Jokes and Humor

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aggg! I hate that. Believe it or not, I still sleep on a waterbed. So lifting the corners is a true ordeal (heavy!) And the stupid fitted sheets have microscopic corners to slip over the mattress corners. So they slip right back off every time you try to get them into place. I will never get another waterbed! Not a difficult promise to keep, since they haven't been exactly easy to find for, oh, about four decades now. We do still have one waterbed store left in Denver. But when I dump this mattress I'm going to take it out of the bedroom after trimming it to size with a Sawzall - so I'm won't be tempted again to just go get another waterbed mattress "so I don't waste this nice wood frame that is still good!" Screw that.
nice raised bed for the garden?

Yes and no.

I recognized my water bed would be an issue if Teotwawki happened in winter. Swapped out for a normal mattress and not 100% happy with it. Doesn't have the range of the waterbed.

Ben
Loved my waterbeds for decades :D.
Even that far back I'd set the thermostat at 110° and crawling in it was like was cuddling with that fat girl.
I still miss that to this day:(.
Electric blankets only work on top....she (or that warm mattress) would be down below.:)

Last edited:
nice raised bed for the garden?
Well THAT's an idea. It even has a set of drawers underneath that could contain gardening tools.

However, there IS a certain appeal to hitting it with the Sawzall after all these years. I remember heaters going bad, and what a mess that is to try and replace one. Drain the mattress (then it only weighs 500 lbs!) Then try and lift and drag it to one side so you can get the old heater out and put a new one in. All the ballasts and dividers inside the mattress usually get really screwed up when you do this, and the mattress is lumpy forevermore when you refill it.

But I learned a trick for that. When you replace the mattress but the old heater is still good, leave that heater in there and install a new one beside it before you put the new mattress in. I currently have FOUR heaters under the mattress (they barely fit side-by-side). I keep two connected to power, and the other two are pre-installed spares so I can just swap the power plugs if one fails. Once all four heaters have failed, they will become fodder for the Sawzall (if I still have the waterbed at that time).

Aggg! I hate that. Believe it or not, I still sleep on a waterbed. So lifting the corners is a true ordeal (heavy!) And the stupid fitted sheets have microscopic corners to slip over the mattress corners. So they slip right back off every time you try to get them into place. I will never get another waterbed! Not a difficult promise to keep, since they haven't been exactly easy to find for, oh, about four decades now. We do still have one waterbed store left in Denver. But when I dump this mattress I'm going to take it out of the bedroom after trimming it to size with a Sawzall - so I'm won't be tempted again to just go get another waterbed mattress "so I don't waste this nice wood frame that is still good!" Screw that.
Use the bladder for emergency water storage!

Use the bladder for emergency water storage!
Go ahead.
Take a guess how many gallons of water a king-size waterbed mattress holds.
Take a shot or you don't have a hair.:waiting:

Go ahead.
Take a shot or you don't have a hair.:waiting:
I'm guessing 120-150

1689565876632.png

When we bought our new house in 1986 we had 3 waterbeds.
Kids had twins and my wife and I had a king.
About 6 months later my son asked me to help him get his hot wheel car. He said it was stuck under the wall.
There was a 1" gap between the wall and the floor. The floor was over the 2 car garage and it had settled.
The builder had went bankrupt and I was out of luck getting him to do anything.
We got rid of the waterbeds and the floor actually came back up and closed the gap, almost.
In the house we live in now a waterbed would end up falling through the floor into the dirt below.
I was told to never skimp on a bed or shoes. You are in one or the other so you need good ones.

Over 200 gallons would be my guess so 1600 pounds or more.

Go ahead.

Let's see, I know our hot tub holds just shy of 500 gallons. I'd estimate it has roughly 3/4 the surface area of a king size bed. And it's probably four times as deep as a waterbed mattress. But it also narrows significantly at the bottom (seats built in that encroach on the upper surface area). So guestimating based on this array of factors, I'll put in my guess of "King Size Waterbed Mattress = 350 gallons".

Let's see, I know our hot tub holds just shy of 500 gallons. I'd estimate it has roughly 3/4 the surface area of a king size bed. And it's probably four times as deep as a waterbed mattress. But it also narrows significantly at the bottom (seats built in that encroach on the upper surface area). So guestimating based on this array of factors, I'll put in my guess of "King Size Waterbed Mattress = 350 gallons".
Real close. If the king-size waterbed mattress is 76" X 80" and 12" deep, that comes out to 72960 cu/in which equals 315 gallons.
For all my prepper friends, that is a LOT of water to wash clothes, dishes, bathe in, and flush toilets.
Maybe us old hippies weren't that stupid after all. :)

We had a water bed in the 1990’s, DW sewed flaps on the corners and it was tough getting them tucked under, but they stayed put.
I would throw my two year old daughter on it, she love ❤️ it.
Heater went out, after a week Of chilled bones, I got a heater.

This took imagination... The cab doesn't look like it was made for this 1ton frame, maybe a 3/4 ton van body. Then a different van body for the crew cab section.

But that is a nice bed!!! even has fenders! 🤣 If you need to haul pipe or floor joists, bet the rear van doors open to! :thumbs:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back