This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thumbs up on the Chia Seeds and Psyllium. Got those in my stores.

So you stay in the Central Area. I prefer going to the West side. then heading off to Bugis Hawker Center and hmmmm, maybe Geylang Road with some friends haha...

I used to go to Science Park Drive II at the Silicon Graphics HeadQuarters and would usually stay at RELC after Shangrila at the end of Orchard Road and right before Orange Grove.

good stuff. so whilst having canned food, some TANG with chia seeds ensure regular bowel movement. Really important.

Bugis is ok. Geylang food is good if you ignore the small alley ways. Orchard road is overated, I don't go there much anymore...

I guess growing older helps. lol.

good stuff. so whilst having canned food, some TANG with chia seeds ensure regular bowel movement. Really important.

Bugis is ok. Geylang food is good if you ignore the small alley ways. Orchard road is overated, I don't go there much anymore...

I guess growing older helps. lol.

Geylang Road had more than food to offer LOL... I like staying at Orchard because when Takashimaya Square would have a Sale, it would really be a sale. I also missed hanging out at Muddy Murphy's during happy hour (A pint of Dark Ale would be only S$10)

man. the prices now have sky rocketed left right and centre man.

yes, i know geylang has more than food to offer, but we _are_ at the family side of the forum :p

man. the prices now have sky rocketed left right and centre man.

yes, i know geylang has more than food to offer, but we _are_ at the family side of the forum :p
LOL... was referring to the sights and festivities there :cool:...

By the way, how is the sourcing there of stuff? Do you go to Malaysia to get some of your prepper stuff?

some. but food wise, i generally look locally. we actually have a better variety of canned food and some stuff like dehydrators and the likes, its cheaper to buy from places like dx.com or aliexpress.

Gonna try to bring in some arrows from aliexpress soon. 29.99 USD for 12. See whether it passes customs. From what I've seen, its technically legal to bring them in, without a license. keeping my fingers crossed.

I have also found a website which sells blades affordably. They tend to bring in the higher end cold steel or similar branded blades, so naturally the pricing is higher. I've compared and after shipping is included, its quite comparable. Probably a 5 to 10% markup which is acceptable.

Gotta get myself one of them dehydrators soon ...

Found a bunch of .22 ammo CCI hollow points at $7 for 100 rounds put them in a ammo can for storage .
Overlord one of my favorite knives came from the Philppines it is a hand made Bowie knife with a 9" blade .

Psalm 7, there are a lot of good blademakers locally. The Types of Filipino swords actually number in the hundreds from the North to South.

Just be careful buying here because some are made from pot metal. The preferred metals, I will use the local terms so when you purchase again you can as for these, are:
1) "Bearing" - the steel used to make Ball Bearings
2) "Mollye" - the leaf springs of cars and trucks
3) "Riles" - the railroad tracks

Am not familiar as to what these metals actually are but they are very strong.

If you can order a "Ginunting", this is a formidable short sword. It has a curved blade with the edge on the inside. It is now in use by the Armed Forces of the Philippines.

As to my weekly check-in, been reading up on prepping and homesteading reference books.

I've found the Philippine short sword's on Ebay . I'll get one . The bidding gets wild on these if it looks like a good quality one . I think the tradition goes back to the Moro (?) warriors .

Be careful on those items. majority of those items are cheap imitations of the good stuff.

Well, it kinda does go back to the era of the Moros. As they went to different parts of the country, their equipment changed not only to adapt to the environment but also as a symbol of their tribe.

Notice, we have provinces that have the names of Kalibo, Kalinga, etc. Kali means the sword/warriors. Kalibo is read as Kali - bo where bo means a gathering so together, it means "a gathering of warriors". This is where the "Datus" first settled down when they migrated. There are 12 or 13 founding Datus (Kings)

Nice man, I have been using two litter pop bottles, just out of the tap. After three months I water my plants with them then refill. CHEAP plus you get SODA FIRST.
Drip about 5 drops of bleach in them and they last for a really long time. I stash them in every remote cabinet corner and crevice I can, probably have about 100 around the house. I have two creeks so flushing the toilet is covered even if it's a lot of bucketing for now. The bottles are just for drinking/washing and cooking. My son lives in the cabin on the back of the property and forgot to drip his faucets a few weeks ago. Sure enough he took some of the bottles home with him. Still wish I could get him to start making his own!

The 2 liter bottles are nice but I don't have time to check on rabbits every day so I got a 55gal. drum, some of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CF6N9J6/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and some plastic tube and I only have to water my rabbits once a month. I made some hay racks from old freezer baskets and used some gutter down spout in the top of the feeders to up their capacity 5x now I only have to give them pellets once a week and fill the hay racks about every two or three days.
Yeah the daily thing is a pain, I'll look into at least the water issue. I have a water line right next to the rabbits, so I'll figure out a way to hook it up. The freezing up issue is the only reason I haven't yet.

Be careful on those items. majority of those items are cheap imitations of the good stuff.

Well, it kinda does go back to the era of the Moros. As they went to different parts of the country, their equipment changed not only to adapt to the environment but also as a symbol of their tribe.

Notice, we have provinces that have the names of Kalibo, Kalinga, etc. Kali means the sword/warriors. Kalibo is read as Kali - bo where bo means a gathering so together, it means "a gathering of warriors". This is where the "Datus" first settled down when they migrated. There are 12 or 13 founding Datus (Kings)

I enjoy that back round information! New, information everyday makes us all smarter! Thank you:)

Hey, lucked out today and found a few medical things in the bathroom. I asked my dad about it and he said that he had forgot about it. He then remembered about some more and let me have a field day on all the family stuff. I checked for starility and now we have 2 new traumakits. He is also looking at getting somemore medical things.

Hey, lucked out today and found a few medical things in the bathroom. I asked my dad about it and he said that he had forgot about it. He then remembered about some more and let me have a field day on all the family stuff. I checked for starility and now we have 2 new traumakits. He is also looking at getting somemore medical things.
Good for you Tyler!! Keep on going. You are doing a great job and it sounds like your dad is a pretty kool guy! I bet he is proud of you!! I wish you more luck in finding items.

My dad is pretty awesome :p I'm finding my self looking back at my prepping experience so far and looking at what will come. I'm looking back at pervious posts and essentially watching myself learn in the time that I've been here. It has been a nice journey so far and even though it had its ups and downs (like trying to get my mom over the idea of an extended shtf on board or getting my parents to replenish my battery stash) it has provided me with stability and confidence to know that no matter what happens I have a head start.

What a great topic, there's over 10,000 views on this thread. I spent the day working in my greenhouse. Built the retention wall for the 2nd raised bed and shoveled soil, rabbit and chicken manure till my body was beat! I also transplanted a plum tree that was about two yrs old. Had to use the SUV to pull the rootball up out of the hole after I wrapped it all up. This was my day to abuse myself with a shovel. Who in the hell needs to pay for a gym membership! I also pruned the heck out of about 50 fruit trees, it kind of looks like a tornado went thru the yard. It's going to take weeks to get all that crap picked up and burned. I now know why you never see any fat farmers.

Last edited:
My dad is pretty awesome :p I'm finding my self looking back at my prepping experience so far and looking at what will come. I'm looking back at pervious posts and essentially watching myself learn in the time that I've been here. It has been a nice journey so far and even though it had its ups and downs (like trying to get my mom over the idea of an extended shtf on board or getting my parents to replenish my battery stash) it has provided me with stability and confidence to know that no matter what happens I have a head start.
Tyler- I have no idea how old you are but let me say, "I commend you and your actions!" You sound like an amazing young man. It is so good to hear your thought process. You have a good head on you! Stay strong, focused, always want to learn more and stay keeping track of your actions! If you do this in your everyday life there is nothing that you can't do! Stand tall, stand proud, and stay true to you!! I have another word for you, WHOA!

Trapper, stop deluding yourself. I can both sue you in Canada, as well, you have committed a felony, criminal harassment, indictable is a felony equivolent. Canadian Jursidiction is global, much like US jurisidiction is global. If you commit crimes in Canada from the US it is dual jurisdicition and you are accountable in both Jurisdicitions. There have even been dual national courts established for some cases. Ignorance of the law is not innocence. Your opinion is 150% false. The internet ain't just in the US, you are communicating with people all around the world, and your postings online are accountable everywhere in the world. Now you may never travel outside the US to Canada, so an enforcement order or finding in absentee may not be enforcable if the US does not agree to extradite you... although, yes Canadian Police can now exercise the law in the US, and vice versa for American cops in Canada. Saying I'm in America I'm unaccountable for laws broken in Canada is completely false, understand if communicating outside the US you are indeed acting in another jurisdiction. It is like sending a mail bomb to another state, very well you would have broken law in both states and most likely federally. You are accountable and there are mechanisms to apply rulings as well as sentences if applicable. Now I'm not 100% sure I would pursue it indictably if I acted as special prosecution criminally, as while I have reasonable grounds to be concerned for my safety, you are riding a fine line. None the less the courts will determine things. Extradition to Canada can and does happen. If you are communicating to a Canadian or to Canada, then you are under Canadian Jurisdiction Now there are factors to consider, however you should be aware similar laws exist in the US. If I were to sue you you'd have a month or two to respond and if you just went, its Canada I don't have to reply, you'd be in default and a judgement could be ordered. This is much the same as the RIAA trying to enforce copyright laws in Canada, there are treaties and agreements that facilitate for this. None the less harassment is illegal, Understand that and stop.

The world is getting tired of trolling and more and more laws are coming into place to prevent that type of conduct, for example Wisconin has Wis. Stat. § 947.0125

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/947/0125

Minnesota
Minn. Stat. § 609.749 https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.749
Minn. Stat. § 609.795 https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.795
Now kindly stop and let this thread get back to its purpose.

Do not direct communications to me, whatsoever. And do not even talk about me, if you do you risk false light defamation, or simply defamation. I am being very civil with this, be aware you are breaking the law if you communicate with me against my wishes. Some people wouldn't even provide notice. It is rude, offensive, and an annoyance.[/quote

LOL!!!!!

Well lets see this week prepwise! Got a new 12 guage shotgun W&S 612 series tactical, 2 boxes of heavy load shot, 2 boxes of 9mm rounds. Bought a steel gun cabinet so the youngin cant get to them! Got my buddy at Tindall Knives .com making me a 10.5in overall bushknife and custom leather sheath! Found some mini tools at lowes for a buck or 2 each prybar,keychain screwdriver,then the credit card size multi tool. also bought 3 small zip up tool pouches from lowes to better organize my survival bag. and last but not least a small neck knife with a kydex sheath! will post pics of everything soon!

Well lets see this week prepwise! got a couple 100' packs of para coord 1-550 and 1-275 . Also went today and bought a Smith&Wesson Black Ops springloaded assisted open folder with micarta handles.

Well lets see this week prepwise! got a couple 100' packs of para coord 1-550 and 1-275 . Also went today and bought a Smith&Wesson Black Ops springloaded assisted open folder with micarta handles.
I don't even know what the s&w thing is, but sounds cool!

Picked up 500 9mm jhp bullets to reload, 2 mag grip extensions for the glock 27 and a new scope mount for another project. The bullets will be loaded for long term storage. Prepping time is limited due to travel time from my new job.

Stocked up on weapons cleaning gear . Rem oil , Hoppe's #9 , patches , a can of lithium grease for long term protection .

Just finished my 1 month test of trying to survive on just my stocks (with a little cheating on the side though as in little). It was kinda hard adjusting to a mostly canned goods based diet with my pasta and rice. we made all sorts of dishes by combining canned goods.

This exercise made me realize the following things:
1) I have to improve my variety of stocks (both canned, dried and planted)
2) You have to practice this from time to time to get your system adjusted to living differently from everyday food (where fresh food is available)
3) I thought that I had only 3 months of stock, we found out we had 6 months of stock... hmmmm....
4) Lastly, you can really have some tasty dishes combining the various items you have like Corned Beef in Mushroom Soup, or Spam in thick Mushroom Soup (which can also serve as a pasta sauce or over rice)...

My test run was done based on the premise, we had to bug in at my current place of residence which is a condominium unit.

Am planning to have a test run before the end of the year on the premise that I have to bug out to the farm.

Just finished my 1 month test of trying to survive on just my stocks (with a little cheating on the side though as in little). It was kinda hard adjusting to a mostly canned goods based diet with my pasta and rice. we made all sorts of dishes by combining canned goods.

This exercise made me realize the following things:
1) I have to improve my variety of stocks (both canned, dried and planted)
2) You have to practice this from time to time to get your system adjusted to living differently from everyday food (where fresh food is available)
3) I thought that I had only 3 months of stock, we found out we had 6 months of stock... hmmmm....
4) Lastly, you can really have some tasty dishes combining the various items you have like Corned Beef in Mushroom Soup, or Spam in thick Mushroom Soup (which can also serve as a pasta sauce or over rice)...

My test run was done based on the premise, we had to bug in at my current place of residence which is a condominium unit.

Am planning to have a test run before the end of the year on the premise that I have to bug out to the farm.
I'm pretty impressed, 1 month is a real world test. I've thought about trying it for a week! I think trying to go a week without power would be tougher for me than the food! Now, quick, go treat yourself to your favorite food! Be well

I'm pretty impressed, 1 month is a real world test. I've thought about trying it for a week! I think trying to go a week without power would be tougher for me than the food! Now, quick, go treat yourself to your favorite food! Be well

Yep, we had a big treat. An 18-inch pizza, veggie salads, and freshly steamed fish in soy and ginger.... (I know they don't match but what the heck, after 30 days of canned goods, they tasted like heaven! haha)

and a half-gallon of ice cream

PS: we are a family of 4 so the treats were just right.

I've been stockin up on more rice this week, I figure this weekend I'll get around to getting some more canned stuff to help supplement the rice. I also am looking into having a friend on base buy ammo for me since it's so cheap. If that goes well, I will hopefully be stocked up on my .40 ammo :) now if I could just find me some 22lr.,..

Way to prep dude , I bow to your prepping superiority and will look forward to your further prepping exercise posts.

Thanks, dude. Am not a superior prepper, just a meek and mild and teeny tiny prepper (alhtough i do weigh 300lbs) LOL....

Thank you for the support.

We decided to do a test run since we are used to always having fresh produce available since the supermarket is nearby and there is a small market near my daughter's school.

All I can say was that the 18" Cheese Pizza, veggie salad, and fresh fish tasted sooooooo good. It takes a lack of something to really appreciate it. And the ice cream was simply heaven hehehe...

Now I got to get working on the fishpond in the farm just to make sure I have my fish and also the veggie plots...

Latest posts

Back