Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
meteor.jpg

Went back down to check on my tractor... the new pto shaft seal has been ordered. Glad to hear that. I couldn't find one, part of the reason I let this guy work on it.

Today he was working on a used dozer he'd bought. Funny, when he got it home, changing filters etc. he found a hose that was loose. He spent 2 days trying to find out where it connected. Called the JD people, everyone, no one knew. He figured it out... it didn't connect to anything. It was a vent tube for a hydraulic expansion tank. 🤣

20230912_183807sm.jpg
20230912_185411sm.jpg

A few shots around the farm. My cousin fenced off a corner of my old bull pen for stacking hay. Could easily get 200 rolls inside.

He baled a few rolls earlier this week too. He has 25 heifers on about 50 acres of pasture. They can't keep the grass eaten down with all the rain we've had. So he cut the high field. Got 25 small rolls.

View attachment 115773View attachment 115774View attachment 115775View attachment 115776
That's 2 acres per head! In our area it takes around 25 acres of pasture per head. I've got 86 cow/calf pairs here right now and with the rain we had in August I expect the grass to hold out through October, or until it snows.
It's nice seeing all that green grass on your place.

That's 2 acres per head! In our area it takes around 25 acres of pasture per head. I've got 86 cow/calf pairs here right now and with the rain we had in August I expect the grass to hold out through October, or until it snows.
It's nice seeing all that green grass on your place.

When i was young, in the navy, was stationed with a guy from west texas. They needed 28-30 acres per cow. I didn't believe him at first, couldn't wrap my head around that number... until driving to the west coast for my next duty station. Then i saw how dry the west was. Still wondered, how the heck could a calf gain weight having to walk miles everyday for grass and water? Seemed they burned a lot of calories instead of converting them to muscle.
:dunno:

Year over year we needed about 1.4 acres per cow, weather dependant. But I needed more acreage for hay. Usually had a few hay fields elsewhere, within 5 miles of the farm so i could drive the equipment over.

My brother has told me that the local paramedics call the VFD for assistance with large patients.

Ben
The first ambulance squad I belonged to was part of a fire department. It was SOP for an engine to roll with the ambulance for certain types of calls. For fires an ambulance rolled to be available for any victims or injured fire fighters. We had one call where the patient was too large to get her through the door. I have no idea how long she had been inside that home.

We had to get her to the hospital. The answer that they came up with was to cut a hole in an exterior wall, use the wall section as a backboard, and strap her to it. Packing the obese woman and a section of wall, was an all hands on deck run. Everyone on duty and several volunteers were called in.

Ben, what your brother describes is standard in the industry.

My mad skills. Putting a customer's product into a grage, saved them hours of work by doing this, otherwise they would have to hand bomb the product into the garage.

Attachments

• 20230914_133724.jpg
    20230914_133724.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Back