This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays prep I felt incredibly stupid .. I got a 3L hydration bag for my camelbak. For $7 it feels way overpriced though but I've held off nearly a year on getting one, which have been thinking about getting for oh 7 years now.

Need to get me some of those. Miss em from the Marines.
did you get a chance to wear the nomex jump suits? You know like the flight suits or mechanic suits?
I'm thinkin about getting a pair just wondering if they were any good, or if you think they'd work as a layer for a cold weather climate and if so what layer?

--- Also picked up a nomex CVC balclava today, since I think it is primarily used for heat resistance, not sure if it will work in my cold weather setup.. but I had to replace my balaclava that was stolen so I figure I'd try the nomex CVC bala, may still need to add another layer or two will need to do mroe reading. And I'm still looking into if I should go for multiple layers for the hands in USGI style or if there is another system out there that is both economical and meets the temeperature threshold I'm looking to meet at -40c.

I'm geussing you were recon due to your name so I'm geussing if you were deployed you probably did get to wear the nomex suits.. any info on how they performed is welcome.

I hated those nomex suits, had them when I was mechanized infantry, Hated that as well! I though I would never see them again, but my SWAT commander thinks they are awesome so I'm back in the giant green onesie!

Todays prep I felt incredibly stupid .. I got a 3L hydration bag for my camelbak. For $7 it feels way overpriced though but I've held off nearly a year on getting one, which have been thinking about getting for oh 7 years now.
7 bucks over priced for the b3l bag? i always find bags for 10 bucks on up. 7 dollars seem like a steal for me.

7 bucks over priced for the b3l bag? i always find bags for 10 bucks on up. 7 dollars seem like a steal for me.

It wasn't the camelbak it was just the plastic bag that goes in it with the plastic tube... its a piece of plastic.. not even the spandex//cordura like molleII bag.. $7 is a lot for a plastic bag. $7 for the bladder not the bag. Something like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3L-Water-Bla...325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232c047a55

I still have my acu MolleII camelbak, just no bladder for it, I have a cycling bag also.. but I lost the twist on lid for its bag... so yes $7 is a lot for a more developed milk bag. I want my bag good to go for my expedition this summer though.. so I got the bladder finally. I could just bring some bottles but I'd prefer something I can attach to the outside of my ruck. (an oversized 2L+ pop bottle fits in it just fine but I think that it will be more conforming to the bag shape with an actual hydration bag in there... pop bottles are free... even a tube could be mocked up.. but its done now so its done. with my water filter and the bag/bladder I should be good for water on the expedition. hopefully the tube will fit into the filter nozzle so I can directly filter water into the bladder through the drinking tube. It would make even more sense for me to get a second bladder so I can use gravity to filter the water from one end... to the other end of the filter by attaching a bladder to each end.. filling one bladder with the water that needs to be filtered, and the other with the drinking bladder.... even gravity filter while hiking perhaps...?

Ok so today my winter boots and pants arrived. Just a heads up.... I will probably mod my bunny boots with some duct tape, because the valve actually appears like it could snag, so having duct tape and just covering it over to round it off is prudent imo if you can get white duct tape this may be good, not sure what temperature duct tape is rated to.

As far as the extreme cold weather pants... I was a little concerned because these were sent via mail to the florida shipping center. However the material degrades at 56 degrees celcius which a vehicle in the sun can easily go up to that temperature. So I'm uncertain if the shipping method exposed the pants to 54 degree temperatures or greater 130f, if so the insulating properties may have been reduced. I'm very suprised this is the only set of clothing that actually has name branded laundering instructions for liquid tide and another laundry soap. I have to say the pants exceeded my expectations, now I just hope they do their job. As I've had my winter jacket, the pants and the boots on for 20 minutes now and I don't feel "hot" I feel warm and thats it. Although these arn't all my layers, I am comfortable sitting in them in positive 68 f 20 celcius weather.

I still need to pick up gloves. My headgear hasn't showed up yet but I may only add one more balaclava put probably not. I have a head wrap, I think nomex cvc balclava, a spandex white balclava and two fleece neck warmers that can be turned into a hat, and my goggles, although I am wondering how I am suppose to keep my eyes warm..

I also have white coveralls but I'm not sure if they will fit.. this is for my "snow camo" . I really don't have any fall cammo much, I was considering a ghillie suit... not really sure None the less, I'm very happy I really only have a few sets of glove to buy till I'm all set.. anyone with a good glove mitten set for extreme cold kindly let me know, all I've seen so far is the US set but I'm already wearing quite a bit of US forces gear and I want to keep that down to stay legally compliant as I can't look like US forces.

and the boots..

ok actually they were less, they were $20 and the shipping was $40 misquoted price

I was thinking of the bladder also. Most I have seen go for the ten bucks. But could be just the brand and location I am buying from. (academy)

Can you post up a link to your specific bladder.. These are selling for $7 with free shipping out of hong kong..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3L-Bicycle-M...LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1e791ac90f&_uhb=1

Bag size: 52.5 * 18.5cm, thickness 0.4mm As you can see they are quite thin. at only 0.4mm.

0.015748 in. thickness. IS this the one http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_590564_-1 it looks like it may be thicker bag material. I could be wrong though. This bag though is about 1.5 litre so its half the capacity of the $7 one above. You get a limited lifetime warranty with the acadamy bag though.

That's the one. And there are done that go for 20 bucks that come with a thing you freeze and keep with the bladder and it keeps the water cold longer

Tis the season,so I can add gardening work to my prep list as well,but the dandelions are kicking my butt this year and hopefully they will die down soon.Yes,I know they can be eaten,but i'm trying not to resort to that until all else has failed,lol.

I found some CCI .22lr (and alot of other rounds too) showing back up on the shelves,grabbed up what limit I was allowed at 3 places,going out again today for more.Not that I really need more,but hey,i'm a prepper.

I also bought some cheapo solar lights at chinamart for recharging batteries only to find they had a funky little battery instead of the AA's that I was looking for,but for 97 cents,I kept them.They still will be good for little night lights,then went back and got the larger lights with AA's and two packs better rechargable batteries to go with them.Not too shabby,with the globe and post removed they look like little hockey pucks.

And my last prep for this week,since we paid off our credit card and I didn't know how to act seeing a balance of zero,I ordered a Berkey water filter with three sets of replacement filters for my wifes upcoming birthday (she's been screaming for one),so please don't tell her or let her know I used the credit card,lol!

Checked my local places today. No ammo I want on the shelves, again. The sporting goods manager at WallyWorld is a friend. He said they have not gotten in any 22lr for a while now and no idea when its coming. 223 ammo, 1 box in the last week.
I'm off from work for a few weeks due to an arm injury. Hopefully I can get some things done. It sure slows things down using one arm. Going to smoke a beef roast in my drum smoker. First one of the year!

Checked my local places today. No ammo I want on the shelves, again. The sporting goods manager at WallyWorld is a friend. He said they have not gotten in any 22lr for a while now and no idea when its coming. 223 ammo, 1 box in the last week.
I'm off from work for a few weeks due to an arm injury. Hopefully I can get some things done. It sure slows things down using. Going to smoke a beef roast in my drum smoker. First one of the year!

Yea,chinamart's shelves were still pretty bare.They only had a few boxes of federal in .22 (not my favorite brand) and with a three box limit,I only picked up one,a box of 9mm and a bulk pack of 20g.I think the trick (around here at least) is catching it as soon as it hits the shelf.I've asked several times about when they receive their orders and have been told everytime that they "are not allowed to say".I have a feeling that employees are taking first dibs and we are getting the leftovers.They also had no .223 that I seen there,but will check again today when I go out.

Tis the season,so I can add gardening work to my prep list as well,but the dandelions are kicking my butt this year and hopefully they will die down soon.Yes,I know they can be eaten,but i'm trying not to resort to that until all else has failed,lol.

I found some CCI .22lr (and alot of other rounds too) showing back up on the shelves,grabbed up what limit I was allowed at 3 places,going out again today for more.Not that I really need more,but hey,i'm a prepper.

I also bought some cheapo solar lights at chinamart for recharging batteries only to find they had a funky little battery instead of the AA's that I was looking for,but for 97 cents,I kept them.They still will be good for little night lights,then went back and got the larger lights with AA's and two packs better rechargable batteries to go with them.Not too shabby,with the globe and post removed they look like little hockey pucks.

And my last prep for this week,since we paid off our credit card and I didn't know how to act seeing a balance of zero,I ordered a Berkey water filter with three sets of replacement filters for my wifes upcoming birthday (she's been screaming for one),so please don't tell her or let her know I used the credit card,lol!

Dandelions are alright if you prepare them properly. its the greens you want to eat also using the closed buds, or optionally the open buds is ok.. don't eat the stem part. You want to break the greens down onto square inch sized bits by ripping them. Anything that is overly plant matter like grass for firbre and nutrients or dandelions is best ripped apart into small peices, this way if it is a fiberous portion it doesn't complicate full bowel movements. There is little more uncomortable than getting that just too long peice of grass or dandelion that didn't fully digest half in your colon and half in the toilet. Perhaps the only thing worse is needing to squat and being utterly whipped out due to fever, and biking 70km at which point your thighs are wasted. Part of diet is what it feels like to fully digest it.

None the less salt is highly suggested for anything relating to dandelions. A little sugar can be good.. if you have vinegar even better(salt,sugar,vinegar) and if you have pepper that is the cherry right there, oh and I forgot a little olive oil etc... It goes well with rice. I prefer boiling but I also like "crisping it" then crumbling the cooked or dried greens as a topping.

The open budds imo are best used to make wine or vinegar. closed buds are good to throw into rice, to act a bit like brussle sprouts.

I havn't managed much, I've been stuck on paper work, ended up biking like 70km yesterday and I am still zonked today. I'm really not made for biking. man I hate paperwork.

Bought some of the Mountain House brand dehydrated hiker foods the other day. Ate the beef stew. Not bad out of the bag.
Went and bought 10 more for my BOB.

Ok, so out of the blue I get a phone call asking if I want some firewood. All it cost me was to pick it up. Son drove us over and it was loaded by tractor onto the trailer. Scored 2 face cord of free seasoned firewood, cut and split! I can go back tomorrow and get another load and perhaps even 2. Now that is a prep I thankfully accepted and didn't even expect!!

Free and loaded with a tractor.... man, it don't get no better than that!

Wish someone would give me a call like that! I can't complain though, a buddy of ours asked if we could use some hay cause he needed the space in his barn, so we ended up with 135 heavy square bales of 3rd cutting alfalfa. Tried to pay him and he wouldn't take a dime, but Hubs is going to break a horse to ride for him next month.

Bought some of the Mountain House brand dehydrated hiker foods the other day. Ate the beef stew. Not bad out of the bag.

Never tried Mountain House. Is it anything like the Bear Creek dehydrated? They make pastas and soups. The packages are big enough to serve 4, kind of a lot for a BOB. They work well for long term preps.

Never tried Mountain House. Is it anything like the Bear Creek dehydrated? They make pastas and soups. The packages are big enough to serve 4, kind of a lot for a BOB. They work well for long term preps.
They say each has two servings. I can eat a whole bag by my self though. I have never had Bear Creek before.

Haven't tried any of the dehydrated foods...I look at them every time I see them...just can't part with good money for it yet...but it is nice to know the beef stew meets someone's approval! :)

Tonight my prep was coaching my 22yo daughter in why she should prep at least a little! She lives 60mi west of us in an apartment...storms ripped thru there last night and knocked out their power...city water but no hot water and no air etc. She has no candles, no water, no nothing in her place. So, our lesson to her was at least the basics...some food, water (or at least bottles to fill before they water tower runs dry, candles for light. She carries pepper spray...a young gal in a college town (or anywhere) is always at risk. She accepted the pepper spray years ago...now I think she'll accept the idea of being at least somewhat prepared!!!

Haven't tried any of the dehydrated foods...I look at them every time I see them...just can't part with good money for it yet...but it is nice to know the beef stew meets someone's approval! :)

Tonight my prep was coaching my 22yo daughter in why she should prep at least a little! She lives 60mi west of us in an apartment...storms ripped thru there last night and knocked out their power...city water but no hot water and no air etc. She has no candles, no water, no nothing in her place. So, our lesson to her was at least the basics...some food, water (or at least bottles to fill before they water tower runs dry, candles for light. She carries pepper spray...a young gal in a college town (or anywhere) is always at risk. She accepted the pepper spray years ago...now I think she'll accept the idea of being at least somewhat prepared!!!
Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. I'm sure her stance on prepping will forever be altered after this.
If i may make a suggestion, as for personal protection, a good machete would be a nice companion to the pepper spray. If she is staying in the apartment: empty bottle balanced on a door knob is a cheap way to be notified if anyone "tries" the door knob. Also she could string some empty soda cans with a few pebbles in them across the window sills to alert her.
In the future she could also buy a single burner propane stove with a couple of compressed gas cylinders for just such an emergency in the future.
I hope she is well.

I bought a used travel trailer the other day and was digging around in it and found this. Called the seller and asked if it was his, he said no.
So now I find myself the proud owner of a silver clad brass pocket compass with with a hinged lid and a needle lock and a signal mirror on the back.
Biggest bonus: It has my first name initial on the cover.
opencomp.jpg

Latest posts

Back