This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that you need to keep the supply up. On the other side its good to keep rotating your stock so you don't have bad old stock when you need it the most. You need to come up with a plan that allows items to be used and stocked. Does she make a shopping list? If she does the item goes on the list and replaced. Its what we do, no matter if its batteries, food, etc...

Unfortunately, she did not put it on her list. I wouldn't mind if there was rotation of stock.

This is our rotation routine:
For food, we rotate the stocks by the year. 2013, 2014, 2015, etc.
For Water, we rotate everytime we get new stocks but we add one 5-gallon to the stock. We go through a 5-gallon container every 3 days.
For other essentials (like batteries), every two years

She knows this and she should have replaced those batteries. She sometimes has her moods

Today I created some MRE like kits that you need to have hot water for. I made them like this: noddles (package) cup o soup (individual packs) saltines (individual) hot chocolate (individual pack) electrolyte powder (large container, need to find something to put them in for individual packs) peanuts (large container, same like before). Next up for today is to make a few breakfast ones, like before but swapping the noddles and the cup o soup for oatmeal. Total I have 10 done, want to get 5 morning ones done today. Also I'll be going to the store today and get some more electrolyte powder (they only had the one flavour)

Mrs Trapper and I made a quick stop at the grocery store on our way home today. Found several good deals and were not even looking for them. A name brand spaghetti sauce was on sale for less than half cost. I pointed it out to the Mrs., the first thing she said, "That's a great deal, I will stop in every night after work and pick up the 4 jar limit. I will try to get at least 20 jars on the shelf by the end of the week". I chuckled and agreed after looking at the expiration dates on the jars. Nice to know I don't have to fight to get things in the storage room!! We walked out with 4 jars and the other deals be did not expect. BTW, ice cream was buy one gallon, get one free. Yep, stocked up on those also......!

Found a steal on craigs on an 870 20g youth for my boy in awesome shape.The Mrs. managed to add about $50 more (metal) canned food to our stock and i've been harvesting beans,peppers,cucumbers,zuc's and a few tomatoes from the garden.Canning time and salsa coming very soon!

Mrs Sharkbait has already made some zuc bread and now i'm just patiently waiting for more (the first loaves went too fast,lol).

And Danil54grl,I cut your recipe in half and made a batch.Great stuff!A box of Ritz,some cream and pimento cheese and I made a complete pig of myself,lol.Thanks again for the new addition to our cookbook!

I have gotten started on a Get Home Bag. Especially important since I live in earthquake country, and my studio and son are 13 miles away.

Setting up utility pouches for us. Mine is attached to my right thigh. My wife's a belt bag. These are for immediate items instead of these items being inside the bug out bag.

Just a re-alignment of contents.

I expanded on my food in my BOB. I have enough food for me and my bro for 3 days. (It isn't even that heavy :p) next up on my list of things to do is practice more of my archery and to work on my dart throwing (aim). Been working with them for martial arts. Accuracy up to 15 yards. Bow is good up to 20-30 meters

I personally haven't had the same EXACT problem but have gotten some of the oils under fingernails...that burns forever! To top it off, we don't grow ONLY the tame jalapenos...we grow the HOT ones...ghost, scorpion, etc. Those are 200+ times hotter than jalapenos.

Danil, how many quarts does your recipe make? I have an overabundance of jalapenos to do something with...I can only make/eat so many stuffed jalapenos each night!

today, put strawberries and mushrooms into the dehydrator...tomorrow I'll do more.
It makes about 7 half pints. . .sorry girl, but no quarts. I usually make it in the pint sized jars, but have used most of those for other things, so left with the 1/2 pint jars. If I use the pint sized I will double the recipe.

I have dehydrated strawberries, but never mushrooms. Do they rehydrate ok?

Oh and btw. . I love that you planted hotter peppers. I know it says jalapenos in the recipe, but I have been using habaneros too, but I haven't seen any ghost peppers or seeds for sale around here. I would LOVE to add those to the garden.

I also have a great salsa recipe that is not too vinegary tasting if you would like. . . just to use up your peppers.

Just last night, I found out my wife has been filching AA batteries from my stock. I did an inventory and talked to her about it. Kinda had a discussion coz she said she needed batteries immediately then I found out it was for the kid's toys. Am down to half my stock of AA batteries. Had 100 pairs. Now am down to 50 pairs.

She does support me in my prepping but sometimes, she forgets and if she doesn't want to go to the store, she gets it from the stock.

Am doing an inventory now.
Best thing to do is write down what you take out of the stock pile. . . I know what it is like. I am down to one canister of coffee right now. . . and back in Dec of last year, I had 12. Maybe we need to cut down our coffee intake, but I don't think so.

Taught myself how to make homemade butter and then I made my first cheese. . Paneer! I was stoked! I "helped" make butter about 35 years ago, with a cousins other grandparents. I guess it stuck. And since cheese is a passion of mine had to make my first batch of Paneer. Honestly it is tasteless, but now I know what it is, so next time I will enhance the flavor.

Taught myself how to make homemade butter and then I made my first cheese. . Paneer! I was stoked! I "helped" make butter about 35 years ago, with a cousins other grandparents. I guess it stuck. And since cheese is a passion of mine had to make my first batch of Paneer. Honestly it is tasteless, but now I know what it is, so next time I will enhance the flavor.
oooohhhh....homemade butter...that sounds awesome...and I AM gonna make homemade cheese some day...I just gotta spend a couple of hours in the house! I have read many times about making paneer...how would you enhance the flavor ? herbs or ????

oooohhhh....homemade butter...that sounds awesome...and I AM gonna make homemade cheese some day...I just gotta spend a couple of hours in the house! I have read many times about making paneer...how would you enhance the flavor ? herbs or ????
honestly I would defiantly add some herbs. Paneer is very bland. With some added extras, it would be worth it. It is very simple to make, except I stirred about an hour and fifteen minute before it came to a boil.

The Italians pan fry it in olive oil until it is browned and then add in spinach, butter, cumin seeds, garlic, coriander, chili powder, cream and salt

Best thing to do is write down what you take out of the stock pile. . . I know what it is like. I am down to one canister of coffee right now. . . and back in Dec of last year, I had 12. Maybe we need to cut down our coffee intake, but I don't think so.

That's the reason why I have coffee trees in my BOL, so I don't run out of coffee :)

Ok, I have to give an update for how much spaghetti sauce we got this week.....Finally tally of new jars 31!! Most have expiration dates late into 2015. The sale ended and Mrs Trapper out did herself again. Now if I could only buy more 22lr like that..........!

Started increasing my stockpile on Pasta. Although it is more expensive than rice, it is very flexible also in terms of cooking. So far, I have about 15kg of spaghetti, 5kg of macaroni.

Okay, so I just got back from a medieval re-creationist camping trip that lasted two weeks (Pennsic). Learned a few skills that could be useful to prepping.
I now know how to properly make a quill pen. Could be useful if you find yourself in a situation where you need to leave a note and have no ink pen or something. I also learned how to make a pretty sturdy rope out of braiding plastic grocery store bags. I also learned how to bake bread in a dutch oven and a neat trick on how to use dryer lint as fire starter. I also lost 30lbs walking around at said event which is a good prep in that I'm in better shape to kick butt. :)
Other than that, I think most of what else I learned doesn't really apply to prepping though I did learn that I was VERY prepared considering this was my first Pennsic. I went without taking cold food and packed enough that I could pitch in quite a bit in shared meals and still had plenty left over for myself. I was actually over-prepared because I brought my own cooking stuff and there was a camp kitchen already. My shower bag came in handy too because the hot water system crapped out early in the first week. It also proved to me that I could stand living outdoors and without modern comforts for such a long stent. In fact, I liked it better. If it weren't for winter, I'd live in a pavilion.

Didn't prep much the past two days. Been watching the FIBA games.... Darn, and some people thought that Preppers didn't know how to enjoy...

PS: Watched the games with an ice cold San Miguel Pale Pilsen Beer... :D

The garden canning has finally stopped for now.Ended up with 77 quarts,22 pints and 20 half pints of canned veggies,soups,stews and salsa.Seemed like most everything took off all at once this year,so I had to kick in the afterburners to get er done,but my efforts paid off well.Now I am just enjoying the fresh sweetcorn and tomatoes that I didn't can along with cantaloupe,watermelon and my personal fav,honeydew. Now i'm just tired of cooking and canning,think i'm gonna order pizza for the next couple days,maybe sit back and watch Sharknado,lol.

This week I added 25 lbs of rice, 4 large bags of dried beans, 8 cans of tuna, 5 of chicken and 4 of salmon to my stockpile, ordered a new crossbow. Still trying to find the answer to how best to make yeast last. Mr. W and I are both a little out of shape and we started riding bicycles twice a day for low impact exercise and did that all but one day this past week. He is not as motivated to prep as I am and it's tough to keep quiet instead of constantly telling him what we need to do. I showed him the link for how to drill your own well but he doesn't want to try it out. Keep good thoughts that he'll figure out that he's got to keep up with me or be "left behind."

Last week was NOTHING for me except honing my shooting skills. I'll not be leaving survivers if they come within 400yds of me!

The garden went crazy while we were gone...tonight/tomorrow is tomato canning time.

Thats what my garden did,everything came on at once this year,last week was a canning nightmare!lol

Last week was NOTHING for me except honing my shooting skills. I'll not be leaving survivers if they come within 400yds of me!

The garden went crazy while we were gone...tonight/tomorrow is tomato canning time.

Your tomatoes are further along than mine. Just picked the first 3 ripe one yesterday. No more even close. If all the little green balls make it we will have a bumper crop of 'matoes in a couple weeks. Squash is also looking good.

Your tomatoes are further along than mine. Just picked the first 3 ripe one yesterday. No more even close. If all the little green balls make it we will have a bumper crop of 'matoes in a couple weeks. Squash is also looking good.
No need to wait, fried green tomatoes are awsome!

No need to wait, fried green tomatoes are awsome!
I've never tried fried green tomatoes...Maybe when the season comes to a close if there are any left over not ripe I'll give it a try.

Trapper, I started my plants EARLY in the basement...some of my plants were 2-3 feet tall by the time the weather warmed up enough to plant outside! I definitely didn't plan on the LATE spring.

Cant say I have ever had fried green tomatoes either. No desire to!!
Chick, we started heirloom tomatoes from seeds this year but they did not do so well. None survived when we moved the pots outside. We bought plants also and those went great. The weather reports shows a heat wave moving in next weekend. I guess that will get the red popping and the work canning started.

We have a green house to put our plants in before they go out in the harsh sun! Next weekend (not this weekend) would be ideal for a heat wave...we want to hit the state fair

We hit it EARLY and stay until noon (or 2pm depending on how fast we walk!)...I do crowds fine...I don't have to talk to any of the people and I don't know any of them so I'm safe. I do like to people watch...part of the draw to going to Sturgis...people watching at its finest

Latest posts

Back