This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also wanted to say I really learned from your tape on your EDC. I will be reworking my bag. I am the one you spoke of that the bags weighs 40-50 pounds. I can't carry that I need to put it on my chair. With how you explained things it made so much sense although I can't imagine not having a change of clothes. I know you said it wasn't your BOB. You mentioned you were required to carry pepper spray by your employer, did I hear that correctly?

Ok gotcha. I was thinking it had some other importance. How accurate would you say some expiration dates are? For example, an expiration of milk is likely to be accurate within a few days, but would a date on can goods be less accurate and the product is actually fine to consume weeks-months after the date?

I would think so, I know I have done it in the past with no harm. Any bulges on cans is a sure sign they are toast. Manly what I am saying is you don't want a bunch of crap food that you won't eat down the road. So it's a waste of money.

I also wanted to say I really learned from your tape on your EDC. I will be reworking my bag. I am the one you spoke of that the bags weighs 40-50 pounds. I can't carry that I need to put it on my chair. With how you explained things it made so much sense although I can't imagine not having a change of clothes. I know you said it wasn't your BOB. You mentioned you were required to carry pepper spray by your employer, did I hear that correctly?

Yes I'm required, I am a professional bodyguard, My company makes me but, I'd carry it anyways. Any way I can help you I will.. You can also PM me freely!

Yesterday I did a bunch of moving around and now I'm officially a closet Prepper :p I moved all my gear from the basement to my room for potential flooding and I added quiet a few batteries to my gear. Also I did a quick calculation and I have enough food for my family for 2 weeks. Just 2 weeks more to go to hit my 1 month goal.

well what have i done this week for preps?? i replaced the pasta my wife snatched out of one of my survival food buckets ! then i chewed her ass for it!

No activity for the week, just did a tour of war memorials here with Strop2. Back to office for today.

This week I have given away a lot of my old stuff- Clothes, shoes, stuff I don't use- to the homeless. I added a better plans for Ammo caches. Added a new IIIA Ballistic tactical vest to my gear, and have a plans for a cold weather walk out this weekend.

Been a couple rough weeks for me,we had a death in the family and had to take care of his (my Uncle) funeral and estate as he had nothing setup ahead of time and we were the only family he had.Put a big strain on things and sorry for a few "grouchy" comments i've made in the last week or so.This ordeal has been a bit taxing on me.

However,in cleaning out his house getting it ready to sell,I did get all of his canning equipment and supplies,fishing and camping equipment as well as his guns (nothing fancy,but the more the merrier).Also made a large donation to our local Goodwill with much of his remaining items and gave some away to needy families (furniture,dishes,etc.) on Craigslist.Now at least he'll know that his belongings went to help the less fortunate.

I'm gonna miss him but glad that all is now done except for the sale of his house (thank God,it was paid off and his taxes were up to date).He was a simple man but at least he was smart enough to make me his power of attorney several years ago which saved a ton of headaches.

I'm so sorry for you loss Mr. Sharkbait! I hope the sale of his house goes quickly and when you use the things he left, you will have fond memories of your dear Uncle.
Lindy

Added lightweight tarps to my two BOBs, added 5 gallons to my water reserves, and bought a Mountain House Beef Stew to try out. If I like it, I'll stock up on more of them to add to my food reserves.

The Beef Stew has more veggies than the other meals, and when you get to my age, veggies are important :rolleyes:

100_1671.JPG
Blam! altoid mini mini post more when i decide what to do with it .

well per colts suggestion here it is my first altoid smalls survival candle ! made it last night. great idea colt!
100_1679.JPG

Went to the dollar store today and grabbed this cus i am on meds will be a great addition to my BOB ! great for any prepper on meds and is small enough to use in a first aid kit to hold aspirin ,ibuprofen, etc.
100_1680.JPG

Hmm got some 8th in. flat steel in my truck thinking about making a simple spear head and maybe a few standard arrow heads for my bag granted these would be for homemade arrows if i were to use them but the spearhead would be handy to have for fish,frogs, boar, any slow moving game like possum or coon. ill post a pic when i get this going.

As for actual prepping this week, not much. As for peace of mind and tactical training, I have gotten in contact with the Militia in my area and am discussing joining.
I am raking them over the coals on their membership reqirements, morals, and their political views. Just investigating at this point.

Ok guys have another little team project here ! have an empty cookie tin it is 7-1/2 in. in diameter and 2-1/4 in. in depth i need some cool ideas on what to do with it survival or bugout wise . would love to here your ideas and ill try to make it happen. here is a pic so u know exactly what im working with.
100_1704.JPG
100_1706.JPG

1st of all.them are some good cookies..a tin of them dont last a month with me..

a 1st aid kit of some kind
home made charcoal or some thing else for starting a fire
extra ammo

Inventorying my fishing gear today, then sight in my new air rifle I picked up. I'm very impressed with the workmanship and power these new air rifles put out. I picked up a Ruger that shoots alloy pellets at 1500fps! That's crazy. I think it's going to be perfect for small game hunting. Ammo is cheap, $ 4 and some change for 250 rds. I think it will be pretty accurate, I put a decent scope on it and it has a rifled barrel.

Inventorying my fishing gear today, then sight in my new air rifle I picked up. I'm very impressed with the workmanship and power these new air rifles put out. I picked up a Ruger that shoots alloy pellets at 1500fps! That's crazy. I think it's going to be perfect for small game hunting. Ammo is cheap, $ 4 and some change for 250 rds. I think it will be pretty accurate, I put a decent scope on it and it has a rifled barrel.

RangerBob,
Can you do a detailed range report on that air rifle? It would be nice to go over features, accuracy, and effective range. I am interested in getting an airgun if they are up to truly taking small game as effectively as a 22lr. The air rifles we had a kids had a tough time to anchor a squirrel or pigeon. Mainly used to shoot sparrows and blackbirds.

Spent this week working on getting a new job. Will hear late this week for a final answer. If it happens, prepping will go on hold until I get the house sold and get moved. This is ok as with the new job will be more $$ to prep with!!
Hope you get the job you want Trapper.

Well my prep was unintentional. We had a friend who called to say that he had two boars that crossed the road and he ended up hitting the last one. We had to 'find him' on the road, but it was a fresh road kill. He was only about 6 months old, but we brought him home (gutted at site) and skinned and quartered him, I have it soaking in salted water to draw out the blood and blood clots right now. Tomorrow, I will start the actual processing. He was whole but 'mangled', since he bumped quite a bit under the truck, at the bacon point so will be making sausage out of that. Poor baby wasn't very old, but we can use the meat. I hope some of you others can be open minded and accept what comes their way. There are some, many other would cringe on this, but meat is meat in the long run.

Latest posts

Back