This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they are out of stock during a sale, ask for a rain check. Then you can go back later and get them for the sale price.
Unfortunately where I live, even if you tell them and give them your number, they don't contact you when there is a sale. Will just check back with them from time to time.

ally oakley.i have a nook in which i have a apps programcalled fliq notes.12 diffrent folders in it.and another one called out of milk..out of milk i use mot of all.on acount i consider it the better app.there i can tpe in any ideas i come up with.and delete the idea later on.or retype it later on to make it a batter idea

Unfortunately where I live, even if you tell them and give them your number, they don't contact you when there is a sale. Will just check back with them from time to time.
when i get a rain check where i shop at..they'll put it on paper and hand to me.that way i can go in another day and get said item(s) at the sale price.even if its been 4 -5 days since said sale

With the default deadline looming and the trucker strike,my wife just took off with a couple hundred bucks and a giant stack of coupons.Can't wait to see what all she drags home.Also my bulk order of 7.62's came in yesterday.

With the default deadline looming and the trucker strike,my wife just took off with a couple hundred bucks and a giant stack of coupons.Can't wait to see what all she drags home.Also my bulk order of 7.62's came in yesterday.
I need to order some 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, and .308
I would also love to get me some .22's, but those are like cigarettes in prison..... actually .22's are more difficult to come by.

I need to order some 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, and .308
I would also love to get me some .22's, but those are like cigarettes in prison..... actually .22's are more difficult to come by.
Call your local big 5 sporting goods and find out what days there ammo comes in, then be inline at 6.00 am. Thats what the guy at are big 5 told us.

Added the following to my stores:
1Kg Spaghetti
2 Cans SPAM
2 400g Cans Mushrooms
2Kg Jasmine Rice
5Kg Sinandomeng Rice
12 Cans of Various Pepsi brand sodas (for testing how long these will last in storage)
100g of dried Cloud Ear Fungus
250g of Mung beans
500g of Red Kidney beans
1 can of Dak Pork Luncheon Meat
1 Can of Refried Beans
2 Cans of Hereford Corned Beef
1 Liter bottle of Soy Sauce
2 Big (48 hour) candles
I know the volumes are not much but I only insert these items when we do the grocery (which is twice a month, when I have extra money, I buy more). Over time, it has accummulated. The wifey will be re-arranging the closet and shelves to make room for more stuff.

What is dried Cloud ear fungus?

Hi Lindy, Cloud ear fungus is what we call "tenga ng daga" here (aka Rat's ears because of its shape)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_ear_fungus

a small piece when hydrated actually expands to a pretty big piece. we mix it in stews, "pansit" or sauteed noodles, and a lot more. it is actually bland but the texture is like cartilage. It absorbs the flavor of whatever you are cooking. Has a high nutritional value.

I prep various mushrooms since these pack protein, minerals, and vitamins.

Added the following to my stores:
1Kg Spaghetti
2 Cans SPAM
2 400g Cans Mushrooms
2Kg Jasmine Rice
5Kg Sinandomeng Rice
12 Cans of Various Pepsi brand sodas (for testing how long these will last in storage)
100g of dried Cloud Ear Fungus
250g of Mung beans
500g of Red Kidney beans
1 can of Dak Pork Luncheon Meat
1 Can of Refried Beans
2 Cans of Hereford Corned Beef
1 Liter bottle of Soy Sauce
2 Big (48 hour) candles
I know the volumes are not much but I only insert these items when we do the grocery (which is twice a month, when I have extra money, I buy more). Over time, it has accummulated. The wifey will be re-arranging the closet and shelves to make room for more stuff.

Slow and steady wins the race. Good job !!

Saturday I helped my brother-in-law install the ridge cap on the barn for our BOL. Once the barn is completed we plan to have someone bring in a portable sawmill to cut lumber that we will stack in the barn to dry for building our permanent BOL main cabin. Right now we are using an old double wide trailer.

We also discussed off-grid schemes. We are leaning towards using a hydro generator powered by a flowing artesian well.

Worked on finishing the barn...horse should be up by next weekend! WHOOhoo
Gathered a few more recipes to try for long lasting food storage...going to try cooking them tonight but that might have to wait till Wed evening. Barn cat now has 4 lovely little kittens (after a lovely adventure of trying to get 2 of them out of the wall in the neighbors wall because momma cat abandoned them...thank God for my good neighbors)
Cleaned out more storage space in the basement because I needed to be able to pick up a few more cases of water

Set up a pick up routine with a friend in a bakery dept for their used frosting containers. Will now get all the 2gal to 6gal food grade storage containers I will ever need 3-6/week, and she's giving them away to me for free. Right up my budget alley.

Set up a pick up routine with a friend in a bakery dept for their used frosting containers. Will now get all the 2gal to 6gal food grade storage containers I will ever need 3-6/week, and she's giving them away to me for free. Right up my budget alley.

Awesome

Call your local big 5 sporting goods and find out what days there ammo comes in, then be inline at 6.00 am. Thats what the guy at are big 5 told us.
That's what I do. Thursday is my local big 5 delivery.

Down with the flu. No activity for the week
Get well soon. I got hit with it last week. One of the kids (walking petri dish) brought the cootie to the house to share with everyone.

Just got back from a local grocier that had canned veggies on sale for .37cents a can,bought 6 cases and they had hamburger helper for $1 a box,so we picked up 30 boxes to add to the rotation.

Latest posts

Back