Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
63° right now, sunny! 70° the next few days!🌞
My kind of winter!:woo hoo:
Thank you carbon-emitters for your contribution to global warming!:huggs:.
(Yes, most of the time it is a wonderful thing:thumbs:)
On topic: our typhoon rain last night: 4.69":eyeballs:.

Ok, it's December so I'm "officially" gonna call it:
2 years in a row with ZERO spinny-things for us!:D
Yes, 'climate-change' is real... and it is awesome!!! :woo hoo:

Got my new weather station set up. It's been accurate, outside sensor is working.

Just after midnight and it's 63 degrees on my front porch. That i believe, warm air has been coming up from the gulf all day.

But... 93% humidity? Been light fog since morning, misting rain. I believe 85% but over 90?

My weather station displays correctly. For some reason my cell phone won't take a good pic of it...

Oh, 76 in the house. having to leave the pilot light for the space heater going, even ran the heater a couple times today just to dry the air in the house. Have a gas stove and dryer too, they help.

20231202_002850a.jpg

Yesterday's high was 25 degs. We got a few inches of snow overnight and it's still snowing this morning. I need to starting chaining up the 4 wheelers, the side by side and most importantly the tractor. And start digging out the snow blowers. I know, it should have already been done, bad prepper. I'll use the excuse that I've been sick.

Last edited:
Got my new weather station set up. It's been accurate, outside sensor is working.

Just after midnight and it's 63 degrees on my front porch. That i believe, warm air has been coming up from the gulf all day.

But... 93% humidity? Been light fog since morning, misting rain. I believe 85% but over 90?

My weather station displays correctly. For some reason my cell phone won't take a good pic of it...

Oh, 76 in the house. having to leave the pilot light for the space heater going, even ran the heater a couple times today just to dry the air in the house. Have a gas stove and dryer too, they help.

View attachment 120629
Nice looking weather station. Does it have a rain gage and an anemometer? We both check our weather station every time we walk by it.

Nice looking weather station. Does it have a rain gage and an anemometer? We both check our weather station every time we walk by it.

For me rain totals are important so i use the Stratus Rain Gauge, measures 1/100th of an inch.

Wind speed isn't very important so no anemometer. I rarely get straight line winds. I do get hurricanes and tornadoes but those winds speeds are so high precision isn't needed. An anemometer doesn't provide me with actionable intel.

View attachment 120629
If it has been, or is raining, the 93% outside humidity is correct. Mine says that now too because we had .96" of rain in the early morning hours.
Edit: You need to change the barometer to millibars. It's easier to resolve. For me, 29.92 and 29.29 look the same.

Last edited:
For me rain totals are important so i use the Stratus Rain Gauge, measures 1/100th of an inch.

Wind speed isn't very important so no anemometer. I rarely get straight line winds. I do get hurricanes and tornadoes but those winds speeds are so high precision isn't needed. An anemometer doesn't provide me with actionable intel.
That makes sense. For me the wind speed and direction is just for curiosity. Here at the house we usually don't get a lot of wind, but in other parts of the ranch we get a lot of blowing and drifting snow. Today it's blowing and drifting. Around here we can have different weather every hundred feet or so.

That makes sense. For me the wind speed and direction is just for curiosity.

I started thinking about a weather station back in the summer. I did my homework on anemometers. I'm in eastern woodland... wind parameters at ground level can be much different than 100ft above the ground.

I thought an anemometer would be useful if i had a tower to put it on. But at ground level accurately measuring wind direction is iffy at best, wind speed is even more variable.

I started thinking about a weather station back in the summer. I did my homework on anemometers. I'm in eastern woodland... wind parameters at ground level can be much different than 100ft above the ground.

I thought an anemometer would be useful if i had a tower to put it on. But at ground level accurately measuring wind direction is iffy at best, wind speed is even more variable.
I looked at wind gauges but gave up because I would have to pour concrete to mount it to measure the 80mph winds that we have sometimes :rolleyes:.
...of course, when that happens, a super-accurate measurement isn't needed anyway:(.

Since I don't know where most of you live, the data doesn't help me much. In Twin Falls, southern Idaho, we had about a foot of snow over the past three days, and about 48 hours of sub-freezing temperatAlmost.

Nasty; almost makes me miss Phoenix. Almost.

I looked at wind gauges but gave up because I would have to pour concrete to mount it to measure the 80mph winds that we have sometimes :rolleyes:.
...of course, when that happens, a super-accurate measurement isn't needed anyway:(.
I have my wind gauge mounted on top of a 4×4 post about 10' high. We never get 80 mph winds here, but we did in Alaska and I used the same setup there.

Not a peep about the libs in the PNW doing the "Cajun floodwater dance"?:eyeballs:
Not my area, but our dance.:dancing:
Since they are far above having hurricanes, if you ignore the counterclockwise spin on the radar, you can call it an "atmospheric river" along with them;).
...And another one is due to hit Friday!:eyeballs:

Of course their main concern is, many homeless people's tents under the overpasses were washed away!gaah :(

Edit: Doing 'the dance':
washington_flooding_120623_override.gif

Last edited:
We had a beautiful day; sunny with temps in the mid 60's. Took advantage and probably played maybe the last round of golf this year.

At midnight last night the temp on the porch was 73 degrees. Warm all day, even sunny this afternoon.

I'm now under a tornado watch until noon tomorrow. Currently 68 degrees on the porch, no winds, partly cloudy.

The bad weather will most likely remain north up in the TN valley. But conditions here are right for a nado or two, fingers crossed.

We were in the 50s all day. Had .72" of rain bu 10 am. Expecting some rain overnight and quite a lot tomorrow. The line of storms is moving northeast west of the Cumberland Plateau. It'll move east eventually. we are expecting rain around midnight. My guess is the storm passing over the Plateau will beat the stuffing out of any severe weather.
Gotta watch the local weather at 11

There was tornados that touched down in middle Tennessee. Northwest of Nashville there was at least 6 killed.
We are getting some lightning and been raining for a while now. Our tornado watch is likely to fall off by 3. Heavyist part of the storm should hit around 1

Last edited:
Back