This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am deployed at two client sites and attending to a third client who is a personal client of mine, haven't been able to attend to my prepping much. But dug up some of my old Balisong knives yesterday...

pretty boring stuff....got a few more canned goods.
Worked on trimming trees which was a lot harder that I thought...I figured 3 hrs would be enough to get most of it done, but was majorly wrong!
Mainly waiting for my tomatoes to ripen!!! :) CANT WAIT!!

Ordered a new Glock 40sw back in April. It finally arrived today. I replaced one I had for 10 years that I carried ALOT. Makes me feel good it finally is here. Working on brass now to sell a bunch off. Taking the brass profits to order bullets to reload. I put my reloading into high gear over the past few months to finally get this area stocked up. I have been reloading for 24 years and its about time I get this done.

Today I started to research raised bed gardening through cinderblocks. I also started to also research making a bunker from cinderblocks. I also got another person on the forums (brett) and we started to plan somethings out. I'm also looking into long term servival of a larger group and starting to work on a new plan for things

Not much, just added to my stock:
16 Liters of Filtered Water (bring my current water ration to about slightly more than 2 weeks)
3Kg of Pasta
2 Cans of Spam
6 (175g) Cans of Sardines, Mackerel
A Pack of #5 Candles
4 rolls of 1000 pull toilet paper

Am trying to find a cabinet I can clear out to put more stocks that's why am doing a slow build-up.

Cleared out an area of our window plot of an ornamental plot and will begin planting there also.

Loaded up on canned foods at the grocery store....added a few other choice items to my supplies.
I have started making a BOB for my 1 year old niece--need a few more things got a few cans of baby food/other baby friendly food in there that will keep for a long time. I plan on getting with my next paycheck 2-3 cloth diapers, a thick baby blanket will go in there. I think i will also add in several pairs of warm socks and gloves plus a hat...a good blanket would keep her warm, but got to be careful about fingers/toes/ears/ect esp with the little ones.
I mainly worked on the barn this weekend...I think I figured a way to have extra hidden storage in there. It wont be temperature controlled, but its a good place for several choice items :)

All I've done this week is work on clearing my fallen tree, and cutting it up into firewood. But, if a situation happened, it's the world's oldest fuel, and I'll have plenty.
Still have quite a bit more to go on getting it all cut though....big tree.

My wife finally let me have the credit card back,lol,so I ordered some much needed new cold weather gear (coats,thermal socks,thermals and new boots for all),two sets of replacement filters for our Berkey filter and got 4 more jugs of kerosene filled.

gazrok,that reminds me.i need to work my chain saw.i started it up the other day.and it acted like the brake is on when it's really not..

sharkbait..you might want to be carefull with that card..or you might end up in the shark house instead of the dog house..and that could mean double trouble for you..lol

gazrok,that reminds me.i need to work my chain saw.i started it up the other day.and it acted like the brake is on when it's really not..

sharkbait..you might want to be carefull with that card..or you might end up in the shark house instead of the dog house..and that could mean double trouble for you..lol

Haha,don't fret Jim,all purchases must be pre-approved by the "Boss" before I ever order anything.If I was in charge,there probably would have been a lot more gadgets and toys on that list,lol.

i started it up the other day.and it acted like the brake is on when it's really not..

Still a problem? If so, what type do you have? I had to troubleshoot mine before getting it going. Chainsaws are the most finicky tools I've ever messed with. You'd think after all these years, they'd come up with better ways than yanking that damn pull cord.

it turned out that the chain wasnt quiet on the bar quiet right.and it was a lil bit to tight..and i used it to tri some branchs back today

Just buying from a friend some new stuff:
1) US Army Rucksack
2) 3L Hydration Bag with a 3L Bladder

Am also getting a secondhand China-Repro Go-Bag (it was worth about $5 along with some other stuff, who am i to complain)

i still need a 2nd bag my self...but i gotta wait till next payday thoe..it'll be my b.o.b...and the one i have now will be my bhb..

Going to two different geek conventions this month, so most on hold until next month, hehe. Will be fun though, as I'll get to meet some folks from Game Of Thrones, Walking Dead, True Blood, Star Trek, and other shows, etc.
Always a good time. We're a pretty geeky family.

Gazrok, you are bound to find some preppers in an event like that. I met some preppers locally around last year in a COSPLAY event. They were people dressed like Call of Duty characters talking about "end-of-the-world" stuff, I "accidentally" bumped into them then they started preaching about it. To their suprise, I mentioned about my being a "newbie" (just to make them feel special) and they discussed with me a lot of their preparations.

Found a nice pair of binoculars on a thrift sale for $5. Bushnell Permafocus 7x35. I have another pair of these and like them for what they are. They are clear. Figured a 2nd pair would not hurt at that price.
Picked up 50 lb bag of navy beans. Broke it down into ice cream pails and have it in the freezer to kill off any critters. That is 7 more gallons being stored.

Nice idea to kill critters Trapper.

Gazrok, you are bound to find some preppers in an event like that

Possibly. Probably more preppers in the geek crowd than others.

I'll have to post the family pics, hehe. We're all going as Batman villains.
Me = Two-Face
Wife = Catwoman
Daughter = Harley Quinn
Son = Joker
Ranch Hand = Poison Ivy

12 more gallons of purchased water (not mentioning the individual 20oz bottles...they get rotated fairly fast). More green beans ready for putting up tomorrow (after the state fair!)

Just talked with my friend, he will be delivering the Hydration bladder and backpacks/go-bags tomorrow. Will have to repack my BOBs.

Rearranged my butane storage, gave it more ventilation so the cans don't get heated up

Today I got more food, 2 cans of heat up speegetti O's, 1 squeeze bottle of caffine syrup you add to water, 2 cans of hearty beef and veggies and 3 pack of my comfort food (remain nooddles) I am also starting to put together a list of food that my group should have and what we should get. I also went to my BOL 3 times in the last week and brought along my group partener to show him how to get there, which way to go and the area around it. Next up (when it stops raining) is to go back and to explore the forested part of the BOL and look for a hidden spot to grow plants.

More green bean canning: 12 pints, 4 pint and half, and 4 quarts. The bean plants are still producing so I'll be dehydrating some next.

Lucky you,my garden has pretty much tapered off now except for corn,melons and pumpkins.But we also enjoyed alot of it that could have been canned,but dang it,it's hard to resist fresh ripe homegrown goodies.The garden done well,but could have done better,we just had a ton of rain this year (too much) and much cooler temps than normal,so I can't complain.

As for my preps this week,other than the daily chores,i've taken it easy this week.

Candied Jalapenos

Serve this over cream cheese, with cracker, add to burgers, or pimento cheese

4 lbs fresh jalapeno, sliced

2 lbs onion, diced

1/2 cup vinegar

1/2 cup water

6-8 cups sugar

2 tablespoons mustard seeds

1 teaspoon turmeric

2 teaspoons celery seeds

1 fresh garlic clove (1 per jar)

1 teaspoon ginger

Slice jalapenos into thin slices and dice onions (I would suggest a pair of rubber gloves for handling jalapenos, personal experience, do not touch your face!). Place in pan with water and vinegar, bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer about 2 min. (do not breath fumes) . Pour off most of the water vinegar mixture, add the sugar and spices bring to soft candy temperature to completely dissolve sugar about another 10 minute Place boiling mixture into jars, leaving 1/4 in head space. Adjust caps.

Water bath 5 minutes to insure a good seal.

*note: if you like the peppers a little crisp, boil mixture and add peppers at the end
Danil, how does that work? 4lbs of jalapenos and 2lbs of onion is a LOT of stuff (LOT)...how does that work with only 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar?

Nice idea to kill critters Trapper.

Possibly. Probably more preppers in the geek crowd than others.

I'll have to post the family pics, hehe. We're all going as Batman villains.
Me = Two-Face
Wife = Catwoman
Daughter = Harley Quinn
Son = Joker
Ranch Hand = Poison Ivy

Here's the pics.
First day, we did the above. Next day, medieval garb.

1013280_10201288081916724_318543667_n.jpg
1185639_10201298654541033_2084038780_n.jpg

Danil, how does that work? 4lbs of jalapenos and 2lbs of onion is a LOT of stuff (LOT)...how does that work with only 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of vinegar?
The purpose of the water and vinegar is to help cook down your jalapenos and while this is happening, I do stir them. Once you drain the water and vinegar, add the sugar. . . .the sugar will melt down and make a syrup.

Latest posts

Back