This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This week I got quiet a bit: 100 purification tablets, a life straw, new backpack, flash lights and water proof matches. I'll be getting some more things on monday.

Researching recipes for " urban" game that might be available after SHTF.

Got a lot of new stuff for my BoB: mini-saw, two folders and a thrower, a two-person hammock, tarp, metal water bottle, leg rig for mags and cuffs, better bag for my wife's BoB. Also worked on our shooting skills, sighted in the red-dot, started learning throwing. A few more days worth of food stored.

i just trimmed back some tree branches ,when it comes to my sitting area in one side yard.because of them,i couldn't see across the field behind my home while sitting out there..there's a hwy 21 yard sale 1st weekend of every may.it goes from crocket tx to the Texas/Louisiana border.im gonna sell my stuff that i no longer need so i can buy more prepps..

now here's a lil some thing i got today instead of plastic totes.a 2 ton floor jack..a person might not think of it as a prep.yes it's needed for changing flats n all.there's also other uses for them.like i use to use the last one i had to make it easier on me when im installing a cattle gate..i put it under the end where the gate latches to the post at.this way i can attach the top gate hinge easier.where the handle goes.swivels to where its easier to jack up the vehicle

006.JPG

Planted 10 heirloom tomato plants today. Still figuring out the auto water setup for the sprinklers with the timer system.

:( i hate cleaning and rearranging the garage,,but yet,we got rid of stuff in the yard sale.and i'll have room for prepping stuff once done..plus garage/yard sale stuff has it's own location.now i'll be able to just grab n go with it when it comes to setting it up..

cleared my closet,have now more room for my preps,my garden is otherwise ok,just waiting for sun and warmth.
got some new stuff for my med-kit

looks like im not even gonna get my seeds planted this year.and thats partly because of cold spells,that ranged 40 degrees
fahrenheit and me waiting as long as i have.and if i dont..then i'll at least have garden area ready for next year.and i have my seeds...im dumping grass clippings in garden area as i mow.

I'v emailed an Archery club just awaiting a reply and I'm joining, I'v also enrolled my kid in the scouts. I picked up a few useful books today form the charity shop.
Scouting is awesome, they teach all kinds of useful info. for prepping and everyday life. I wish I had a chance to go when a child.

i know it's at least a somewhat late start.but i just planted my tomato seeds in a starter flat..i used miracle grow potting mix for them...and IF all goes well with them.then i'll have 72 tomato plants...if not close to it....here in a lil bit,i'll be going out to plant my corn..gonna let my mom pick out 2 more out of 7 others,in which i'll plant..

well it's decided.we're also going with cantaloupe melon ad okra as well as corn and tomatoes this year,when it comes to veggies..

and as for the herbs..we're going with anise hyssop-basil (cinnamon)-parsley(plain/single)-chives(garlic)-and anise hyssop

lets hope you get some sun friend,I'm looking at my windowsills,don't know what to do if it doesn't get warm soon,my balcony isn't big enough

im sure get plenty of sun here..the queston is..will we get plenty of rain/ so i dont have to water more then i care for..good luck with it all

the everlasting problem how to find a nice balance with sun and water,I'm lucky to have a well 30yrds from my garden and take the task of carrying all that water as a workout ;)

nah,only pay is some lost pounds from my waist ;)
I'm considering some other options aswell,have to find out can I do it 'cause I rent that place

finally,no rain so next week it will be planting time,finished building my fence around my garden and made everything ready even my brother liked the place,which is strange 'cause he's not into gardening

my corn is in the ground.i have tomatoes in one flat.and okra in another.i already have 3 or 4 tomatoes sprouting..and i think 3 or 4 corn stalks..

that's a good start,it all started well here,early spring,sun and all,then we got hail,rain and some very cold weather only now it's beginning to be normal again

Sorry everyone for being off the grid for a while. A lot going on here.....
Well, my preps have been put on the back burner for a while. I have picked up some brass for reloading and gotten a deal on 500 9mm JHP bullets to reload. Once I find time to reload it all it will give me 10 more boxes of pistol ammo into storage. My latest purchase is a pop up camper. Stole it for $750. Its in perfect shape, clean and no rips in the canvass. I could easily more than double my money with it. I figure I am going to use it for general camping. From April - Oct I can use it for a temporary bugout option if needed, but I don't plan to bug out unless its the LAST resort.

The bunnies were a new addition sat night. I think I made a mistake though. I bred a pet rabbit with on of my New Zealand's, and the little ones are even cuter than normal. Won't make it any easier come dinner time!
image.jpg
There's two new ducks in there. I'm not so sure they like the chickens so much, but at least the chickens don't seem to mind them. I need to set up a small area at the front creek soon just to make them happier. Don't know if I'll eat these guys or just have them as interesting pets.
image.jpg
image.jpg
It was great to have a weekend to work on things here. I'm trying to get my hen house/yard back in shape. I'm putting a new roof on it , but am building it underneath the existing temp roof, which pretty much means a pain in the a--. The metal poles are going to be the new permanent roof, covered with chicken wire. The firewood row in the middle was to make a temp wall while I remodeled, but may become a permanent fixture as it gives shade during the heat of the day.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I got a little work in the greenhouse too this weekend, and the regular garden is starting to look good. I terraced it as an experiment, will see how it holds up. I have about 8 rows of corn at the top of the garden that got cut out.

might try using that septic tank in correspondence with your rain catch system,by transferring the water to it.but then you'll have to come up with a way to move it close enough to the garden and then use it to water your crops..is that wheel and tire a part of it.?or just sitting there? i have a 5 gallon bucket of chicken manure left over from last year..the watering can idea is a good idea..how much chicken manure do you mix into 2 gallons of water? we have a 2 gallon watering can already...
I don't have an exact measure, I just put a couple scoops in the bottom of a five gal bucket and fill with water. If it sits overnight it becomes very liquid, and smelly! Just don't pour it directly on the plants, stay a few inches away form the base.

a couple scoops ? like in coffee can scoops?

p.s. nice looking green house and garden
I have one of those small handheld garden shovels. I guess it would be close to two cups of chicken manure to 5 gal of water. I would rather err on the side of too little rather than an too much and burn the plants. By the way, do you or anyone here have any experience growing corn? I've planted it about five seasons now and still haven't gotten any yet. Tricky stuff!

thanks about the garden shovel..this is my first year to plant corn.and from i know about it..need to make sure its kept watered..if i remember right anorak and danil might know about corn..i need to relocate it.but i came across a recipe for keeping racoon deer and other wild life away from crops..

Latest posts

Back