This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today we took Norm in to get processed. . . he is about 900 lbs on the hoof at 1 1/2 old. I woke up to the normal routine but then developed a headache from hell and hunny came home early wanting to load up Norm so I threw on my mucking boots to help round up and load. I did take my tickle stick with me cause the bulls have just been making a ruckus lately cause Elsie is still in season. It really didn't take us long to get him thru the shoot this time, it was our third time to try. . . he has been ornery in the past and he did out do us at those times. I tried the peppermint oil and then some aspirin with neither touching it, but I did feel a little better when Mr Goings and we were talking about how to process the meat. Norm was one of my bottle fed calves so I did feel bad and had to give him a few extra strokes of love when we left. On our way home, hunny took us out at Floyds so I didn't have to worry about dinner, even though I had a dinner already planned, I was good with that. Yeah I took the majority of mine home, . . just trying to keep what I had eaten down. Sweet hunny even fed for me tonight, just looking at me knowing how I felt. Ended up taking a couple Ibuprofen & an aspirin, that has been my go to when I have the migraines in the past, along with a glass of wine. It has finally numbed some, so hoping it doesn't come back when the alcohol wears off. Maybe I am stressing because I have to take mom shopping tomorrow and I know it will be a LLLLOOONNNGGG day. Have I ever said that I really hate shopping!!

Hello everyone, has been a while finally got some time to catch up, and some good news. We got this place for a real good price, 4 bedrooms huge living room separate dining room, real nice back porch, double garage, separate "BBQ" Braai Room, 4 vehicle carport, 2 x 7000 lt water tank, borehole fitted with a wind pump, brick built chicken coop and a small dam 5000 lt.
d2580d8856c7a455a83ceab42575e8e5.jpg

819c53e32715b612c8286e0c56e9d745.jpg
0500874a9dc5382d41eaaa4ea18b8f9f.jpg
80782d9eb01cdf73c0bcea1e6d26d8c8.jpg
59dee013162ef11de524d44b91506738.jpg
8598ad4adb35daedaa045f1b6d71fbd2.jpg
db04f215b929a39fdfd406d2e1e18bb1.jpg
46ee92768e998c640d49a8e14bc23ed4.jpg
1a78beaeda3ae23c9faf47b66903dfd1.jpg
3c00796f63fad4be0a3f17a39e622c81.jpg

Will only be moving in end of May next year.

Congratulations Joe! Looks like a nice house, hope you can put down some roots.

Check into leasing solar, if available. At least as an option to consider. Much cheaper, and you don't have to maintain, replace.

Check into leasing solar, if available. At least as an option to consider. Much cheaper, and you don't have to maintain, replace.
Unfortunately not an option, so I will have to maintain and replace.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A muppet of farmer up here had a smallish array of about 60 panels on a SE facing slope and after about 5 years he was complaining the money he recieved for generating power had gone consistently DOWN. Energy company went to visit and found the farmer had not cleaned the panels since they were installed, they were coated in Algae and moss.

My headache did not return this morning and I was able to do my daughterly duty of taking mom Christmas shopping and only 7 hours worth. Went to the Code Blue store to get my sweet hunny a new leather badge wallet and the guy working still remembers my man asking about him and saying to tell him hello, but cant tell him that till after Christmas or he would know what his gift is. Did pick up some Christmas tins at 70% off that I will fill up with some baked goods to hand out for some friends. Hunny did the best prep for today though. He picked up a wood stove heater for the bedroom. So now I have the fireplace in the living room / kitchen area and once the wood stove gets installed a heat source for the back of the house too. Biggest bonus, I can cook on it. . . if only I could cook on it while staying in bed, but that's not possible. Oh well. I cant have everything. It was loaded in the back of his truck with a fork lift. He got home after I did and camer in asking how strong I was today. . .Yeah, I have some muscle, more than some but OMGoodness! That is full cast iron and we had issues getting it down off the truck, onto the dolly and then up the steps to get in the house but WE DID IT!! It is now sitting in the hallway. We are both at work tomorrow but off on Sat so thinking that will probably be install day.

Well ima little late but i subscribed to battle box couple months ago got my second box in the mail a few days ago! Awsome **** so far pretty good investment . Just a basic box subscriber and for 24.99 a month its worth it ! in this latest box i got a wool blanket have the same one in my survival gear which ran me 30 bucks so that pays for the box, got a nice chunk of fat wood, flint and steel set, the bush crafters bible which is full of pretty much anything bushcraft youd want to know, and a Mora bushcraft knife carbon steel so it will strike a ferro rod so thats cool. first box i received was the welcome box .. wasnt impressed by it but it was ok contained a box of insect repel candles and like incense stick things, a tin of the pathfinder mini infernos, another chunk of tinder material, a bunch of quick cinch tent stakes, an Exotac lighter case that ive been using everyday since i got it , and a free membership to Readyman which is pretty cool check it out ! My leather working has progressed greatly ! got lots of people wanting holsters,knife sheaths, gun slings etc. so thats cool. Havnt been able to do much prepping lately been so busy with work and my 5 year old and we just recently had a new baby shes 1 month old atm. main reason i subbed battle box haha let them to some of my prepping for me! anyway just wanted to throw some **** out there i know its been a while since ive thrown out any real posts! srry for the horrible grammar ,spelling,etc ima dumb hick lol.

Well ima little late but i subscribed to battle box couple months ago got my second box in the mail a few days ago! Awsome **** so far pretty good investment . Just a basic box subscriber and for 24.99 a month its worth it ! in this latest box i got a wool blanket have the same one in my survival gear which ran me 30 bucks so that pays for the box, got a nice chunk of fat wood, flint and steel set, the bush crafters bible which is full of pretty much anything bushcraft youd want to know, and a Mora bushcraft knife carbon steel so it will strike a ferro rod so thats cool. first box i received was the welcome box .. wasnt impressed by it but it was ok contained a box of insect repel candles and like incense stick things, a tin of the pathfinder mini infernos, another chunk of tinder material, a bunch of quick cinch tent stakes, an Exotac lighter case that ive been using everyday since i got it , and a free membership to Readyman which is pretty cool check it out ! My leather working has progressed greatly ! got lots of people wanting holsters,knife sheaths, gun slings etc. so thats cool. Havnt been able to do much prepping lately been so busy with work and my 5 year old and we just recently had a new baby shes 1 month old atm. main reason i subbed battle box haha let them to some of my prepping for me! anyway just wanted to throw some **** out there i know its been a while since ive thrown out any real posts! srry for the horrible grammar ,spelling,etc ima dumb hick lol.
Congrats on the new little one!

Today I got a few cans for the cupboard and finally got round to starting a batch of Carolina Coleslaw fermenting. It must be the right time of year for making slaw over here. Both the red cabbage I got last month and the cabbage I got today were weeping juice as soon as the salt went on. I'm really looking forward to this.
The red sauerkraut is sooooo much better than pickled red cabbage and the bonus is you can rinse it and still use it as normal red cabbage.

I've been meanng to post an update on the Carolina Coleslaw. It fermented really well and looks really good. The only problem was the the onion overpowered everything so next year when I make more I'll leave out the onion and add some chopped Spring onion or chives before serving.

got my running around done in town,and saw a couple of items i plan on getting at dollar tree,and 1 item at wal-mart next month..now im rebuilding my home made shelves where they take up less space,seeing we now have the new food cabinet in place,and mostly full of store bought canned foods.rebuilding the shelves will give mom the needed space,for going past them on her scooter.and make it easier to go out and in through the garage door..pluss,this will give me some extra 1x6's to do whatever with..

I've been meanng to post an update on the Carolina Coleslaw. It fermented really well and looks really good. The only problem was the the onion overpowered everything so next year when I make more I'll leave out the onion and add some chopped Spring onion or chives before serving.
I'm still scared to attempt another batch after that slimey science project I created last time....

Today we took Norm in to get processed. . . he is about 900 lbs on the hoof at 1 1/2 old. I woke up to the normal routine but then developed a headache from hell and hunny came home early wanting to load up Norm so I threw on my mucking boots to help round up and load. I did take my tickle stick with me cause the bulls have just been making a ruckus lately cause Elsie is still in season. It really didn't take us long to get him thru the shoot this time, it was our third time to try. . . he has been ornery in the past and he did out do us at those times. I tried the peppermint oil and then some aspirin with neither touching it, but I did feel a little better when Mr Goings and we were talking about how to process the meat. Norm was one of my bottle fed calves so I did feel bad and had to give him a few extra strokes of love when we left. On our way home, hunny took us out at Floyds so I didn't have to worry about dinner, even though I had a dinner already planned, I was good with that. Yeah I took the majority of mine home, . . just trying to keep what I had eaten down. Sweet hunny even fed for me tonight, just looking at me knowing how I felt. Ended up taking a couple Ibuprofen & an aspirin, that has been my go to when I have the migraines in the past, along with a glass of wine. It has finally numbed some, so hoping it doesn't come back when the alcohol wears off. Maybe I am stressing because I have to take mom shopping tomorrow and I know it will be a LLLLOOONNNGGG day. Have I ever said that I really hate shopping!!

I can't have cattle,if I went out and bought a calf it would die of old age in the backyard,,I am to soft hearted for my own good,,,wild game not a problem but once it has a name it's safe,,,,,heck I rabbit hunt but not near the house these rabbits are so tame I can get within 10 feet of some of them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:oops:

I'm in the same boat. When we retire, we expect to move to our BOL. Maybe have chickens, but I'm not too worried about getting close to them. Calves, hell yeah.... tough to kill a 'family member' lol...

I'm in the same boat. When we retire, we expect to move to our BOL. Maybe have chickens, but I'm not too worried about getting close to them. Calves, hell yeah.... tough to kill a 'family member' lol...

I hunt on a property with cows,,,every time I go there they follow me around like a bunch of puppies,,,big puppies but puppies just the same,,1 of my Uncles bought calfs another a pig with the intent of putting them in the freezer but both made the same mistake,,,,they let their kids become attached to them,,the pig was the worst they had a little girl they were always together,it was comical to see that little girl being followed by a 300lb + porker,it die of old age in it's sleep

One of my uncles had a brahma bull when I was a kid. That bull hated my uncle (who had a cattle prod), but followed me like a puppy because I'd throw bad apples into the pasture out of my yard. Damn thing would put his head under my hand so I'd scratch it.

He died of old age too, but left a long line of offspring.

I hunt on a property with cows,,,every time I go there they follow me around like a bunch of puppies,,,big puppies but puppies just the same,,1 of my Uncles bought calfs another a pig with the intent of putting them in the freezer but both made the same mistake,,,,they let their kids become attached to them,,the pig was the worst they had a little girl they were always together,it was comical to see that little girl being followed by a 300lb + porker,it die of old age in it's sleep
I don't quite understand getting attached to your food. If a person can't do their own butchering then call the guy and have it sent to the processing plant. Then all you do is pick up a bunch of wrapped frozen cuts. To me there is nothing more satisfying than cooking up a big juicy steak that I raised myself.

Well ima little late but i subscribed to battle box couple months ago got my second box in the mail a few days ago! Awsome **** so far pretty good investment

Just heard about this today. My wife already gets different nerd boxes each month. I certainly hinted at this...hehe...

I don't quite understand getting attached to your food. If a person can't do their own butchering then call the guy and have it sent to the processing plant. Then all you do is pick up a bunch of wrapped frozen cuts. To me there is nothing more satisfying than cooking up a big juicy steak that I raised myself.

On that note...not sure most folks know this. (or at least younger ones)

Last night, I saw a ribeye roast on sale for $6.99 a pound.
Meanwhile, the cut steaks are at $9.99 a pound.

But, if you ask, the butcher will gladly cut the roast into individual steaks, at no charge, and you pay just as if you bought the roast...so I ended up with 4 ribeye steaks at $6.99 a pound. ;)

I can't have cattle,if I went out and bought a calf it would die of old age in the backyard,,I am to soft hearted for my own good,,,wild game not a problem but once it has a name it's safe,,,,,heck I rabbit hunt but not near the house these rabbits are so tame I can get within 10 feet of some of them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:oops:
:D. . . Lol! I used to tell the boys that they were not allowed to hunt rabbits on our property because I really liked my rabbits that hung around the homestead. Then they started getting thru my fenced in garden eating all my young tender veggies and they were free game after that. Now that the boys have grown and left home, I just plant a few extra of what I know they like to eat on. . .

ok I will try to put some light on this,now I know that this is just a weakness on my part but if you raise it or go pick the animal out,,yeah I want that one,,you just made it personal,you have chosen to end a life but at the market the deed has been done for you,,so there is no remorse you don't see in your mind the calf you raised or the pig or whatever,,,

It's kinda like a co-worker I have when telling her about us slaughtering a bunch of roosters., . . .she ask why we just don't buy them out of the store so we didn't have to kill any animals. I know how we raised ours and they are not pumped full of hormones and anything else they are injected with now days. That is one of the main reasons people get sick with cancer, in my opinion. Same goes with our pigs and beef. We do our own pigs, but when it comes to anything bigger than a deer, it gets shipped off to a place that has a walk-in cooler to keep the meat. I love my animals, but they are here for a reason and that is to feed me and my family. They have a good life here and get lots of love and attention. . . some are harder then others. I know when my milk cow Betsey no longer throws calves, it will be her turn. It's just how it goes, but I will be torn up for weeks when it comes.

It's kinda like a co-worker I have when telling her about us slaughtering a bunch of roosters., . . .she ask why we just don't buy them out of the store so we didn't have to kill any animals. I know how we raised ours and they are not pumped full of hormones and anything else they are injected with now days. That is one of the main reasons people get sick with cancer, in my opinion. Same goes with our pigs and beef. We do our own pigs, but when it comes to anything bigger than a deer, it gets shipped off to a place that has a walk-in cooler to keep the meat. I love my animals, but they are here for a reason and that is to feed me and my family. They have a good life here and get lots of love and attention. . . some are harder then others. I know when my milk cow Betsey no longer throws calves, it will be her turn. It's just how it goes, but I will be torn up for weeks when it comes.
I couldn't agree more with all the chemicals we give to our mass produced animals making us sick. Why would any intelligent person mess with their food? As you said, at least you know that what your eating is cleaner and healthier, and knowing that they were not in a tiny cage or mistreated while alive means a lot to me.

Haven't been doing much in the way of prepping lately due to the weather. In fact I've had to use some of my prepping items a couple of times.
Tomorrow I'm going to the hardware store (200 mile round trip) and pick up some light fixtures and start wiring the barn. For now I'll run it off a generator until this summer when I install the solar electric system. Got the lumber ordered for the loft in the barn. I'll start hauling it home as soon as I can get my truck out.

Well, this wasn't exactly a bumper crop, but I'm pretty proud of my experiment to see how late in the season I could grow potatoes. I'll eat half of them and use the others for seed in the spring. I have about half red potatoes and half white ones.
image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back