New neighbors

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing good coming from that for you Pearl. I hate hearing that
Agreed.

It happened to us about 5 years ago. They cut down all the trees on the other side of the hollow and built 800 units of apartments, town houses and ticky tacky.

Plant a mixed tree line now!

Ben

Only reason I think it's not a developer is that there are old gas wells on the property! They can't build on or within a certain proximity to those! The front of the property has a huge metal building on it, previous owners wanted it for some kind of business! So I'm hoping it's someone wanting their business out here, or someone with a lot of money wanting to move to the country!! I have a call in to a realtor I clean for, so hopefully I'll know something soon!!

Only reason I think it's not a developer is that there are old gas wells on the property! They can't build on or within a certain proximity to those! The front of the property has a huge metal building on it, previous owners wanted it for some kind of business! So I'm hoping it's someone wanting their business out here, or someone with a lot of money wanting to move to the country!! I have a call in to a realtor I clean for, so hopefully I'll know something soon!!

Fingers crossed. I agree with others. It doesn't sound good. Hope it all works out in your favor.

The 50 acres behind us sold yesterday.... 2 million dollars! Could this be a developer? There was NO PENDING CONTRACT!!😮 It appraised for just under 800,000$!! Just BAM, sold for 2 million!!
Or it is Tom Cruise

Dude is nuttier than a fruitcake! Hopefully it's the mafia and not him. We don't want to lose Pearl to the Church of Scientology. NO!!!!!!!!
She maybe just what they need to get on the straight & narrow!

Ok and WOW!! So the couple who bought the place for 800,000 dumped a bunch of money into it, took down the barns, most of the money the spent was on the building and concrete!! He defaulted on the loans, she left him (they were not married) and went to work for her aunt who is a realtor. They were selling the place! Somehow HE came up with another 2 million and bought it, AGAIN! He is going to sell after more " improvements! I got her number off the real estate sign sign a while back, I called her! There's definitely some dirty money and doings going on!!😮

Dude is nuttier than a fruitcake! Hopefully it's the mafia and not him. We don't want to lose Pearl to the Church of Scientology. NO!!!!!!!!
The mafia leaves people alone, at least the ones that leave them alone. And… they might even protect the neighbors they like.

Grill some hotdogs, Pearl, and invite them to go swimming.

The mafia leaves people alone, at least the ones that leave them alone. And… they might even protect the neighbors they like.

Grill some hotdogs, Pearl, and invite them to go swimming.
Everyone in the area is in agreement, this is Mexican Cartel!! No joke!

Everyone in the area is in agreement, this is Mexican Cartel!! No joke!
In that situation you definitely want to stand your ground with authority… letting them know they are not welcome. Don’t even talk to them.

It’s a play it by ear thing… to earn their respect. They do have somewhat of a code of honor. Then they will leave you alone.

Crazy world for sure. What’s crazier is I may have known some of them, just through circumstances of being the person I’ve been and living the life I had. Note I used the past tense… I’ve been….

I don’t need to be in a whiteness protection program. I don’t have any dirt on them, and they haven’t had a problem with me.

In that situation you definitely want to stand your ground with authority… letting them know they are not welcome. Don’t even talk to them.

It’s a play it by ear thing… to earn their respect. They do have somewhat of a code of honor. Then they will leave you alone.
Believe me, when they first bought the place the ground rules were put in place! They never lived there thankfully!

Wow! Maybe I should see what the property developer wants to offer me after all.
I get a letter every month, wanting to give me $19,000.00 to $82,000.00 for 4.98 acres & I say no .
There are two developments on the same road as my farm, if I sale, it will be for a lot more than what everyone is asking.
I however may not sale at all.

I get a letter every month, wanting to give me $19,000.00 to $82,000.00 for 4.98 acres & I say no .
There are two developments on the same road as my farm, if I sale, it will be for a lot more than what everyone is asking.

If the neighbors sell and the land-grabbers come up with an offer that doubles or triples my investment, I will snatch it up. Keep in mind it's not like I have farm land or a good place to raise animals.

If the neighbors sell and the land-grabbers come up with an offer that doubles or triples my investment, I will snatch it up. Keep in mind it's not like I have farm land or a good place to raise animals.
If you do that, you'd be wise to have another home lined up first and have verbage in the contract that states the sale is reliant on your having a place to move to. I've heard of a lot of people who got all excited about the numbers and then when they sold, couldn't find a place to move to b/c ALL the prices are inflated. We are in a bubble right now, so if you're thinking about selling, now's the time. But if you're a buyer, unless you have a plan already in place, you just need to wait a bit to find some deals. The problem is, I don't know when that bubble will actually burst. From what I've been reading, it's not very far off. If the above scenario plays out, maybe it would be wise to sell now and rent for a few years until a good deal comes your way. Then you could capitalize on the bubble and it's burst.

I'd suggest if you are going to stay in the area, that you should start getting familiar with the market there. Talk to a realtor and see what's available and what the price is. If nothing else, it will put you in a better position to barter with whomever wants to buy your place. You could also inquire about how much rent would cost and what is available on that front too.

I used to get letters asking to sell my home. Two houses on my street are valued at more than $1 million. Then one day I got a phone call. I had seen that someone else had gotten a call, so I was ready.
"Sure, I'll sell my home. $5,000,000."
"That is more than we think it is worth."
"That is what it is worth to me. Are you interested?"
"Not at that price."
"Then leave me alone."

And then a couple years ago the twin house to mine was listed for more than $1million, then price reduced and sold for$900,000 +."

I used to get letters asking to sell my home. Two houses on my street are valued at more than $1 million. Then one day I got a phone call. I had seen that someone else had gotten a call, so I was ready.
"Sure, I'll sell my home. $5,000,000."
"That is more than we think it is worth."
"That is what it is worth to me. Are you interested?"
"Not at that price."
"Then leave me alone."

And then a couple years ago the twin house to mine was listed for more than $1million, then price reduced and sold for$900,000 +."
You just tell them : I will put my place in sale
WHEN EVER I WANT TO
AND IT WILL BE FOR 20 BILLIONS $
AND I KEEP THE RIGHTS OVER THE LAND
:p

(Snuck in some tablet time. ;) ) I guess it's a good thing your neighbors are just shady, better than a subdivision.

We own most of a short commercial block in town. Our shop/office is on one corner, a church owns the other. In between are three lots I got cheap for future development.

We paid roughly $9-11,000 each about a dozen years ago. So I'm not a land barron. But a guy recently developed a steel warehouse across the street, on two lots he paid $69,000 for. So ours have appreciated handsomely. Plus there's 400 homes slated to go in a 1/2 mile up the road. There is only one other undeveloped parcel in the commercial district.

We get multiple letters a week offering ridiculous amounts - and they keep going down. Last one offered the magnificent sum of $6,500, cash for one lot. :D :D

The humor is wearing thin though and I'm starting to feel insulted. They don't seem to realize the lot's are adjacent. We'll get three letters from one outfit, or random offers on just one lot. I think they just scan the tax rolls and send letters to everyone, hoping some idiot or "don't wanter" bites. I could never take advantage of people like that.

OK, back to my vacation, I'm off to trout fish. Be back next weekend when it's supposed to only be 112 at home... :)

We get multiple letters a week offering ridiculous amounts - and they keep going down. Last one offered the magnificent sum of $6,500, cash for one lot.
My uncle owned a building in small town South Dakota. He died a few years ago and his children put the building on the market. No bites for a few years! I have no idea what they were asking for the building. A woman who was connected to them offered them $5.00 for the building. SOLD! I think she was planning to use the building for a lodge for hunters after some remodeling. My daughter was so upset that Uncle's building sold for that. She is liberal and I told her that there are too many conservatives for her to live there, and what would she do with the building? Coffee shop on the first floor and living space on the second while also running an internet business.

So I get home and I'm opening the front gate, a lady stops, came from the end of the road. The place is for sale, the couple split and moved, yay!! Anyhow, the lady in the car got out and gave me her card, she's a realtor. She said she showed the place just a little while ago. I'm thinking, SO?? As she's telling me this, Buddy is peering over from his pasture honking away!! She said that is very loud! I said " yeah, anything new or different and he sounds the alarm!" She then said it was kind of disruptive when she was showing the place!!😮 It's at least a half mile down the road and we can't see the house! She then proceeds to tell me she is having an open house Saturday afternoon and asked if I could send the donkey somewhere else that afternoon!!😮🤣😮🤣 So I popped off that he would really like to go shopping!🤣 She stared at me with horrible cringing eyes!! And then asks if there is anyway I can keep him quiet Saturday!!😮🤣🤣🤣 So I said sure, just make sure no strange vehicles come down the road that day!!🤣 She left!! I'm amazed!!!

Latest posts

Back