Post A Photo, A Real Photo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The helicopter has been flying all day dropping fire pellets. They're working on our north section now.
20230924_155820.jpg

20230923_132027.jpg

No, I don't hunt. After the war I tried turkey hunting with a friend, and even had one in my sights, but could not bring myself to pull the trigger. Something about ambushing an animal that is minding its own business and doesn't even know I'm there.
However, I have used that very .410 to dispatch more than one rooster, and a raccoon I trapped after killing several hens, and some rather large corn snakes that were terrorizing our hens and eating their eggs.
I have also had to shoot a feral pitbull that was attacking me. Luckily I had a 20 ga pump in my hands and not the .410.

So, you see, my views on killing things is limited to self defense. I have nothing against hunting, it's just not for me.
In fact, I have two deer out in one of the freezers that were given me by a friend.

A .410 is a great farm gun, handy. In .410's I have a Stoeger Uplander double barrel, a Mossberg bolt action, a Rossi single shot and the NEF in the picture.
Used shotguns are cheap to buy and feed. I've got more than a dozen pumps, doubles, singles, and bolts. in 12. 16. 20 gauges and .410 bore.

And I love the OTHER great farm gun - 22LR and 22WMR. I have "a few" rifles and pistols in those calibers.
I call my Ruger Single Six my varmint pistol. Shot quite a few varmints with it.

What do pot dispensaries do with trim that they don't sell? They throw it away! What happens to the pot in the dumpsters? It is supposed to be locked so that people cannot get to it, but the locks get broken a lot and people take the trimmings. This was a bunch of the trimmings that someone got out of a dumpster and dumped on a sidewalk.

pile of pot].JPG

What do pot dispensaries do with trim that they don't sell? They throw it away!
This was a bunch of the trimmings that someone got out of a dumpster and dumped on a sidewalk.

The story made me laugh. Reminds me... decades ago in tuscaloosa, drug cops seized 50lbs of pot, was in the news. Weeks later they even announced they were going to burn it at the landfill. People showed up to watch, mostly pot heads...

The cops soaked some diesel fuel on part of it, threw on a torch, took pictures then left. All the pot heads ran down, put out the flames and salvaged most of it... 🤣 Funny, at parties that summer, i'd sometimes smell pot smoke with a faint hint of diesel. 😁

What's that pot going to smell like? Old takeout chinese from a dumpster? 🤣

Last edited:
The story made me laugh. Reminds me... decades ago in tuscaloosa, drug cops seized 50lbs of pot, in the news. Weeks later they even announced they were going to burn it at the landfill. People showed up to watch, mostly pot heads...

The cops soaked some diesel fuel on part of it, threw on a torch, took pictures then left. All the pot heads ran down, put out the flames and salvaged most of it... 🤣 Funny at parties i'd sometimes smell pot smoke with a faint hint of diesel. 😁

What's that pot going to smell like? Old takeout chinese from a dumpster? 🤣
The story said that they try to add all kinds of things to stop people from taking it. There are several responses.

"People will break into the dumpsters no matter what you do. A facility I worked at smashed old lightbulbs into the trim, poured bleach on it, and chopped it up with a wood chipper, and still people would take the garbage/trimmings.
Got to the point where you’d rather leave your dumpster unlocked and open so you wouldn’t have to deal with a broken lock/dumpster lid every morning.
We asked why they do it and the best response I got was they they would collect the resin from the trimmers gloves and smoke it."

"We used to blend our **** up with cat litter. It took a long time, but after a week or so, people stopped breaking into the dumpsters."

"I worked at a grow with razor wire fences and an industrial dumpster size TRASH COMPACTOR. Some crazy MF went over the razor wire and broke open the swing end of the compactor and pulled almost all the trash out of it before someone noticed. The leftover material was all soaked in bleach and absolutely worthless but it doesnt stop these types."

"You fail to understand the ingenuity of crackheaded thieves."

"I know from working at these places that they are required to have dumpsters with some heavy ass 100lb lid with pad locks.

Also a part of the proper "green wasting" procedure is to mix that product with some type of media like dirt or shredded paper etc so it cant be utilized easily should it be discovered anyway.

I've been the guy that mixed in dirt with a 30lbs of weed that otherwise looked normal but was bad."

"Yeah the idea only work on paper. Those lids are no match for crack head energy.

We’ve seen our security footage of a dude doing 50 cannonballs onto the reinforced lid until it bent enough to pass the lock bar.

Crack heads gonna crack head."

Its that time of year, time to pick cotton. I saw some starting to open yesterday. Today I stopped by my neighbors tractor shed. He was getting his picker ready. Had the covers off the spindle assy, checking function etc. There are hundreds of spindles that rip cotton from the stalk as they spin.

This is an old picker, late 90's. It picks 4 rows of cotton at a time. Complicated machine but a lot easier than picking by hand. Seems I spent half my childhood in a cotton field.

20230929_picker 608a.jpg
20230929_picker 633a.jpg

I've never seen one close up. Do they really work well to recover cotton cleanly?
The first is a stock photo from the net... for comparison. That's really short cotton too, it's usually about 4ft tall here. The second pic is the cotton field in the middle of my home town after picking...

Picking by hand is a lot cleaner, can get all the cotton. Pickers were being introduced when I was a kid. They weren't as good back then. I've hired out many times to 'scrap' cotton. A name for picking by hand after the picker goes through.

Bottom pick... that's very clean picking. By hand would be better but those days are gone. So, a little is left in the field, maybe a couple hundred pounds.

Cotton b  (1).jpg
Cotton Fay  (5).JPG

I've never seen one close up. Do they really work well to recover cotton cleanly?
Here are some close-ups of the spindles, they spin at a high rate, grab the cotton and pull it from the stalk. I remember my grandfather working on a problem with the picker. Somehow it caught his hand. It drove a spindle clean through it. Took several farmers to figure out how to free him.

pp 01.jpg
pp 02.jpg
pp 03.jpg
pp 03a.jpg

Last edited:
Fippy had a busy night barking, growling, snapping at anything that moved (or things he imagined) so he was tuckered out.
1696035321110.png

In fairness, the other dog was losing her damn mind last night over who knows what and running around barking & aggravated him.

Fippy had a busy night barking, growling, snapping at anything that moved (or things he imagined) so he was tuckered out.
View attachment 116934
In fairness, the other dog was losing her damn mind last night over who knows what and running around barking & aggravated him.
They hear many things that we do not, like both ultrasonic and subsonic frequencies.
Long before we hear thunder, DW's cat disappears under her bed.
20 minutes later, we will just barely begin to hear it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure she heard someone or something out in the distance that had her alerting. Probably dogs barking way far away or something.
As for Fippy, he will suddenly wake up from a dream & snap at things. He's got cataracts so his vision is going & he growls at shadows.

I knew my cousin couldn’t get his big tractor down to the bottoms to bush hog. Figured it had grown up… Nope! Looked good in fact. These heifers spend the heat of the day down here in the shade. They’ve kept it eaten down.

I have 5 springs down here that feed 2 streams. They combine near the corner. We haven’t had rain in a month. The water is low and flowing slowly. Still plenty for the livestock to drink and for the pup to play in…

My cousin bought a truck load of old drill pipe. He uses it for fence posts and to span creeks. On the other side of the pipe is my neighbors farm. He has cattle also.

20231002_Bott012a.jpg
20231002_Bott013a.jpg
20231002_Bott014a.jpg
20231002_Bott309a.jpg
20231002_Bott322a.jpg

I knew my cousin couldn’t get his big tractor down to the bottoms to bush hog. Figured it had grown up… Nope! Looked good in fact. These heifers spend the heat of the day down here in the shade. They’ve kept it eaten down.

I have 5 springs down here that feed 2 streams. They combine near the corner. We haven’t had rain in a month. The water is low and flowing slowly. Still plenty for the livestock to drink and for the pup to play in…

My cousin bought a truck load of old drill pipe. He uses it for fence posts and to span creeks. On the other side of the pipe is my neighbors farm. He has cattle also.

View attachment 117043View attachment 117044View attachment 117045View attachment 117046View attachment 117047
Love that floppy eared photo bomber 😂

Latest posts

Back