If shtf tomorrow, what would you miss most?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good for them. there are many people in the UK who live "off grid" too, usually people referred to as "alternative". but the majority of UK citizens would go crazy if they had a power cut for a couple of hours never mind the power going down permanently.
What happened to the old days when.....?

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but when I was younger my parents always had candles and torches/flashlights and things we called "storm" lanterns in case of a power cut which was usual in those days. these days nobody(except preppers) even have a flashlight much less candles in the house.

I'm not sure what you are referraing to, but when I was younger my parents always had candles and torches/flashlights and things we called "storm" lanterns in case of a power cut which was usual in those days. these days nobody(except preppers) even have a flashlight much less candles in the house.
Not sure what you are referring to either but I don't even have a flashlight that works. Always have candles,though. I was taught that way.

I prefer wind up torches(flashlights), I have a box full in my stores.

a torch/flashlight where the battery is recharged by winding a handle as opposed to replacing the batteries every time.

a charge last a long time, I'm using one of them and I haven't had to recharge it since I started using it. its just a personal thing but I prefer it to stocking loads and loads of batteries.

a charge last a long time, I'm using one of them and I haven't had to recharge it since I started using it. its just a personal thing but I prefer it to stocking loads and loads of batteries.
I may need to experiment with those a little more.

I'm in the UK and I buy mine from a supplier online in the UK. I also buy them in markets. if you do an online search I'm sure you can find a supplier in the US.

I'm in the UK and I buy mine from a supplier online in the UK. I also buy them in markets. if you do an online search I'm sure you can find a supplier in the US.
I didn't intend to post bad remarks about You earlier. I just don't intend to surrender the freedom.

bad remarks?? what bad remarks? must have got lost in translation .

Imagine an India who don't have to struggle. Or a U.S. who doesn't have to fight- Would not that be O.K.?

Imagine an India who don't have to struggle. Or a U.S. who doesn't have to fight- Would not that be O.K.?
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

I'm sorry Forager, I couldn't resist. I've lived so long with the hatred and violence of humankind. My high school sweetheart was killed in the Lebanon embassy bombing. My first husband, my children's father served in Desert Shield and Storm. My second served 4 years in a row in Iraq with 2-3 months at home between each deployment. I've lived through 27 deployments, TADs and Med Cruises over 32 years. Even being single now, I don't know what peace looks/feels like.

I have a question to everyone on this thread. Since posting what would be missed, what have any of us done to ensure we will not be without what we like the most?

I love electricity! A/C, fridge, computer, etc. On he same note I am making a root cellar for cool storage, am building an outdoor kitchen, allready heat mostly with wood, and a major luxury is I hope to have a solar water heater soon. 'Juice' makes our lives more comfortable yes, but as several here said, life will go on. I will say that making secondary ways to cook and heat now, while we have power tools and stoves and all, is a lot easier than doing so after the grid goes down. I talk with associates at work about these things and most say nothing is ever going to change and I am sure they think I'm a radical idiot. "You can lead a horse to water...."

"nothing is going to happen" is a phrase I hear over and over again, last time just over a week ago from wife's cousin who is a local government councillor. it does make me laugh with all that is going on in the world that these people still think life will go on as normal. are they in for a shock or what??

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

I'm sorry Forager, I couldn't resist. I've lived so long with the hatred and violence of humankind. My high school sweetheart was killed in the Lebanon embassy bombing. My first husband, my children's father served in Desert Shield and Storm. My second served 4 years in a row in Iraq with 2-3 months at home between each deployment. I've lived through 27 deployments, TADs and Med Cruises over 32 years. Even being single now, I don't know what peace looks/feels like.
Why would You ever owe me an apologie? If You want me to, I accept it
You deserve at least a merit for having gone through all of that.

"nothing is going to happen" is a phrase I hear over and over again, last time just over a week ago from wife's cousin who is a local government councillor. it does make me laugh with all that is going on in the world that these people still think life will go on as normal. are they in for a shock or what??
You can bet Your sweet bippie on that.

yet still the masses carry on without a care in the world. I believe that WHEN TSHTF the "die off" of those that haven't prepared will make the "black death" look like the common cold.

I have a question to everyone on this thread. Since posting what would be missed, what have any of us done to ensure we will not be without what we like the most?
Many of us have, me included.

given that I cannot store everything I want(small house) I shall learn to live without some things.

Latest posts

Back