This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brought 3 more 24 hr rat packs French and English, ordered a hurricane style lamp ( gas) a tourniquet oh and isotonic powder drinks. Got to get more tins and dry foods in

Bought a few cases of 30 year storage life supplies from the Church of latter day saints...............really just wanted to check out the distribution center. They were friendly and very well organized. Check out their Provident living web site.

Got my bamboo in and planted it , planted a sapling I raised from a nearly 100 year old pear tree that seems to be resistant to every thing . Reloaded 100 rds of ammo for 2 rifles .

Got my bamboo in and planted it , planted a sapling I raised from a nearly 100 year old pear tree that seems to be resistant to every thing . Reloaded 100 rds of ammo for 2 rifles .
You wanna watch that bamboo my friend. I planted some and it started growing like a weed. Everywhere in the garden lil bamboos started to pop up. Its a plague. Wish ive never had done it. Or at least stopped from spread with some kind of under ground barrier or something.

there 2 types of bamboo.one that spreads.and the other don't..and as for the type that spreads.a person has to put in a border of some kind that goes deep into the ground..if i remember right,it has to be at least 3FT deep

I love the bamboo idea. (kind that doesn't spread). Seems like it would really make the fences that much harder to traverse. Plus, provide some privacy.

i like it even better when plants that have long thorns on them are included..and the intruder(s) don't know about them untill its to late..lol

Once your broth is done, you can always put the bones in a pressure cooker to speed up the process to make a mush for your dog. You can also dehydrate your bone mush and add to your garden. Homemade bone meal. For veggies that you use for your broth, I strain out and these can be dehydrated into a powder to use in soups. It's an option for those who do not have chickens to feed.

Once your broth is done, you can always put the bones in a pressure cooker to speed up the process to make a mush for your dog. You can also dehydrate your bone mush and add to your garden. Homemade bone meal. For veggies that you use for your broth, I strain out and these can be dehydrated into a powder to use in soups. It's an option for those who do not have chickens to feed.
I was concerned about nutrient loss due to the high heat of pressure canning so I did some research. Many universities have studied this so rather than cite many resources, I'm just going to make a concise list of my findings:
Yes, some nutritional value is lost due to the high heat - mainly vitamin A, some of the B vitamins and folate.
However, much more nutrition is lost in the time it takes to process foods commercially from plant to market (or hoof to market).
It is argued that the "processing" of foods actually begins the moment they are picked or killed in the case of meat as it is at that moment that they start to lose nutritional content.
If you pick your vegetables or kill your meat and begin the canning process within just a few hours, you generally get more nutritional content than putting those same items in the refrigerator for consumption within a few days.
An important note is that anything processed in water will have the nutrient content leached into the water - so pack your foods and pour the water over them rather than throwing it out.
I feel much better about my home canned foods now.

little early, but already made some jute birds nests for tinder..orderd a veggie-dryer which will arrive this week and this week ain't over yet

Not sure why, but guess my wife was looking at freezer chests online already today, so maybe that one will get knocked off the list sooner than later.

So far I have 84 lbs of different varieties of cheeses ripening right now. Some will be ready in about 3 more weeks. I will be using some fresh, canning some and then shredding some to dehydrate to make cheese powder. Others will be sold and some given away as gifts. Betsey will be in milk for a long while and have been making cheese 5 days out of the week right now. Have been skimming off her cream to make butter and the rest put it into ice cube trays to freeze for later use. Need to spend one day to just make butter and get that canned up too.

So far I have 84 lbs of different varieties of cheeses ripening right now. Some will be ready in about 3 more weeks. I will be using some fresh, canning some and then shredding some to dehydrate to make cheese powder. Others will be sold and some given away as gifts. Betsey will be in milk for a long while and have been making cheese 5 days out of the week right now. Have been skimming off her cream to make butter and the rest put it into ice cube trays to freeze for later use. Need to spend one day to just make butter and get that canned up too.
I think we're all moving in with you if SHTF, Danil. I dreaded making cheese just once a week so much that I sold my goats. It was only fun the first time. I can't believe you do that 5 days a week. Ugh. Butter was easy. I was getting so much milk, though, that I had to throw it away. I do regret selling them just because they had such great personalities, but they are with a family now that will drink all the milk they give them and their children will spend a lot more time with the goats than I did.
So I guess you could say I did the reverse of prepping this week.
Otherwise, I'm just watching the garden waiting for the tomatoes to ripen and everything else to finish growing. I did put in my fall veggies, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cabbage, along with some more zucchini and yellow squash and more pea plants since all the rain killed my first planting of peas - that was two weeks ago, I think. The zucchini, yellow squash and peas are growing really fast. I think it's still a little too warm here for the brassicas, but they are green and slowly growing so I'll wait out the heat and hope for a nice growth as it gets cooler.

I think we're all moving in with you if SHTF, Danil. I dreaded making cheese just once a week so much that I sold my goats. It was only fun the first time. I can't believe you do that 5 days a week. Ugh. Butter was easy. I was getting so much milk, though, that I had to throw it away. I do regret selling them just because they had such great personalities, but they are with a family now that will drink all the milk they give them and their children will spend a lot more time with the goats than I did.
So I guess you could say I did the reverse of prepping this week.
Otherwise, I'm just watching the garden waiting for the tomatoes to ripen and everything else to finish growing. I did put in my fall veggies, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and cabbage, along with some more zucchini and yellow squash and more pea plants since all the rain killed my first planting of peas - that was two weeks ago, I think. The zucchini, yellow squash and peas are growing really fast. I think it's still a little too warm here for the brassicas, but they are green and slowly growing so I'll wait out the heat and hope for a nice growth as it gets cooler.
Cheese is one of my passions. . . . Tomorrow I will be make Cranberry Wensleydale and I got stuff today to do Sticky Toffee. These 2 are a couple favorites. I just hate the waiting/ripening period.

Glad that your goats went to a good family with kids. . .that milk will help keep those kids healthy and I am sure they will get spoiled rotten!:) I know that you will miss them terribly though. I ended up selling one of mine real cheap to a friend. . . at least I can go visit her on occasion.

I have really considered planting bamboo, as it has so many uses, and is a great privacy barrier. The part that makes me hesitate is it tends to take over the world once it gets going. Still considering though.

Cheese is one of my passions. . . . Tomorrow I will be make Cranberry Wensleydale and I got stuff today to do Sticky Toffee. These 2 are a couple favorites. I just hate the waiting/ripening period.

Glad that your goats went to a good family with kids. . .that milk will help keep those kids healthy and I am sure they will get spoiled rotten!:) I know that you will miss them terribly though. I ended up selling one of mine real cheap to a friend. . . at least I can go visit her on occasion.
If you ever get to travel bring your husband and cheese, I got the wine covered!:)

im still getting tomatoes and okra..got a 1 quart bag full of okra and 12 tomatoes..yesterdays rain storm caused some okra plants to lean over..so i gotta get out and stake them up today...

Since stored water is one of my top priorities from major holding tanks outside (1k gals) to having stored water inside (200gals)
We was out at the local food store getting spices and found bottled water on sale, case of 24 16.9 fl oz @ $1.04 per case so I picked up 20 cases for $20.80 giving me a little over of 63gal, the bottles and caps are BPA free (not that I overly trust plastics BPA free or not) with a two year best by date should last 3~5yrs stored thats 31.5 days for two people, for $20.80 I figured not bad.
water.JPG

They also had on sale top ramen (beef flavor) @ a $1.00 a case of 24, I picked up 15 cases for $15.00, not the best food choice but it works, just drain the juice after cooking and add powder eggs, powdered butter or add meat (any kind of eatable meat) to get a little more of a meal out of it.
noodles.JPG

picked up my veggiedryer...tomorrow every herb from my garden,some will be frozen some dryed.
with that prize for water and noodles I would have bought too,nice thing Maverick

I have really considered planting bamboo, as it has so many uses, and is a great privacy barrier. The part that makes me hesitate is it tends to take over the world once it gets going. Still considering though.
This is the bamboo I recommend most. Its timber grade does well even is cold and has edible parts to it.
Phyllostachys iridescens

how cold? can it survive Finish cold up to say -35 c ??
'cause it could bee interesting to plant some of it at my garden..

that bamboo could be very multi functional,just when I saw pics of it had both nice and not so nice ideas how to use it

Back