This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been sorting and reorganizing all my preps. I've bought a few new things as well and as I've been organizing found some things I should probably go ahead and use.
So this is a real question I have @bigpaul, for some reason I have been believing you live in the UK? How is there a "middle of nowhere" in such a tiny country? Like for real, how many miles is the nearest town? Approximately how many people does this town have?

Kate, I live in the middle of Devon in the far south west of the UK, once you get away from the south coast where 90% of the county population live you are out in the middle of farming country, I don't live in a tourist area so the only people who come here are locals. I live in the Northern half of the county right slap bang in the centre of the county, about as far as you can get from any kind of urban setting. a family doctor, a professional person, some years ago said to my wife that we live "in the middle of nowhere" and that he wouldn't care to live there. even wife's family are astonished how far we have to travel to a supermarket.

Last edited:
I’ve decided upon a plan for the corona virus. We are in a business that puts us in commercial places and that’s just a fact we need to deal with. This bug will be in the area, well pretty much everywhere, in no time at all. So, within the next few days I am going to limit contact with the employees, like from a respectful distance when in person. I’m also going to stop going out and stay on the property for a while. My son, who is healthy will continue to run things business wise and will continue day to day coming and going. Luckily with electronics today I can stay in contact with everyone I need to easily. I am under sixty so am kind of borderline of needing to worry about the disease but my wife has a serious chronic disease and has been on drugs that compromise her immune system. She is in bed mostly anyways so going out isn’t as big a deal for her, but I really don’t want to be the person that brings it home to her. We have plenty of preps on hand to self quarantine for a long time if It was needed so this may be a good exercise to learn from.

With the rain and storms Iv had a chance to stay inside and go through some of my prepps . Reorganized long term food items and went through ammo . Kind of impressed with my ammo selection and storage . Im going to pick some unneeded stuff today and either list them online or otherwise get rid of them .

I’ve decided upon a plan for the corona virus. We are in a business that puts us in commercial places and that’s just a fact we need to deal with. This bug will be in the area, well pretty much everywhere, in no time at all. So, within the next few days I am going to limit contact with the employees, like from a respectful distance when in person. I’m also going to stop going out and stay on the property for a while. My son, who is healthy will continue to run things business wise and will continue day to day coming and going. Luckily with electronics today I can stay in contact with everyone I need to easily. I am under sixty so am kind of borderline of needing to worry about the disease but my wife has a serious chronic disease and has been on drugs that compromise her immune system. She is in bed mostly anyways so going out isn’t as big a deal for her, but I really don’t want to be the person that brings it home to her. We have plenty of preps on hand to self quarantine for a long time if It was needed so this may be a good exercise to learn from.
I hear it is in Atlanta now. Stay well, and that includes all of your family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hear it is in Atlanta now. Stay well, and that includes all of your family.

In a short amount of time I feel confident this will be just about everywhere. We are too mobile for our own good it seems. I don’t think this is too bad of a thing but feel that if you have a family member that would likely be affected more from it then some more steps are worth following.

With the rain and storms Iv had a chance to stay inside and go through some of my prepps . Reorganized long term food items and went through ammo . Kind of impressed with my ammo selection and storage . Im going to pick some unneeded stuff today and either list them online or otherwise get rid of them .
It’s always good to inventory and rotate your supplies. I’ve given some old stuff to non preppers in hopes of spurring some interest in what I believe is a smart way to live your life.

It’s always good to inventory and rotate your supplies. I’ve given some old stuff to non preppers in hopes of spurring some interest in what I believe is a smart way to live your life.
I usually give away stuff Iv culled out of my prepps . Iv never listed items online other than cars . I run my back and forth work cars until I need something better then sale my old one for 3 or 4 hundred on market place sites . I reckon that gives someone that can't afford anything else to get a work car and improve things for themselves . Or not .

Ok, the photos got turned around. The nice one is when I had it. Sigh. All that work finding NOS parts and trim all down the toilet!

68 with 428 CJ and 4-speed. Rare combination and valuable. Sure hope someone has brought it back to life. This is too rare of a car to just let it "rot" away.

Thanks for sharing. (Can you guess that I am a real car nut. :D ).

Kate, I live in the middle of Devon in the far south west of the UK, once you get away from the south coast where 90% of the county population live you are out in the middle of farming country, I don't live in a tourist area so the only people who come here are locals. I live in the Northern half of the county right slap bang in the centre of the county, about as far as you can get from any kind of urban setting. a family doctor, a professional person, some years ago said to my wife that we live "in the middle of nowhere" and that he wouldn't care to live there. even wife's family are astonished how far we have to travel to a supermarket.
I guess that makes sense. We have states like that here in the US (New York for example) that have very rural areas even though they are high population. I was an international studies major in college but really only paid attention to Latin America and the Middle East. Maybe I should look at a map.
In San Antonio (just a couple hours away) a hospital release someone who had the virus when a test didn't work correctly and gave a false negative. So other people were then exposed. That is way too close to home for me.

I hope all our TN people are safe from the Tornadoes last night.

West Devon and Mid Devon are council(local government) areas and not geographical ones, in a geographical sense we are more North Devon.
for general election voting we are in Central Devon constituency, confusing huh??

Last edited:
We've been getting rain here since before 6am this morning.but yet.i went out and refilled 6-1 gallon jugs and 1-5 gallon jug at a water dispenser just a block away.they'll stay put untill further notice.i buy the 40 count cases of great vaule water.that's my primary go to water.in which i'll be buying more of it on my next primary shopping trip.

We've been getting rain here since before 6am this morning.but yet.i went out and refilled 6-1 gallon jugs and 1-5 gallon jug at a water dispenser just a block away.they'll stay put untill further notice.i buy the 40 count cases of great vaule water.that's my primary go to water.in which i'll be buying more of it on my next primary shopping trip.
Jim, whenever you get some extra cash look into a Berkeley water filter. Then you can forget worrying about having enough water. Of course you still need a water source like a pond, creek or stream but you get the idea.

Jim, whenever you get some extra cash look into a Berkeley water filter. Then you can forget worrying about having enough water. Of course you still need a water source like a pond, creek or stream but you get the idea.
I second that... I have a big one at home and a small on in my office at work.

I second that... I have a big one at home and a small on in my office at work.

I have the big one in the house and a smaller one in the camper. I’ve bought a lot of crap in my lifetime that I wasted money on but I’ve never felt like these filters were not a good use of money. I never drink water that wasn’t filtered anymore. Not only does it taste better but I know it’s safer too.

Last edited:
I just got another water filter the other day when I was picking up a few supplies from the store. That's one thing that you really can't have too many of; if you don't need them you can barter them to someone else after SHTF. I bought a couple more cases of bottle water too.

I finally put up my motion sensors yesterday. 800' wireless range, 4 zones, with 16 total sensors. Cheap, and they work great. I've used them for years. When something moves in a zone, the unit tells you which one. Get these now, if you can. You can buy additional sensors for under $25 a piece. Make sure you get a lot of 9v batteries too.

https://www.amazon.com/Skylink-HA-3...skylink+motion+detector&qid=1584812150&sr=8-5

Finally completed my reloading system and will start reloading as soon as my last order arrives. I already had most of the components. Just needed the press (Lee Classic Turret Press), Powder Measure and a powder funnel. I did order a 9mm die set, already had the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 300 Win Mag dies. Once everything arrives, I will be able to reload 1,000 9mm rounds and 250 -- 6.5 Creedmoor rounds. I already had a full ammo can of 7.62 x 39 and 223. Those calibers are really to cheap to reload, unless they become too difficult to buy and then I will reload them. I already have 11 boxes of Blazer 9mm ammo, so I may sell some. Either way, I will at least have something productive to do, during my house arrest (wife is the warden). Due to my age and the COPD, the wife is not letting me out and about. When you are sleeping with the warden, it is tough to riot. LOL

Finally completed my reloading system and will start reloading as soon as my last order arrives. I already had most of the components. Just needed the press (Lee Classic Turret Press), Powder Measure and a powder funnel. I did order a 9mm die set, already had the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 300 Win Mag dies. Once everything arrives, I will be able to reload 1,000 9mm rounds and 250 -- 6.5 Creedmoor rounds. I already had a full ammo can of 7.62 x 39 and 223. Those calibers are really to cheap to reload, unless they become too difficult to buy and then I will reload them. I already have 11 boxes of Blazer 9mm ammo, so I may sell some. Either way, I will at least have something productive to do, during my house arrest (wife is the warden). Due to my age and the COPD, the wife is not letting me out and about. When you are sleeping with the warden, it is tough to riot. LOL
With the uncertainty in the world right now selling any ammo would be the last thing on my list. Glad your wife is beating some sense into you!

With the uncertainty in the world right now selling any ammo would be the last thing on my list. Glad your wife is beating some sense into you!
I know this may sound sacrilegious around here but during obamas ammo shortages there were times that all I could find were subsonic and standard velocity .22 ammo. I have several thousand rounds that I'm thinking about selling.

I got my new shotgun today. The outdoors store was crazy, and they were only letting a few people in at a time. I think some people here are taking this seriously, but then I saw a bunch of people at a park, kids and adults, all together playing on the swings (the big ones that multiple kids can pile together on at a time). It was probably 20 people all together.

Selling the ammo will be if things quiet down and semi return to normal. The wife is not going to let me out of the house until thing are under control. If this lasts too long, I will be a one man ammo factory. I did get a bit crazy today. I got an internet warning that 22lr. is running out and my not be replenished for a year or more. Since the next firearm on my list is a 22 rifle, I went and ordered 2,500 rounds. Now if I was buying a semi-auto 22, that would be a drop in the bucket but I will be buying a bolt action, so hopefully that will last until the 22lr ammo gets back into production again. I do expect the 22lr ammo to go up in price from about 3 to 5 cents a round to over 10 cents a round, just for the plinking ammo. Match grade or so they call it, will cost as much as some center fire ammo or very close to it. Folks may want to start looking at good quality air rifles.

Well, with all this free time lately I’ve been doing much needed and neglected yard work. I pruned all the fruit trees and grape vines, got about a third of the blackberries weeded, mowed between the blueberries and just started weeding at the bases of them, got the greenhouse tilled and planted and mowed the main garden. This has been a weeks worth of fun so far. I still have two weeks worth of yard stuff planned. I had really let this place go... when this is over I’m going to hire somebody. Hopefully this will help with producing more this year, and hopefully I won’t have to rely on eating it to keep fed!

We only have a balcony since the borders are closed and we cannot make it to Hungary. We just planted potatoes, garlic, parsley, basil, snap beans, green beans, pinto beans and thyme in bigger boxes. They are on the south side and looking into the sun. Lets hope it is only for the fun and activity and not really for the need. GP

I need to pull out my rifles and make sure they are sited in well and then cleaned and lubed well. Just got added to my to do list.

I did that last week. All rifles are dead on at 100 yards. They have all been cleaned and oiled and ready for active duty, if called upon. As soon as the reloading press gets here, I will bolt it down and start the process of reloading more ammo.

Back