so I'm going for the K.I.S.S. principle.

I have a wood stove and lanterns and torches/flashlights but I don't have a big house or lots of land so have to keep it basic and simple, also I don't want to draw attention to myself by having lots of solar panels and a wind turbine on the roof(I cant have them anyway under my tenancy). so I'm going for the K.I.S.S. principle.
And I do think that's the smartest move - to keep things as simple as possible. What will you do for water? That's my biggest concern. I've managed to store quite a bit once I realized how vulnerable I was in that respect but it isn't enough to sustain us in a long-term situation.

river, springs and wells nearby, plenty of rainfall in the south west of England, mild climate but plenty of rain.

river, springs and wells nearby, plenty of rainfall in the south west of England, mild climate but plenty of rain.
I don't have any of that. The nearest water source is about 10 miles away and it is a series of manmade ponds in front of a large housing development - so that will do me no good. The ocean is about 20 miles away. No streams, no wells. I have 14 five gallon buckets that catch rain water for my garden. I still haven't been able to get any 55 gallon barrels but hope to achieve those with a rainwater catchment system for them in the next month. I've been adding five 2 1/2 gallon containers of distilled water per week to my storage, but, just read in another thread that distilled water lacks needed minerals. So, I guess for awhile I'll be adding purified spring water or whatever someone else suggests here. I'll have to find a source for that as the distilled water is all that I can get at the store where I regularly shop.
But, I can't store too much because I know that my best bet is to get out of here if SHTF. So, I am going for lightweight as much as possible. I did order a Sawyer water filter straw.

I've got enough water containers to store about 60 gallons, then I've got about 4-45 gallon blue plastic drums for rainwater, I can pick these up FREE OF CHARGE from an industrial estate 13 miles away whenever I want. I've got a Sawyer mini filter(I aim to get more if I can get them at a good price), I've also got a LifeStraw and a LifeSaver bottle.we are inland in a farming area about 25 miles from the coast.

And I do think that's the smartest move - to keep things as simple as possible. What will you do for water? That's my biggest concern. I've managed to store quite a bit once I realized how vulnerable I was in that respect but it isn't enough to sustain us in a long-term situation.
Portable filters! The life straw is an option, and there are other brands out there. I think the best is something like a berkey. It's a gravity fed, ceramic filter design hat can be used over and over with no special replacement parts. You simply scrub the ceramic and start using again. The only thing I am certain of is getting an intestinal bug while in an emergency is not a good thing, so have a backup for your backup when it comes to water. I was lucky and found a guy that sold me his berkey filter cheap, well 100. bucks isn't cheap, but is a lot less than new. There are other ceramic drip filters out there that are less expensive.

Berkeley is a bit too expensive for my income, the LifeSaver bottle was expensive enough so I'm going with portable filters.

Berkeley is a bit too expensive for my income, the LifeSaver bottle was expensive enough so I'm going with portable filters.
Yeah even at 100 it hurt a little! The guy told me he paid 330.00 for it, ouch! Whatever you get or can afford, there is nothing as important, so get multiples, and try to get something that dosent need new cartridges since you may not be able to order them.

Portable filters! The life straw is an option, and there are other brands out there. I think the best is something like a berkey. It's a gravity fed, ceramic filter design hat can be used over and over with no special replacement parts. You simply scrub the ceramic and start using again. The only thing I am certain of is getting an intestinal bug while in an emergency is not a good thing, so have a backup for your backup when it comes to water. I was lucky and found a guy that sold me his berkey filter cheap, well 100. bucks isn't cheap, but is a lot less than new. There are other ceramic drip filters out there that are less expensive.
Between the Sawyer, which is a straw type filter, my water purification tablets and bleach granules, I should be okay drinking water out of ponds, creeks, etc.. And if not, I have metronidazole to take at the first sign that I got a tummy bug.

Between the Sawyer, which is a straw type filter, my water purification tablets and bleach granules, I should be okay drinking water out of ponds, creeks, etc.. And if not, I have metronidazole to take at the first sign that I got a tummy bug.
Sounds like you're working in the right direction. Even if not near a water source you can collect dew with a tarp or sheet of plastic. You can also collect water from car tires and debris lying around as well. It may not sound appealing but if you're on the move in a real emergency you work with what you have available.

as soon as I saw the word tarp,I remembered what I was to pick up with me from my garden...it was the tarp I used for suncover..well tomorrow then..

as soon as I saw the word tarp,I remembered what I was to pick up with me from my garden...it was the tarp I used for suncover..well tomorrow then..
Glad I could be of assistance! I'm only 50, and if I don't write it down, it dosent get done!

After finishing our solar array, I'll have more than enough materials set aside to store another system. I 'm thinking they'll be safe from most attacks until ready for use.

Latest posts

Back