This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We kept the ones we had. They’re really not fully reusable -you have to replace the rubber ring when you reuse. If it was all we had, yeah. Otherwise I’m in favor of getting a lot of extra regular lids.

I got Nord VPN. I can add on up to 6 devices including my cell phone. I have wanted to do this for a while. $99 for 3 years, not too bad.

I also use NordVPN, I went for the 2 year deal. I am cheap and distrusting. Last VPN company did great for about two years and then starting upgrading their system until is was completely unstable.

It looks like the lid had a defect from the the get go so shouldn't have been used. Wonder how many lids he had bought to have two malfunction already? That is a pretty scary thing and I'm sure I would have said a couple choice words too.
I just came in from feeding my goata. Did my normal routine of putting food in different containers to reduce the fighting. Got to the barn, dropped in two gutter feed troughs attached to the wall. Got knocked over a little by a stampede of goats. Wasp stings me. . . Well dang it. Looked around, didn't see a nest. Went to my third trough, dump in and another sting on the same arm. . . That was a choice word! Nest attached by third trough. I'm letting my kids eat dinner in peace than I'll go back out and do battle with their little butts. I got a can with their names written all over it!!

I did my research. I hope this company works out because I too am cheap I would hate to waste my money

I did my research too and they did get really good reviews. They offer a lot of operating choices and I found the best combination for my set up. So far I am really liking them. I also liked the fact they communicated very well and they also offered the longest cancellation policy, that said a lot too.

We had some, but you better be careful with them.

I don’t think I like the idea of reusing something like that, but I sure don’t know everything.

Here is a video showing why to be careful:

This is very alarming. I don't have many and have not used them. I am going to do some more research. I thank you profusely for the information!

The silicone seals are reusable, I use them about 2-3 times before replacing, mostly I'm using the bands and lids, I get about 2 dozens of the seals for 8.95 the ball lids ar .19c a piece, there really isn't saving money in the long run, the end results is about the same price.

We had some, but you better be careful with them.

I don’t think I like the idea of reusing something like that, but I sure don’t know everything.

Here is a video showing why to be careful:

A friend sent me a dozen Tattler lids to try. I used them once. never again! This happened to me, luckily I had the sense to have a teatowel over the jar as I thightened the ring as the disc blew out when I tried to tighten it and the contents (boiling hot Apricot pie filling) went everywhere. It was like a volcano erupting and if I hadn't had the teatowel over it I would have a faceful. I'm not saying don't use them, but be very careful and make sure you have the jar covered before tightening the ring, just in case it blows. It scared the crap out of me and has put me off using them again for canning.
I was finding Apricot pie filling all over the place.:mad:

The way I see it, the bands and lids have worked for a hundred years, why change? We have tried most of the new and approved canning devices and always ended up going back to the bands and lids. Maybe it's just me?
I thought that they used beeswax not too long ago, or is that regional?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I thought that they used beeswax not to long ago, or is that regional?

I don't think it's regional, it was more a preference given at the time it was cheaper than the bands and lids, lids and seal rings, I used it years ago (wax/jelly), I haven't seen canning wax/jelly here for some time. Mason had the canning lids with seals in the 19th century ;)

I got 2 batches (11 jars) in this weekend. Took me about half a day. I still get some water at the bottom of the jar, even though I tried to use only the flesh. What a mess, too.

With practice you get faster and make less mess. When I first started it was a major event, but now I can do other tasks between steps.

I rotated and reorganized my main pantry today! (Got rained out outside and had to occup my OCD). I made room for the 13 freeze dried cans I ordered the other day, which five arrived today. I also made enough room to get a list together and hope to top it all off tomorrow. Time consuming, but it’s always a good feeling knowing I’m pretty well prepared.
I was actually disconnecting the county water from the house and doing the final connection of the new well line I put in over the last week. I got a new dedicated electric line in conduit beside the water line so the well has no power drop from a shared line. Just as I was making the last of the connections down in a hole in Georgia clay, it rained so hard you couldn’t see ten feet! Needless to say I was wallowing in the slippery stuff. Anyways, I just finished the house connection, but wasn’t able to hook the laundry room back up. It looks like rain for the next two or three days, and I’m really not looking forwards to playing down in the mud again.... I still need to connect the kids house at the well and their house too, but at least the main line is buried already. Getting the well drilled was the easy part of this project.

Latest posts

Back