This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty impressed, 1 month is a real world test. I've thought about trying it for a week! I think trying to go a week without power would be tougher for me than the food! Now, quick, go treat yourself to your favorite food! Be well

That I would try although I would have problems since a lot of my moonlighting work, I do at home and need a computer to do it.

Good luck on your plan. Whatever you learn, we would love to also learn from your experience.

i got a cabinet and put it together the other day..and started stocking it up.
001.JPG 002.JPG

Always on the look out for unique military items I found a East German wood storage chest that comes with metal cans with removable lids for storage . Also got a remake of the knife Arnold used in the 80's movie Comando . It's to big to be very practical but I like it . Reminds me of the old Confeaderate Bowies . I put it on a pistol belt I use if I'm just going on a short hike .

thats true..that storage cabinet ain't as deep as i would like..but it'll do until i find one that is..

Always on the look out for unique military items I found a East German wood storage chest that comes with metal cans with removable lids for storage . Also got a remake of the knife Arnold used in the 80's movie Commando . It's to big to be very practical but I like it . Reminds me of the old Confederate Bowies . I put it on a pistol belt I use if I'm just going on a short hike .

nice finds..having a knife of any kind for protection,hunting,or what ever is better then none at all

i have 10 three ring note books that was given to me...i can start saving things in it.like maps in one.and what ever in the others

Today, when I went out to feed /milk the goats, Penelope didn't show up at the feed box so after I finished milking, I went to investigate where Penelope was. . . she was in the goat barn with two new little baby girls! I also made 4 loaves of headcheese and canned up 14 pints of pork stock. Most of my day has been in and out trying to keep an eye on the new girls since this is mamas first time. I am saving my milk from Polly Anna and Lucy just incase, but so far the girls are good.

i have 10 three ring note books that was given to me...i can start saving things in it.like maps in one.and what ever in the others
Set one aside for safe canning recipes from daniel54grl! Stay safe Jim.

Today, when I went out to feed /milk the goats, Penelope didn't show up at the feed box so after I finished milking, I went to investigate where Penelope was. . . she was in the goat barn with two new little baby girls! I also made 4 loaves of headcheese and canned up 14 pints of pork stock. Most of my day has been in and out trying to keep an eye on the new girls since this is mamas first time. I am saving my milk from Polly Anna and Lucy just incase, but so far the girls are good.
Congrats mom, but I thought we weren't supposed to name our food! Who am I to complain though, all those little bunnies are my buddies, I think they get more fresh fruit than I do!

Congrats mom, but I thought we weren't supposed to name our food! Who am I to complain though, all those little bunnies are my buddies, I think they get more fresh fruit than I do!
Polly Ann and Lucy are a couple of my milkers, so we won't be eating them. . . at least at this time. :)

Just kidding about your girls. However, how is goat meat?
Hey I name my meat too! Rib-eye, T-bone, Pork-chop. . . I have HEARD only goat meat is good. . . just hasn't happened with my babies:)!!

Miss Nanny, my Nubian goat had twin girls today. That is 4 more potential milkers born in 1 week!

Got one of thoes plastic 3 drawer storage carts and set it op for first aid / medical suplies . Have started filling it with stuff I've acumalated thrugh the years and placed a order from sportsmans guide for military surplus medical suplies .

I've been looking for a job for my gap year, going to be applying for a few over the next couple of weeks. I've also been working on organizing things a bit better.

Worked on some defense techniques with my brother in law, who teaches martial arts for a living. That fancy tomahawk won't do me a lick of good if I don't know how to use it but I feel pretty confident in one-on-one with the thing after today. Also played with his throwing knives a little and I think I want a set. Low on my priority list though. Times are tough, heh.

The wife worked on our water storage some more.

We'll I finally got 42 Acres in the Same county that Jack Daniel's is made, Has wooded area's and open fields with a lot of deer and turkey, a crystal clear creek that run's all year around. As soon as we get moved in I'm going to put a Garden in, get some chicken's, a hog and cow or two, The Horses are already out there...........

i just got my garden disked up by a neighbour with a tractor and disk..now i'm thinking of borrowing a neighbor's tiller to get it done up a lil better.mainly the ends of it..plus that'll level and smooth it out some what..then i'll take the wood chips i have and spread them out to kill off the weeds and grass..plus that'll help keep the ground wet longer..

Sounds like a good site and plan to get settled. Congratulations!
Thank you Lindy and JimLE, we got some stuff moved in today, still got a lot of project's, a couple of my survival group helped move some stuff in today, they liked it also.

i just got my garden disked up by a neighbour with a tractor and disk..now i'm thinking of borrowing a neighbor's tiller to get it done up a lil better.mainly the ends of it..plus that'll level and smooth it out some what..then i'll take the wood chips i have and spread them out to kill off the weeds and grass..plus that'll help keep the ground wet longer..
I got the main garden tilled as well. I'll till it one more time just before planting. And the pile of sawdust that's been composting for a year will go in it as well as a whole bunch of rabbit droppings. I used to till in the chicken manure but now I mix it in a bucket of water and use a watering can to apply around the plants. That alone has made more of a difference in my gardening success than anything else I've done. The only down side is chicken manure in a bucket of water, in the summertime, is the most foul smelling mixture around! Luckily the plants don't seem to be able to smell it;).

I got a deal on a plastic septic tank, unused of course, and was planning to use it to catch gutter runoff. Well I called the manufacturer and found out the plastic isn't considered safe for water storage. Damn! I'm debating on trying to line it with something, or just sell it and use the money for something else. If I decide to line it, any ideas?
image.jpg
That really sucks as it's 1050 gals. And would be a perfect way to use gravity to water the garden. I have two pumps and two good creeks, but if there's no electricity then I'm back to buckets.

might try using that septic tank in correspondence with your rain catch system,by transferring the water to it.but then you'll have to come up with a way to move it close enough to the garden and then use it to water your crops..is that wheel and tire a part of it.?or just sitting there? i have a 5 gallon bucket of chicken manure left over from last year..the watering can idea is a good idea..how much chicken manure do you mix into 2 gallons of water? we have a 2 gallon watering can already...

Latest posts

Back