This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought distilling water was the best way of cleaning water...I suppose I can boil it..what is best way?
There are too many different ways to make your own water. Only to use pollen filters on the intakes and cover the tanks to keep dust and bugs out. Most important!! Simply learn the idea of getting water out of the air with any means, glass, metal, nets, plastic, and then make the system you can afford, use and repair yourself. Here is a PDF from my collection and some videos from youtube for learning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksOr7lX_RVU

Attachments

• water.pdf
    1.1 MB
Yes, I paid for the water book PDF, yes it was not supposed to be re-circulated, yes I know it was or is illegal to give it away for free to other folks...BUT...that was before BIDUMP and Co. decided it was OK to do wrong things to good people....SOOOOO, here is my answer to doing wrong things to good people and giving an e-book away free. Read and enjoy folks. Gary

PS: if anybody knows who is mad at me for giving the book away...tell them I live near the Ukrainian warzone and they can come look for me and try to get their money back...:D:D:D :p :p

Yes, I paid for the water book PDF, yes it was not supposed to be re-circulated, yes I know it was or is illegal to give it away for free to other folks...BUT...that was before BIDUMP and Co. decided it was OK to do wrong things to good people....SOOOOO, here is my answer to doing wrong things to good people and giving an e-book away free. Read and enjoy folks. Gary

PS: if anybody knows who is mad at me for giving the book away...tell them I live near the Ukrainian warzone and they can come look for me and try to get their money back...:D:D:D :p :p
Much appreciated! 😊
You're a good man! Thank you!

I see many videos of growing potatoes in buckets. I haven't had much luck but I have never used real seed potatoes just old potatoes that had grown sprouts in the pantry.

How do you guys grow your potatoes?

I grow mine in big plastic tubs. Like the ones at Walmart with rope handles. They work pretty well. Mine were planted a couple weeks ago and are about 3 inches above soil, so I need to get out there tomorrow and put more soil on top of them. They are under lights in the greenhouse. Be sure and add potash as well as Bone Meal in the dirt when planting.

in the past I have grown potatoes in tyre towers-3 tyres high.
last year I grew them in a big plastic pot and had good results, this year I will be growing double the amount I did last year.
dont bother with seed potatoes, I use any left over store potatoes.

We planted the white and red onions, garlic, sweet peas and parsnips back in November. They go deeper than normal, so as not to freeze but get to grow good roots and wait for the first rays of sun already in Feb. They are all about 4-5 inches tall already.

My onion plants are being snowed on as I type. They were just planted so are still beneath the soil. Yay! Sweet peas are still in the greenhouse and doing fabulous. Like yours, 4‘ tall. Beets are up in the greenhouse…yep I’m replanting them next week in the garden. They are in peat pots so crossing my fingers 🤞 it works! If not, will plant seeds right away outside. Potatoes are all up in my tubs,,,which will be moved outside soon too.

in the past I have grown potatoes in tyre towers-3 tyres high.
last year I grew them in a big plastic pot and had good results, this year I will be growing double the amount I did last year.
dont bother with seed potatoes, I use any left over store potatoes.

I’ve planted seed potatoes as well as store bought ORGANIC potatoes and had the organic ones perform better.

Everyone needs to be growing double what they did last year!

The only things we do not sow from seeds are the onions, garlic and potatos. We have done leeks, spring onions, carrots, broccoli, eggplant, sweet corn, dill and basil, watermelons, squash, cucumbers, pickles and bell peppers from seeds.
Just gave my plastic greenhouse away, have a wooden one now.

Just got my first estimate on fencing. The man agreed that may back property is boulder city and a f3nce old be astronomical since you have to pay for the jack to destroy my beautiful rocks. The really are lovely.

He said they can't even quote chain link with calling because the price of steel is changing daily.

Question,..... is it worth paying extra for a strand of barbed wire across the top? It would keep out some people I think and maybe help keep Leon in.

Comments please.

Hard to say with out knowing your property.
1 or 2 strands are usually put on top of 4x4 wire cattle fence. This is what I have the most of. Would not be good for keeping dogs separated.
2x4 horse fence would keep dogs separate. This is what I have been gradually replacing it with. 4ft for Pastures, 5 ft on perimeter. Bobcats can climb it.
Chain link is the most expensive option. T post and wire may suffice.
Having a strand of barb on top may have unintended consequences. I had a deer hung up in the barb. Twisted around enough that the foot was hanging by a thread. I had to put her down.

Have you considered a electric fence with strands 100 mm apart this could be cost effective, my dogs only touched it once , never tried to get through after that, I had a 21 strand on a 5 acre plot using I think 2.1 mm galvanized wire , killed the grass both sides by 1 mt as a fire break , used to cut with the tractor all the grass in Autumn as a bigger fire break Also put the fence 1 mt onto my property so that I had access on both sides so that neighbors could not stop me from access, just an idea , no knowing your property

Have you considered a electric fence with strands 100 mm apart this could be cost effective, my dogs only touched it once , never tried to get through after that,
Neighbor's dog peed on their electric fence.
MVJ0L4L.gif

I have not because my friend had one and the dog figured out that if you run really fast you can get through with minimal discomfort. I put the vibrating collar on Leon and he just blows it off. Leon is crazy.
Leon looks are large dog ( in the Pic ) , if possible check the distance between the wires on your friends fence (100 mm or less is good ) , if it is possible take Leon to that fence , somebody hold Leon , wet him first ( not the person holding Leon :sucks:), you get the other side then call him to you , that could cure him against trying to get through any fence , my wife did that to one our dogs , never went near the fence again , it is not really cruel , but can be emotional to see ,

I bought a cheap tool kit from the cheap tool place to put in my bug out trailer. 30 bucks. Looked to have what I would want in a emergency
Saves me having to remember to throw some good tools in.
Even using it as a horse trailer, I will be happy to have some tools in it.

Yard sales are a good place to pick up tools too. Especially when the wife is really mad at the husband about the divorce settlement.

you'll run across the car mechanic or the contractor selling off his wore out junk on a regular basis >> what you want to find at the garage sale among the kid's toys & household stuff - grandpa's or father-in-law's old tools - box shoved under the tables that you barely can move - the son doesn't have any use for tools - could be anything from old Craftsman to Starret machinist tool sets ...

trouble with every yard type sale I've ever been to is the big box of rusty tools they think someone will buy, I've got better tools than that in my shed.

Latest posts

Back