Preparations Update

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I'd known you were looking. I'm gonna get a decent set up for the house. Itll last me the rest of my life, as long as I don't do a whoops

I still need some test lead clips. I might as well get another set of quality leads too, get a good kit if they have one. Something with a good selection of clips. (I have 3 sets of cheap leads which i despise but they are usable in a pinch so I won't toss them.)

Last edited:
A freak man-made 90 MPH wind blew across my county a few weeks ago.
We lost power for 3 days and had to rely on a generator to maintain our three filled freezers.

We are 2 days away from a 6 month hurricane season here in Florida, which will be more major storms than normal.
Geopolitical wise, we have another six months of man made storms to hit us prior to the election.
We have a another 6 months of major solar flairs to hit the earth, that may create power grid problems.

Accordingly, this week I built (2) A/B Switch systems to control the generator
from inside the home as to output locations for power.
This is in the event that I am not here and my wife can maintain things more easily.

Generator: Coleman 10 HP with 2 separate 20 Amp outputs simultaneously.

A/B Switch #1: Will power the bedroom A/C OR Freezer #1 (10 feet away.)
A/B Switch #2: Will power up Office (starlink internet dish & computer)
OR 1 freezer and 1 freezer/frig combo (alternating 10’ cords).

Problem solved:
Before we had five long extension cords leading to the generator. Some were cheap(#16 wire?).
My concern was that cheap wire over long runs may constrict the
amperage needed by the freezer motors and burning one out.

Now I am assured that all circuits are on #12 wire. Only two long power cords and (2) 10’ cords are required.
I need only purchase 1 short 12’ cord and my rig is ready.

I am not an electrician and hope this was not overkill.
If so, we at least can move output around without going out into the rain.
The switches will be inside the windows. The short extension cords will run back out the window to the next window to feed those freezers.

Amazon Switch $13

Attachments

• IMG_3449.JPG
    IMG_3449.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have not looked in years well since Y2k but why not buy MREs

I buy the Mainstay bars and MRE's. But you have to also plan on and be ready to eat Mainstay bars and MRE's. They aren't as cheap as they once were and both their shelf life is limited if you don't store them under ideal conditions.

I needed a bigger medical travel kit. Don’t know when it happened but I went from being a prepper to a slow moving target. Age catches up with us all I guess.:rolleyes:

First, skb makes great water tight cases here in the usa. They have lines designed for weapons, cameras and electronic test equipment (MIL-STD 810H). A few can be used as musical instrument cases. For instance, my guitar case was made to carry 2 AR style rifles. They just changed the foam inserts to fit guitars. https://www.skbcases.com/

I have a small skb case I bought in the 90’s. I had job assignments that lasted for weeks so I flew with a handgun often (those were the days). This one is id – 16”x10”x5”. After 30years and 1000’s of air and vehicle miles its still water tight. The hinges/latches and handle snug as when new. A little beat up looking but it stood the test of time. I need more room now, make all my tinctures/meds. And since I’m a slow target I might need a lot more bandaids.

So a bigger case is in order.

Pics 1/2, old case has 800cu.in volume, contains standard first aid gear and a few items for more serious injuries. But currently I have to carry all my herb medicines in separate kit.

Pics 3/4/5, new case, its 2392cu.in, 23x13x8 inches. 3 times the volume of the old case. It’s made for handguns. The 4 foam inserts can be removed or cut to meet my needs. I can still use the case for weapons or remove some foam and have a serious medical kit.

It was a little pricey but on the other hand I’m not trusting medical gear or weapons to a poor quality case, has to be waterproof and tough. The new case is the same quality I’ve come to expect from skb. I highly recommend them. (some cases come with Tsa locks, all have eyelets for adding pad locks)

old
20240603_skb old a00.jpg
20240603_skb old a01.jpg

New case

20240607_155137a.jpg
20240607_155306a.jpg
20240607_155307a.jpg

Last edited:
A new member of the family… I say family because I already have 2 generators. Both the old ones had fuel tank issues… One a 5yr old genrac that had an issue last spring. The other 15yrs old with a cheap plastic tank that cracked. I also got bad fuel several times last year. I had both genny's running but couldn’t keep them running.

I’m pretty sure it was bad fuel but because the problem coincided with tank issues there’s doubt… Bottom line, no point in throwing good money after bad until I’m sure fuel is the current problem.

Now I have another genrac, same model as the one I got a few years ago. It was on sale and I got a 10% military discount. I applied the discount to an extended warranty. Usually never get those but made an exception because of fuel issues. I still got it for less than $900 out the door. When I get it out of the box I’ll soon know if my fuel issues are resolved.

20240609_genrac2_53a.jpg

@jimcosta hope the storms treat you kindly
Looking towards next winter here- though it feels like we haven't left the last one!
I've let a few things run down in the medicine/ toiletries section because of dates and some things that we didn't like and get left to last.
So that will be this months priority, and between now and August stocking upon more fuel. Coal and wood mostly, having cleared out a section I've two new storage areas. Love this time of year, seem to get so much done, and winter stuff is cheaper.

@Peanut post reminded me that I have/had a couple brand new generators in storage. Which does me no good if my main generator won't start and I suddenly need them. Champion 2500 watt dual fuel inverter gens. Got a sweet deal last fall and picked up two of them along with a parallel kit. Got them up running, let them power some random stuff for a while until they ran dry, then shut em down. Now I am going to change the oil and put them away until its time to use em or test em.

A TIP........Learn how to "RE-EXCITE" your generators. It is super easy, "IF YOU KNOW HOW". Instructions are in your manual.

When it will not start, first check to make sure it is level. Second thing is re-excite it.

Generators-
put a valve in the gas line to drain the tank after use. Then run the fuel out of the carb
Dual fuel are nice. Propane lasts forever, gasoline need to be rotated every couple months. Car can handle 5g of stale gas.

Hook ups
A/B switches are a waste of time and money
Transfer Switches are good, but run limited circuits. Costs to run additional lines to the breaker box are prohibitive.
Interlock switches are the way to go. Use your breaker box to control where you need power at a given time.

If you call to get a standby system, they will tell you 1800 for a house. Truth is 1200-1400 is all you need.
With an Interlock, and proper power management most people can get by with a 7500.

I have to use mine a couple time a year.

Last edited:
My gas powered generator and solar system was extremely helpful as we lost power when a tornado hit us memorial day night . I even had several cans of gasoline waiting for such an emergency , as I do as preppers do " I prepare " . A good thing that I had the gasoline and the set up ready to go as downed timber made roadway travel impossible . My house was spared structure damage but some folks in the area , their homes were pulled apart , people sucked out and killed . Slabs were left where homes once stood .

Last edited:
Bummer. Wow! You were hit hard! We've been on tornado watch 3 times recently, but only one damaging storm. Just had the roof patched yesterday. And only once for a short time, loss of power. Our generator kicked on. Some towns near us were not as lucky and were without power for four days.

Bummer. Wow! You were hit hard! We've been on tornado watch 3 times recently, but only one damaging storm. Just had the roof patched yesterday. And only once for a short time, loss of power. Our generator kicked on. Some towns near us were not as lucky and were without power for four days.
Same here! I know people near Dallas who have a Generac generator (so do some of their neighbors)! When the power goes off the natural gas generator kicks on. In their case the natural gas was turned off in fear of explosions due to tornado damage. No working generator! Hard lesson learned!🙁

Same here! I know people near Dallas who have a Generac generator (so do some of their neighbors)! When the power goes off the natural gas generator kicks on. In their case the natural gas was turned off in fear of explosions due to tornado damage. No working generator! Hard lesson learned!🙁

And this is why my main generator is a tri-fuel. Gotta have options when the **** hits the fan.

I have redundant video cameras, mostly wired POE cams with a UPS and backup generator. But I also have a few motion activated wireless cams and game cams just to add some extra coverage and to hopefully help dissuade people from wanting to enter the kill zone.

I like to have one wired camera on top that covers a deeper-wider view and one below it the covers closer to the building. One of the top cams has been acting up which of course automatically made me think I am being infiltrated. Turns out the camera was just getting old and was ready to be replaced. So today I climbed the ladder and replaced it. Now I will have to order some more just to have them on stock. I was expecting more than 2-3 years out this camera but apparently they only have 1 year warranty for a reason.

I think it’s time my wife brought home more expired suture kits.
She does sutures externally once a year. Still won’t do me to save me a trip to an MD.
That time will be coming soon enough.

I built my first serious emergency/first-aid kit in 1990. Over the next decade, resupply and updates were easy since I worked in the medical field. By ‘05 many things had changed including my health. I started from scratch and rethought all my medical gear, built another ‘kit’.

A few weeks ago I realized I needed rethink my gear once again. Given current events I wanted a single grab and go kit. Something that would give me the best chance of responding if all hell broke loose in my front yard or to get back if 100+ miles from home. $1100 later and I’m done, placed my last order today. The hardest part was figuring out which molle pouches I needed and how to incorporate my herbal medicines which until now, was a completely separate kit.

I ended up with a large standalone medical kit that is still portable in a waterproof case. Inside will be smaller ‘modular’ kits in molle pouches. A first aid kit, a trauma kit, surgical tools and a general medicine kit. Also contains a small survival kit which has a compass, fire-starting, water purification, comm gear and emergency rations for 1 week.

I’ll post pics when I’m finished...

Last edited:
I did notice a few days ago my emergency bag was looking a bit low . On several occasions my tribe's emergency personnel " nurse " has borrowed my emergency bag to patch up neighbors . When injuries occur sometimes under the Biden economy folks simply do not have the funds to go to an emergency room . Under the communist regime people are quietly dying from lack of doctors that quite rather than bow to communist regulations . People are quietly dying when their needed medicine is unaffordable under communist rule . People are quietly dying from poor diets as they can not afford Nutritious food . People are quietly dying from exposure to the elements as they lost their homes . -- My response as to what I am doing today to prepare , working in the garden carefully monitoring my new baby chicks , cutting firewood from tornado damaged trees , as I focus for what lays ahead .

I am all about 5 gallon buckets. Especially sealing up food in mylar bags inside 5 gallon buckets with oxygen absorbers. I have several buckets of white rice, red beans, black beans, flour, corn meal, salt and sugar. Plus I have one bucket so far of yellow popcorn and one bucket of dried pasta. I also have two dozen of those 30 day survival food 5 gallon buckets of dehydrated meals from when I started out, but I don't see me buying any more of those at this point.

I still have a couple dozen clean white food safe buckets and lids, bags and absorbers ready to go. So what else should I fill buckets with? Think food not stuff in general.

I should have added that I am not planning for an apocalypse. I want a 2-3 year hedge of protection against chain of supply stoppages. I have decided, at my peril, that will cover me for most catastrophes and incidents I feel could realistically befall on me. Anything more serious and I presume we are in all out war and then all bets are off anyway. My 5 gallon bucket stock room is internal to the structure, no direct sunlight, cooler than most rooms and the buckets are off the concrete floor.

yellow popcorn
I had about 25 pounds or so of that stored and even in the mylar, it still went a bit stale. Popcorn and mylar don't mix very well. Over time that popcorn tends to break the seal. So, the last time I put popcorn away, I sealed it with my vacuum sealer in glass jars. I like that much better b/c I can immediately see what's in the glass jar on the shelf and the seal won't break due to the pokey nature of the popcorn. We'll see if it keeps it's freshness any better over time.....

Although if you live in an earthquake prone area......the mylar in buckets would be a better option. Stale popcorn is better than NO popcorn.:popcorn:

I can see now why people dehydrate food from cans when it approaches the ‘expiration date’. I have cans 3 or more years past date and just opened some apricots. Not good, with the flavor more like the can itself. Time to bring out the dehydrator and use it, or consider freeze drier.

I should have added that I am not planning for an apocalypse. I want a 2-3 year hedge of protection against chain of supply stoppages. I have decided, at my peril, that will cover me for most catastrophes and incidents I feel could realistically befall on me. Anything more serious and I presume we are in all out war and then all bets are off anyway. My 5 gallon bucket stock room is internal to the structure, no direct sunlight, cooler than most rooms and the buckets are off the concrete floor.
Wheat berries would be good. (You have a grinder?). Also sugar has no expiration date. Salt is another. Those are what popped into my head- are those the sorts of things you had in mind?

Latest posts

Back