This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome!

I am ashamed. I only bought my redundant multi tool from sellery coz it was on offer.

Made some soup for dinner tonight added in some of my dehydrated ripe tomatoes ! they rehydrated and tasted great ! i was very pleased with it think i will be expanding my dehydrated veggie assortment greatly!
When you store they do you have to use glass jars? Or can you seal them in plastic bags? This is what I want to do instead of canning EVERY thing!

went to town yesterday.stopped at dollar tree and got me a 12 pack of steel wool.each one is small in size.i figure they'd be great for fire starters when used with 9 volt transister battary.....also got a small hand held cutting board and a small hand held cheese grater.thinking all of them would make good items for a b.h.b. and/or b.o.b..all of them are small in size and very lite weight.also got 2 boxs of canning labels,60 to a box.in which i got from wal-mart

went to town yesterday.stopped at dollar tree and got me a 12 pack of steel wool.each one is small in size.i figure they'd be great for fire starters when used with 9 volt transister battary.....also got a small hand held cutting board and a small hand held cheese grater.thinking all of them would make good items for a b.h.b. and/or b.o.b..all of them are small in size and very lite weight.also got 2 boxs of canning labels,60 to a box.in which i got from wal-mart

Jim, instead of buying canning labels I use a black marker on the lid to note the contents. I then put numbers 114 to show I canned it Jan 2014. I use that number system on everything I store to keep up on rotation.

yeah..i saw that in one pic you posted..in which thats great and perfect when viewing them from the top.(BUT) in some,if not most situations.i'll be viewing them from the side of jars.so i figure going with both,might work best for me.plus i'll be able to write whats in them on the labels.for example.1 might have beef stew in it.and the 1 next to it might have venison stew in it.and just like others..there's times i dont like surprises..lol

got my vertical indoor hydroponics garden build in the making, cleaned out storage room, built shelving, bought seeds, and joined this forum for more ideas... i usually buy 1 flat of water a week or 1 big jug for storing, and when i get to the grocery store i grab a few items at a time those items depend on what projects we've been working on or reading up and learning about. Also gathered materials for greenhouse.

We'll I have not been on the forum for along time, but in the last couple months I added firearm, ammo, medical supplies, canned goods.

got my vertical indoor hydroponics garden build in the making, cleaned out storage room, built shelving, bought seeds, and joined this forum for more ideas... i usually buy 1 flat of water a week or 1 big jug for storing, and when i get to the grocery store i grab a few items at a time those items depend on what projects we've been working on or reading up and learning about. Also gathered materials for greenhouse.
It sounds like you are doing productive work. That is a great thing. I just joined this site and I have gained a better more focused mind set. The people here make me feel so welcomed. I have been working on coupon shopping and gathering up great deals that I can use now and put away for another day. I build up fast doing things that way! I saved over $2,600 this past year!! I hope to double that this year:D!

I reuse many items for preps and last night I was filling up my empty juice jugs and I stopped and thought that if I cut them I now have a personal greenhouse for one plant! Hummmm... I thought I could use many of them in this way to help get my seedlings going. Not only would it help with moisture and with heat for my seedling it also provides a shelter from insects! I thought that I would share this project with you all!

For those keeping rabbits, the water bottle nozzles screw on to empty soda 2 liter bottles perfectly. Which is awesome, because they constantly chew through the more expensive bottles, so the 2 liter bottles are FREE! (plus, they hold more water).

Practicing surviving on my foodstocks for the past 2 weeks. no buying outside first.
Testing our digestive system. So far so good.
Did you notice any side effects? Like, do you feel run down? How is your reaction time? A lot more bathroom use? I ask because I heard that people can be effected in these way when you change one's diet. And do you have children? If so, did they change their diet?
I like what you did it is something that we must try, as well!

For those keeping rabbits, the water bottle nozzles screw on to empty soda 2 liter bottles perfectly. Which is awesome, because they constantly chew through the more expensive bottles, so the 2 liter bottles are FREE! (plus, they hold more water).

The 2 liter bottles are nice but I don't have time to check on rabbits every day so I got a 55gal. drum, some of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF6N9J6/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and some plastic tube and I only have to water my rabbits once a month. I made some hay racks from old freezer baskets and used some gutter down spout in the top of the feeders to up their capacity 5x now I only have to give them pellets once a week and fill the hay racks about every two or three days.

Did you notice any side effects? Like, do you feel run down? How is your reaction time? A lot more bathroom use? I ask because I heard that people can be effected in these way when you change one's diet. And do you have children? If so, did they change their diet?
I like what you did it is something that we must try, as well!

Gettingreadymama,
My kids are currently ecstatic cause they love corned beef and SPAM.

We are also having pasta (mine is with olive oil). We cook our pasta not with salt but with Chicken Soup Powder. Makes the pasta flavorful even without the sauce.

The wife and I are kind of constipated since we grew up on fresh veggies and not much on canned goods (we currently live in a condominium so the only veggies we have are alukbati aka Ceylon Spinach in our plantbox aside from the herbs there.

We also noticed that we are experiencing a bit of lethargy maybe since we are also rationing the food to simulate SHTF scenario. We drink water on a 2L per day basis.

Am gonna run this for a month so we can see the full impact of living off canned goods and rice/pasta.

For iodine supplementation, we have cans of sardines and fermented fish and fermented shrimps (aka bagoong).

This will also help us plan better our nutritional needs (e.g. use of vitamin supplements, etc.)

PS: We still do have the luxuries of airconditioning and television. We are just testing the change in diet first.

Maybe you could consider preserved plums/prunes like those from del monte (not those dried ones from Taiwan). Sometimes, IRL I take that for fibre purposes.

Dehydrated apples will also help out some. Also choice of canned foods make a diff.

Plum/prune juice helps too.

I told the wifey that we are having Pineapples tonight to give us the fiber

We have some canned fruits that we will try out.

Gettingreadymama,
My kids are currently ecstatic cause they love corned beef and SPAM.

We are also having pasta (mine is with olive oil). We cook our pasta not with salt but with Chicken Soup Powder. Makes the pasta flavorful even without the sauce.

The wife and I are kind of constipated since we grew up on fresh veggies and not much on canned goods (we currently live in a condominium so the only veggies we have are alukbati aka Ceylon Spinach in our plantbox aside from the herbs there.

We also noticed that we are experiencing a bit of lethargy maybe since we are also rationing the food to simulate SHTF scenario. We drink water on a 2L per day basis.

Am gonna run this for a month so we can see the full impact of living off canned goods and rice/pasta.

For iodine supplementation, we have cans of sardines and fermented fish and fermented shrimps (aka bagoong).

This will also help us plan better our nutritional needs (e.g. use of vitamin supplements, etc.)

PS: We still do have the luxuries of airconditioning and television. We are just testing the change in diet first.

Overlord,
Thank you! I wish you and your family great luck! I think that what you are doing is great! Maybe we need to make a toppsy turbby plant holder. that way you can grow more food! ie strawberries. tomatoes, or goji fruit. That way you and you family can have a little more of what you are use too!
I understand about space! We just moved out of our apartment last Aug. to a small house. We had a small space and used every inch! A bucket and a homemade rack makes a great vine pant garden!
Airconditioning - ?? I wish I was in need of one of them!! I need heat now!! LOL We use space heaters.
Don't forget tuna!
I wish you and yours a great day and I am looking forward to more ideas from you! Great ideas!!

Maybe you could consider preserved plums/prunes like those from del monte (not those dried ones from Taiwan). Sometimes, IRL I take that for fibre purposes.

Dehydrated apples will also help out some. Also choice of canned foods make a diff.

Plum/prune juice helps too.

I was thinking a lot about Dehydrated food! I am going to go and get a dehydrator and a food sealer once my tax return gets in. I heard that it takes a long time?! Have you done this? I was also thinking about dehydrating sprouts!

With respect to the hanging plants, we are not allowed to have noticeable plants outside of the window that's why we limit it to small crawling plants and small plants.

Isn't it cold now in the US? heard about the Polar Vortex. Be Safe there.

Yep, wish I could have dehydrator too. Will add to my reply more tomorrow, am leaving the client now.

With respect to the hanging plants, we are not allowed to have noticeable plants outside of the window that's why we limit it to small crawling plants and small plants.

Isn't it cold now in the US? heard about the Polar Vortex. Be Safe there.

Yep, wish I could have dehydrator too. Will add to my reply more tomorrow, am leaving the client now.

Yes we are very cold!! And will do on the be safe thing! Thank you! Take care and looking forward to more of your great ideas!

The 2 liter bottles are nice but I don't have time to check on rabbits every day so I got a 55gal. drum, some of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF6N9J6/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and some plastic tube and I only have to water my rabbits once a month. I made some hay racks from old freezer baskets and used some gutter down spout in the top of the feeders to up their capacity 5x now I only have to give them pellets once a week and fill the hay racks about every two or three days.

Neat idea. I'm in the process of redesigning, building a new hutch, so will certainly use some of those. No real bother for us on the rabbits, as it is on the way out to the stables anyhow, so just a quick stop to fill the bottles, put out some pellets, and hay now and then (we just use floor hay from the storage area for the horses).

We're kind of moving towards automatic water solutions for all the animals, as much as we can. The soda bottle idea started as a quick solution, that just ended up working out better than the store bought ones.

I told the wifey that we are having Pineapples tonight to give us the fiber

We have some canned fruits that we will try out.
Pineapples are good. Hi calorie from the sugar too. Actually I wonder about the dried mangoes in Philippines. Good source of fibre?

Dried guava might work too.
Delicious too!

i bought a 55 gallon blue barrel with no lid yesterday..plan on useing it for toliet water if the pipes should frezee up or break during a winter frezze.pluse i got a case of bottled water..plan on getting more cases when i get my tax return..looked at some shelves and cabnets as well..found one i'll get..its some where between 17 to 20 inechs deep.so i'll use it untill i find one the size im looking for..

i bought a 55 gallon blue barrel with no lid yesterday..plan on useing it for toliet water if the pipes should frezee up or break during a winter frezze.pluse i got a case of bottled water..plan on getting more cases when i get my tax return..looked at some shelves and cabnets as well..found one i'll get..its some where between 17 to 20 inechs deep.so i'll use it untill i find one the size im looking for..

Nice man, I have been using two litter pop bottles, just out of the tap. After three months I water my plants with them then refill. CHEAP plus you get SODA FIRST.

this week. given its lunar new year or chinese new year as one internet troll has put it.

I've done nothing except to gain weight. LoL. I guess that helps buffer some :X

Pineapples are good. Hi calorie from the sugar too. Actually I wonder about the dried mangoes in Philippines. Good source of fibre?

Dried guava might work too.
Delicious too!

We don't have dried guava as of the moment. Dried fruits are hard to come by here and if they are available, they are pretty expensive. Since I live in a condo, am planning for a stove top dehydrator so I can dehydrate my fruits.

Most of my fruits (aside from fresh for daily consumption) are canned.

Where in Singapore are you from? I used to travel a lot there in the mid-90s to early 2000 for training and business meetings.

I'm in between Toa Payoh and Novena ... nice place with lotsa good local food :D

Dehydrator is good. Stuff like Mangoes, Guavas and Pineapples make excellent dehydrated snacks. The fibre that comes with them is excellent too.

Might want to consider stuff like Chia Seeds, Psilum (from India) as well. They're all "add water, wait till the water is absorbed" and drink. A little fruit juice or cordial will make it good too. After dehydrating, all you need is a good vacuum sealer and you're set.

Latest posts

Back