Perimeter Security & Defense

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
False alarms from wild life make for good unscheduled testing. If you don't hear or spot the alarm, then you need to improve the system. After a few critters have tripped the alarms, they will stay away OR you will improve your system.

With the IR Tripwire, you scan at night to see if there is a trip, then check the trail cam on the next patrol of your AO.

Adjust if needed. You can also use the IR as second line after shotgun primer to train deer to stay away, or have a Great Pyrenees to keep them away in the beginning.

Here is a video I found describing 6 types of alarms and how to make a few of them.

1692788884871.png

https://urbansurvivalsite.com/diy-perimeter-alarms-for-shtf/

Anyone else think it is almost time to start rigging perimeter alarms?

this is still the best perimeter alarm money can buy

I have an 8 pack. They tend to go off at random (birds, squirrels, coyotes yipping in the distance).

Last edited:
We have 2 dogs who let us know if anything is around. They will run the range cows off when they get too close to our property. The only time our dogs have ever seen another person around our place was last spring when I was working on the fence. There was a Forest Service crew trying to start fires along our north and west fence lines. At first the dogs barked at them, then they spent the rest of the day hanging out with them. Traitors.
I know that if I wasn't around the dogs would not be very friendly with strangers.

I have a Mighty Mule sensor that I picked up on clearance for $40. It works off of vibration. Have it 400ft from the receiver. Just enough time to get the Welcoming Committee.

I’ve been considering driveway alarms. What type do you like? We are on a dead end road and get very little traffic, so they might be good for a ways up the road, right?

We have solar ones off Amazon that work pretty well...as long as: the dogs don't decide to play in front of it and the wind isn't blowing hard. Branched trees across the drive can set it off. When that happens, I just unplug because the alarm goes off incessantly.

Sorry for the 'Grave Dig' ya'll, but.. 🤭 Didn't think this little 'alt-idea' warranted a whole New thread..

Anyhoo, for those who Use the 'Fith-Ops style': https://fithops.com/products/12-gauge-perimeter-alarm etc, of 12 ga Perim-Trip alarm (..and, NOT, herein, debating the merits of 'Noisy vs Silent Perim-Trips' - this is Just FYI for those who Use these-types.. Which Can have 'Other purposes' besides Perim-Alerts, but.. that's Another thread, still.. ;)

I've a few of these 'Fith-Ops trip rigs' / 209-adapters, but I was, let's say.. 'Underwhelmed' by the 209's report.. Soooo... I came up with a 'DIY'd rig' to use 9mm 'PAK' blanks, ie: https://replicaweaponry.com/extra-loud-9mm-blank-ammunition-50-pack/ ..Which are Much louder than 209s (or even 22-blanks, for that matter..) :cool:

Starts with a 'standard aperture' Door viewer, ie: Defiant Bright Brass 200 Degree Door Viewer 70522 - The Home Depot ..Which, who's 'Face' - just so happens - to be the Same dia. as a 12 ga. shell's base (well, 'Close enough', anyway.. YMMV, depending on OEM / brand, etc - Might have to 'grind-down the rim-dia' a bit.. But.. IIRC, that one was perfect.. :cool: ie:

(..and Yes - Also works in those 'Orion' Marine-flareguns, etc..)

- Pop-out the Lenses / Grind-down the front-face 'lens-seat' / rim, there, as-seen, and get yerself a 9mm O-ring, as shown... The 'PAK' round will 'drop right in', ie:

..No, it won't 'seal super-tightly' (doesn't Need to, like a Real round / projectile does in a barrel..) but again, Does Need the O-ring in Front of the PAK-round's 'mouth', so it will 'center' / seat-tightly, ie:

..And Yes, that applies to These (the Fith-Ops) style of 12-ga Trip-devices.. (y)

The PAK rounds are a LOT louder than a 209 / 22-blank, less 'fire risk' (for, say, 'Woods-contexts') than a 12 ga load, and Cheaper, overall. 'Why not just bore-out a 209-adapter for these'? Cuz they're not Long-enough to bore-out (with say, an End-mill, so you have a 'Stop' at the end for the PAK-round To seat into..) so they just fall out.. BTDT. :rolleyes: ;)

WARNING: (for anyone Not astute enough to Already know this..) DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THIS WITH A 'REAL' 9mm ROUND, it WILL NOT serve as a 'way to make a 9mm out of a 12 ga flaregun' - Gas-pressure, alone, will Blow this (AND the 'viewer-barrel') to smithereens in yer hand, it'll Never work. You'd stand a better chance of firing a 9 x 19 round out of yer Mouth by gnawing at the primer with yer Teeth. 🤓

Fwiw..
jd

Latest posts

Back