This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
went to the surplus store,have now a small durable tent and a bigger backpack, gone trough my food supplies and to my surpize have food for aprox 3 months for bugging in,sent e-mail to my local policestation for application to a .22lr,even if I have already a shotgun we have to apply again when wanna by another rifle

jimLE,
thanks,it's going to be another waiting game,don't understand why,they gave me permit for a shotgun,then you have to get another permit for .22lr, gee feels like cashing time,but I have patience :)

yeah i hate them waiting games..and we all can thank the so called gov for that..lol

here's a lil something i got online...the 1st one is the before pic.and the 2nd is the after pic..i replaced the cord on the handle..

003.JPG 004.JPG

yeah it is..it's a throwing tomahawk,or whatever they wanna call it..lol..it's 8.5 inches long.i forget how much it weighs.but it dont weigh much..i've tryed it on small saplings.it works great on them.now it's a matter of locateing a tree to practice throwing it..

we had this recreationalday at work this week,had a chance to throw those things,boy it was nice :)

Bought some face masks for first aid kit, 3x wire and a cutter and 3x Ponchos, I had a look at army/navy and a few walking shops but all very costly.

All I've managed to do this week for prepping is buy a few books on North American herbal remedies for injuries and ailments. Figure if SHTF local drug stores and pharmacies will be cleared out quickly and I want as much knowledge for my tool bag as possible because my son has asthma and well it's just a good bit of knowledge to know.

yeah..and there's no telling what your getting if you dont enough about the med's when getting them after tshtf.or from someone else after tshtf...so it'll pay to know what you can about herbs and all before hand...

I have an uncle and cousin who are both doctors of pharmaceutical medicine and every time we have some sort of family get together I love picking their brains about herbal remedies and such. Luckily they live in Tennessee as well so they will be a great knowledge base in the event something happens.

Usually don't plant til Easter.............. too late , Spring garden is in..........squash , tomatoes, peppers , eggplants etc. Reworked the wifes herb garden / built new boxes. Bartered a propagated fig tree for some Mucho Nacho jalopena plants ................and two dozen eggs for as many shallots as I could carry.

I'm still only dreaming of gardening outside,to cold,to little sun,but my herbs are growing inside well

Working at eating down our food preps. In the process of selling our house to move due to my me job. It helps not to buy groceries for the time being. No garden this year unless I put one in at my parents house. Hope we can find a place that was as prepper friendly as the house we are selling.

Added to can food supiy , placed another order to sportsman's guide for several military surplus items . If you havn't shopped there check them out . I do their buyers club . waiting to till garden the ground is to wet but tuned up my tiller . On vacation this week trying to get caught up on stuff planning throwing in alot of prepping and fishing .
jonnette watched a show on TV the other day about Bear hunting in Europe and alot of the hunters were using old surplus Mauser rifles I don't remember if it was Finland or Norway .

i got a power cord for my eton radio.and received it yesterday..now im recharging all my AAA
batteries in it....i still need to print up what needs printing.i do have the 3 ring notebooks to put it all into..i just need to get the extra ink cartridges for all the printing i'll be doing,just so i dont run out of ink.

Rebuilt pantry shelves to hold food stores in a more user friendly ( space allotment) way.

Made a few hard choices but I had to think realistic such as cost, availability and low maintenance plus a margin of safety.

At my home and a couple of stationary bug out locations I replaced all my coleman duel fuel lanterns with the streamlight (44931) siege led lanterns, keeping a couple of the coleman propane lanterns for the brighter light if need be, I added a propane conversion kit to my coleman duel fuel.

White fuel and gasoline is no longer cost effective plus white fuel isn’t as widely available as it once was, propane will keep substantially longer then white fuel and gasoline and the same be said about my kerosene lanterns, I effectively eliminated all white, gasoline and kerosene fuels from my emergency stock thus all equipment that couldn’t be converted to propane. now all I have to focus on is battery rotation

I have the UST 30day lantern and impressed with it, does hold up for a month on 3 Dcells, I ordered UST 60day lantern though this one uses 6 Dcells, the streamlight lanterns will be my primary lights in an emergency, the UST 30day originally purchased for the outhouse, plan is to turn it on at night to its lowest setting and turning it off during the day, I was figuring on it lasting close to 2 months since it was designed to run 30days on the low setting without being turned off on 3 Dcells.

I already replaced all my krypton bulb flashlights with led a couple of years ago

yeah.the led lights are great..my primary flashlight is a led 2-d batteries flashlight and its a good one..

Bought a new book to read this weekend. Last weekend went through ammo and make stash boxes.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397785119.502262.jpg

Made a few hard choices but I had to think realistic such as cost, availability and low maintenance plus a margin of safety..................................................................................................Prepping realistically is what I'm all about , dude.

Made a few hard choices but I had to think realistic such as cost, availability and low maintenance plus a margin of safety..................................................................................................Prepping realistically is what I'm all about , dude.

the equipment I had have used since the early 70s being o'l school it was a little bit tough giving up on this equipment that never let me down but parts, fuel and cost made it unfeasible to continue use of them for their intended purpose, its far easier to deal with one fuel type (propane) I have enough to get me through a year at my primary location, I can get more hours out of the led lanterns then the gas lanterns, I can store batteries for the same amount of time using less space then I can white gas (5yrs) I have burned white gas ten years old but not without plugging the regulators and new regulators are not that cheap nor widely available anymore!

Went to a flea market . Lots of old hand tools there . Looks like when the old timer passes away or otherwise can't work his stuff ends up in a yard sale or flea market . I bought a nice home made tool cady full of steel and masonary tools in one lot got it so cheap that I coldn't have bought the wood to build the cady for the price let alone the tools . Not sure what i'll use steel , masonary tools for but I'm putting them up and painted the cady od green and put my old gunsmithing tools I havn't used in years in it . Tilling the Garden today regardless of weather it needs couple of more days to dry but vacation is over tomarrow . Making a point to go back to the flea market asap they had alot of old farm , blacksmith
tools and outdoor gear .

great find there psalm..i stoped going to flea markets years ago from like of money.guess i need to start going again

I've been told when going to flea markets set aside how much you are willing to spend in cash and when its gone thats it . Tilled 2 garden spots but no arrow/spear heads yet . Maby after it rains and washes them off .

Latest posts

Back