This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought 2 Hamlin sweet orange, 2 improved meyer lemon, 1 washington navel orange, 2 blueberry trees to add to my existing trees.

Oranges sound like a grand thing to add! I’ve got 2 lemon trees in the greenhouse doing really well. The one already had buds all over it! Think I will see if I can find a couple of orange trees too. Picked up 4 blueberry bushes that I need to get into the ground along with the Hazelnut trees I bought. Just finished trimming the orchard trees and will spray tomorrow...then move onto the vineyard. Lots of work already!

Our apricot tree is sick and has not produced in years, but, Helena does not want to cut it down even tho it was inhabited from large black ants till last year and I got rid of them...soooo, we just planted some climbing roses directly next to it and they are "supposed" to climb it, wrap around it, decorate it and kinda like use it for a skeleton to get pretty again, just with roses and not apricots...:D

Our apricot tree is sick and has not produced in years, but, Helena does not want to cut it down even tho it was inhabited from large black ants till last year and I got rid of them...soooo, we just planted some climbing roses directly next to it and they are "supposed" to climb it, wrap around it, decorate it and kinda like use it for a skeleton to get pretty again, just with roses and not apricots...:D
I had some plumbs that hadn’t be trimmed in 20 years. We trimmed back and they started to produce.
the similarities are the ants and the woodpeckers going after them.
There Maybe hope for those apricots.

Went shopping again today, filled the gas tank on the car, got more de-caf coffee and bought another full propane gas tank for mobile cooking or heating. Got out one of my portable active charcoal water filters and showed the wife how it works. Got out one of the alcohol heater/stove cooker and showed her how it works and made a cup of coffee in only 4 minutes with it. Re-positioned my First Aid cabinet in the garage back onto my new, heavier and thicker door on the garage. Sharpened my 24 year old Scythe after sanding the wooden handle and oiling it against ageing. I can cut the grass without a mower and gasoline with that old thing, most people do not know how to use one. Live free, Gary

Sharpened my 24 year old Scythe after sanding the wooden handle and oiling it against ageing

We recently found a Scythe to purchase. Hubby has to sharpen it yet, but it is in fine shape. Looking for at least one more. Ya never know if we are going to have to grow wheat and oats. Must have at least a manual way of harvesting it.

Im just sitting here with my cup of coffee watching it rain and started to think about this weird weather, fertilizer shortages, supply chain issues and boom, hydroponics could be the solution, readily available liquid fertilizer, fast growth time and could be grown indoors with led grow lights to speed growth time. My daughter has a small setup over in the corner of my shop that was an Ag project her sophomore year of high school. I think I will go get it cleaned up and going again, if nothing else I’m sure the chickens will love the extra greens.

I have these in case I run out of fuel or all 3 of my chainsaws are broken.

20220227_103155.jpg

Was now just Carabiner digging gone, whether that still brings something I see when it bangs here.

Yes, thank you.. I will pm you tomorrow, then give you a call. I would greatly appreciate that. I will bring some goodies.
Keeping them well oiled after sharpening, and you are golden. This comes from a guy that caught a soft piece of wood in a lumberjack buck saw contest and held the backsaw record for 5 years.

Latest posts

Back