This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Volvo holds 55 liters, I will be filling my cannisters at night with a card when nobody is looking and get about 75 liters together in the garage.
Think of the truckers: they need about 25 liters to drive 60 miles and that is while they drive 500 miles A DAY!!!!

Bought a bunch of seed potatoes and in the process of planting them. Keeping others for a second planting shortly. Went to the country co-op and bought some of what I need. They didn’t have much, but will get more in hopefully by weeks end.

Bought some additional containers for my seed packets to organize them. Plastic shoe boxes with lids and dividers I made. I have 10 boxes filled so far. Bulk seeds I store in large glass jars. Many of those need fresh seeds according to my seed viability chart.

The wife picked up several more cases of canning jars and lids. And I bought several boxes of .22 ammo and more fishing gear. This is pretty much the same every time we go to shopping down south. On the way home we drove up to a couple lakes to see if they had any open water for fishing yet. Nope. Still froze over. We're still a month away from having open water even in the low elevation lakes.
We have a new knife maker in town. I left him my beaver skinner knife to have him make me a new one. He uses a sanmai (sp) method in making his blades.

Your .380 is the absolute last ditch gun for home defense, everydaycarry and will only piss someone off if they are big enough. You must get the best possible ammo for it. Silver tips are minimum, glaser safety slugs if available and even pellet nose. Put a normal slug first to get through a window of the car if you are being attempted hijacking, have the backup ammo in badass stuff. A spare mag is needed as it only carries 6-8 rounds. If you like small but bad pistols, look for a .32 in magnum. Hits harder than a .38 but does not have the kick on your firing hand so you can get a second round on target FASTER.
If you are good with a rifle, look for a short 30-30 lever action. Does not have the stopping power as really needed but for short distance, with prepared rounds(pre-drilled for hollow points) short enough for in-the-house-use and not a bad kick, you could be happy with it. A lever action is faster than a bolt action and has less problems with loading failures due to the type of ejection of spent rounds.
If you do go looking for a .22 pistol, try to get your hands on a .22 mag that can also handle yellow jackets-hollow points, normal .22 and even .22 shorts for close ups on rats and rodents. A .22 in magnum is devastating from close distance to anything, but will not do anything to a ballistic vest or such. You always aim above the neckline and always practice at face and headshots. Sorry for the truth but you are on a deadly journey with little time for bad lessons and lots of fun if done well with a good trainer beside you.
The rest of your "fun-run" and the stuff you bought--shows you are on the right track!! Live free, Gary
When we went to get our carry permits, they wouldn't let someone use a 380. Said they needed something better to shoot a paper target. 😁

Years ago bought seed potatoes, I got the eye and maybe a thimble of potato, do not remember planting recommendaction but you don’t need much if soil is warm and moist

general rule with seed potatoes is "three" - a single good bud start and two smaller buds will do >>> only controversy is with the matter of allowing a dry skin or a direct plant - you can hear it both ways

general rule with seed potatoes is "three" - a single good bud start and two smaller buds will do >>> only controversy is with the matter of allowing a dry skin or a direct plant - you can hear it both ways

Recently watched a video where the grower really did produce a ton of potatoes. Their theory? Only allow 2 bud starts on each potato to get maximum yield. I’ve just planted some that way. We will see.

Recently watched a video where the grower really did produce a ton of potatoes. Their theory? Only allow 2 bud starts on each potato to get maximum yield. I’ve just planted some that way. We will see.

some of those retail bags of seed potatoes are just "hairy" as hell - get a couple of those soon to be roots on a potato chunk and you're all set

Ordered some extra plant starter/grower light bulbs. The box stores don't carry them anymore. They have plant bulbs, but they are just the blue lights that make your plants look nicer. I made the mistake of buying these a few years ago.

I want them the sprout and grow, not look pretty. I also don't want the strip florescent type. I like the screw in type.

This is only my second year of trying to grow a garden. The parsnips we planted last spring did not come up. The neighbors say that parsnips are a "diva" plant and are particular as to how they grow and where. We were told to plant in Nov. deeper than normal and let them cumulate all winter, get good roots and hope for the best. We are paying about $4 a lb. for garlic and parsnips here!! We use a lot of onions, garlic and parsnips for cooking our favorite dishes and they are expensive here.

I cut the potatoes then shake them in wood ash and plant. A great grandfathers trick

I cut the potatoes then shake them in wood ash and plant. A great grandfathers trick

What a fabulous idea! Never thought of that, but it makes sense. Instead of buying potash and fertilizer for phosphate, use wood ash. This is the most helpful advice to help replace some fertilizers that I regularly use! Thank you!!

Joined the USCCA and started their online stuff. Bought a new sub-compact firearm for better conceal carry and a holster for said-firearm. Pulled some cash for reserve in case SHTF locally with rising costs, far fewer grocery items and the accompanying social discord. Next steps may involve additional firearm training and shoring up food stores a bit more.

Back