This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added a bit more to my stash:
500grams of Cotton
3 cans of Dak Cooked Ham
1 Can of Corned Beef (Libby)
3kg of Japanese rice
3kg of Spaghetti
6 cans of Tuna (Flakes in oil, hot and spicy, solid chunk in veg oil)
3 cans of Delimondo Corned Beef, Chili Corned Beef, and Meat Loaf

New lantern, some more ammo, and a government shutdown... Not sure if the last one is actually a prep so much as an excuse to prep... Either way, I'll take it! SHUT UT DOWN....

I just finished making 12 soy wax long burning emergency candles. It took 2 days not because it is hard just had to be on my feet and I can't do that for a long time. One step at a time, many more ahead but I'm glad I'm moving forward. ~Lindy

If you don't mind me asking ,,,, How much did it cost pre candle. I make much smaller ones out of altoids tins. Good for bug out bag or camping plus they have a built in lid / reflector.

Added a bit more to my stash:
500grams of Cotton
3 cans of Dak Cooked Ham
1 Can of Corned Beef (Libby)
3kg of Japanese rice
3kg of Spaghetti
6 cans of Tuna (Flakes in oil, hot and spicy, solid chunk in veg oil)
3 cans of Delimondo Corned Beef, Chili Corned Beef, and Meat Loaf

We just started eating are supply's so we can restock and rotate, have to say we stocked what we liked to eat and it pays off.

Hi Mr. Colt,
12 pint mason jars, 10 pounds soy wax and 50 wicks $3.27 for each candle. I know I could've made them cheaper, but my Mr. does not like to garage sale shop and I can't drive right now and I didn't have any mason jars with lids. Some of the candles I put 2 wicks in for a brighter light and for a hand warmer if needed. :)

Hi Mr. Colt,
12 pint mason jars, 10 pounds soy wax and 50 wicks $3.27 for each candle. I know I could've made them cheaper, but my Mr. does not like to garage sale shop and I can't drive right now and I didn't have any mason jars with lids. Some of the candles I put 2 wicks in for a brighter light and for a hand warmer if needed. :)

Not bad, not bad at all, plus you can reuse the mason jars. Thanks for the info, think i might be making some larger candles.

And I have extra wicks so won't have to buy them for next time. Next time I need to make a purchase I will be buying more wax because I used all 10 pounds for the 12 candles. It was the perfect amount. Then I will have the wax before I need it. I will wait until I need other things to get the free shipping. Oh I didn't put the price of the matchbooks I'm going to put in each jar because I don't have those yet. Those shouldn't cost that much. We used to be able to get free matchbooks that establishments use for advertising but restaurants and public places are non smoking so I haven't seen those for a long time.

First-thanks all for returning the thread back to where it belongs! Likes for all!

Today I scored 9 boxes of ammo (wife and older son was with me ;),three box limits) and picked up another oil lantern at wally world,as well as got two more 5 gal kerosene jugs filled.

We just started eating are supply's so we can restock and rotate, have to say we stocked what we liked to eat and it pays off.
My wife did a little "rotation" without my knowledge. It ticks me off when she does that then when I find out, she is the one who gets mad spewing all sorts of excuses even if the pantry has the same items.
Am getting addicted to Dak Cooked Ham that's why I have something like 15 cans of the stuff now. I kinda like its sweetish salty taste.
Been trying to get refried beans. I saw them on Sale Price (about 50% off) on refried beans at the supermarket, unfortunately, they were out of stock.

Wifey made amends last night, she came home with 5 kilos (11 lbs) of rice for the stock.

Last edited:
OK. Had a wind fall payback from a buddy who owed me cash for a looooonnnnngggggg time. I'm up in his neck of the woods so I called him to get together.
I get to his house to pick him up and he hands me a box.
He says that he has been out of work for 2 months, not to feel sorry for him. He is ok.
so I ask, whats in the box? He says that is all he can pay the loan back with. I told him forget about the cash.
He says I better take it or he will kick my a#$. Being that he is much larger, stronger, and a tad bit younger than myself, I HAD to accept it.
So this is what he gave me:
IMG_00000228.jpg

Rather then stock prep items i am concentrating more on primitive survival and camping items! just received my order of ferro rods from the pathfinder store am very pleased!

OK. Had a wind fall payback from a buddy who owed me cash for a looooonnnnngggggg time. I'm up in his neck of the woods so I called him to get together.
I get to his house to pick him up and he hands me a box.
He says that he has been out of work for 2 months, not to feel sorry for him. He is ok.
so I ask, whats in the box? He says that is all he can pay the loan back with. I told him forget about the cash.
He says I better take it or he will kick my a#$. Being that he is much larger, stronger, and a tad bit younger than myself, I HAD to accept it.
So this is what he gave me:View attachment 1549
very nice tactical vest!

Basically just info research as I was forced to 3rd shift @work and well... I just don't deal with 3rd shift very well. Too tired from the switch for much manual labor so preppin the ol brain-pan.

Ive been so busy with work and school about all Ive had time to do is think about all the stuff I wanna get done.;)
That is important too, when you don't have time to get anything done take your time to plan! It will make you more efficient and save you money in the long run. I spend time researching products and prep supplies when I can do my actual prepping. It helps to keep a list and track what to do.

another thing about being busy..might try carrying a pad of paper n pen with you at all times,for when you think of something that'd be a good idea..write it down.then look over the list of things you wrote down when you do have time to do so.

Got everything together to put up buckets with mylar bags. 6 more 5 gallon pails. We also started making 5 gallon pails with 1/2 gallon mylars in of various foods. Got a good start with the mylar bags finished. Going to finish them with DAK canned hams and dehydrated hashbrowns and other goodies. Also got most of our seasonal canning done. The shelves are filling back in as we used a lot of stuff over the past few months.
Best of all, got the green light to return to work from my doctor. First day back starts Saturday!!

Awesome, Trapper... Congrats and best of luck to you getting back on the grind!

I went to the Goodwill last week and got the upper part of a Big Berkey WITH two filters for $5! I called the company and ordered the bottom chamber for $40 and the spigot for $12. So, for less than $60, I got a Big Berkey! I also purchased a small butane stove, ordered a case of butane cannisters, bought a large Dalton filter to make an additional water filter system with 5 gallons buckets and put in a fall garden. I purchased an additional 18 cases of water and put 9 cases of bottled water behind two different armoires in my house that sit in the corners. It was just wasted space behind there before and you can't even tell that there are stashes of bottled water behind them now. I built a compost bin out of four used pallets, hinging the front to make a door. I have canned or purchased an additional 2 months worth of food for my family of 5. I also purchased enough paper and towels to last us for over 6 months (they had a big sale). Still working on everything a little at a time. Will plant potatoes in 55 gallon trash cans this coming week and I am purchasing a portable toilet.

Oh, I forgot to add that I bought a dehydrator at another Goodwill for $7! I have dehydrated pineapple, bananas and basil out of my garden thus far.

another thing about being busy..might try carrying a pad of paper n pen with you at all times,for when you think of something that'd be a good idea..write it down.then look over the list of things you wrote down when you do have time to do so.
I do this all the time. I am constantly thinking of things that I need to get or do. I am also keeping my eyes open for free or cheap stuff. I am also realizing that some of the "stuff" that I have around here is just taking up precious space. I have been selling stuff and using the money to buy preps.

My wife did a little "rotation" without my knowledge. It ticks me off when she does that then when I find out, she is the one who gets mad spewing all sorts of excuses even if the pantry has the same items.
Am getting addicted to Dak Cooked Ham that's why I have something like 15 cans of the stuff now. I kinda like its sweetish salty taste.
Been trying to get refried beans. I saw them on Sale Price (about 50% off) on refried beans at the supermarket, unfortunately, they were out of stock.

Wifey made amends last night, she came home with 5 kilos (11 lbs) of rice for the stock.

If they are out of stock during a sale, ask for a rain check. Then you can go back later and get them for the sale price.

Back