What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Messed with the pedal saw , bucked an average days wood(3 large 68L Rubbermaid bins) with it in about a 1/2 hour, once I figure out the holding rack, it will probably only take 15 minutes. I feel that something like the saw is a good application for human power, using leg power is much more efficient than sawing by hand and much better for the heart, If there is any interest I will take pictures and do a thread in off grid power, once I get it to feed decent

I remember the old post but would love to see it working again. Post it up!

I got Alexandra’s little hen house ready for chickens this afternoon. Still have some paint and caulk left and basic landscape, stone walkway and a couple of flowerbeds. She was so happy with the way it’s turning out she cried on me this afternoon when we were finishing up. ❤️❤️❤️

962494E8-9BC2-4F39-A24F-B8B0D420069B.jpeg

I got Alexandra’s little hen house ready for chickens this afternoon. Still have some paint and caulk left and basic landscape, stone walkway and a couple of flowerbeds. She was so happy with the way it’s turning out she cried on me this afternoon when we were finishing up. ❤❤❤

View attachment 83053
Has she seen it all finished yet???? 😍 Love it!!

I got Alexandra’s little hen house ready for chickens this afternoon. Still have some paint and caulk left and basic landscape, stone walkway and a couple of flowerbeds. She was so happy with the way it’s turning out she cried on me this afternoon when we were finishing up. ❤❤❤

View attachment 83053

Where's the Mister Cool a/c ?

Asking for a friend.

Jim

That's rough, Snappy. I hope your husband gets better. We've done antibiotics like that at home a few times. I ended up having a nurse show me because it was supposed to be every 8 hrs exactly. I had to account for wake up time and set up time, so just got 7 hrs of sleep for awhile.
Been busy being busy today. The sun is out, and it has hit 50 degrees, so that is good. We went into the bigger town to Walmart, mom's nurse asked me to get more multivitamins for her, so I shopped some. My jaw dropped when I saw 8 cans of Keystone beef on the shelf for $8.18 a can. I got them all. I needed to restock distilled water for husband's bi pap machine, and everyone else has been out, but Walmart had some. So restocked our supply at home with 5 gallons more. Went to visit mom, since she was on an angry morning rant with me on the phone. When we got there this afternoon, all was well and she was calm. The nurse said she was up at night saying a man was in her room. No one was there at all. So she made the story bigger by the time we came to visit and told me the conversations she had with the imaginary man. Taking a breather, but should get some green onions planted in a few pots going before dinner.
When we had problems finding distilled water for my CPAP (and clothes steamer, and steam mop, etc.) a while back I broke down and bought a home distiller off of Amazon. I've got a lot of gallons to distill to get my $68 out of it, but it's nice knowing we can have completely pure water whenever we want.

View attachment 83053
Every time you put up a picture, I'm amazed at the improvements you've made. I'm starting to switch windows on the computer when the wife walks by for fear she'll see it's possible to have a coop this pretty!

The nurse said she was up at night saying a man was in her room. No one was there at all. So she made the story bigger by the time we came to visit and told me the conversations she had with the imaginary man. Taking a breather, but should get some green onions planted in a few pots going before dinner.

Has your mother ever mentioned a man in her room before, when she was living at home or otherwise?

She makes stuff up. Sometimes it's her dementia, sometimes she just wants to carry a story, sometimes she's just being mean. It's a big change for her, she is checked on every couple of hours, and I'm not sure she likes it. I can guarantee there's no truth to it. It's like her dancing mouse in the kitchen story. And today she told me she went outside and swept the patio. The door is bolted and she has no broom.

Well my big thing is I'm getting ready for GriefShare. We lost my brother in law to Pancreatic cancer a year ago on Feb. 11 at age 57. This is my third time. I find GriefShare helps bur now I'm trying to see how I can help others. And I trimmed some blackberry vines.

Went to WM today with wife to pick up a few things , and stock up a few more things.

Next time I go....I'm taking smelling sauce ...I almost passed out at the prices ...just in last week.

Example, Ritz peanut butter crackers were $2.58 , today $3.38 .
Bush's baked beans ,smallest can we're $.88, now $1.58. All beef hotdogs were $2.88 now $3.97.
24 pack of Pepsi was 7.40 now on sale for $8.98.

Everything I picked up was same way...crazy.

Got home, worked in utility room for an hour. I plan having this room finished no later than 2030.

Eli and I play fetch for about 30 minutes with tug o war also.

If it ever warms up and wind stops , we gotta truck load of twigs and limbs to pick up...be mowing next week.

Jim

Last edited:
She makes stuff up. Sometimes it's her dementia, sometimes she just wants to carry a story, sometimes she's just being mean. It's a big change for her, she is checked on every couple of hours, and I'm not sure she likes it. I can guarantee there's no truth to it. It's like her dancing mouse in the kitchen story. And today she told me she went outside and swept the patio. The door is bolted and she has no broom.

Amish , that sounds exactly like my mom.

Jim

The one neighbor threatened to kill our chickens because they go across the street. Mind you, they've been doing this for years and all the neighbors love it, except for this dude and his wife who moved in a year and half ago. The chickens go across the street because the people in the low-cost housing development feed them all the time.

I talked with a different neighbor and he said the guy was an [expletive]. But he's going to keep an eye out for anything suspicious because two chickens have died since he made the threat. Words getting out around the neighborhood and the other neighbors are upset.

But we might be getting free chickens. The one girl across the way wants to get peeps from the tractor supply store for her kids for Easter as a novelty and asked if we'd take them once they're grown. We said heck yeah.

We're going around with chicken wire today to block up holes to try and keep the chickens in now. The neighbor I talked to yesterday thought it was such a shame; he loved digging up worms for them and having them all around his feet.

The only consolation is that these new neighbors got kicked out of their last apartment so. . .maybe! Maybe they'll get kicked out again and we can let the chickens run free through the neighborhood without a care.

We all know that keeping our pets/animals on our property is the right thing to do but I understand until now the neighbors enjoyed their company. If he complains, he can do that, but obviously he is a problem. But, as far as the threats, you should contact the housing management and let them know he is making threats. You can explain the past situation and the opinions of all the other residents there, but let them know you will now keeps your chickens home. If it is government subsidized they would/should want to know if threats are being made. Let the others there know to complain if he is bothering them.
Good luck.

View attachment 83053
That looks like a very secure chicken house. Will the chickens be loose during the day or will they have a fenced in area?

We all know that keeping our pets/animals on our property is the right thing to do but I understand until now the neighbors enjoyed their company. If he complains, he can do that, but obviously he is a problem. But, as far as the threats, you should contact the housing management and let them know he is making threats. You can explain the past situation and the opinions of all the other residents there, but let them know you will now keeps your chickens home. If it is government subsidized they would/should want to know if threats are being made. Let the others there know to complain if he is bothering them.
Good luck.

Just asking, because I know some jurisdictions are different...if he were to be caught in the act, what could be done? Arkansas does have "stand your ground laws." Basically if he's outside the house or he's fleeing call the pd. Inside the house or coming at me he could be doing business with the business end of a Ruger.

Had to go look at a possible upgrade at one of our stations with a couple of safety folks. After work Nephew came by. He lives in Georgia and is hiking up Mt. Leconte tomorrow with some folks he grew up in Michigan with 20 years ago. We went and had mexican for supper and shot the bull for a while.
Have you tried that little Mexican restaurant off Harden Valley Road, I thought it was some of the best that I have had in a while.....

That has to be the prettiest and the most set up coop I've ever seen.

It will look a lot better by the end of the weekend. Next project is a new well house for the shop, I'm not afraid of much but every time I go in there I think something is going to jump on me! I have trouble keeping it from freezing also. Its maybe 10x12 now but I'm going to make it just big enough for the tank and equipment.

Have you tried that little Mexican restaurant off Harden Valley Road, I thought it was some of the best that I have had in a while.....
Nope never been there. But Hardin Valley is not far from work. I will have to check it out. We went to one over in Maryville, he's staying in Gatlingburg and was on his way.. Kinda tradition, we always hit that place up after a hike....just did it before hand this time.

I'm really want to try loose during the day, I guess we will see how it goes.
If you don't feed them kitchen scraps, they won't/shouldn't eat your garden. I had mine loose & they didn't bother the garden - especially if they have lots of bugs and worms to eat.

Latest posts

Back