This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roundup doesn’t alway work on woody stems. I’ve been fighting poison hemlock for 2 years. If they get too big roundup doesn't work. Next step is Triclopyr. Some other types of brush killer already has it in.
They make a Roundup for poison ivy. It works...a little too well! Killed three oak trees along with the poison ivy.

They make a Roundup for poison ivy. It works...a little too well! Killed three oak trees along with the poison ivy.
I used to sell garden chemicals. What’s the ingredient after Glyphosate? Triclopyr.
You can a much higher concentrate of Glyphosate by not buying the brand name of Roundup.
2BAF6CCA-95C5-4D7A-9636-0BCBE7FEE72B.png

I used to sell garden chemicals. What’s the ingredient after Glyphosate? Triclopyr.
You can a much higher concentrate of Glyphosate by not buying the brand name of Roundup.
View attachment 15690
I agree brand name dosen’t mean anything to me. I’ve never used chemicals yet so don’t know anything about them but will do some research before buying. I will also likely wear a respirator and some protective clothing to when spraying.

Brent, I swear I don't think he feels pain. I kept going up and up and he didn't flinch.
Yeah, something isn’t working there robin. I’ve seen big tough dogs drop and howl in agony from the shock. It’s either not making contact or something there.

I agree brand name dosen’t mean anything to me. I’ve never used chemicals yet so don’t know anything about them but will do some research before buying. I will also likely wear a respirator and some protective clothing to when spraying.
I have a large parking gravel parking area between the house and barn. I would never be able to keep it clear without my 40 gallon sprayer and chemical help. I have used 80 gallons so far this year and will mix up another tank in about a month.
My wife with 9 letters after her name say the science that is winning lawsuits against Glyphosate is flawed, but they just have juries scared.
I wear a N95 and clean up after I am done.

I have a large parking gravel parking area between the house and barn. I would never be able to keep it clear without my 40 gallon sprayer and chemical help. I have used 80 gallons so far this year and will mix up another tank in about a month.
My wife with 9 letters after her name say the science that is winning lawsuits against Glyphosate is flawed, but they just have juries scared.
I wear a N95 and clean up after I am done.
In your case I see no problem with chemicals but I was trying to do my best against using them in my vegetable patch….

In your case I see no problem with chemicals but I was trying to do my best against using them in my vegetable patch….
if I recall Glyphosate has a 60 day residual. My driveway says more like 30.
I am not sure at all on residual of Triclopyr.

if I recall Glyphosate has a 60 day residual. My driveway says more like 30.
I am not sure at all on residual of Triclopyr.
If there is even the chance of a 60 day residual then my outside garden is likely a bust this year as that will put me a bit late to start planting here. I’ve thought of instead of spraying about using a brush and applying it to each individual shoot from the stickers. Will take a bit more effort but won’t saturate the soil with poison at least.

The wife and I just drove down south to pick up a load of fruit trees, black berry plants and grape plants. Who knew that its illegal to buy grape plants in my state? So we had to drive to the next state over to get some grape plants. Stupid law.
One way to keep the Californication out! No wineries, no Californians!

The wife and I just drove down south to pick up a load of fruit trees, black berry plants and grape plants. Who knew that its illegal to buy grape plants in my state? So we had to drive to the next state over to get some grape plants. Stupid law.
Why in the world would grape vines be illegal there? I just took a bunch of cuttings from my best grapevines to propagate them. Muscadine grapes grow like weeds here with almost no care at all.

Hi guys. Just a Quick prepping question. I have heard so many different stories on pasta. Doen is really Last up to 20 years?
Since a lot of pasta has egg in it I would be suspect on that, even though I’ve read it can. But storage is everything when calculating the shelf life of something. Cool, dry and dark with oxygen absorbers in it can make things last a lot longer. I really don’t focus on how long something can last but have focused on being able to produce more myself along the way. A long term pantry is great but being able to supplement your food stocks with fresh things from the garden not only tastes better but has more nutrients too. And home canning goes along with growing a garden. That way you can have relatively fresh stuff all year long and never have to worry about running out.

Yeah, something isn’t working there robin. I’ve seen big tough dogs drop and howl in agony from the shock. It’s either not making contact or something there.
I'm sure lots of his situation is caused by not getting enough exercise. The Pool is closed and the fence hasn't been built. I put him outside while I work, but the line is only 15 or so feet long. Hoping we get the fence really soon and can open the pool in a few weeks.

You can get salt in large bags (20Kg) at swimming pool suppliers. But make sure you read the content label to make sure it is pure Sodium Chloride and doesn't have other additives in it.

Probably a silly question…I see some swimming pool salt that states 100% Sodium Chloride, which I know is what I want, but don’t understand why they have it labeled
Hi guys. Just a Quick prepping question. I have heard so many different stories on pasta. Doen is really Last up to 20 years?

Yes, pasta stored properly…in an air free environment without moisture will last for 20 or more years. Some folks put it in canning jars. That is far too expensive for most with todays price of jars. Others use Mylar Bags, which work well.

Probably a silly question…I see some swimming pool salt that states 100% Sodium Chloride, which I know is what I want, but don’t understand why they have it labeled

There is a possibility that Pool Salt may be mixed with other chemicals, or that they may use another salt (ie Pottasium Chloride).
Why they would do this I don't know.

Also there would be an Occupational Health and Safety reason to label it.

best pasta to store is spaghetti strand - approx 32lbs into a 5 gallon bucket - just need to take extra steps to prevent punctures to the mylar bagging .....

From what I gather, it's not illegal per se, but highly regulated requiring inspections that may prevent it from being economical for nurseries to cut through all the red tape.

What type of grape vines did you pick up? I have put a variety in our vineyard and like any other plant, some have done really well, have lost a few and others are doing ok. So I’ve replaced the ones that were not producing well with the type that does. Why waste the space, eh?

If there is even the chance of a 60 day residual then my outside garden is likely a bust this year as that will put me a bit late to start planting here. I’ve thought of instead of spraying about using a brush and applying it to each individual shoot from the stickers. Will take a bit more effort but won’t saturate the soil with poison at least.

Brent they manufacture what is called a rope wick sprayer which has a rope that gets saturated and you swipe it across the leaves instead of on your soil just a more selective way of applying. Here are a couple of examples.

I keep a small mason jar of brush killer and a small paint brush for things that pop up unwanted and try to catch them young when they are more vulnerable. If it is poison ivy try not to get it on your trees or shrubs.

25218_2.jpg

weed-wiper-4.jpg

Brent they manufacture what is called a rope wick sprayer which has a rope that gets saturated and you swipe it across the leaves instead of on your soil just a more selective way of applying. Here are a couple of examples.

I keep a small mason jar of brush killer and a small paint brush for things that pop up unwanted and try to catch them young when they are more vulnerable. If it is poison ivy try not to get it on your trees or shrubs.

25218_2.jpg

weed-wiper-4.jpg
Great ideas!

What type of grape vines did you pick up? I have put a variety in our vineyard and like any other plant, some have done really well, have lost a few and others are doing ok. So I’ve replaced the ones that were not producing well with the type that does. Why waste the space, eh?
The grapes we got were Vanessa, Canadice, and Suffolk Red. I've been trying to find Concord for several years now without success. Got a couple varieties of thornless blackberries and 10 fruit trees; a couple varieties of apple, plum, cherry and fig.

What’s the ingredient after Glyphosate?
The main ingredient to Glyphosate is the second most cancer causing chemical since DIOXENE: do not use it anywhere you live. From WIKIPEDIA::

While glyphosate and formulations such as Roundup have been approved by regulatory bodies worldwide, concerns about their effects on humans and the environment have persisted.[7][8] A number of regulatory and scholarly reviews have evaluated the relative toxicity of glyphosate as an herbicide. The German Federal Institute for Risk Assessment toxicology review in 2013 found that with regard to positive correlations between exposure to glyphosate formulations and risk of various cancers, including non-Hodgkin lymphoma "the available data is contradictory and far from being convincing".[9] A meta-analysis published in 2014 identified an increased risk of NHL in workers exposed to glyphosate formulations.[10]

In March 2015, the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classified glyphosate as "probably carcinogenic in humans" (category 2A) based on epidemiological studies, animal studies, and in vitro studies.[8][11][12][13] In contrast, the European Food Safety Authority concluded in November 2015 that "the substance is unlikely to be genotoxic (i.e. damaging to DNA) or to pose a carcinogenic threat to humans", later clarifying that while carcinogenic glyphosate-containing formulations may exist, studies "that look solely at the active substance glyphosate do not show this effect."[14][15] The WHO and FAO Joint committee on pesticide residues issued a report in 2016 stating the use of glyphosate formulations does not necessarily constitute a health risk, and giving an acceptable daily intake limit of 1 milligram per kilogram of body weight per day for chronic toxicity.[16] The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) classified glyphosate as causing serious eye damage and as toxic to aquatic life, but did not find evidence implicating it as a carcinogen, a mutagen, toxic to reproduction, nor toxic to specific organs.[17]

The same people (WHO, EFSA AND ECA) who decided glyphosate is NOT CANCEROUS are the same ones who told us to wear MASKS; TAKE CLOT SHOTS AND THAT IVERMECTIN AND CDS are not good against covid.....Make your own decisions. GARY

Latest posts

Back