This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LW, sure, if we can only justify the costs of shipping to my wifey and your hubby LOL.... If only I lived next door, this would be a done deal...

Hmmmm.... Come to think of it... Why do I have so much pasta and not enough sauce....:confused:

especially if we are invaded

Logistically, there really isn't any military on Earth with this capability, at least not for more than just establishing a short-lived beachhead.
Our geographic isolation has long been our biggest defense against invasion. Simply put, any large force would be spotted en-route, and easily dealt with before ever landing.
Likewise, most other nations don't have the delivery mechanisms in place to deposit the large number of troops, armor, and aircraft required to do it here.
Our big vulnerability is to missile or isolated terror attacks, which is why unfriendly nations put so much into it.

Got 2 Butane cans, 2 Cans of SPAM, 10-bag XL roll of Garbage Bags, and 16M of Aluminum Foil.
4 Packets of Knorr Cream soup (asparagus, Broccoli, Mushroom, Chicken) Powder mix.
2 x Eveready 5+2 AA Battery Packs.

Will be loading up on 4 Gallons of Water (Drinking) tomorrow.

I'll trade you spaghetti sauce for that pasta, Overlord. I have too much sauce, not nearly enough pasta.
Hahaha I am reversed. Got 4 5 gallon buckets filled with pasta. Only have 20 jars of sauce lol.

Bought 120 cans of veggies for $40 with a $10 Catalina for next purchase. Thinking about going for another 40 cans for $10. Also, had two fire starters come in the mail. Orderd a food dehydrator. We bought a mini horse.

Well for starters, get her broken for riding. Then driving a cart. She's two years old and solid! Great personality. Very sweet. The girls love her.

Got 2 5+2 packs of Eveready AA batteries and 4 Knorr soup packs... Am reducing my money for prepping for the next 1 month, have to pay for my daughter's college tuition by the end of the week...

Will focus on Water Supply first.

You're truckin right along Overlord ;)

My preps this week was a craigslist steal.Picked up a 14x8 cabin tent,2 catfish rods and reels,a coleman lantern (old style pump up) all in great condition plus a large catfish tailored tackle box with a 50/50 mix of junk and good stuff in it for $65.Just seen the ad and it was fairly close,so I couldn't pass it up.

That's a good deal, Sharkbait. $65.00 is not that much money but the stuff you got was worth more than that. The Tent alone is already a chunk of money when bought at the store.

Am looking at a Puricom CP1 water filter system. It is priced at $50.00 here with cartridges (good for 2,500 gallons) at about $12.00 each.

That's a good deal, Sharkbait. $65.00 is not that much money but the stuff you got was worth more than that. The Tent alone is already a chunk of money when bought at the store.

Am looking at a Puricom CP1 water filter system. It is priced at $50.00 here with cartridges (good for 2,500 gallons) at about $12.00 each.

Thanks! I freaking LOVE craigslist,over the years i've even bought stuff that I didn't want just to flip it because the deal was just to good to pass up.Being disabled,it helps with the savings or alot of times,i'll clean up (whatever it is) and barter it for something else that I can really use.

I looked up the tent at Cabelas for $249 new,so definitely a score.:)

We bought a Berkey water filter a few months ago with enough filters for 16,000 gallons,plus the filters can be scrubbed and reused.It a very comfortable feeling to not have to worry about clean water.I'm not familiar with the CP1,but if with pull pathogens,bacteria and viruses from the water,you should snag it.Thats a great price (compaired to the Berkey) and having safe,clean water is priceless.

That's a pressurized canister filter,it would require running water to operate and it would remove most impurities,but pathogens,bacteria and viruses would be an issue i'm afraid.Can you get the LifeStraw in the Philippines?Be a little more money but would be worth it as a personal sized water purifier.

I will also be getting a Lifestraw from my friend. He is one of the local dealers of LS here.

As to the running water, initially, I will use it to filter the water here at the condo since the tap water here isn't that safe (some particulates due to old iron piping). When I bug out to the farm, i will take it with me. There, we have an overhead tank that can provide good water pressue. The overhead tank is filled by an electric pump getting water from the deepwell, next month, I will be attaching a handpump to fill it when there is no more electricity. I would be using the solar panels (also to be installed) to provide electricity more for lighting and cooling needs in the farm.

In that case then,go for it and after filtering,just boil to sterilize and you'll be set.

Stopped at fleet farm and found a couple boxes (555) of 22lr so hubby and I bought what we could (only 1 box each allowed). Otherwise we've been processing the harvests from the garden...tomatoes, tomatillos, cucs, zucchini, bell peppers, and chili peppers dehydrated. More jalapeno jam done. Ground beef is waiting it out in the freezer...stove top in the house is iffy so we bought one on craigslist for $50 but it is outside and I'm nervous about cooking/canning outdoors!

ooohhh...I just tried an apple off one of our trees...ALMOST ready! I could (and will) start eating them now but I'm gonna hold off another week if possible for the big pick. (depends on bees/birds/beetles getting into them) Then I'll be dehydrating apples and making applesauce and apple butter!

I wouldn't mind having a garage sale but hubby doesn't want anyone coming anywhere near anything we have to scope it all out! I don't blame him. I'm not a fan of strangers gawking around at our stuff...it is bad enough that once in a while someone will leave a note on our door asking about a couple Metros sitting out in our yard...you gotta REALLY be looking to see those. They aren't sitting out in the middle of the driveway...they are off in a somewhat sheltered area.

I don't keep anything outside that might peek someone's interest. Everything is put in the shed or house. The yard looks like a city park, except all the grass is dead from no rain....lol. The shades are pulled and no one can see in the house. No one has an idea what I own or that I keep preps.

I am learning and using my dehydrator and I am making cloth copies of patterns I have bought cheap the paper they use for the pattern is like tissue paper and wont last for more than one use... and I found this site plus I added some website with good info on dehydrating to one of my pinterest.com boards.... I havent done much this week but apply for jobs... Money is short and my car bill take priority

I ended up with 5 5-gal buckets of apples (with some apples left on the tree that I couldn't reach)...picked all my peppers. tomorrow is preparing stuffed peppers for the freezer...won't last long if the power goes out but I'll eat good this winter. This week I'll be canning and/or dehydrating apples.

Chick, if you get time can you post how you can and dehydrate apples? I have canned apples for pie filling and applesauce. Not sure if what your doing is the same. I never dehydrated apples and should try that.

I ended up with 5 5-gal buckets of apples (with some apples left on the tree that I couldn't reach)...picked all my peppers. tomorrow is preparing stuffed peppers for the freezer...won't last long if the power goes out but I'll eat good this winter. This week I'll be canning and/or dehydrating apples.
I love to dehydrate apples, but yet canning could be pie filling or homemade applesauce, so many possibilities!

Sure, if I can I'll take pics and add a little description. I normally dehydrate apples in fairly large slices but they are tough to eat that way (at least that is what I think)...this year I'm going to cut the pieces a little smaller. I know I'll never replicate dehydrated apples you can buy in the store but maybe I can get a little closer. Otherwise I will can pie filling, apple sauce but I want to can just plain apples. I make so few pies throughout the year it seems such a waste to do that (although gift giving is always an option). Pumpkin pie is more my style! I make a pumpkin pie to die for (and the diabetics just might! lol) Also, tomorrow I want to throw some apples in the slow cooker to make some apple butter!

Fixing a water line this weekend, and running an additional one to the other two stalls in that stable. Also, starting on the fence to separate the front pasture into two pastures this weekend, and restoring the double stall in one stable back to two stalls.
Time permitting, I'll run an additional water line for a water trough to the other pasture (vs. the hose we are using as a temporary solution)...but that is probably next weekend's project, with all the rain lately.
By month's end, we'll be at capacity for boarder horses, which is good for the monthly income.

I love my dehydrator as well and apples are some of mine and my kids favorites to snack on.I did an experiment about a year or so ago and mylar bagged some just for a test.I purged the bag with nitrogen instead of using o2 absorbers.I opened a bag a few weeks ago and lets just say that they didn't last too long before the kiddo's wiped em out.Being an ex-HVAC contractor has it's perks as I have a couple nitrogen tanks and regulator.

Now for my week in preps-We bought a newer suv to replace my wifes work car about month or so ago but the car dealer wouldn't give us crap for trade in of her old car,so we decided to keep it and sell it on craiglist.Well,it finally sold this week and I got to walk into my gun shop and buy my dream rifle new off the shelf (for the first time ever).Picked up a new Russian AK with 5 mags,aftermarket adjustable stock and 100 rnds to hold me until my bulk order of 1000 rnds comes in.Took it out last night and I only have two words-Me likey!!

It does have the side mount for a scope bracket,but haven't decided if i'm gonna scope it or not.The iron sights are pretty accurate and I like the sleek look of it with the AR style stock.

The wife said I had to take her out to a nice dinner in exchange,so I thought that was a fair deal,lol.

only working on my tan, testing out calamari skin in various appications, and running in hot climates this week, plus testing out some tropical/subtropical wild foods.

also need to research furnace conversions a little more and exactly if the orafice is the only thing I need to switch over on my trane furnace.

William,converting a Trane furnace from natural to propane or vise versa is more than just changing the orifices.The two fuels run at different operating pressures.Natural runs at 3.5 inches of water column vs 11 inches wc with propane.

The gas control valve needs converted as well by a qualified HVAC technician that has the equipment and can set the pressure with a manometer.On a Trane,it will require a parts kit which will have the proper sized orifices and the conversion/spring kit for the gas valve,the kits will vary depending on what model you have.

Coverting one without doing it properly,not setting the valve outlet pressure or using the incorrect sized orifices can cause the furnace to not burn properly and lead to damaging the heat exchanger,sooting up,releasing of carbon monoxide or even an explosion.Pay for the service call from a reputable heating and cooling company,it could be life or death.

Also,stop rubbing squid juice on yourself and eating it raw,I am a saltwater reef aquarist and have a good deal of experience in marine biology.There are microscopic parasites,fungus' and bacterias that can be very harmful to the body,not to mention many,many species of cephalopods are toxic.Some species are harmless as cooking kills off these toxins,some can be fatal.Hope you know what exact species you are having.

I'm not sure if you are posting this stuff to get a rise out of someone or what,but truth be told,you are playing with fire.Both of your experiments,with your furnace and your squid skin lotion,have the strong potential for being fatal mistakes.

Today I finished my training partener's black belt test. Showed everyone (other grandmasters too) that I have the fighting heart. 3 bloody noses later (all on me) we got to the final free fight. They had to cut it 3/4th of the way through becuase of how bad it was getting. I tagged him a few times and he tagged me a few times. I was told afterwards that I had the heart of someone twice my experience. I got thrown 4 mats away, got up in less than a second and sprinted to him and tagged him with a massive right hook which resulted in a massive cut on his chin. Over the full hour and a half I was offered water (I don't drink durring training due to it makes me throw up) a total of 5 times. Once by a grand master :p by the end it was just that the end. We had finished a test that only a few got to see to the end. It was intense, started with 120 people in the crowd, by the end there were 20

My "thoughts and veiws" are hardly googled responses (I wouldn't waste that much of my time for you),they are based on 4 years of college and over 23 years of working in the HVAC (Heating/Ventalation/Air Conditioning) industry as a service technician and representative.

My comments were not in regards per "our" local laws,you dumbass,they were in regards to your personal safety.I told you once what needed to be done and why,but hey,you know all about,so by all means,do it your way.

By the way,Trane does not produce a gas valve with a knob to switch from nat to lp (I know this from working for Trane for 6 years),but the reason you are not finding the spring is because you have no idea of what you are doing.If you do have a knob on a Trane to switch from nat to lp,then you have a ghetto rigged valve that is not designed for use on that furnace.

The proper gas pressure settings and orifice size wasn't a suggestion and are not based on variables,they are based on absolute proper operation properties of the given fuel and those properties does not vary from state to state or even from country to country.Does propane burn different in Canada than here in the US?I didn't think so.

Just don't promote these unsafe practices on a public forum so that someone doesn't read your crazy misinformation and gets themselves hurt or killed.

Colt1911 was right,you are an ass.

Last edited:
I have no obligation to reveal any of my personal infomation to the village idiot on an anonymous public forum.And I really don't care if you believe my credentials or not.I will admit,I was a bit harsh in my response,but again,it was because of my concern for your personal safety and the safety of others that might read your crap.But hey,i'm done with ya,good luck building your personal gas chamber and enjoy your squid.

Latest posts

Back