This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a couple rough weeks for me,we had a death in the family and had to take care of his (my Uncle) funeral and estate as he had nothing setup ahead of time and we were the only family he had.Put a big strain on things and sorry for a few "grouchy" comments i've made in the last week or so.This ordeal has been a bit taxing on me.

However,in cleaning out his house getting it ready to sell,I did get all of his canning equipment and supplies,fishing and camping equipment as well as his guns (nothing fancy,but the more the merrier).Also made a large donation to our local Goodwill with much of his remaining items and gave some away to needy families (furniture,dishes,etc.) on Craigslist.Now at least he'll know that his belongings went to help the less fortunate.

I'm gonna miss him but glad that all is now done except for the sale of his house (thank God,it was paid off and his taxes were up to date).He was a simple man but at least he was smart enough to make me his power of attorney several years ago which saved a ton of headaches.

My condolences sharkbait...

Spent this week working on getting a new job. Will hear late this week for a final answer. If it happens, prepping will go on hold until I get the house sold and get moved. This is ok as with the new job will be more $$ to prep with!!
Good luck Trapper. Hope fully your sparkling personality and people skills will help you.

Well my prep was unintentional. We had a friend who called to say that he had two boars that crossed the road and he ended up hitting the last one. We had to 'find him' on the road, but it was a fresh road kill. He was only about 6 months old, but we brought him home (gutted at site) and skinned and quartered him, I have it soaking in salted water to draw out the blood and blood clots right now. Tomorrow, I will start the actual processing. He was whole but 'mangled', since he bumped quite a bit under the truck, at the bacon point so will be making sausage out of that. Poor baby wasn't very old, but we can use the meat. I hope some of you others can be open minded and accept what comes their way. There are some, many other would cringe on this, but meat is meat in the long run.
Happy days for you. I love free meat. It's the most affordable kind.

Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers,I really appreciate it!Things are settling down now and I am mentally ready to move forward again.

Prayers and well wishes sent your way Prepped123 and I hope for nothing but the best for your friend.

RangerBob,
Can you do a detailed range report on that air rifle? It would be nice to go over features, accuracy, and effective range. I am interested in getting an airgun if they are up to truly taking small game as effectively as a 22lr. The air rifles we had a kids had a tough time to anchor a squirrel or pigeon. Mainly used to shoot sparrows and blackbirds.
First off-Good luck with the job!

2nd-I know you quoted RangerBob,but i'll chime in.I have two air rifles in .22 caliber.A Gamo Bull Whisper and a BAM B-21 and can say these aren't the old Daisy's and Crossman's.On the B-21,the pellets leaving the muzzle brake the sound barrier which produces a "crack" that is comparable to a .22short.The Gamo,while not silent is much quieter than the B-21.Pellet velocities vary depending on the type of pellets used but both are very capable of a clean kill on up to raccoon sized game.Most of the advertised velocity rates are a usually little over rated or achieved by using PBA alloy pellets.Lead pellets don't produce as high of rates but the energy needed is still there.

Rangerbob,

Are you thinking of that air rifle just because? Or is there an advantage over just purchasing a 22?

RangerBob,
Can you do a detailed range report on that air rifle? It would be nice to go over features, accuracy, and effective range. I am interested in getting an airgun if they are up to truly taking small game as effectively as a 22lr. The air rifles we had a kids had a tough time to anchor a squirrel or pigeon. Mainly used to shoot sparrows and blackbirds.
I'll try to get some time and do a detailed range report for ya Trapper. Good luck with the job too.

I picked the air rifle up for the kids actually.I started them out on the good ol' daisy red rider and I'm teaching the oldest how to shoot with a scoped weapon. Pellets are easy to come by,22lr here in cali are not,so that got me into the new HP air rifles. They are impressive.

This week was a massive milestone for me: talked with my parents about prepping for the first time and it went really well. I have dropped some hints over the last few weeks about how bad things are getting and how agitated people are getting with certain things. On saturday night my father and I really talked about prepping in a full blown 3 hour talk. Turns out my dad is kinda a prepper also. While not 100% a prepper he gets the points, stocks extra things and understands why I feel this way. My mom actually took the news really well also, but sorta placed some limits to my prepping. I can't buy more than $50 of gear at a time, no stocking food or weapons and I have to keep my gear up to date on my own. I've also dropped a few hints over the last 6 months about getting a gun. Unfortunately my mom isn't so on board with that one. But I think by the time we move home she will be more open but limit me to 1-2 guns tops. Looking at a 12 gauge and a .45 acp. Only time will tell how this works out though

A good step in the right direction. You presented your thoughts and your reasons in a clear and passionate way. If you talked for three hours then you spoke to your parents with respect! Good job Tyler, I'm proud of you!
Lindy

This week was a massive milestone for me: talked with my parents about prepping for the first time and it went really well. I have dropped some hints over the last few weeks about how bad things are getting and how agitated people are getting with certain things. On saturday night my father and I really talked about prepping in a full blown 3 hour talk. Turns out my dad is kinda a prepper also. While not 100% a prepper he gets the points, stocks extra things and understands why I feel this way. My mom actually took the news really well also, but sorta placed some limits to my prepping. I can't buy more than $50 of gear at a time, no stocking food or weapons and I have to keep my gear up to date on my own. I've also dropped a few hints over the last 6 months about getting a gun. Unfortunately my mom isn't so on board with that one. But I think by the time we move home she will be more open but limit me to 1-2 guns tops. Looking at a 12 gauge and a .45 acp. Only time will tell how this works out though

Way to go !!!

This week I changed my education. I have been working on a degree in finance for the last two years, nearly complete. I am getting a little burned out doing some type of algebra three times a week, so to keep on track and to help prep, next quarter I am taking a short break from finance and taking an EMT-inter course.

Working 56 hours a week doesn't leave alot of time but my life style at home helps me prep every week I find time to go hunting or fishing . We put out a garden every spring and have chickens . I was fortunate enough to have spent alot of time around the old folks growing up and learned canning and other ways to preserve food like drying . This stuff just comes natural to my family . My kids and now grand kids think it's neat stuff . But as to the original topic this week I found time to organize some MRE'S I got a great deal on last week and put away some other gear I picked up at a surplus store . I reload ammo for some of my firearms . I am trying out the LEE factory crimp dies for 300 wim mag and 25 06 .

Will be going to the grocery tonight and adding some more stocks to my storage. Need to reset the volume of DAX, Rice, SPAM, and some other stuff

Another big step for me this week. I've been working on getting my parents to see why I prep, and I've made some good ground. Not only have they understood but also my father as agreed to let me gather and store my own gear when we get back to canada

This week I got my cb radio set up in the house, also purchased a hand held ham radio. Now I just got to get my tech license next month and I'll be on air to try out the new hand held. I added a rain catch barrel to the garage gutters for watering the garden, and this weekend my buddy is gunna help me star running the wiring for a solar system

Only one thing done this week got in my shipment of nascent iodine gonna try it out for a while.

We have several Pecan trees so me and my Wife picked up pecans and put most up and have a pie in the oven now . These trees also provide the ocasional Squirel dinner . I think anyone prepping for a survival situation should know how to hunt and dress thier own wild game . I know many folks that like to hunt but you could not make them field dress anything .

Got my new job. After a long hiring process now the work starts. We will be selling our house. The area we are moving to will provide a lot more places to hunt and fish.
Got our 2nd deer for the year today too. One more deer and we will be in good shape. Canned the scraps from the last deer. This one will provide more burger. Also bought a pig on the hoof for $100 that I need to get butchering done on. The freezers will be full soon.

That is great Mr. Trapper, congratulations! I pray you sell your home quickly and the move, getting established in your new home and starting your new job goes smoothly. ( We are trying to sell our home and move too.)
Blessings,
Lindy

Got my new job. After a long hiring process now the work starts. We will be selling our house. The area we are moving to will provide a lot more places to hunt and fish.
Got our 2nd deer for the year today too. One more deer and we will be in good shape. Canned the scraps from the last deer. This one will provide more burger. Also bought a pig on the hoof for $100 that I need to get butchering done on. The freezers will be full soon.

Congratulations, Trap!

Latest posts

Back