This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm crow bar generally works pretty good for me, but then again, I am a dyed in the wool hillbilly. :D
Hillbilly Heaven!
Personally, I'm partial to a drill....my mother-in-law made the mistake once of locking the door to my house when we were away. We returned and couldn't get into our own home. (I refuse to live where I have to lock the doors, thus we have no keys!) Pissed me off sooooo bad I drilled out every lock on the house and barn!!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Lock pick set just arrived in the mail. Not to bad for the price. Some of the kits i looked at were in the hundreds of $$. I didnt want to spend that much.

I also read that if i am caught with this outside my residents i can be charge by the police with intent to break and enter/steal???

Better be careful if that's the case.

1017418_412717942174913_662996306_n.jpg

I never really have understood lock picks for SHTF, imo a rock or leg would probably deal with most emergency locks. can someone better explain how these things are used for SHTF and why they keep cropping up?

I never purchased this as a SHTF tool. I just think its a handy tool to have, and if you can use it even better. For the room it takes up...why not? I have simply put it in my camper toolbox.
  • What if you want to re-use a lock in a different location? ie unlock one gate, but lock another.
  • You can pick up locks along your travels and use them else where for your own purpose. Obv, you would only use on places you need to stay locked, and not general entry/exit points.
  • Post SHTF, if you need to gain access for supplies/ammo/meds etc but can not afford to make any noise?
Im sure if you think outside the square, there may be many, many more uses for them.

I havn't really done too much.. a little more winter prep...

I just found this cool website though some of the pages are more of interst to me
http://fires.globalincidentmap.com/
http://outbreaks.globalincidentmap.com/home.php
http://hazmat.globalincidentmap.com/map.php
http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/

this one isn't of great interst http://drugs.globalincidentmap.com/ but I was suprised to read about a 1 billion yes billion dollar drug bust.. that is like all the aid for egypt for a year...

now this is some of my baby preps this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_s5I13hkQM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVA-FHd6YUI

I never purchased this as a SHTF tool. I just think its a handy tool to have, and if you can use it even better. For the room it takes up...why not? I have simply put it in my camper toolbox.
  • What if you want to re-use a lock in a different location? ie unlock one gate, but lock another.
  • You can pick up locks along your travels and use them else where for your own purpose. Obv, you would only use on places you need to stay locked, and not general entry/exit points.
  • Post SHTF, if you need to gain access for supplies/ammo/meds etc but can not afford to make any noise?
Im sure if you think outside the square, there may be many, many more uses for them.

I understand what you are saying. I don't understand the locking stuff thing though... anything I need should be on me. Locks don't prevent access.

hightech locks do but you won't get through those with picks.

but yes they are cool for sure..

locks can be part of a security system... sure avoiding making noise can be good... I was considering getting a lock gun after my keys were stolen along with a bunch of my other stuff in mexico..

I think it is probably better suited for urban prep,,.. but I don't really consider myself a lurker/creeper..

have you tried them yet? are they easy to work with?

I understand what you are saying. I don't understand the locking stuff thing though... anything I need should be on me. Locks don't prevent access.

hightech locks do but you won't get through those with picks.

but yes they are cool for sure..

locks can be part of a security system... sure avoiding making noise can be good... I was considering getting a lock gun after my keys were stolen along with a bunch of my other stuff in mexico..

I think it is probably better suited for urban prep,,.. but I don't really consider myself a lurker/creeper..

have you tried them yet? are they easy to work with?

Easy to use, at first nope. but getting easier the more i use it.

Im not really a creeper/lurker either, but in the interest of survival...if i have to be, i will.

Its not a fool proof prep, its something extra to carry, its something that may never be used. For the cost, and room it takes up it does not worry me having it.

Im not really a creeper/lurker either, but in the interest of survival...if i have to be, i will.

Its not a fool proof prep, its something extra to carry, its something that may never be used. For the cost, and room it takes up it does not worry me having it.
have you looked into the bump key stuff at all?

Bump keys are unreliable at best and a felony to be caught with since they are specifically listed as a "thieves tool". Used them in the past and found it easier to just kick in the door!! lol!! Plus you have to have the exact right key for the lock and that's pretty random as well. Lock pick are way more reliable and take less room And work on all different styles of lock including tube locks.

Also think post SHTF what if I have to get into a locked gas cap. Drilling could make sparks so would bashing in the cap so pick the lock and all is well. This is if no one is the owner of said locked gas cap or they are deceased and won't mind. P.S. HVP check these out for a lock pick set. They work great!!

http://www.idealcreations.net/ls09.htm

Bump keys are unreliable at best and a felony to be caught with since they are specifically listed as a "thieves tool". Used them in the past and found it easier to just kick in the door!! lol!! Plus you have to have the exact right key for the lock and that's pretty random as well. Lock pick are way more reliable and take less room And work on all different styles of lock including tube locks.

wow so lock picks arn't illegal but bump keys are?

just looked into and it appears, since you need to train to use lock picks they arn't a security risk while bump keys can be used by anyone with no skill so they are?

is this right?

In Canada it seems you just need to proove you weren't going to do anything illegal with them.. I could be wrong though.

I can't seem to find any laws on Bump keys in the US and how the law differs fro lock picks?

wow so lock picks arn't illegal but bump keys are?

just looked into and it appears, since you need to train to use lock picks they arn't a security risk while bump keys can be used by anyone with no skill so they are?

is this right?

In Canada it seems you just need to proove you weren't going to do anything illegal with them.. I could be wrong though.

I can't seem to find any laws on Bump keys in the US and how the law differs fro lock picks?

I couldnt find anything that states either were illegal here in Aus. I did read prior to purchasing the kit that IF i was caught, outside my premises with it, i COULD be charged with intent.

not much of a prep but I've been collecting catkins... and my first seed crop for the the year is starting to get to size.
I'm also testing my communications plan a bit more...with some more testing.

I'm currently developing antenna positioning for VHF/UHF communications, and the amount of coverage that amounts at different wattages.

another little thing is caching backup fuses for my 120 to 12v converter.

This week I've started to get more involved in the prepper world. Also I've started to look for a retreat location for when I get back to Canada

This week have made 2 canners of jalapeno relish, 1 of dilly green beans, 1 of carrots with honey, and 2 more of salsa. I have also dried some apples. These are a dwarf type that were from Israeli and adapted for the heat we have in down south. It makes a great pie! These apples are like a Bartlett pear, for the ones who know that one, which is a cooking pear. Also drying some Crowder beans (I don't like them too much, but hubby does and momma likes to make her man happy)!

Just keep practicing, it may come in handy one day. If it doesn't take up much room in your BOB then have at it. I think it may help you in the long run. Good luck in learning your new "hobby". . .:)

Got a first aid kit thrown together and found a very reasonably priced shotgun that my hubby and friend are going to teach me to use tomorrow. My friend is also going to let me try out his selection of guns so I can get a feel of what I want to get in the future.

Some states in the US have laws that says if your not a license locksmith they would be considered burglars tools and you can be charged. All depends where you live. Being your from Australia you may want to check into that.

Note to self:
Buy cheap business cards for my wallet with my name and "Bravery's Most Excellent Locksmithing and Stuff Company" in large bold type with Magic Jack phone number and voicemail set to answer "Thanks for Calling Bravery's Most Excellent Locksmithing and Stuff Company, your call is important to us but..."

Note to self:
Buy cheap business cards for my wallet with my name and "Bravery's Most Excellent Locksmithing and Stuff Company" in large bold type with Magic Jack phone number and voicemail set to answer "Thanks for Calling Bravery's Most Excellent Locksmithing and Stuff Company, your call is important to us but..."
You can print your own business cards...just stop at the local office depot/max and buy some sheets of business cards...a little magic on the computer and tada! Official! :)

Got a first aid kit thrown together and found a very reasonably priced shotgun that my hubby and friend are going to teach me to use tomorrow. My friend is also going to let me try out his selection of guns so I can get a feel of what I want to get in the future.

If you find that a 12 gauge kicks too much, don't be afraid to go to a 20 gauge, it gets the job done as well and you can use slugs as well as shells with it too. Don't forget, if you feel like you are over-reaching, try a youth model.

If you find that a 12 gauge kicks too much, don't be afraid to go to a 20 gauge, it gets the job done as well and you can use slugs as well as shells with it too. Don't forget, if you feel like you are over-reaching, try a youth model.
I was always a MUCH better shot with the 20ga than the 12ga. The 12ga would kick me too much and I'd get to flinching as I pulled the trigger. That is a bad habit! So, I'd shoot the 20ga in the 12ga competitions and do sooooo much better...you wouldn't know by my scores I was shooting a smaller gun...and like Anorak said, you can still use slugs and deliver a mighty punch that way...the benefit to using shells is the bigger pattern...you don't have to be dead on...you can just be mostly on!

Latest posts

Back