This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how old is your kid?there's a great topic about folks with kids.and great ideas and points in it..here's one link about prepping with kids..
http://www.doomsdayprepperforums.com/index.php?threads/prepping-for-children.1026/#post-42673
My kids 10 and although I want to involve them in prepping I don't want to take away any innocence so need to do it in a playful fun way, Your a long time an adult and such a short time a kid, so would be good if thread helps me with that. thx jim

yeah..the most enjoyable times in life is when your a child.then a person becomes a parent.and the most enjoyable times becomes,when watching your own children grow,have fun playing,learning,,and other things

yeah..the most enjoyable times in life is when your a child.then a person becomes a parent.and the most enjoyable times becomes,when watching your own children grow,have fun playing,learning,,and other things
Aw thx man:)

Gimped over to purchase my daily allotted rounds of 223LR from my local Academy (Did that Monday and Wednesday), so 200 rounds this week of LR, another 350 rounds of 5.56 Lake City, six boxes of Plug and 8 boxes of 00 buck for 12 gauge that was on sale. Picked up a nice replacement scope at Academy that was on sale, saved me about $30 and beat the internet price.

Bought another 350 rounds of 5.56, 59 rounds of 50 cal and about 10 boxes of 7.62 for the FN from my ammo guy on the internet. Mom not happy, but I used my milk money.

Saw a great deal on some used modular sleeping bags for my team, bought them through Amazon and got some really not overly used bags, it included also a new BIVY and the Water resistant carrier.

Lol, now I am broke till Mommy gives me my new milk money, which I hope is soon!

Im throwing out a challenge to everyone to post what they do for prepping. I know time and money can limit what people can get done. Even one thing a week, no matter how small gets you one step closer to your goals. Over the next year this should be a huge thread and all of us should have 50 projects done.

This week my son and I picked up 700 223 brass and 800 40cal brass to reload. Cost was nothing but an hours time. Now the work starts to prepare it to reload and locate bullets.

What have you accomplished this week?
One off the best thing's I've done was to stop smoking 2yrs ago, I was getting out off breath when hiking and now I've got my lung capacity back. It was part off a 3yr fitness plan I set my self and I'm doing well just need to quit the pringles and I'm done. lol

this weeks preps; just signed for a glorius weekend in may,2 whole days tactical shooting and lectures with shotgun,course provided by national defence acadamy for army reserve here in finland,only drawback it's gonna chew a big hole in my ammostock,

Im throwing out a challenge to everyone to post what they do for prepping. I know time and money can limit what people can get done. Even one thing a week, no matter how small gets you one step closer to your goals. Over the next year this should be a huge thread and all of us should have 50 projects done.

This week my son and I picked up 700 223 brass and 800 40cal brass to reload. Cost was nothing but an hours time. Now the work starts to prepare it to reload and locate bullets.

I'm at the end off a week of sleep deprivation training, One more night to go, It's not been to bad this time, Very sore head, pain's in my eye's and I'm trowing up but I'm still managing to handle normal life or no one's told me otherwise anyway's. I'm soooo tired tho.

Snowflake,
just take it easy will you?
guess some sleep will feel fine after that..

yeah.snowflake.what jontte says..get rested up and all..dont want you to over do your self..

i've got 8-32 ounce bottles with screw on caps/lids,in which i been keeping filled with water.and been keeping them in the van..took um out emptied n washed this morning..i also have 11-1 gallon milk jugs with screw on caps/lids..i'm gonna start keeping water in..gotta wash them out better first..
i also went into harbor freight 2-3 days ago and bought a direct plug-in power inverter for plugging into a car lighter...output 115 volts ac,60hz...input 12 volts dc....and it allows me to keep my rechargeable/portable jump starter in the vehicle and charged up..it works great so far..i have a 3ft extension cord for that...i also have a 25ft extension cord in the vehicle.that way i can charge it while helping out someone that needs a jumpstart..gonna buy a longer tote for my camping stuff.this way i can keep my collapsible chairs in it as well as my camping stuff..

next sat,it's gonna be a trip to my favorite surplus-store,my shoppinglist is one tent(small and army-issue) some mre's,maybe a "new" back-pack and trousers.
looks like i'll have to jump over that puddle called atlantic if I'm gonna get tactical stock for my shotgun

im need to go to my local surplus store on the 16th to see what they have.i need to update my supplies if they have any thing i need...

even if we don't buy anything,it's still nice to walk there,look at the stuff and do the thinking;do I need this?? and possibly find something new you never thought you would

yeah..its a good way to find something you didn't see last visit there.plus they might have something that they didn't have the last visit there..i need to price the para cord they have there.and i'll get some then if the price is right to me..

P.S.can also plan ahead for next trip if you see something out of your price range on a trip there

Y'all are lucky, the nearest surplus store to my house is a little over an hour. I'm an Academy/Cabela's/Cheaper than Dirt.com prepper.

And my budget has prevented me from doing much this week. Did make a ton of charcloth from an old shirt and have been practicing our fire-making skills. I'm glad we're practicing cause it turns out neither my wife nor I are quite as good at starting fires than we thought...

the surplus store i go to,is somewhere around 35-40 miles away..so i simply wait till go to that town to do my primary grocery shopping for the month.or go to town for some other reason(s)..i also go to other places as well if i have the money..that happens once or twice a month..

Snowflake,
just take it easy will you?
guess some sleep will feel fine after that..
That's me done. Going to bed soon. My head was soooo sore today. Check out my new bag on help a newbie pick a bug out bag.:)

i've got 8-32 ounce bottles with screw on caps/lids,in which i been keeping filled with water.and been keeping them in the van..took um out emptied n washed this morning..i also have 11-1 gallon milk jugs with screw on caps/lids..i'm gonna start keeping water./quote]

Don't store drinking water in milk jugs. The dairy fats soak into the plastic and can't be washed out. It will turn the water rancid and make you sick. For flushing toilets it's just fine however...

gonna use 6 milk jugs to carry in the van..that it'll be there if needed when a vehicle is over heating or what ever.dunno what i'll do with the others..got a 55 gallon barrel with no lid for flushing toilet when needed..

Last edited:
well i got me a 8.5" SURVIVAL TOMAHAWK TACTICAL THROWING AXE BATTLE Hawk...i should have it by friday or saturday..total cost for me is $15.98..and that includes shipping :p and if it turns out to be to my liking.then i'll get me a 2nd one.one will be for my b.o.b.,and the other will be for everyday use

well i got me a 8.5" SURVIVAL TOMAHAWK TACTICAL THROWING AXE BATTLE Hawk...i should have it by friday or saturday..total cost for me is $15.98..and that includes shipping :p and if it turns out to be to my liking.then i'll get me a 2nd one.one will be for my b.o.b.,and the other will be for everyday use
I almost took my leg off the 1st time I used my axe.

i almost took off a finger once with a hatchet when i was a teen.good for me that the hatchet was dull.or i prolly would of..

i finally got around to buying a rechargeable radio.
Etón American Red Cross ARCFR160WXR Microlink Self-Powered AM/FM/NOAA Weather Radio with Flashlight, Solar Power and Cell Phone Charger (Red)
for 20 bucks. it recharges with the sun, or a hand crank. has flash light, am, fm, weather radio. and a usb to charge a phone, but it may charge an older phone, since many phones now days, need 500 mah power to start charging, and my phone requires 1,000 mah so this may not do it, but, a small mp3 player, or some other small device that charges via usb, but over all, i have tried it, and it works well.
i also bought a few extra rechargeable battery chargers. one charges via usb, and another charges via solar powered.

might want to check this out if you haven't already..it's the power cord for the eton i have..and i just ordered it..

http://www.shopetoncorp.com/detail/ETO+USB+ADAPTER+CORD

I'm off to get some shelves for my 72hr kit and have a look for a small B.O.B for my kid. I'm still trying to recover from my low cal sleep deprivation week, My sleep patterns all over the place and I look like s#;t.

I be a happy camper!! Just got another 1000 rounds of 7.62 for the AK and SKS.
My baby loooves me!!

I'v emailed an Archery club just awaiting a reply and I'm joining, I'v also enrolled my kid in the scouts. I picked up a few useful books today form the charity shop.

I'v emailed an Archery club just awaiting a reply and I'm joining, I'v also enrolled my kid in the scouts. I picked up a few useful books today form the charity shop.
archery is a useful skill. Good job.
As for the Scouts, I learned a ton of useful skills. I'm proud to be an " Eagle" and always support scouting.

Latest posts

Back