This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Original price here at that store is $11.99 so yeah, I got a bargain. Forgot to mention hunny bought a new Kingsford charcoal grill for $43.99. Last one on the floor so took the 'model'. Just need to tighten down the screws. Our last one is in need of new legs but for this price, hard to pass up
Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a deal than fix what you've got.

I've just got back from doing a big shop. This afternoon I intend to get ahead with cooked dinners for the week. I have a Ham Hock cooking for soup and I dug out my crockpot only to find the bowl had been broken in the move:( I will buy another. Very short term prepping today.:D

bummer about the crook pot...you able to get a new bowl for it?..cause im thinking.maybe,go ahead and get a new one.then order a new bowl to replace the broken one..but only if it's worth doing that..

I've ordered a new one, but that's a good idea to check for a replacement bowl.

yeah..never know when you might need a back-up for something.especially if there's gonna be a big get-together.where it'll help to have 2 instead of 1..

Quilted?? What is That?
They not only have a design on the glass, hence the term, but they don't have the shoulders in the jars. Which means they are easier to pour out the contents. I don't really care about the aesthetics so much, but she got a great deal on them.

Hey, I am not a picky person at all and a canning jar is a canning jar :)! Even though it says quilted jelly jar, I have put plenty of other things in them when sis gifts me those for B-Day or Christmas

I managed to finish planting the greenhouse this morning! I'm trying to get a last crop of green beans, peas, onions, chives, carrots, spinache and radishes. If I can get my son to till the outside garden I'd like to get some cabbage and lettuces in, not to mention another crop of potatoes. Oh, it may not look like much, but I picked my first 4 asparagus stalks today! It took me several tries to get the stuff to finally live, then a year developing a good root system, and finally, 4 little stalks... Next year I'm hoping to eat fresh asparagus all season.
image.jpeg

Ooooooh Asparagus tips how English................How sweet are they?
I didn't even try them yet, but will today. I love asparagus, espechially with a little mozzarella cheese melted over them.... There were a few more that were still small sticking up from the ground. I was hoping to get enough to make a decent side dish.

Got almost half of the water line trenches backfilled yesterday and the septic system is installed and covered. Have about a thousand feet of water line trench left. Yesterday my wife came up on the 4 wheeler to tell me something when I was working near the barn. As I climbed down off the tractor I almost stepped on a rattlesnake. That's the fifth rattler I killed just in the barn area this summer. Got a half dozen more in other areas around the property.

Got almost half of the water line trenches backfilled yesterday and the septic system is installed and covered. Have about a thousand feet of water line trench left. Yesterday my wife came up on the 4 wheeler to tell me something when I was working near the barn. As I climbed down off the tractor I almost stepped on a rattlesnake. That's the fifth rattler I killed just in the barn area this summer. Got a half dozen more in other areas around the property.
I'd love to see pictures of the property.

I'd love to see pictures of the property.
Here's a pic of the barn area. Got water up to the left side of the barn. There will be a corral around that side of the barn too.
IMG_20160907_155917504_HDR.jpg
To the left of the gooseneck trailer will be the pig pen, chicken coop, fur shed and rabbit barn. Going to fence in about 5 acres around this area to keep the stock away from the house and outbuildings. The well is about 1800 feet down the hill from here.

real nice..looks like yall got your self's some good land there,as well as a good barn..get much wild life that pas through there?

Here's a pic of the barn area. Got water up to the left side of the barn. There will be a corral around that side of the barn too. View attachment 6055 To the left of the gooseneck trailer will be the pig pen, chicken coop, fur shed and rabbit barn. Going to fence in about 5 acres around this area to keep the stock away from the house and outbuildings. The well is about 1800 feet down the hill from here.
Great looking barn!

Yep. That's why we chose this place. We have several thousand acres to find food any time of the year. We also have salmon, steelhead, trout and other fish in the area.
How close is the nearest neighbor?

Today I bought a travel trailer (or caravan for our English friends) to live in for the winter. It's a 28 foot 2017 model. Haven't seen it yet but it looked nice on the computer. Will pick it up on Monday. Ordered a new Generac 10,000 watt generator for the well pump. The 8kw keeps tripping breakers. I guess pulling water from 650' under ground and pushing it through almost a half mile of pipe is too much for it. I'll use it on the trailer for now. Also ordered a new Miller Trailblazer EFI 325 amp welder. I need to build some cattle guards and get them installed soon.

Latest posts

Back