This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trapper, not sure if you are referring to me. I didn't plant tomatoes. Cukes, broccoli, spinach all shriveled up and died after I transplanted them. Probably the late frost. I covered them, but apparently that didn't help.

Alot of that stuff you can plant as seeds and keep them watered until they take off so no tranplanting .

Weeded the tomato garden. Plants growing good.
I have a 5 year old lime tree that finally gave us a crop of " limes". It seems as if they were cross pollinated with the neighbors orange tree.
These suckers are huge!
They are too tart to eat but make a really good ( sip, ahhhh) lemonade.
Started trimming mesquite trees, saving the trimmings for cooking later. All cuttings sorted by size,bark ( tinder), twigs ( starter) , thin branches, and logs.

Went fishing , came home deweeded the gardens , cleaned out the chicken house and put the manure from the chicken house on the gardens . Now sitting in the living room drinking ice tea and watching THE LONGEST DAY starring John Wayne .

took my courgette plants to my garden,did some watering aswell,tomorrow it's time to plant beetroots,it was quite hot there around 90,no wind but sauna helped alot this evening,relaxed my back :)

I was going to set up a solar panel to run my fridge and freezer, but am leaning towards an lp tank to run my generator instead. The main reason is that during a storm the panels can easily be damaged, rendering them useless when needed most. The secondary reason is with the gas I can run an outdoor kitchen, and even use gas logs in the fireplace. Another benefit to liquid petroleum is it never goes bad, like gasoline which has a short shelf life. I would really like the option of an outdoor kitchen, not just for emergencies but for cooking in the heat of summer as well. I cook on the grill a lot now, but an oven would be great.
I have gas back up just in case if the power goes. However I would love to have a stove away from the house. I have both grills gas and Charcoal. We love the gas, however just in case if the gas ever goes and we need to use wood, we can use the big charcoal grill if needed. I would love to put a new room on with the gas wall units. we heated 3 rooms in Masine with one little gas unit, and we loved it.

I have to admit that I haven't accomplished much physically but I started talking to my young nephews about becoming closer to the earth. Not trying to give them any kind of stress but trying to point out the importance of growing our own food and stockpiling just in case. We live in Hurricane country so they can see that. But I want to create an awareness in their generation that our securities are fragile and we can't totally depend on them. If when the SHTF and it's not in our time I want them to be ready if it comes in their time. I feel so sorry for city people who have never experienced living in the country, they are going to be so clueless and desperate when there is a sudden end to our way of life. We need to teach our young people if nothing else how to build a shelter, build a fire, find water, find food, hunt and fish. And to grow their own food. This is pretty simple here in Louisiana but I know in California anyone living south of San Francisco hasn't got a clue. I worry about my brothers I left behind.

Constructed a throwing target in my back yard and continued my knife practice. Getting pretty good at it, although I think the neighbors are concerned that I'm some sort of white terrorist. I'm always back there shooting the air rifle, practicing vaults over my picnic table, or throwing knives at my tree. One time when my wife and I were trying to use our magnesium stick and flint striker to start a fire, they came over with a safety lighter and a resin log. We told them we were practicing for camping. I'm not sure if they got it.

Constructed a throwing target in my back yard and continued my knife practice. Getting pretty good at it, although I think the neighbors are concerned that I'm some sort of white terrorist. I'm always back there shooting the air rifle, practicing vaults over my picnic table, or throwing knives at my tree. One time when my wife and I were trying to use our magnesium stick and flint striker to start a fire, they came over with a safety lighter and a resin log. We told them we were practicing for camping. I'm not sure if they got it.

Here I thought you were practicing to be some "White Ninja" ...next time...just excuse yourself and say "your trying out a new Texas style "barbeque sushi recipe" that requires a low flame...and that a magnesium stick was the way to go...see what they say...lol. Have a good one Shadow, this Memorial Day weekend.

Sounds like my neighbors. I do anything and everyone is staring at me. Last year we hid the garden behind the barn, I could hear the neighbors talking and it was all "what are they doing back there" ;)

This week has been a busy week for preps...I added a few more MARPAT packs in my inventory...got a great deal. Additionally I received some new Asherman Seals to be added to my trauma and Medical Kit. I invested in some new burn jel that has hit the market.

My most important purchase has been some new marketed fire retardant undergrear and some new battle uniforms that just have begun to hit the military inventory...replacing the old ACU Army type uniforms. I will later right a post...on the items for people interested.

Mr. Silent Bob,
What is a MARPAT?
Lindy

MARPAT=Marine Pattern.

The Marine Corps was the first of the five services to adopt a different pattern of uniforms that differed from the traditionally Natick Approved "Army" pattern in early 2. The MARPAT design actually is patented by the Marine Corps and was adopted in early 2000. The basic scheme was an improved Canadian version, I believe.

Typically each service elects to identify what patterns of uniforms they choose to use as a utility uniform (work uniform). The Army prior to the ACU uniform was the Olive Drab (O.D. Green, Vietnam color uniform). The Air Force typically followed suit with the same O.D. and the Marines typically used the same O.D., but with a modified pockets (larger) and had the Marine Corp emblem in-bedded into the breast pocket...to help differ from the Marine Corps from the Army. The Navy relied on the tested and true Blue Bell Bottom Jeans and Blue pocketed shirt (similar to a jean shirt of today). In the mid 1980's, the Army contracted out to clothiers (the woodland type Battle Dress Uniform), Cotton-Poly Twill, these served the purpose of the then Cold War Era operations (European-NATO type of war environment and the Korean Peninsula). Prior to the Gulf War, Army and Marine units were rushed the Desert BDU and later the Air Force adopted this pattern (later to have a hot-weather version) adopted during the 12 year Air-Campaign.

I want to say, typically the Marine's have been the ugly step children when it comes to designs for Individual Equipment. They get all the hand-me downs, part of this, no slam on the Navy, they get this budget from the Navy and as a result, typical since the inception of the Marines...don't have a research and development program near the size of the Army, Air Force or their parent organization the Navy. I can only think of a few weapons systems that are really unique to the Marines, one the Amphib, CH-46 helicopter, maybe a few others...but everything else has been developed by the Army and adopted in typical Marine fashion. In my opinion, slanted of course, since I've worked with them, done exceedingly well in combat with the material on hand. As a result the MARPAT designs were something well over due.

Now back to the designs of the MARPAT and the Army ACU pack. Personally the MARPAT pack design is similar to the Special Forces pack that was adopted about 15 years ago for SOF operations. However, it does differ in many ways in that the SOF (Gen-1) system (that was what I was issued) had a built in frame and the shoulder straps were part of the pack....meaning if the shoulders strap system or frame were damaged due to use, it would be FUBAR. The ACU design a follow-on and cheaper bag, had replaceable external contour frame, shoulder and butt pad straps that could be replaced. The MARPAT pack is similar in design to larger mountain packs. I have used both packs and feel that the MARPAT is the best option for long range hauls...also it will allow you to add the Marine Corp designed water mule to be attached to the pack.

Hope this explanation helps. Regards.

We got our chicken coup up and completed over the holiday weekend. Picked up 8 Rhode Island Red pullets (little females) to become egg laying chickens. Darn cute, and seem pretty happy. I've heard most folks end up losing a few right out (they are only a couple weeks old)...so we'll see. Hopefully not though.

Next week's project is to start the bunny habitat (so we can move them into bigger digs)...but I'm not so sure the wire I have a roll of will work for it yet....so have to see. Getting more is a pretty decent expense.

I just put the ducks in the chicken tractor as they are finally large enough not to get thru the 2x4 wire mesh now. I took them to the front creek today and they got to swim for the first time. I don't know how practical having a couple ducks are as far as prepping goes, but they sure are cute!
image.jpg
image.jpg

We got our chicken coup up and completed over the holiday weekend. Picked up 8 Rhode Island Red pullets (little females) to become egg laying chickens. Darn cute, and seem pretty happy. I've heard most folks end up losing a few right out (they are only a couple weeks old)...so we'll see. Hopefully not though.

Next week's project is to start the bunny habitat (so we can move them into bigger digs)...but I'm not so sure the wire I have a roll of will work for it yet....so have to see. Getting more is a pretty decent expense.
I think the main problem with new chicks is the cold at night. I got a hanging light and use a red flood light in it as it seems to let them sleep but gives off heat at night. I had gotten a deal on about 75 red and green 90watt flood lamps for .25cents ea. and have finally found a good use for them! I also start them with the medicated feed, although I don't know if it's needed. So far all the little ones lived, at least until some of the other chickens started pecking some of them. I have some pheasant eggs and several more chicken eggs in the incubator right now. I'm going to keep it going 24/7 for most of the summer. Hopefully I'll have a freezer full of my own chicken before winter. Post a pict of the coop!

No real cold nights here for a while (FL)...but when it gets time, yeah, we'll put in the lighting too.

Here's the finished coup. (ignore the building supplies leaning against the wall).
We attached it to the hay shed (which is concrete up until the height of the roof of the coup). It has 1/2"x1/2" hardware mesh so should protect them from just about any predator. We have a spring on the door to have it shut after entering.

My wife is to the right, kids on the left. This was just before putting the chicks in. They are sitting on the nesting boxes (8 openings).

Last edited:
Thanks. Was definitely a lot of work, and a family effort. Can't see it in the photo much, but actual roofing material used too (which we kind of debated). I'll put up some more pics of some of the details.

Some things we learned from others, some just during the process...(like digging it down some, so the board base would sit in the ground making a good seal against predators). We also used small pieces of rebar to help hold down the base and hold it in place also. The white area in front of the door is 4 patio stones (makes it easier to open/close the door). We also put up a couple of perching poles in a corner, but the chicks won't be big enough to use those for a while....

Rather than screwing into the concrete wall behind it, we affixed everything to the top where the wall is wood. The nesting boxes are just held up with cinder blocks (again, otherwise would have had to drill into concrete). We wanted to be able to easily walk in and get eggs, and handle the chickens, hence the height.

Eventually, we'll rig up a couple of small fans and a heat light for use in different weather extremes, but I'll have to run a power outlet over there first.

No real cold nights here for a while (FL)...but when it gets time, yeah, we'll put in the lighting too.

Here's the finished coup. (ignore the building supplies leaning against the wall).
We attached it to the hay shed (which is concrete up until the height of the roof of the coup). It has 1/2"x1/2" hardware mesh so should protect them from just about any predator. We have a spring on the door to have it shut after entering.

My wife is to the right, kids on the left. This was just before putting the chicks in. They are sitting on the nesting boxes (8 openings).
I couldn't get the coop to come up full size, great pict of you two at Disney though. I could make out the thumbnail enough though. I'm pretty computer illiterate anyways!

MARPAT=Marine Pattern.

The Marine Corps was the first of the five services to adopt a different pattern of uniforms that differed from the traditionally Natick Approved "Army" pattern in early 2. The MARPAT design actually is patented by the Marine Corps and was adopted in early 2000. The basic scheme was an improved Canadian version, I believe.

Typically each service elects to identify what patterns of uniforms they choose to use as a utility uniform (work uniform). The Army prior to the ACU uniform was the Olive Drab (O.D. Green, Vietnam color uniform). The Air Force typically followed suit with the same O.D. and the Marines typically used the same O.D., but with a modified pockets (larger) and had the Marine Corp emblem in-bedded into the breast pocket...to help differ from the Marine Corps from the Army. The Navy relied on the tested and true Blue Bell Bottom Jeans and Blue pocketed shirt (similar to a jean shirt of today). In the mid 1980's, the Army contracted out to clothiers (the woodland type Battle Dress Uniform), Cotton-Poly Twill, these served the purpose of the then Cold War Era operations (European-NATO type of war environment and the Korean Peninsula). Prior to the Gulf War, Army and Marine units were rushed the Desert BDU and later the Air Force adopted this pattern (later to have a hot-weather version) adopted during the 12 year Air-Campaign.

I want to say, typically the Marine's have been the ugly step children when it comes to designs for Individual Equipment. They get all the hand-me downs, part of this, no slam on the Navy, they get this budget from the Navy and as a result, typical since the inception of the Marines...don't have a research and development program near the size of the Army, Air Force or their parent organization the Navy. I can only think of a few weapons systems that are really unique to the Marines, one the Amphib, CH-46 helicopter, maybe a few others...but everything else has been developed by the Army and adopted in typical Marine fashion. In my opinion, slanted of course, since I've worked with them, done exceedingly well in combat with the material on hand. As a result the MARPAT designs were something well over due.

Now back to the designs of the MARPAT and the Army ACU pack. Personally the MARPAT pack design is similar to the Special Forces pack that was adopted about 15 years ago for SOF operations. However, it does differ in many ways in that the SOF (Gen-1) system (that was what I was issued) had a built in frame and the shoulder straps were part of the pack....meaning if the shoulders strap system or frame were damaged due to use, it would be FUBAR. The ACU design a follow-on and cheaper bag, had replaceable external contour frame, shoulder and butt pad straps that could be replaced. The MARPAT pack is similar in design to larger mountain packs. I have used both packs and feel that the MARPAT is the best option for long range hauls...also it will allow you to add the Marine Corp designed water mule to be attached to the pack.

Hope this explanation helps. Regards.

Thank you Mr. Silent Bob,
I learned a lot from you explanation.
Thank you for your service to all of US.
God bless you!
Lindy

great pict of you two at Disney though

LOL, I had no idea it would link to the other pics there. Hehe... We are pretty geeky. We also like meeting sci-fi celebs at conventions. Glad we got the pic with Shatner, he's gettin' up there these days.

you've met capt.Kirk??

Yeah, at DragonCon last year (Sci-Fi convention in Atlanta). In person, he's actually a very quiet, soft-spoken guy...until he gets on a stage...then he's full on Kirk mode...hehe. Oddly enough, we actually passed each other in the hall the day before the photo. He remembered mostly because I just said "Hello Bill" and nodded. (he was trying to be incognito, and get from panel to panel during the convention). He was surprised I just said that, and didn't call him out to everyone, and he said it was good to feel like a normal human being for a change. My buddy caught it a few seconds later, and went, "Was that?......Shatner?" lol....

Sulu, on the other hand, is a stand on the soapbox kind of guy, always going on and on about gay rights, ever since coming out. That's fine and all, but man, don't beat us over the head with it, huh? Nice enough guy, just tends to ramble a bit. Some funny stories though, about costars trying to hook him up, while he was closeted.

That's what I like about that convention, lots of chances to just talk with folks you've seen in movies and on TV for years. I got to speak with Erin Gray (from Buck Rogers) for quite some time. Turns out she once owned a horse ranch (and she's still a knockout). Granted, you won't get much time with A or B listers, but for others.... Once chatted with Worf and Jordy from Star Trek, along with the guy who plays Grumpy on Once Upon A Time, for a good half hour (he was next to them at the autograph tables). Fun bunch of guys.

It's nice to get to know them, even a little bit, as normal people. I thought my wife was going to be a star-struck little girl, but luckily, she kept her cool pretty well....well, at least until meeting Ian Somerhaulder....(Damion from Vampire Diaries).

If you're into this kind of thing, I'd highly recommend going to one (of the Conventions). Anyhow, didn't mean to sidetrack...my apologies. Carry on, hehe.......

Last edited:
boy,it would have been nice to meet the man,ever since I was a kid and saw star trek on tv,well cought in sci-fi ever since.
sometimes people tend to forget that they are human beings,not their favorite character 24/7
well we have a lady at my work doing like Sule,ever since she made up her mind that she's lesbian now

Yeah, at DragonCon last year (Sci-Fi convention in Atlanta). In person, he's actually a very quiet, soft-spoken guy...until he gets on a stage...then he's full on Kirk mode...hehe. Oddly enough, we actually passed each other in the hall the day before the photo. He remembered mostly because I just said "Hello Bill" and nodded. (he was trying to be incognito, and get from panel to panel during the convention). He was surprised I just said that, and didn't call him out to everyone, and he said it was good to feel like a normal human being for a change. My buddy caught it a few seconds later, and went, "Was that?......Shatner?" lol....

Sulu, on the other hand, is a stand on the soapbox kind of guy, always going on and on about gay rights, ever since coming out. That's fine and all, but man, don't beat us over the head with it, huh? Nice enough guy, just tends to ramble a bit. Some funny stories though, about costars trying to hook him up, while he was closeted.

That's what I like about that convention, lots of chances to just talk with folks you've seen in movies and on TV for years. I got to speak with Erin Gray (from Buck Rogers) for quite some time. Turns out she once owned a horse ranch (and she's still a knockout). Granted, you won't get much time with A or B listers, but for others.... Once chatted with Worf and Jordy from Star Trek, along with the guy who plays Grumpy on Once Upon A Time, for a good half hour (he was next to them at the autograph tables). Fun bunch of guys.

It's nice to get to know them, even a little bit, as normal people. I thought my wife was going to be a star-struck little girl, but luckily, she kept her cool pretty well....well, at least until meeting Ian Somerhaulder....(Damion from Vampire Diaries).

If you're into this kind of thing, I'd highly recommend going to one (of the Conventions). Anyhow, didn't mean to sidetrack...my apologies. Carry on, hehe.......
Sounds like a blast. Half of the crew I work with goes to atl. For dragon con every year. I think I'd enjoy it but seem to have too many things going on all the time.

boy,it would have been nice to meet the man,ever since I was a kid and saw star trek on tv,well cought in sci-fi ever since.
sometimes people tend to forget that they are human beings,not their favorite character 24/7
well we have a lady at my work doing like Sule,ever since she made up her mind that she's lesbian now
I'm pretty open minded about most things, but I do have a complaint. Why does everyone praise people for coming out, saying there so courageous and wonderful? I don't care what anyone else does, and I don't go around advertising that I'm attracted to feminine women. I don't think who you find sexually arousing has any business being publicly discussed, much less being praised by the president and his wife. I personally don't care who or what anyone sleeps with! Just my two cents worth, sorry!

been wondering abt that my self also,I don't care what my neighbours do

Why does everyone praise people for coming out, saying there so courageous and wonderful?

Back when it WAS actually brave (i.e. before the 2000's)...sure...but these days? There's no backlash these days, so yeah, no bravery involved. I'm a live and let live kind of guy...kinda have to be, my brother is gay, lol....and my kids are both bi (or at least they say they are....but so far, I've only every seen each with the opposite sex).

Me? I'm more old fashioned classic hetero....(though hey, I'm all for bi women!) >:)

Latest posts

Back