This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I make my own Beanie Weenies using Vienna Sausage and Bush's Beans, it's pretty good. Vienna Sausages by themselves I can barely eat, but there are plenty of ways to cook them in other things that take away the nastiness.

But the Beanie Weenie brand itself? YUK!
My mom would get a can of beans and add hotdogs and call it chili. She did not like to cook!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife has been out of town for a month, so I've been eating my stocks of canned food that are near their use-by date (some a bit past). I'll be restocking soon, and now I know which ones NOT to get next time :D

Like Beanie Weenies...OMG those are gross!
I love Beanie Weenies! That's mostly what I lived on in Afghanistan. Beanie Weenies, smuggled vodka and local flat bread. Yum.

My mom would get a can of beans and add hotdogs and call it chili. She did not like to cook!

Must have been a friend of my Bio-mom. Hated cooking, cleaning and most things related to being a mom or house wife.

I'm have a real dilemma going on at the moment. We've been living out of the preps for a while to reduce stocks as there is a house move in the future and I really would rather not pack the amount we have stored or have the movers discover it. However, I got a tax rebate and there is talk of Brexit causing supply problems. So now I'm trying todecide whether or not to use the rebate to top up the store cupboard or put it in the house move fund.

I'm have a real dilemma going on at the moment. We've been living out of the preps for a while to reduce stocks as there is a house move in the future and I really would rather not pack the amount we have stored or have the movers discover it. However, I got a tax rebate and there is talk of Brexit causing supply problems. So now I'm trying todecide whether or not to use the rebate to top up the store cupboard or put it in the house move fund.

Difficult choice. Can you stock up but have it delivered to a storage unit near the new house? That would avoid the movers getting too noisy and also allow you some time before you have to retrieve the items. Just a thought.

Just pack it away in boxes yourself. The movers won’t know what is inside the boxes other than what you label it as. I doubt most emergencies happen with warning in life so feel it’s always good to have at least food and water covered.

If I make my own Beanie Weenies using Vienna Sausage and Bush's Beans, it's pretty good. Vienna Sausages by themselves I can barely choke down, but there are plenty of ways to cook them in other things that take away the nastiness.

But the Beanie Weenie brand itself? YUK!
I bought a can of Van Camps Pork and Beans in the last month, I swear they have changed the recipe. Instead of the watery stuff being more clear it is more cloudy, and where's the pork. I remember as a kid there was a tiny pc of pork in it, then later a little bit of pork fat and now NOTHING! I don't care for the generic pork and beans but now Van Camps is just like them. I usually buy generic or store brand everything, but this one item I just couldn't stomach the cheapo brands. Now, I am considering going with Bush's, I will try one can and see how it goes. But they are expensive, I usually wait til the store has Van Camps down to .50 cents a can, currently they are .85 cents. If they are going to give me poo poo beans, I'm switching.

I now have two wind up watches. One for around the neck and one wrist watch. I keep my eyes out for these old watches, no batteries required.

I don’t have a deep understanding of your situation, but my gut tells me that I would box your stuff up, label it so they don’t know what it in it or move it yourself and keep it. You really never know when you might need it...

Must have been a friend of my Bio-mom. Hated cooking, cleaning and most things related to being a mom or house wife.
Yep, she tried really hard to be the 50s mom, but her heart wasn’t in the role. She worked full time, wanted to be a lawyer but her dad said no way, she could be a nurse or a teacher. She was a teacher.

personally with a possibility of a supply problem, I would stock up on those items that will be effected. You just never know. As for the movers, I would do as others suggested and pack and move myself if your worried about them knowing how much you have.

Top off the cupboard is the most safe decision. Pack items very well, use lots of packing tape to seal boxes. You can even put a black plastic bag in the box, fill the box, then close the bag and then seal the box. Or label every box, "dirty underwear".

It's not so much the movers snooping, but the amount to move that bother me. I'll talk to the son tonight and see what he thinks as well.
Oh, well then, it's a home office, you run the business from home. Reason there is so much. It's inventory, you sell used books, doodads or what ever.but you gotta take the stash with you, I think.

OK I figured out why I hate Beanie Weenie so much.

I have never liked the combination of ketchup and hot dogs. Just tastes wrong. I always use mustard on my dogs. And the Beanie Weanie's primary taste is ketchup and hot dog.

So I mixed it with corn, added hot sauce, and soy sauce. But that wasn't quite enough so I added Old Bay seasoning, and that did the trick. No hot dog and ketchup taste anymore. And then I boiled that down to a gravy consistency in the sauce and poured it over white rice. Not bad. Plus it has your four basic food groups: Beans, corn, rice and meat LOL.

@SallyC What the wife and I did on our last move (Oregon to Arizona). We boxed all the items but had movers come in and load the truck and then had movers come and unload the truck once we got to Arizona. All arranged ahead of time. Best and easiest move I ever made. For OPSEC, simple mark the boxes for the room the need to go into. Example: Kitchen, Master Bath, Master Bedroom, etc.. It worked very well and was not very expensive. Hope this helps.

We'll be boxing ourselves, it's just the quantity, I don't want to have to pay for a large moving van. It's been decided anyhoo. Offspring thinks we should add to the stores some, and put the rest in the moving fund.

One of the things that I learned recently about the fires that are burning around here, is just how really unprepared that I am for one. Sure, I have plenty of food and drinking water and a bug out plan in case we have to leave in a hurry. But I only have limited water available to fight a fire with. And if the well pump generator runs out of gas or breaks down then I'm totally out of water. Plus the well is over a 1/4 mile from the house. We could easily be cut off from it.
In the past whenever there's a fire in the area the firefighters use helicopters and dip water out of our pond. That could be too late to save our house and outbuildings.
I've got plans to build a mobile fire water trailer that can be moved around where needed. I think I'll accelerate my construction timeline and start looking for a 500+ gallon water tank. And pick up some parts to build a trailer with.
After seeing the fires yesterday it's making it seem more important to drill a new well closer to the house too.

One of the things that I learned recently about the fires that are burning around here, is just how really unprepared that I am for one. Sure, I have plenty of food and drinking water and a bug out plan in case we have to leave in a hurry. But I only have limited water available to fight a fire with. And if the well pump generator runs out of gas or breaks down then I'm totally out of water. Plus the well is over a 1/4 mile from the house. We could easily be cut off from it.
In the past whenever there's a fire in the area the firefighters use helicopters and dip water out of our pond. That could be too late to save our house and outbuildings.
I've got plans to build a mobile fire water trailer that can be moved around where needed. I think I'll accelerate my construction timeline and start looking for a 500+ gallon water tank. And pick up some parts to build a trailer with.
After seeing the fires yesterday it's making it seem more important to drill a new well closer to the house too.
don't blame you one bit! It doesn't matter how remote you are or how much stock you have if it get wiped out by a fire. That in your area of the woods should be a number one priority. We don't really deal with too many fires in our area, at least it like you guys. Anything and everything you can do to help make your home more fire resistant is a bonus. Doesn't matter where you live. . . A natural disaster should be number one priority since it is the most likely.

@Arcticdude here is a possible concept. 1) clear combustibles from around your house. 2) Install a CPVC (a type of plastic pipe) roof sprinkler system. 3) Install rain catchment system attached to roof. Connect rain catchment system water holding tank to both, a powered pump and to a manual pump. This system will allow you to keep your roof wet (resist sparks and embers) and continuously recycle the same water, thus prolonging your ability to fight a fire and also reducing the size of the water holding tank. Hint, do not contact local building code office, this is not a Fire Suppression system, it is a Roof washing system. There is a HUGE difference in the codes and cost. JM2C

Both danilgrl and religar hit on the right thought. There are lots of things that can help. Clearing an area around the buildings is number one. Yes, the trees are beautiful and are great for shade, but will catch fire way too easily in an area prone to wildfires. Hardy plank is a brand of concrete embedded siding that is pretty fire resistant. Metal roofing is tenfold more resistant than asphalt based shingles. Vinyl framed windows are cheap and rot resistant, but the vinyl can’t take heat. Get aluminum clad framed windows instead. The number one thing you can do though is clear a buffer zone around your buildings. Fires need fuel to keep expanding and the second it reaches a well mowed area of grass it stops expanding in that direction. I wish you luck through all this.

Arctic, I’m using a self propelled center pivot sprinkler system you see on large farms, this saturate the grounds and a dozer to keep the fire lines maintained year around. While I kept fires at bay the super heated air from the fire 300 hundred yards away will cause wood structures to spontaneously burst, also the smoke, I’ve been overwhelmed by the smoke. I now have four tanks with full oxygen mask, the same type fire department uses I have these mainly for escaping. Fires here is primarily why I have 3 wells. I still feel vulnerable from fires.

I keep a good supply of corrugated steel sheets 4x8 I lean these up against the buildings facing the direction of the fire, all buildings have metal roofs with saturation water lines on them. 2 years ago I posted not only did I have a fire here I also had a wild land fire near the cabin and couldn’t get to, the secondary location besides the cabin was cut off so my bug out location was off the table, this set an uneasy feeling in my gut.

I recharged my self jump for my car(can't use it if it isn't charged). I also got by bag out of my car and went through it to remind myself of what I have in there, and what else I could use. I have a few things on my list to get. I also made lunches for the work week.

OK I figured out why I hate Beanie Weenie so much.

I have never liked the combination of ketchup and hot dogs. Just tastes wrong. I always use mustard on my dogs. And the Beanie Weanie's primary taste is ketchup and hot dog.

So I mixed it with corn, added hot sauce, and soy sauce. But that wasn't quite enough so I added Old Bay seasoning, and that did the trick. No hot dog and ketchup taste anymore. And then I boiled that down to a gravy consistency in the sauce and poured it over white rice. Not bad. Plus it has your four basic food groups: Beans, corn, rice and meat LOL.
Everything is better with hot sauce.

What can I say, it was a Sunday so it was a piddle day. I did get out in the garden and weeded some of my walkways by turning over my carpet :) Yep I hate seeing weeds in my walkways. Went ahead and prepped for tomorrows dinner by getting smothered pork chops ready to go in the oven. Last night after moms dinner we stopped by the store to pick up some milk for the babies and they had chicken leg quarters on sale for 37 cents a pound. Bought our limit of 20 lbs. Today I went ahead and boiled 10 lbs and canned up the deboned chicken and also the stock. But after I had deboned and put the meat in jars hunny called to say we needed to make a road trip. . . life is lovely and some days you just have to be prepared for the day! No problem. . . he tells me the whys so I tell him to pack. I used to date a guy that lived in the area we were going to. . . so I got a few questions on our way down while I was working on a new crocheted rug. Hunny went ahead and bought the 2 oldest boys their Christmas gifts that we needed to go pick up from an online ad. Turns out the guy was the sweetest older man and we had a great time of it. He works a ranch up North from us of White Tails. Anyway when I came home I got to finish up my canning. Good thing that it was involving a pressure canned thing so everything didn't have to be hot. Dinner was a quick fry up of ling that son 3 brought us this morning and sweet potato fries that I dug up yesterday morning.

6.5 kg Broccoli, 1.5 kg Kale and 3.5 kg sugar snap peas harvested today. All blanched and frozen for winter. Managed to get more harvested this year. the broccoli and kale are still growing so more to come. Berries are slowly getting picked and processed for juice but work in the garden has slowed as I am in the middle of a roof renovation. Under the old roof is an even older wooden shingle roof. Unfortunately it is beyond repair. I am doing it the hard way and removing each nail from every shingle and then putting them in the wood chipper. These will be recycled for the garden but is one hell of a job. Finnish shingles are not like the English ones. They are about 2mm thick and placed in about 3 or 4 layers. So far all the old roof removed and chimney repaired and the new roof framework nearly all in place. hope to be done in a month. Downside is it is +30c most days.

What can I say, it was a Sunday so it was a piddle day. I did get out in the garden and weeded some of my walkways by turning over my carpet :) Yep I hate seeing weeds in my walkways. Went ahead and prepped for tomorrows dinner by getting smothered pork chops ready to go in the oven. Last night after moms dinner we stopped by the store to pick up some milk for the babies and they had chicken leg quarters on sale for 37 cents a pound. Bought our limit of 20 lbs. Today I went ahead and boiled 10 lbs and canned up the deboned chicken and also the stock. But after I had deboned and put the meat in jars hunny called to say we needed to make a road trip. . . life is lovely and some days you just have to be prepared for the day! No problem. . . he tells me the whys so I tell him to pack. I used to date a guy that lived in the area we were going to. . . so I got a few questions on our way down while I was working on a new crocheted rug. Hunny went ahead and bought the 2 oldest boys their Christmas gifts that we needed to go pick up from an online ad. Turns out the guy was the sweetest older man and we had a great time of it. He works a ranch up North from us of White Tails. Anyway when I came home I got to finish up my canning. Good thing that it was involving a pressure canned thing so everything didn't have to be hot. Dinner was a quick fry up of ling that son 3 brought us this morning and sweet potato fries that I dug up yesterday morning.
Do you use tattler lids?

Latest posts

Back