This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s the ingredient after Glyphosate? Triclopyr.
SOMETHING ELSE ALSO, if you look at the label on the bottle you can see that 80% "OTHER INGREDIENTS" is posted. That means what?? The rest is a company secret...just like Coka Cola, Pepsi or the spices for KFC...the only problem is that since it is NOT sold as a foodstuff; the company does not have to disclose what the other 80% really is to the public, FOR WHATEVER REASONS.....

How long did it take for them to start producing?

It only took about 6 months amazingly! Was going to crop them back for winter as I don’t keep the greenhouse all that warm, but ended up not doing it and I am so glad. My daughter has some in her house that produce really well!

Two lemon trees are recommended for good production.

Last edited:
The grapes we got were Vanessa, Canadice, and Suffolk Red. I've been trying to find Concord for several years now without success. Got a couple varieties of thornless blackberries and 10 fruit trees; a couple varieties of apple, plum, cherry and fig.

You guys did GREAT!! Fruit trees and bushes are so enjoyable! My Concords I put in a few years ago produce the most delicious grapes! A lot of them too. Better producers than any of my wine grapes. Have been considering adding Figs to the orchard.

You guys did GREAT!! Fruit trees and bushes are so enjoyable! My Concords I put in a few years ago produce the most delicious grapes! A lot of them too. Better producers than any of my wine grapes. Have been considering adding Figs to the orchard.
The nursery where we bought the trees also makes greenhouses. The wife ordered one for next year. It'll be an 8×10 one. Big enough for us.

I found 2 decent looking seedless Concord grapes at Walmart of all places. We do have one huge vine growing that produced well last year. I made 50 plus qts of grapejuice (canned), and that is a seeded red grape variety. We have four holes dug for 2 peach and 2 pear trees that I bought at Tractor S sitting in the greenhouse. The weather is still a bit off and on here. Baby fowl in the dining room at the moment in brooders: 8 Toulouse goslings, 2 turkeys, and 2 chickens. Bad hatch on the turkeys this time, but I have another incubator with 15 in it, so we'll see the next hatch.

I found 2 decent looking seedless Concord grapes at Walmart of all places. We do have one huge vine growing that produced well last year. I made 50 plus qts of grapejuice (canned), and that is a seeded red grape variety. We have four holes dug for 2 peach and 2 pear trees that I bought at Tractor S sitting in the greenhouse. The weather is still a bit off and on here. Baby fowl in the dining room at the moment in brooders: 8 Toulouse goslings, 2 turkeys, and 2 chickens. Bad hatch on the turkeys this time, but I have another incubator with 15 in it, so we'll see the next hatch.

Nice find on the Concord grapes! We have made grape juice as well as canning a bunch of Jam. With this really cold spell I moved my chicks into the Guesthouse. It was the best way to not have to heat the greenhouse. What incubator do you recommend? While I don’t have a rooster, yet, I want to be prepared for when it is necessary to get one. There are numerous folks close by I will be able to get one from. But I feel the timing is NOW to get an incubator.

I have a Brinsea hexagon, holds about 20 eggs is all, you have to rotate the unit yourself three times a day. I like it so much, I got another one for my bday a few weeks ago. Thinking I'll use one for strictly chicken eggs and one for turkey eggs. Hopefully these goslings will do well and next year I can do goose eggs, too.
If you incubate, remember that you'll most likely get half roosters. Do you butcher? We use the excess roosters as meat for ourselves. The legs are muscular, so that meat is for the dogs. We keep the breasts for ourselves. We raise larger breed chickens...Americauna, Easter Egger, Jersey Giant

I have a Brinsea hexagon, holds about 20 eggs is all, you have to rotate the unit yourself three times a day. I like it so much, I got another one for my bday a few weeks ago. Thinking I'll use one for strictly chicken eggs and one for turkey eggs. Hopefully these goslings will do well and next year I can do goose eggs, too.
If you incubate, remember that you'll most likely get half roosters. Do you butcher? We use the excess roosters as meat for ourselves. The legs are muscular, so that meat is for the dogs. We keep the breasts for ourselves. We raise larger breed chickens...Americauna, Easter Egger, Jersey Giant

Thank you for the advice! Will search for a Brinsea hexagon incubator. I’ve butchered a couple more recently. It wasn’t hard, but will take getting used to. I was raised culling different animals so I have that advantage that many don’t. I’m picking up some Barred Rock chicks today for the propose of dual use birds. Picked up some ISA Browns last week…but they are not meat birds at all. Great layers though! My son has some meat birds ordered (Cornish Cross) so we are going to split those come harvest time.

The grapes we got were Vanessa, Canadice, and Suffolk Red. I've been trying to find Concord for several years now without success. Got a couple varieties of thornless blackberries and 10 fruit trees; a couple varieties of apple, plum, cherry and fig.
Wish you were closer, I have about ten mature Concorde vines I’ve been trying to give away for a while. I’m going to end up just pulling them up and discarding them to make room for the muscadine that produce more and make better wines.

Hi guys. Just a Quick prepping question. I have heard so many different stories on pasta. Doen is really Last up to 20 years?
It is supposed to if you pack it in Mylar with oxygen absorbers. I just ate a 2015 box I missed fronting on the shelf about a week ago. It was fine and I'm not dead yet.

I picked up a couple of flint rocks up from out of the yard and using my steel striker started a fire a short time ago . This I learned as a survival skill but still do occasionally as a hobby . When I first started learning this skill it might take me around a hour to start a fire but now I can usually get a fire in about 2 minutes .

Cutting and splitting wood..

Woody.jpg

Planted a fig tree at the BOL. The cutting came from my sister's fig tree which she got when she bought my parents' house, so that one used to be our fig tree when I was growing up. My mother got the cutting for that fig tree from my grandmother's fig tree.
So the fig tree is like a living family herloom, LOL.

I don't store diesel, only unleaded petrol, which is why I've never used stabilizers.
I have 10 army canisters of 20 liters and I really fill them up, I had already poured 8 year old petrol into my car and no problems.
Right now I'm rolling the old one around a bit and tossing it in my car and getting new gas, actually the bearing is for the generator rather than the car.
I still have 4 canisters of 20 liters made of plastic, in which I keep petrol for a maximum of 2 years, one judges that the things give off vapors through the plastic.

Just move about 2,000 miles west.
Am going to do just that, but just for a vacation. Am going to visit the Grand Canyon and a lot of the landmarks out there and up into Yellowstone. Will do about a 6 week camping trip that’s always been on the bucket list.

We just go some strawberries planted and the "she" decided it was too much work weeding the flower garden and so after doing the weeding, I just spread grass seed out to close the holes in the garden where the weeds come up. We should have a "garden" with veggies, a "garden" with flowers and grass, and a "garden" with only grass where we walk around and the dog can run. (why do it easy, when you can make it complicated!!)

Getting a good test of our short term backup power system. Power has been out for about 9 hours. The battery bank is at 12.5 v. It got down to 12.2 v when all the fridge and freezer compressors were running simultaneously, then went back up. We aren't really using much power right now. Lights we're using are all battery powered and we're using the gas stove for cooking and making coffee. Cool enough that we don't even need fans so I think we could go another 9 hours without the genny, but the power company is promising restoration within the next two hours.

They pushed back the restoration time to 2:00 so I got tired of waiting around and went shopping for a new UPS for the computer. The last outage killed it completely and it doesn't have enough power to do a safe shutdown anymore. Their biggest one was on sale so I jumped on that. When I get time I'll take the battery in from the old one and replace it, but now I have a BIG ARSE battery backup for the computer. Since the power went out several hours before I woke up, every UPS in the house ran down to zero battery. I usually shut them all down in a power outage.

Anywho...When I got back it was 2:15 and the power was still off.
I said "Well, it's 2:00..." and the INSTANT that came out of my mouth, the lights came back on, LOL!

I think my wife might be buying in. A couple weeks ago she researched butter supply long term. 6 cans of butter showed up.
Told her what I thought about poultry and egg supply. 6 cans of powdered eggs showed up.
Its been nice being right the past 2 years, just wish I wasn’t right.

I think my wife might be buying in. A couple weeks ago she researched butter supply long term. 6 cans of butter showed up.
Told her what I thought about poultry and egg supply. 6 cans of powdered eggs showed up.
Its been nice being right the past 2 years, just wish I wasn’t right.

It has to be a mixed feeling, being right after so long and at times negative feelings. Happy she is coming around! I have cans of butter too…as well as a bunch I canned myself. Just ordered a Butter Churn. So excited to try it out!!

Latest posts

Back