planting fruit & nut trees as a "prep".....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was just showing the Good Folks here where they 🐝 located... All the way to the bottom of the page it shows 2024, but that is Hopefully the date on the Website Making... There is a "Contact US" tab on the site so those interested can maybe ask ?'s

If you would like some Hazelnut tree suckers I will gladly send you some Amish! Right now I have quite a few suckers on the trees and was going to cut them off, but if you want some too I will just let them grow.

EDITED TO ADD: The spot you described sounds absolutely perfect for these nut trees Amish! Also very much agree on planting more fruit trees closer to the house. I don’t know where you grow your herbs (kitchen and medical), but a few years ago I started planting my herbs under the fruit trees and I have been pleasantly surprised how well they have all done! Have not lost a single plant.
I would gladly pay for shipping to get one. I live in zone 6B.

Would love it, Georgia P!! PM me and I'll send my address when they're ready to ship and I'll send you $$. Fall planting would probably be good, as right now it's hotter than hot.
I've been thinking about planting herbs around the fruit trees, and probably will. I'll have to mark them off, though....the amish lad Aaron who zips around and does the mowing doesn't always pay attention to what he's mowing if it's new, or what he's weed whacking necessarily. I'll probably do basil in between next years potato/tomato/pepper garden. And maybe some cabbage in the mix. Getting rid of squash bugs.

I would gladly pay for shipping to get one. I live in zone 6B.

Nice to see you Weedy! I haven’t been on here much, but will always be grateful that you and some others came over to welcome us to this site. You will need more than one because you need a pollinator. What if I send you four? Two of the Jefferson and two of the Eta? That way if one dies you have a backup. When I send them replant into a larger pot for the remainder of the summer…then plant in the ground come fall. Please don’t worry about shipping cost. It will be my pleasure to gift these to you.

I will send detailed information on these varieties of Hazelnuts as not all types are the same. There are like 5 or 6 different type of Hazelnuts and a lot of varieties.

Just send me a PM with where to send them and come September I will plant in small pots and send with plastic bags secured around the pots and put in sturdy cardboard boxes.

Would love it, Georgia P!! PM me and I'll send my address when they're ready to ship and I'll send you $$. Fall planting would probably be good, as right now it's hotter than hot.
I've been thinking about planting herbs around the fruit trees, and probably will. I'll have to mark them off, though....the amish lad Aaron who zips around and does the mowing doesn't always pay attention to what he's mowing if it's new, or what he's weed whacking necessarily. I'll probably do basil in between next years potato/tomato/pepper garden. And maybe some cabbage in the mix. Getting rid of squash bugs.

I’ll send you a PM after this. There is too much chance of the starter sucker not making it unless we wait until at least early fall. How many do you want Amish?

LOL on Aaron zipping around! Sounds like my husband. He has sprayed and mowed over some of my plants several times! I hear you on the squash bugs!

A friend of ours in New Mexico had a nice orchard going near the river of fruit trees. He'd invite me to pick what I wanted, as long as I supplied him with jam. I remember it always smelled SOOOO good there because he planted herbs all around the base of each tree. Loved it.

What about marking the new plantings with something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=garden+f...+fecing,aps,990&ref=nb_sb_ss_pltr-xclick_7_13

Yep! I'll have to mark with something, or they'd get mowed for sure. No, actually, Aaron is pretty good if you show him where things are, but sometimes....
Right now I'm not too sure if I want him taking out the pigweed cuz I use it for animal feed. Have an acre of it, but it does grow back every other week.

If you would like some Hazelnut tree suckers I will gladly send you some Amish! Right now I have quite a few suckers on the trees and was going to cut them off, but if you want some too I will just let them grow.

EDITED TO ADD: The spot you described sounds absolutely perfect for these nut trees Amish! Also very much agree on planting more fruit trees closer to the house. I don’t know where you grow your herbs (kitchen and medical), but a few years ago I started planting my herbs under the fruit trees and I have been pleasantly surprised how well they have all done! Have not lost a single plant.
Georgia Peachie, Would it be possible for me to 2-3 of both types as well? Ive always wanted to try hazelnuts and haven't gotten around to it.
I'll be more than happy to snnd you funds for supplies, time, and shipping

I have Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Strawberries,, Persimmons,Grape, Muscadine,Pear, Pawpaw, Mulberry,Elderberry, Black walnuts, Hickory nut, Chestnut, Pecan & Figs. Also Buffalo berry, Silverweed,Snowbush, Black Huckleberry,Black Gooseberry, Lingonberry. We have bamboo, Sassafras, Black Cherry, Oak & Pine growing wild on the property.

Last edited:
I have Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries, Strawberries,, Persimmons,Grape, Muscadine,Pear, Pawpaw, Mulberry,Elderberry, Black walnuts, Hickory nut, Chestnut, Pecan & Figs. Also Buffalo berry, Silverweed,Snowbush, Black Huckleberry,Black Gooseberry, Lingonberry. We have bamboo, Sassafras, Black Cherry, Oak & Pine growing wild on the property.

Sure wish I had those Hickory nut and Pecan trees! They take too long to grow. We do have 2 producing Walnuts and 1 getting close to producing. I didn’t plant them.

Do you use your Elderberries for Tea and Jam? I’ve got some growing with hopes of doing that next year. We have Pine trees that I use for Pine needle Tea. Very helpful as a medicinal too.

Cranberries are on my “add” list for fall. Planted Aronia berry plants a couple of months ago. It isn’t a well known type of berry, but the berries are very healthy for you. We planted the type that is a ground cover along the large pond hillside, because they are helpful in controlling erosion.

Georgia Peachie, Would it be possible for me to 2-3 of both types as well? Ive always wanted to try hazelnuts and haven't gotten around to it.
I'll be more than happy to snnd you funds for supplies, time, and shipping

Of course I will Bacpacker! Glad to share with you! You will surprised at how easy they are to grow. No money necessary. I enjoy sharing.

Please send me PM. Going to put everyone’s name on a list so I don’t miss anyone come September.

Sure wish I had those Hickory nut and Pecan trees! They take too long to grow. We do have 2 producing Walnuts and 1 getting close to producing. I didn’t plant them.

Do you use your Elderberries for Tea and Jam? I’ve got some growing with hopes of doing that next year. We have Pine trees that I use for Pine needle Tea. Very helpful as a medicinal too.

Cranberries are on my “add” list for fall. Planted Aronia berry plants a couple of months ago. It isn’t a well known type of berry, but the berries are very healthy for you. We planted the type that is a ground cover along the large pond hillside, because they are helpful in controlling erosion.
There is a Pecan that has nuts in ten to twelve years, my trees are seedling & not bearing yet.
The hickory trees where big when I was still crawling over sixty years ago.
Black walnuts are wild seedling from an old tree & they have been bearing for ten years.
I want to get Hazelnuts, English walnuts & butter nuts, the Chestnuts are 4 inches trunk & they bear a half of gallon last year.
The elder is wild I have a small ADAM hybrid Elder & the wife is big on tea.
The pine can be used for pine nut if you are hungry, but it is a lot of work.
Oak for lumber, fire wood, Acorns for deer rabbits, also one of the Ladies here started a thread on processing Acorns for food.
I wanted a Aronia plant, but with a hundred blueberry plants wild spreckle/Freckle berries, I do not have time to harvest another berry. Plus I want to try Honey berries.
Aronia is a good berry plant & it grows in zone 8a in a children park in Columbia, S.C.
I need a few apple trees in a four feet square so the deer will not kill them.
As for ground cover I would use a different mint for each tree. Cranberries is to much work for an old man. I have six different figs, so now apple & quince, maybe another pear, Hazelnuts, rosa with hips.

I wish we have 10 - 12 years to grow pecan trees. I’m afraid we will need homegrown nuts way before that. I’m with your wife on loving Elderberry Tea!! Kinda hooked on it. LOL. We all have our own ways and wants on herbs. Mine are perfectly placed for my use and not having to replant all those herbs every spring is awesome! :D

Acorns are fantastic for animals. Having them close to hogs is great for finishing them off! I’ve never fed my rabbits acorns. Interesting. We raise New Zealand’s for meat. Rabbit meat is so tasty! You can get as much as 290 lbs of meat from 1 Doe. They have the highest feed to meat ratio of all animals. Wild rabbit is ok, but very thin compared to a meat rabbit.

Your blueberry bushes are a real plus!!! I don’t have nearly that many. Am planting 8-10 more this fall. Haven’t measured the planting space yet.

Remember.... I'm the Webster definition of ..black thumb.. as far as garden growing goes..
However I have planted many local area hearty berry trees and bushes.. Mostly wild and domestic Saskatoon berry, wild and domestic honey berry and black current.. Along with a number of pin (sour pie) cherries.. These all did well in zone 2..

I had a number of part and ends of rolls of 6x6" concrete mesh wire that I made cages about 2' in diameter and 5' tall that I had to stake around trees and bushes to keep the moose from browsing them to the ground.. Surprisingly most made it..

I root a lot of my pruning...makes for some extra income along with growing my orchard cheap. This is pomegranate. I do my apples, figs, blueberries, Gardenia and whatever I can "forage" for...added mulberry and hibiscus this year! Can be tedious work...I use 1/2 sand and homemade soil with scoring and rooting hormone to get started and daily misting in a shade house.

Attachments

• 20240709_064707.jpg
    20240709_064707.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back in the 80's my great uncle plantedsone pecans off of a pecan tree that use to be on the town square . By the 90's I planted pecans from the ones he planted across another part of my property . Now I have about a dozen pecans trees .
Yes just stick a pecan in the ground and grow a tree . Most of mine have pecans every year .

Latest posts

Back