This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found just buying a chain is hard. You start with 16" then you have 54, 56, 58 etc. Then you have a y54, y56,y58 or s54, s56, s58.

When I bought my first replacement chain, it was a 16", y54 and it was too short. I thought 16" meant 16". Then I bought a 16" y58 and it was way to long. Finally got a 16" y56 and it fit. I read about the spacing on the teeth, but 16" should be 16". IMO
Sharpening a saw chain is easy. There should be marks on each tooth to use as a guide. On my large falling saws I used skip tooth chains, they have half the teeth, so half the time to sharpen. Only problem is they tend to kick back a little more. Not sure if they're available on the smaller chains.

Im throwing out a challenge to everyone to post what they do for prepping. I know time and money can limit what people can get done. Even one thing a week, no matter how small gets you one step closer to your goals. Over the next year this should be a huge thread and all of us should have 50 projects done.

This week my son and I picked up 700 223 brass and 800 40cal brass to reload. Cost was nothing but an hours time. Now the work starts to prepare it to reload and locate bullets.

What have you accomplished this week?
Got some oxygen absorbers to start long term dry goods supply. Getting going on a back yard garden I hope sets up well this year, and booms the next! Lots of chip, bark, and ash. Looking to source fresh manure of any type. Trying to make local sourcing and trading connections with out Facebook. Pretty email dependent atm. tips welcome! [email protected]

Got some oxygen absorbers to start long term dry goods supply. Getting going on a back yard garden I hope sets up well this year, and booms the next! Lots of chip, bark, and ash. Looking to source fresh manure of any type. Trying to make local sourcing and trading connections with out Facebook. Pretty email dependent atm. tips welcome! [email protected]

not fresh manure - for a few reasons - but mainly because it'll burn the crap out of the garden - need to find Farmer Brown's "back of the barn" dump pile .....

Excellent point! I'm all about the compost!
If you can find it, or raise your own, you can put rabbit manure directly on your garden. Everytime we clean out the coop we put it directly around the fruit trees and the berry plants. Its mostly pine shavings. When I clean the cow manure out of the corral I dump it in a pile in the garden and eventually till it in. I personally don't like using horse manure because they pass grass and weed seeds through their system.

If you can find it, or raise your own, you can put rabbit manure directly on your garden. Everytime we clean out the coop we put it directly around the fruit trees and the berry plants. Its mostly pine shavings. When I clean the cow manure out of the corral I dump it in a pile in the garden and eventually till it in. I personally don't like using horse manure because they pass grass and weed seeds through their system.
horse manure is pretty much all you can get around here, oh and chicken manure.

I'm dehydrating some more oranges. I can eat them a lot faster than it takes to dehydrate them. After the oranges, I have a bag of pink grapefruit to dehydrate too, the grapefruit isn't as sweet, but I still enjoy the crunch.

Thats something I need to do more of since I already have the dehydrator for making beef jerky.

Our water plan.....
We signed up for home delivery of Ozarka water.
I'm sure everyone has seen the 5 gallon jugs and the dispenser.
We overbought for several months and then went to what we could drink in a months time.
We now have 30 five gallon bottles of water that we rotate to keep it fresh.
We also have a salt water swimming pool for washing and flushing the toilet. In a pinch you could filter it and drink it.

I am being quoted for 5'. 4' would not keep Leon in. His legs are so long.
If you want something a lot cheaper get a shock collar with a hand held remote on it. There aren’t many dogs that don’t improve their manners really quickly with them. Tractor supply or Amazon has them.

I mat be wrong but dont salt water have to be distilled??

Not in this case.
There's actually very little salt in a saltwater pool.
As the water passes through a cell the electricity briefly turns the saltwater into a type of chlorine and then reverts back to lightly salted water.
As in less than a teaspoon per gallon. It actually matches the the PH in your body so no more red eyes,green hair and dry skin.
The other plus is I have 3 or 4 20 lb bags of salt i can use other ways.

If you want something a lot cheaper get a shock collar with a hand held remote on it. There aren’t many dogs that don’t improve their manners really quickly with them. Tractor supply or Amazon has them.
I have one Brent. I've used the vibrate mode on Leon but it didn't work. Turn the shock on 2 and put it on me and I almost peed my pants. I've been afraid to try it on him.

Picked up another 10 boxes of .22 ammo, some layer feed, game bird starter, several bales of pine shavings and dog food. Gas was $4.59, took $115 to fill my truck. Thanks Biden voters, jerks.
Maybe I got come up your way. Last time I was possibly close was picking my dog up in McCall a few years ago. Last time I went to OR, things were dismal for my shopping needs. 5.89 for diesel for me here.

Picked up another 10 boxes of .22 ammo, some layer feed, game bird starter, several bales of pine shavings and dog food. Gas was $4.59, took $115 to fill my truck. Thanks Biden voters, jerks.

I here ya on the gas.
It's $150 bucks to fill up my Tundra!!
277A0DDD-3203-425B-892C-CAC22C87F170.jpeg

I have a Ruger 10/22 but I havent shot it in years.
I need to get some ammo for it for sure,I wouldnt use it if it came to a gun fight so it's kinda been on the back burner.

I know time and money can limit what people can get done. Even one thing a week, no matter how small gets you one step closer to your goals.
I have to remind myself of this constantly. It's easy to get disheartened reading about the preps and knowledge some of you have. Some members attitudes are a bit overwhelming at times but I know they mean well.
Money (and kids) are my biggest restrictions. There're Kiwi DINKs with incomes 7x mine complaining they don't have a "comfortable" life 🙄 oh well.

This week I...
• did a bulk food shop adding a couple hundred kilos to the stockpile. Trying to keep everything in balance so it can be made into edible meals. Balancing calories, nutrition, flavor
• started working on a food and medicine garden
• pre-ordered some dwarf fruit trees
• stocked up on medical supplies
• ordered some more how to books
• updated the go bags
• updated my list; have done/need to do, and have/need to get. Helps me focus on progress and stay on track

Things are going downhill fast here in NZ. It's going to be an interesting year (or few) to put it politely.

@Kiwichick you can do what you can do. I know I couldn’t do what I do now back when the kiddos were around. Most of us are from my era.
Do what’s best for you for and yours.

I have to remind myself of this constantly. It's easy to get disheartened reading about the preps and knowledge some of you have. Some members attitudes are a bit overwhelming at times but I know they mean well.
Money (and kids) are my biggest restrictions. There're Kiwi DINKs with incomes 7x mine complaining they don't have a "comfortable" life 🙄 oh well.

This week I...
• did a bulk food shop adding a couple hundred kilos to the stockpile. Trying to keep everything in balance so it can be made into edible meals. Balancing calories, nutrition, flavor
• started working on a food and medicine garden
• pre-ordered some dwarf fruit trees
• stocked up on medical supplies
• ordered some more how to books
• updated the go bags
• updated my list; have done/need to do, and have/need to get. Helps me focus on progress and stay on track

Things are going downhill fast here in NZ. It's going to be an interesting year (or few) to put it politely.

Sounds like you have things well in hand.

Latest posts

Back