Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20231007_103955757~2.jpg

The inside boys sharing a chair!! 😺

Saw this recently... pork at the grocery store here in the south.

Who can do with out smoked pork jowls or hocks? Then everyone's favorite, Souse Meat! When i was a kid i'd help my uncle haul hogs to sell at the Zeigler slaughter house.

20230829_pork155.jpg
20230829_pork208.jpg
20230829_pork200a.jpg

Last edited:
Cotton is open, picking underway everywhere. Thought I’d post the painful part of picking by hand.

When a cotton bowl is green the hull is fairly soft. When it opens and dries the points on the hull are rock hard and fairly sharp. They will cut skin. By the end of picking season everyone’s hands were a bloody mess, couldn't be avoided. (no serious cuts that required stitches)

I remember elementary school in september. It was easy to spot the kids who picked cotton. Our hands would be covered in bandaids and mecuricome.

The cotton below is tall, between 3&4 ft. Looks like a fine crop. I hated picking short cotton. Had to bend over and pick, never really straight up. It was murder on your back.

@havasu

20231011_jcot835a.jpg
20231011_jcot851a.jpg
20231011_jcot900a.jpg
20231011_jcot910a.jpg

Hard to see, but my UPS (power backup battery for computer) still has styrofoam and plastic on it for safekeeping. But I got a basket and a vent hood (from a dell cpu fan off ebay) to make some sort of protection for the holes on the top and the cables out the back. It should still allow for some air flow but protect it from cats throwing up.
1697066838714.png

The green grocery bag above bumped stuff so it shifted over-- it will be more to the right and I need to figure out the best way to secure stuff. The idea is that the hood hangs over where things plug in so no liquid from hairballs or anything else the cats throw at it will not get on the plugs and short stuff out like on the old UPS. I'll need to figure out a way to protect the sides from the cats that still spray (my brother needs to get them neutered), but the top is the most vulnerable bc stuff drips straight down-- hence the basket. Still allows air to flow but protects the vents.

FIRST BIRTH at Happy Roots Homestead!! Born on Friday the 13th. Wasn't expecting it this soon. It's a month off. So, after going over dates a few times..... Conclusion is Mama "JEFF" was pregnant before she came to us on 6/15. Interestingly, mama had already dropped twins 3/20 this year!! She has never lambed twice in a year before, and has only had twins. So, it was definitely a surprise! Happy Friday the 13th!! This little guy's name is OREO. He's a Dorper/Churro Cross.

IMG_20231013_173901892.jpg

My new robe hook is installed (I need to figure out how to disguise where I accidentally scraped the wall) after much sweating and swearing
1697448830722.png
1697448854069.png

It holds my hair rag and wrap that I wear when I get out of the shower. Now to figure out where to put the slippers hanger...
1697448991073.png

Latest posts

Back