This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My big break through was talking to the wife seriously about prepping. We have talked about it before and she had agreed somewhat but we never really did a lot. We put a few cases of water bottles and canned food away. This week we talked more seriously about it and she is on board now (at least to a point ;))! I have started planning and making space to put away a few barrels of water and have ordered some mylars and oxy absorbers. Now will be looking for bulk grains, beans and rice.

Hi Adam, maybe you would like to mention natural disasters too like what happened here with the Super Typhoon. Food is scarce up to now (which is about 2 weeks later)
This would be a good way to get her fully on-board.

I just bought a SolarForce Z2 flashlight which runs on AA batteries. This is my 3rd good brand flashlight. I also have some of those china-ones el cheapo as back-up

I ordered some goodies to improve as well as dress up my AK.Ordered a UTG quad rail handguard so all of the wood furniture will be gone now (Already have the collapsible stock) .A foregrip with a built in bipod,3 more mags,laser/light railmount combo,the side mount UTG quick release scope mount and a Bushnell 30mm quick sight red/green dot optic.The wife says i'm done for Christmas,no more,lol.

A coworker gave me another empty altoids mini tin today think im gonna make it my charcloth tin. Havnt really done anything else prepwise this week.

i splurged a lil today by buying ham n chesse hot puckets today.stocked up on some caned foods today.

Did a quick inventory on my prep so I will quit buying multiples . put out a little decon to help keep it safe .

I made homemade fire starters. Took some cardboard egg cartons and filled them with some lint from he dryer that I have been saving. Melted some Gulf paraffin wax and poured into the cartons. If you do this, cut off the top of the cartons and put underneath the egg holding part, your wax will soak through. Once the wax is dried, cut into individual. When you use one to start a fire, the fire starter will burn for about 10 minutes. Very easy to do and well worth it. I get people who will donate these cartons to me in exchange for some eggs and all I have to do is buy the wax.

Nascent iodine is a easy to absorbe form of iodine to help keep a safe level of iodine and may help protect the thyroid if exposed to radiation like from the Funk........fuke ......f.... That nuclear thing in Japan .

This week with the weather being so odd all I did was add more and newer stuff to my bob, and clean around the house and shops, does any one know if the slightest bit of gold can be mined in Alabama or Tn. ?

I did a ton of re- organizing and looked through my stuff. Man, I've come a long way over the last 3 months. I went from 24 hours of food to 6 weeks and enough gear to survive a few months.

I have to brag, I can't help it. My little girl would make any prepper parents proud. Last night we are butchering the second of two deer we shot. Our situation is largely different than most of the people on here and we don't need the meat, and could easly get by without venison. Our kids, a 6yo son and 8yo daughter are helping me when our daughter says, "if we get one mor deer we'll be doomsday ready." She's a big fan of the show and we think its an important skill for them to know how to kill and process wild meat

I've heard you can pan gold in any stream,creek or Mnt holler and find "some". Don't think you could make a living in AL or TN .

I made homemade fire starters. Took some cardboard egg cartons and filled them with some lint from he dryer that I have been saving. Melted some Gulf paraffin wax and poured into the cartons. If you do this, cut off the top of the cartons and put underneath the egg holding part, your wax will soak through. Once the wax is dried, cut into individual. When you use one to start a fire, the fire starter will burn for about 10 minutes. Very easy to do and well worth it. I get people who will donate these cartons to me in exchange for some eggs and all I have to do is buy the wax.
Very nice! I soak cotton balls in beezwax also works great burns for several minutes.
What is the nascent iodine for?
I personally use a type called Atomidine it is cheaper and actually stronger per dose were the top brands of nascent you take 6 drops .. Atomidine is the same dose in 1 drop. and its cheaper!

Picked up some more ammo for my intermeadiate range sniper rifle 300 AAC BLACKOUT . But mostly just CHRIST MASS shopped .

Last edited:
Yesterday I had a martial arts test in 2 classes then talked about my future with training. (I'm training to teach it so I am getting different opportunities than others do) talked with my parents (again) about prepping and we decided that no food while I'm here (sadly) but I can get gear. Planning on biking to the grocery store some time soon to pick up batteries and a few lighters.

Found 4 people within 2 miles of me that also prep. Formed a team with them. I thought it would be nice to have a group of people with me. Plus, I'll be better financially (as we plan on all chipping in a little money for each group supply we buy).

Came across a great deal on 30 cal ammo cans and started a new can of .22 lr and a can of .300AAC .
Will start new cans of reloads for several others this week end .

Making some real headway with my parents. Got my Mom more or less on board with me getting a firearm (or in my case 3) when we get back to north america. On top of that my parents are giving me more freedom with my gear and I had secretly stored 2 weeks of food for a family of 4. Recently I showed my mom my gear and she found it and told me to show my father. After showing him he looked at me and said "it os your job to make sure we rotate that" I think i've got them to accept things now and they are letting me do my thing

this week, i tested out that a toy crossbow with real darts (cut down on the fins) could potentially be a hunting tool or defence deterrent.

Have been testing and seeing if its accurate.

Still planning my recipes based on existing food stores. I think I've got my 1 week plan almost there. like.. finally ...

but this week will be a slow week. Project is up this week, lots of demos and overtime ...

went shopping yesterday.stocked up some store bought canned foods..now i can get other foods that'll be needed next time i go shoping...also used my $50.00 gift card i got on xmas day for some canning stuff.2 cases of regular pint canning jars,4 rechargable AAA bataries,and 1 printer ink cartredge.

Some late christmas gifts came in today due to shipping overseas. Got some really cool prepper things. A brand new fire striker, a plasitic magnifing lensfor lighting fires and a nice knove sharpening keychain. My parents also got my brother a fire starter but it isn't his favourite gift this year :p

Im throwing out a challenge to everyone to post what they do for prepping. I know time and money can limit what people can get done. Even one thing a week, no matter how small gets you one step closer to your goals. Over the next year this should be a huge thread and all of us should have 50 projects done.

This week my son and I picked up 700 223 brass and 800 40cal brass to reload. Cost was nothing but an hours time. Now the work starts to prepare it to reload and locate bullets.

What have you accomplished this week?
Dehydrated some cabbage and Apples! The apples taste great they are sweet and the cabbage will be a great addition to wilderness stews or soups!
100_1748.JPG
100_1750.JPG

Made some soup for dinner tonight added in some of my dehydrated ripe tomatoes ! they rehydrated and tasted great ! i was very pleased with it think i will be expanding my dehydrated veggie assortment greatly!

Latest posts

Back