This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got me a power loss alarm. This is more aimed towards terrorist attack, martial law etc.

I'd rather be woken buy a 120db scream then a knock on the door from Mr Military with a bus heading to the closest camp. Maybe just enough time to bug out.

Not a fail proof prep by any means, but for the price.

The purpose of the water and vinegar is to help cook down your jalapenos and while this is happening, I do stir them. Once you drain the water and vinegar, add the sugar. . . .the sugar will melt down and make a syrup.
Thanks Danil, that makes sense. I just wanted to be sure. Our jalapenos are hotter than any we've ever grown...simply slicing is leaving too much placenta making for FIERY peppers (and we are accustomed to HOT peppers like ghost pepper in our foods)

Thanks Danil, that makes sense. I just wanted to be sure. Our jalapenos are hotter than any we've ever grown...simply slicing is leaving too much placenta making for FIERY peppers (and we are accustomed to HOT peppers like ghost pepper in our foods)
I love jalapeños and th the hotter the better. I haven't seen any ghost peppers in my area. either at the grocery or the plant stores. Have had tobacco and habaneros though.

I love jalapeños and th the hotter the better. I haven't seen any ghost peppers in my area. either at the grocery or the plant stores. Have had tobacco and habaneros though.
tobasco peppers. . .not tobacco

Your need for an alarm of that sort scares me.​

Well, if it goes out in the middle of the night, could be hours without realizing it. I personally think it would be MUCH longer before folks were "rounded up".
Lucky for me, I wake up the second power goes out (because I no longer hear the fan I use for some white noise). We have small blackouts at least once a month for a few hours...especially with all the storms lately.

I'm not quite sure of your need for such a prep.

A Power Alarm is particularly good for times of disasters. In the event, Power goes out in your area when you are asleep, you can wake up and take the appropriate measures.

Chili Peppers are actually a good source of Vitamin C and aside from the fact that it stimulates blood circulation. You just have to be careful if you have an acidic stomach since these are known to aggravate them.

Just got my Go-bag, rucksack and my new 3L bladder bag. Am getting 1 more pack tomorrow and I am complete in my BOB bags.

Time to start filling them up....

Just placed an order for 1 box (12 pieces) CR123A Surefire Lithium batteries to a friend. Will pick it up on Sunday. On top of my stock of 10 pieces of CR123A Lithium Solar Force Batteries I have. Have a couple of 18650 2400mah rechargable ones and 6 800mah CR123A rechargeable ones

Just need to find some chemical light sticks...

A Power Alarm is particularly good for times of disasters. In the event, Power goes out in your area when you are asleep, you can wake up and take the appropriate measures.

Chili Peppers are actually a good source of Vitamin C and aside from the fact that it stimulates blood circulation. You just have to be careful if you have an acidic stomach since these are known to aggravate them.
Love chili peppers. . . actually most any hot peppers. These are a staple in most of my cooking, and I would definitely miss them if I didn't have them planted in the garden. It is one that you can save seeds for the next year.

Love chili peppers. . . actually most any hot peppers. These are a staple in most of my cooking, and I would definitely miss them if I didn't have them planted in the garden. It is one that you can save seeds for the next year.

I too can't live without chilli peppers. I have them practically in every meal.

The province I am from which is Ilocos Sur in the North of the Philippines, there is an Ice Cream flavor that I love, guess what flavor it is ;)?

Yep, Chili Pepper Ice Cream... So cold yet so Hot....

I too can't live without chilli peppers. I have them practically in every meal.

The province I am from which is Ilocos Sur in the North of the Philippines, there is an Ice Cream flavor that I love, guess what flavor it is ;)?

Yep, Chili Pepper Ice Cream... So cold yet so Hot....
I have never heard of Chili Pepper Ice Cream, but it sounds interesting

I have never heard of Chili Pepper Ice Cream, but it sounds interesting

It is quite a unique experience. It is cold then you feel the heat of the chilli pepper. We use the Sili Labuyo which is a strong tiny pepper.

Just got a China Repro Camelbak backpack to carry some light stuff. Needed an extra backpack for those things. The nice thing about it, it was cheap, pretty sturdy and had an allotment for strapping a sleeping mat at the bottom (something my other Tactical Backpacks seem to lack)

Tomorrow, am getting a box of Surefire Lithium CR123A Batteries (12 pieces).

Assembled 4 GHB's for the family and put them in our suv.We've had the bags for a while,but my wife and I finally tailored each one to suit every family members needs for in a "get home" situation.Also added a 5th GHB and a folding bicycle to the trunk of my wifes work car.

I canned jams and jellies this week just to see if I could. I now have 9 half pint jars of Triple Berry Jam, 8 half pint jars of Strawberry Jam, 5 pint jars of Grape Jelly and 5 pint jars of Apple jelly. I also canned 5 pints of sliced peaches rather than peach jam just because I got tired of making jams. So now we have plenty to soothe our sweet tooth. I also made 4 pints of homemade honey peanut butter, 1 pint of homemade apple juice (because it was left over after I made the jelly) and I took the seeds from 5 sunflowers - they are in salt water right now and will be roasted tonight. I also purchased a 25 lb bag of flour and a box of emergency candles. So, I need to take a couple of week's break from buying stuff.

Lets see....
I've been canning like a crazy woman! We have never had so many chilis and jalapeno peppers as this year, so I'm thrilled! Also hope to can up the last of the green beans by the first of the week. Yesterday, cleaned and organized the garden shed. Made a list of things that we are low on for the chain saw: bar oil and the gas mixture oil. Then moved on to the small shop which houses my auto preps, organized them and added a few filters, gas and hydraulic lines, and gasket material to the "must have" list.
Thats about all I could muster up the energy for this week!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Went to the grocery last night. Added some stock to my storage:
3 kilos Pasta
4 cans of Dak Ham (These things have an expiration date of Jul 2018 :cool:)
1 Can of SPAM
2 Cans of Tuna Flakes in Vegetable oil
2 Cans of Delmondo Corned Beef

Got my box of 12 Surefire CR123A Lithium Batteries

Finally got the trailer backed up between the house and garage.. I've started to lay out a plan to give it both airflow once it is covered with snow.. I plan on using snow to increase its insulation value. I've also started to get a trane furnace that is natural gas prepped for an orifice switch over... apparently you just need to buy a kit to switch it over.. with that switched over to liquid propane I'll be able to supliment the trailers lp furnace which is quite a bit older.. so in using the two. The furnace and my electrolysis projects are my two major research projects right now. The goal of the electrolysis project is to convert water into hydrogen and oxygen with surplus solar and wind generated electricity, as a type of dummy load, my other dummy load is water heating and electric heat. The second electrolysis is a method of disposal of urine by removing the hydrogen from it, and using the remaining nitrogen for chemistry and fertilization purposes, the goal is to be able to switch the furnace back over to natural gas, with a reserve of hydrogen generated with surplus energy, it is also a way of converting electrical energy into potential energy in the form of creation of combustables. ... I've also worked out a few other things.. none the less the trailer was a very little thing ... and other than this not to much has been done.

my bug out money

Attachments

• money.JPG
    money.JPG
    629.7 KB · Views: 19
my bug out money
Damn, must be nice to have that laying around! ;)
Still, it will only be worth something right as everything falls apart.
As soon as folks realize society won't be coming back soon, it won't be worth the paper it's printed on.
Still, if you can spare it, why the heck not?

I'm leaning more towards just all of the coins we have already. We've always put all of our spare change in jars and mugs around the house. And, having been military for so many years, we have a lot of foreign coins, too. That's an interesting idea - especially if we are invaded after Obama attacks Syria.

Latest posts

Back