What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.fish dinner at 4 pm.
It used to be common to find fish dinners on Friday's during Lent. Now we can hardly find them and they are no longer close to home. A church close to me used to do catfish meals that were so good. Like many churches, the members are aging out and the workers are not as able and willing to cook for events like that.

I just looked and found a church that is a few miles away that has a curb side pick-up! I'll see if I can go!

It used to be common to find fish dinners on Friday's during Lent. Now we can hardly find them and they are no longer close to home. A church close to me used to do catfish meals that were so good. Like many churches, the members are aging out and the workers are not as able and willing to cook for events like that.

I just looked and found a church that is a few miles away that has a curb side pick-up! I'll see if I can go!

That's sad.
Here in KY, especially my area, 4 rivers area , every restaurant has fish on their menu. Fried or grilled catfish fillets.
Some are better than others.
I go to one of them every Friday .

All the white beans and hush puppies you can eat , 1,2 or 3 fillets , with shrimp or frog legs .
I'm starving.

Jim

Been on the go. We are doing the corned beef and cabbage at my folks today along with 2 of the nieces. So far this AM, I did a load of laundry, dug out the air compressor and aired the tires on the mower then mowed the lawn for the first time this year, planted 2 trees & showered. Need to run the vacuum a bit and get ready to go.

It’s rained all morning but we managed to get the siding and trim done on the chicken house. Nothing is square it was just eyeballed everything it’s not going to be too bad. We came in for lunch cold wet and muddy. This afternoon I’ll build the door in the shop and the widow boxes Alex wants for it.

B9947AA9-8377-488B-A695-E39FD283E78D.jpeg

OK, you got us. You aren't building a chicken coop, you are building a tiny summer airB&B for when your friends here come to visit.

Telling you how to build a chicken coop is kinda up there with telling Neb how to dig a hole. We expect big things from Jake when it comes to those coons though.

It’s rained all morning but we managed to get the siding and trim done on the chicken house. Nothing is square it was just eyeballed everything it’s not going to be too bad. We came in for lunch cold wet and muddy. This afternoon I’ll build the door in the shop and the widow boxes Alex wants for it.

View attachment 82667
My chickens are SOOO embarrassed, they live in a slum coop :p

When I look at your coop @hashbrown I can't help but think of an old skating rink I went to as a kid. It has screen winows all the way around (like your coop), but it also had plywood sheets (Shutters?) on the outside that covered the window and were hinged at the top of the "window", when it was warm they would open up all the shutters and let the breeze in, but in the winter they would leave them closed to keep a little warmth in. Are you going to have some sort shutters on the outside of your coops windows?

Those chicks will feel pampered. I put my chickens to work! Slave labor! Chickens make great excavators. One year I expanded the pen to enclose a mass of vines and weeds. It took months but the chickens killed all the plant life... Uncovering a huge pile of cinder blocks and brick I needed for other purposes. Even better, once the weeds were gone they started scratching and digging up years of little seeds. And freeing up the blocks which I'd stack to the side every few days so they could dig more.. 😁

Blocks  (7).jpg

When I look at your coop @hashbrown I can't help but think of an old skating rink I went to as a kid. It has screen winows all the way around (like your coop), but it also had plywood sheets (Shutters?) on the outside that covered the window and were hinged at the top of the "window", when it was warm they would open up all the shutters and let the breeze in, but in the winter they would leave them closed to keep a little warmth in. Are you going to have some sort shutters on the outside of your coops windows?

🤫!!! Don’t let Mrs Hashbrown see this! You’re making more work for poor @hashbrown 😉😂 I agree that would be very adorable though so maybe let’s get the word out 🤣:brewing:

Just finished at the doctors office including x-rays. The toe was infected (he cut the skin at the end and squeezed a bunch of pink puss out) but the x-ray indicates that the infection was not in the bone, so we are good with just topical creams, a week of antibiotics, and then go back in 2 weeks. Now that we are relaxed a little we are going to have a light brunch and then I'm off to stand in line at the pharmacy.

It is a beautiful day out and who knows before it's over I may find my way to HD or just go work in the garden, life is good.
Thank goodness no infection in the bone!! Hopefully gets better quickly!😊

Today is "take the 90 year olds to lunch" day! 😮 You never what's going to happen with those two, lol!! After last month's lunch I might need to put a warning sign on the restaurant door for the men coming in! 🤔😉😯
Only took one of my friends to lunch, the rowdy one was not feeling well!! But........the other one smiled at an older gentleman a couple times and he paid for our lunch!! We got in the truck to leave and she calls her sick friend and tells her how her cute smile got us a free lunch! Felt like I was part of a free lunch crime ring, lol!!

Looking good - like others have said, compared to this my chickens are living in a shantytown!

We are supposed to get rain all weekend, but I'm hoping it'll hold off a little longer so I can get some yard work done and get the last raised bed for the greenhouse made (it's all filled in with beds now, so the work had to happen put in the open). If the rain comes early, it'll be time to purge some junk from the garage and do some meal prep from the freezer to rotate some of the older stuff out.

Last edited:
Around here the Shell station has the best fish in town!

Last 7 quarts of dog food pressure canning now.
If the Hindus are right and we reincarnate as lower forms when we've not learned our lessons as humans on earth, and I ever have to come back as a dog, I hope I am fed as well as you feed yours, @snappy1! The must be so healthy!

If the Hindus are right and we reincarnate as lower forms when we've not learned our lessons as humans on earth, and I ever have to come back as a dog, I hope I am fed as well as you feed yours, @snappy1! The must be so healthy!
Her dog food is probably better than most people food! 😉😊

Stopped at Costco while in town. Did a return and got some supplies that were on sale.
Sitting in the parking lot of the nursery trying to talk myself out of going in :ghostly: Have a 1/2 hour more to kill before heading over to the trailer place to sign the papers for the build.
Welp I’ve caved to peer pressure. Y’all talked me into it. I’m going in to the nursery. 🥸

You must have read my mind, thats exactly what I was thinking! I'm planning on making them out of cedar.

Are there any critters that will eat blackberry bushes (weeds and all)? Because I'd rather do drywall mud than deal with these damn blackberry weeds. Mofos cut me up. Still pulling thorns out of my shoes. I spent about 2 hours trying to cut them back but you can hardly tell. At least my hedge trimmer can be used in either hand, but I have a bump on my right thumb from holding the button in place so I could pull the trigger. Battery ran out on the trimmer even though I charged it 16+ hours. Oh well, at least it got some of the crap. Gonna charge my mini chainsaw and try to get the thicker ones later. Too thick for the trimmer to cut. I got overheated as well-- not supposed to be out in the sun/heat.

still need to grab some stuff from walmart but wondering if Mom will want a fillet of fish or something so I can rest up. I have so little energy.

Love the chicken coop. My chickens had a large yard to run in that had a pond. Coop was a bit larger than that. Taller and longer but just a little bit wider. we had nesting boxes on both sides IIRC. One door for people and another door lower down for chickens. That one is prettier looking than ours. Ours was just pressure treated plywood. Unfortunately a tree from outside our yard fell on it and crushed it. No chickens were in it at the time.

Well, you wouldn't have seizures anyway. Lol. That's why I do it. No chemicals and preservatives.

Raccoons are your worst nightmare

I ended up using a hot wire to keep them out.

Lots of fun, lots of work.
But the fresh eggs are with it

Jim
Coons are amazing at getting at chickens, the chicken coop we've had for years is built up off the ground with a solid plywood deck for the floor, what the coon did was to climb the corner of the coop, go up on the roof and climb in the open rafter end, I also had an open vent window area that had window screens on the inside of that but they were just nailed at the top, so they could be pushed in, anyway I nailed 1/4" wire cloth over the rafter ends and over the window openings and now the coop is safe from coons, however rats have chewed a hole through a corner on the fiberboard siding and so far I've found 4 dead rats on the floor, I think our roosters kill them, never had rats like this around until the neighbor started raising pigs and we've lived here since 1980. We've had hawks and mink knock off a few hens over the years but that small coon really was doing a number, I put a game camera inside for one night and saw him knock off an easy going rooster, the next day I started the screening project.

Urban Glad you got a good report on the wife. Prayers answered

HB, After your pics I feel shamed lookin at mine. Nice Work

Zanni I've been cutting dragging blackberries most all winter, still got more to do. My arms are all cut up, well were a couple weeks ago. Just wear it as a badge of honor. It's hard work that needs doing. It is an accomplishment when you are done.

I've spent all week at work sorting out different projects we have to do. Finally found out the conduit I had ordered and was told had been delivered, actually never had been. It was dropped off yesterday. So time to get that job scheduled with hoisting and rigging to move all the material to the building rooftop. Also found out I'll have full use of an electrician to run all the conduit and such.
Several radio projects coming together. Found out yesterday my new tech starts April 18th. Lots of other stuff to boot. And the down side, one of our Admins took a new job and today was her last day. Sad to see her go and we found out it'll be June before we can get a replacement

Got home and had a package in the mail. Neb had sent me an adjustable spade bit. The dude is one awesome fellow. THANK YOU Ben

I'm sad.
I'm down.

My little town HS basketball team went to sweet 16...first time in 51 years.
Won first round to go to elite 8.

Faced the Private Catholic school that has been State HS champion last 2 years. They're recognized as best team in the state.
Our little school stayed with them, even led many times.
But lost 59 to 57.
Nobody plays them that tuff

I'm proud of our guys.

One more NCAA team to watch tomorrow.
Murray State plays Saint Peter

Then I'm done.
Gonna work on the remodel more tomorrow.

Jim

Latest posts

Back