This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some years are better than others. . . this year from what I hear from others that I have talked to has been tough! This would include other members here and family / friends spread out in our country. I was able to have a bumper crop of both green beans and dried beans but anything else I tried to grow was hardly even worth it. . .Fortunately, the crop I had put up the pervious year lasted me through this year. I just hope I can do better this year!! If not, my stockroom will dwindle down even more. Don't give up. . . It is worth it in the long run!!

I'm not complaining - as dry as it way, we got a lot of peas (we freeze ours). Green beans did okay - everything else wasn't too good...

I was just whining about shelling peas - I was way too good at it as a kid and I still have nightmares about shelling purple hull peas by the ton. I'm sure it kept me out of trouble, but that would probably be called child abuse now.

Oh - our tomatoes didn't do so well either, except for the tons of cherry tomatoes we had...

No you cant!!! I hear the Mountain House Meals are pretty good, I have never had any of them myself. I have learned how to dehydrate some of my own, but the shelf life is not so long. I got some heirloom seeds that I requested from sis and my sweet hunny got us a wood burning stove & then my very own tractor that had a frontend loader for $1 (totally separate from the stove)! The local yacht club had to vacate the property quickly after it got sold out from under them so basically sold everything that was worth something very cheaply! Honestly I LOVE free and am always on the lookout for freeby or nearly items. You just need to look for it. . .
You got a tractor for 1.00? Wow

Ok I totally missed and too tired to search for, what went wrong when canning peas?
The peas turned out fine, and I still have a few 1/2 pint jars left. The problem came in at the amount of work it takes to shell enough of them to can! Very time consuming. Felt like days to get enough to can a handful of small jars.
Oh, I just learned something. The peas I have growing right now do real well in the cold. The plants aren't hurt by freezing at all. However, the pea pods do freeze and the peas turn to mush. In the future I will pick as much as I can before a freeze.

Some years are better than others. . . this year from what I hear from others that I have talked to has been tough! This would include other members here and family / friends spread out in our country. I was able to have a bumper crop of both green beans and dried beans but anything else I tried to grow was hardly even worth it. . .Fortunately, the crop I had put up the pervious year lasted me through this year. I just hope I can do better this year!! If not, my stockroom will dwindle down even more. Don't give up. . . It is worth it in the long run!!
Everyone I've talked with had a hard year gardening too. The potatoes, carrots, onions and green beans were my only really good producers. My most disappointing thing was the lack of okra. I had to pickel some hot and spicey green beans instead. Ok, but just not the same....

I've got two goals for this weekend:

1. Getting my bedroom cleaned, organized, including our closets
2. Getting my garage workbench cleaned and organized, as I'm just awful about putting my tools away

Complicates things, that I was content to just stay home for New Years, but now we're invited to this swanky party. It's actually kind of cool, because this is the kind of shin-dig local celebs would be at, etc., a rooftop party, very high-class, and we don't pay a dime for it due to our invite. (we don't move in these circles, but good friends who do....got some fancy cabana with a private bartender, whole bit...nice)...

Of course, I'll end up buying her a new dress and shoes (maybe even a new suit if my silver one and/or black one is a bit snug), and of course getting a hotel so I can actually drink and enjoy myself. I'll likely get a new tie too, to match the theme (diamonds in the sky).... Still, not looking a gift horse in the mouth here...as it will likely be the only kind of party like this I ever go to...lol.

http://www.therooftopeve.com/

Last edited:
The peas turned out fine, and I still have a few 1/2 pint jars left. The problem came in at the amount of work it takes to shell enough of them to can! Very time consuming. Felt like days to get enough to can a handful of small jars.
Oh, I just learned something. The peas I have growing right now do real well in the cold. The plants aren't hurt by freezing at all. However, the pea pods do freeze and the peas turn to mush. In the future I will pick as much as I can before a freeze.
Have you looked into a Mr Pea Sheller?? http://leemfgco.com/Category/Pea-Shellers You may find it cheaper somewhere else. I have a friend who has the big commercial one and he loves it. I have thought about investing into the hand cranked one myself. With my carpal tunnel acting up at times, it would be very nice and takes no time to do in comparison.

You got a tractor for 1.00? Wow
YEP!! :p That is the tractor that will be painted pink come spring for me, Sweet Pea and any other little granddaughters that may come in the future. The paint job had to be held off since it is too wet in the winter months. Thinking big lavender flowers with yellow centers to go on too. . . Even has a cup holder for my Pink Coffee Mug that hunny had my name engraved on . . . I am not a pink person normally but now that I have a little toddle bug, I have come around. Think she might be a little girly girl but hopefully with Nana's influence I can put a little tomboy in her. Besides I am trying to keep my sweet hunny off of it. He has a bigger one and he can continue taking that one out to the cow pasture.

Have you looked into a Mr Pea Sheller?? http://leemfgco.com/Category/Pea-Shellers You may find it cheaper somewhere else. I have a friend who has the big commercial one and he loves it. I have thought about investing into the hand cranked one myself. With my carpal tunnel acting up at times, it would be very nice and takes no time to do in comparison.
I think I'm just going to plant less peas.... I really like them fresh in a salad, but not enough to buy the sheller for em. Appreciate the link though. Still can't believe how lucky you were on your tractor! I'm thrilled for you! I'm just starting to look for a used one, and a dollar isn't in my future. I also want one with the backhoe on it, which raises the price even more.

That is a great price on the hand crank one though.

Started wiring the barn yesterday. Putting in LED lights and adding outlets all around. Added an outlet in one of the stalls for a milking machine too. Can't/don't want to, milk by hand anymore. Going to run it all off a generator for now until summer when I get the solar electric system installed. Will start building the loft as soon as it warms up a little. Getting tired of working outside in these below zero days.

A milk machine is very nice to have around! Even when it isn't working properly, you can normally still get it to go with one finger, sometimes a screwdriver depending on how hard the slide thing is to move. Done many a times but it sure beats milking by hand! It is also a lot cleaner. . . even though you hose down and wash teats down, it always seems like they need to take a poop at milking time and unless you have a poop shoot rigged or are very quick about it, your milking effort goes to waste for your consumption. . . always good for the hogs though.

Started wiring the barn yesterday. Putting in LED lights and adding outlets all around. Added an outlet in one of the stalls for a milking machine too. Can't/don't want to, milk by hand anymore. Going to run it all off a generator for now until summer when I get the solar electric system installed. Will start building the loft as soon as it warms up a little. Getting tired of working outside in these below zero days.
And I was whining about working in 35 deg's! I was in a bucket truck on the windiest cold day all day yesterday, 50ft in the air. It was so windy I had to hold the light pole and bucket together while my son pulled the ballasts out to replace. God awful day! Left at 9am and got home at midnight. I'm too old to be doing this crap anymore!
Sorry, got off topic there, the barn sounds like it's coming along great. Looking fowards to some Picts of progress on the house this summer. I can't even imagine working in below zero temps though. I think working with the seasons is easier than trying to work against them.

On a warm note here, my goal of working to function without the grid is slowly working out. It's in the 30's outside right now, and still windy. Generally nasty weather to be outside in. Anyways, the porch/sunroom I built is working great at keeping the house warm. I open two low Windows and the door while the wood stove is going and it naturally cycles the cooler air from the house onto the porch, and heated air rises through the door back into the house. I'm really happy, and comfortably warm! It's hard to beat a good wood fire on a cold night.

The blue one is my "new" tractor. Not sure if you can tell, but we have gotten a lot of rain here. On the other side of the garden, we have a roadway with a small culvert that was really too small since it kept getting clogged and little draining of the goat pasture. Last week hunny dug up the culvert to replace with a bigger one but right now we just have a big trench across the roadway. We needed to take hay out to the cows New Years Day. Hunny took his red tractor with the spear over this trench. . and my little baby had to pull his out. Maybe that will be an incentive to get the road fixed

Attachments

• IMG_20170102_080808.jpg
    IMG_20170102_080808.jpg
    570.9 KB
Nice toy but I want to see it pink with flowers!
Gotta wait till spring, but know I will post a pic! Sunday I saw a new crochet pattern (at least new for me) so ended up figuring out the how to and worked on it since it rained most of the day. My neighbor called tonight asking if we still had our sling that was made for a calf. Another neighbors family member was pumping gas, talking with a lady across from him. She had a baby calf that she was taking to the vet to get put down. She lived a couple hours away from her ranch and the calf's momma wouldn't nurse him. I don't know the why's on not just bringing him home to bottle feed but she couldn't drive back and for so asked if he wanted the calf! Poor thing was very weak and not wanting to stand. Neighbor wanted to sling him to at least get him on his feet for awhile. He's about a week old and eating good now so should pull through with bottle feeding. Don't envie him right now with the bottle feeding. . . been there a few times myself and once with the two.

Gotta wait till spring, but know I will post a pic! Sunday I saw a new crochet pattern (at least new for me) so ended up figuring out the how to and worked on it since it rained most of the day. My neighbor called tonight asking if we still had our sling that was made for a calf. Another neighbors family member was pumping gas, talking with a lady across from him. She had a baby calf that she was taking to the vet to get put down. She lived a couple hours away from her ranch and the calf's momma wouldn't nurse him. I don't know the why's on not just bringing him home to bottle feed but she couldn't drive back and for so asked if he wanted the calf! Poor thing was very weak and not wanting to stand. Neighbor wanted to sling him to at least get him on his feet for awhile. He's about a week old and eating good now so should pull through with bottle feeding. Don't envie him right now with the bottle feeding. . . been there a few times myself and once with the two.
I'd take a bottle feeding calf in a heartbeat. Of course then I'd get too attached to it so maybe it's not a good idea.

Well update on the neighbors calf was he did not make it thru the night. When he was talking to hunny on the phone last night, he said that the calf was healthy, just needed to get bottle fed. When I talked to our friend today, he said that he didn't tell the whole situation cause his neighbors wife was right there too and didn't want to upset her. . . The poor little guy had pneumonia. The vet had already pumped him full of antibiotics so other than that, there wasn't much else they could do. I do understand not wanting to upset someone, but this is the real world. After vet care, if you are lucky enough to have one around or come, you do everything you can for an animal in need, but that is all you can do. Hopefully you can get him to pull thru. . . but unfortunately, you can't save all. Just like with humans. I honestly felt bad for him though cause I know what it is like to put your whole self into trying to get a critter better just to have him lose the battle. Have cried many a times over this, but it is life when you have animals.

Been there too, it's horrible when all your efforts are for naught. I always used to get to double guessing myself, wondering if I had done something different maybe I would have had a success. Unfortunately sometimes it's just not meant to be and it's the worst feeling in the world, especially if you had plans for the beast.

A milk machine is very nice to have around! Even when it isn't working properly, you can normally still get it to go with one finger, sometimes a screwdriver depending on how hard the slide thing is to move. Done many a times but it sure beats milking by hand! It is also a lot cleaner. . . even though you hose down and wash teats down, it always seems like they need to take a poop at milking time and unless you have a poop shoot rigged or are very quick about it, your milking effort goes to waste for your consumption. . . always good for the hogs though.
This spring I'm going to start looking for a young Jersey heifer. She'll become the family milk cow. We'll make our own butter and cheese along with plenty of fresh milk. Any excess will go to the hogs.

i got 2 types of preps/non-preps today..first i got a extra box of band aids at dollar general...it'll go into my 1st aid bag of supplies..the 2nd,is two totes,in which one is under the bed tote..the other has a hinged lid that latches shut..and yes i'll take pic's later..lol

This spring I'm going to start looking for a young Jersey heifer. She'll become the family milk cow. We'll make our own butter and cheese along with plenty of fresh milk. Any excess will go to the hogs.
This is just a suggestion . . . I would freeze my cream in IceCube trays when I was not needing to make butter. You get about 2Tablespoons depending on the trays you use. Its nice to have extra on hand for cooking and butter making when you are not milking. With a Jersey, you will get plenty of cream. I always enjoy making cheese. You just cannot beat it and the price of even a good cheddar at the store is outrageous!

This is just a suggestion . . . I would freeze my cream in IceCube trays when I was not needing to make butter. You get about 2Tablespoons depending on the trays you use. Its nice to have extra on hand for cooking and butter making when you are not milking. With a Jersey, you will get plenty of cream. I always enjoy making cheese. You just cannot beat it and the price of even a good cheddar at the store is outrageous!
Around here whole milk sells for around 11.00. I think a cow is a really good investment.

i'm still carrying the same knife I had when we met at the Wilderness Gathering several years ago.

Norm dressed out at a little over 640 lbs of meat. Right now it is all frozen but as I have time I will get some hamburger &stew meat canned up along with some different soups. Some of the roast will get turned into jerky and hamburger cooked then dehydrated for beef rocks. Remove as much grease off first by rinsing and drying off with paper towel then dehydrate. Used in soups is not too bad. The grease is what will turn your meat bad.

i think thats why,that batch of stew,that i canned one time,fermitted.but not sure..
Remove as much grease off first by rinsing and drying off with paper towel

here's the totes i got yesterday..the under the bed tote is already filled.and put away..now to decide on,what's going into the other one..

DSCN1853.JPG DSCN1855.JPG

i think thats why,that batch of stew,that i canned one time,fermitted.but not sure..

here's the totes i got yesterday..the under the bed tote is already filled.and put away..now to decide on,what's going into the other one..

View attachment 6432 View attachment 6433
A little bit of fat in canned goods is OK, dehydrating is a big no-no though. My guess would be your seal of the lid. Oxygen getting in would cause it to ferment and go rancid. I would think that most stew meat that you buy at the store would already have the majority of fat cut off.

Latest posts

Back