This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you find that a 12 gauge kicks too much, don't be afraid to go to a 20 gauge, it gets the job done as well and you can use slugs as well as shells with it too. Don't forget, if you feel like you are over-reaching, try a youth model.

My wife has a Remy 870 20 ga and I have one too. My was the first gun I bought when I was 14. Its in mint condition. We shoot them the most at the clay range. I can shoot it as well as any 12 ga. Nice not to have the heavy recoil at the end of the session. Its definitely an over looked. They were much more popular years ago.

Just picked a few things up..

Few small syringes, saline sollution, super glue, rechargeable AA batteries and three 9 LED touches . These were marked down to $2ea. I left the batteries out so should last.

Attachments

• 20130713_121118.jpg
    20130713_121118.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
We have a friend, ex-marine, that has just patented this clamp sorta thing that clamps to the barrel of a gun (can get it for any firearm) and it effectively reduces the "kick" by about 60%. It is seriously amazing!! He is now working round the clock in his machine shop as he is covered up with orders! I will get ya'll his website.

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Hit up a few markets and discount grocery stores and grabbed some bargins. I picked up an top quality hiking backpack for $5, a book on home renovations, a hand beater, some medical and canned goods all dirt cheap! Plus I got to the gym 6 times this week to get into better shape.

Hit up a few markets and discount grocery stores and grabbed some bargins. I picked up an top quality hiking backpack for $5, a book on home renovations, a hand beater, some medical and canned goods all dirt cheap! Plus I got to the gym 6 times this week to get into better shape.

Personal workouts I believe is one of the best preps a person can make. It strengthens the body and the mind!

If you find that a 12 gauge kicks too much, don't be afraid to go to a 20 gauge, it gets the job done as well and you can use slugs as well as shells with it too. Don't forget, if you feel like you are over-reaching, try a youth model.
Thanks for the advice! This one's a 16 gauge. I didn't get the chance to try yet because my buddy went drinking the night before and hand a hang-over the next day (darn him!) but we are planning another day probably this week. We have slugs and shells to shoot with it.

Today I started to build a BOB for my brother (he is not a prepper). So far I have some of him favourite foods, sleeping bag, spare blanket, rain gear and a few ways to start a fire (lighter, matches and magnesium block and striker) Goal for next week is to add more gear to his bag and add some more communal things (stove and cooking gear) into my bag.

Well, been pretty productive so far this week even though it just started. Yesterday I finally took the time and parts and put together a tumbler for cleaning brass for reloading. All I can say what a difference. The brass is so clean and shiny it looks better than brand new. I have a vibrating brass cleaner that is over a decade old. Even with new media it takes a lot longer than it should to do half the job the new tumbler does. I tumbler for 2 hours, rinse the brass, put it on a towel in the sun to dry. By the time the next load is ready to come out of the tumbler the previous load is dry and ready for storage.

Me and the Mrs are off today. We are going through our storage room. Cleaning, organizing, rotating food and getting rid of stuff. Amazing how much room we created just by reorganizing everything. Got all the empty canning jars put together and labeled ready for use in late summer & fall.

One thing we did find.....I had been storing rice in empty and cleaned apple juice bottles. Even with the screw on lids I found critters in the rice. Not many but enough we are going to clean it out and start over. EVERYTHING goes into mylar bags and buckets from now on!
At least the rice is not a total loss. I wanted to make some new shooting rest bags. Rice works great for a bag filler. The rice is being recycled for a good purpose!

Me and the Mrs are off today. We are going through our storage room. Cleaning, organizing, rotating food and getting rid of stuff. Amazing how much room we created just by reorganizing everything. Got all the empty canning jars put together and labeled ready for use in late summer & fall.

One thing we did find.....I had been storing rice in empty and cleaned apple juice bottles. Even with the screw on lids I found critters in the rice. Not many but enough we are going to clean it out and start over. EVERYTHING goes into mylar bags and buckets from now on!
At least the rice is not a total loss. I wanted to make some new shooting rest bags. Rice works great for a bag filler. The rice is being recycled for a good purpose!
Awesome idea...we will be sighting in our guns again this weekend and I have a bag of rice that is bad...rather than toss it I'll use it as a shooting rest bag! You can try freezing your rice before packaging it up...just like flour, freezing kills the unwanted critters.

I think there must have been eggs in the rice and they were too small to see. They hatched in the bottles after getting them stored.
Chick, I use an old piece of denim from a pants legs to make mine. Sew an end shut pour in the rice and sew shut. You can make several bags from one pair of britches.

that glow stick alarm looks intresting enough to at least try it out to see if it works or not..even if it's located in a tempary spot for the try out

Ok, that glow stick alarm it interesting! Never seen anything like that before. The only concern is how far can it be seen. Also the snap of the trap may be telling to who ever tripped it. They may see the light come on before you do and take it down. Other than those things I think its pretty cool idea!!

On second thought it maybe what is needed to see where the kids are. Put them in the woods, they see the glow light and get their fingers caught in the trap. No only would you see the light go on but it would be audible as well when you here the scream! LOL

Thanks Jim
I figured even if i dont end up using them...glow sticks would come in handy....even the rat trap would be useful probably for several different things if I thought about different uses for them
Honestly I should probably have all theses items stored up anyway....i do wonder though if they work as an alarm...or if it would just end up being a wasted glow stick

Thanks Trapper...I have been looking into home security stuff for a little while now...while we do intend to move in the future for a better spot. The little farm we are at now is at a very bad spot strategically. can be seen by a somewhat busy road, really no good places for a decent look out.
Just was looking for anything that might be helpful in my current situation. I also wanted something that I can reuse the parts of-i think its important to be able to reuse parts....the glow stick would be wasted but the rat trap would def be useful.

no i dont think it'd be a waste on acount you'd be learning some thing..now lets say that set-up does work when done up right.of course the trap n glow stick has to be where you can see it from a house window,or where ever.and at same time the intruder might not or will not see it when it lights up...ok trapper,what kind of mean stunts u been pulling on them kids of yours? loll i can picture it now.a loud scream.then a very loud DAD!!! you did it...lol

I have thought about getting a driveway alarm. It is wireless. There is a transmitter that goes to the driveway. It chimes in the house when the field in front of the transmitter is entered. The only problem I see for my place is how often will I have to get up at night to check on the deer walking around. They are not overly expensive either.

im thinking along the lines of getting solar lights to set up out side the garage back and front doors..the ones im thinking about getting has motion detectors.and just like the driveway set up they'll some one when wildlife comes into range.

Great Ideas guys....definitely big things I will be looking into for when we move (if we can before SHTF) we have motion detector lights on the garage now...but hey go off ever single time one of the barn cats try to get in there. I am not sure if that would cause a problem with giving away our position or not. I have also looked into the driveway motion detectors - I found a unit at TSC (Tractor Supply-its a farming type store where i get everything for my horses) I think the brand was Might Mule/Heavy Mule something like that....cost between $100-150 not bad, but they are only meant to go off for vehicles...not people on foot I dont want someone to be able to just walk up to my front door. I still havent made a decision yet ...I will def look into more of these options thanks guys

might look into some that has a on/off switch..that way you can have them not come on when you think/know when its best for them not to

p.s.
your very welcome

Trapper,this sounds much like my productivity this week.Mrs.Sharkbait and I cleaned out a coat closet that was everything but a coat closet (would remind you of the old cartoons,when they open the door and everything comes falling out,lol).We went through our storage pantry as well and moved a bunch into the coat closet which freed up a ton of space in the pantry.Much better and much more organised now.Amazing the amount of clutter and useless junk you accumulate over the years.

I don't tend to show too many pics of my preps online,but i'm rather proud of this job.First two pics are of the closet now,can't believe we fit 26 six gallon buckets in there (old house/9ft ceilings) and still had room for shelves for canned and freeze dried foods.

The last two pics are my next project for this week.My my first aid cabinet has started over flowing and there are items that don't belong in there,plus I have 2 rubbermaid totes full of first aid/medical supplies as well.I have two large tackle boxes that i'm going to run through the dishwasher to sterilize to make a couple kits up with.Hopefully,that and getting the stuff that don't belong out will help get this mess better organized,lol.

DSCF2062.JPG
DSCF2064.JPG

DSCF2065.JPG
DSCF2067.JPG

the first aid cabnet looks like the one my mom has.but she uses it for office supplys ad other stuff in it..that one you have..is it on wheels? i think my moms is,but not sure..great job with the food pantry

This is going to sound odd, but an inexpensive alarm system can be roosters. Those little boogers sing out anytime day or night if something comes into the area. Have a few yard roosters and guineas, you'll always know when something's come around.

the first aid cabnet looks like the one my mom has.but she uses it for office supplys ad other stuff in it..that one you have..is it on wheels? i think my moms is,but not sure..great job with the food pantry

Nah,it's just one of those Sauder type of book shelves with doors on it and a latch lock to keep my 3yr old out.About 3ft wide by 6ft tall.I'm still gonna keep it a medical cabinet but just give it a royal overhaul,get the stuff that don't belong out and make up a couple "carry" kits with the tackle boxes.

Latest posts

Back