What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my new to me 1975 3/4 ton chevy pickup licensed and insured. Then it was off to the garden store for a large load of garden dirt and compost mixed one to three. The loader driver told me the old trucks can carry twice what the new shiny trucks can. plenty of room on the wide bench front seat for me and the dog.
Is that the long bed? We had a 73 and it was just the best, we had the locking hubs and limited slip differentials made world of difference back in the day. I loaded it cab high with engine blocks and hauled them 60 miles when the price of scrap was high, it rode a little rough but it did the job....

Had safety meetings at work and got off early for once. After work i spent a little time printing off paperwork to get new prescription safety glasses and took it to the eye clinic. The lady there had no idea what to do with it and didn't even know my employer had an eyewear program. I find that strange because my employer has had a large presence in that town since the 1880s and every employee is eligible for free prescription safety glasses every year.

My daughter's mom got really sick this morning and ended up in the hospital so daughter came to my place after school. I cooked ribeyes and hashbrowns for supper and we're watching CSI Miami reruns now. Her mom is likely to be down for another day or two so it looks like my kid will be staying with me for an extra day or two...

Just got my new to me 1975 3/4 ton chevy pickup licensed and insured. Then it was off to the garden store for a large load of garden dirt and compost mixed one to three. The loader driver told me the old trucks can carry twice what the new shiny trucks can. plenty of room on the wide bench front seat for me and the dog.
Those old Squarebody Chevys will always be the best. We had a '77 for our farm truck. It came with the granny low gear and a straight six but my brother pulled the 350 out of a '71 Impala and dropped it in. That V8 turned it into a beast. There wasn't much it couldn't, or didn't do!

I made it to the mountain, settled in for the evening. Bumpy start, I'm going into real wilderness tomorrow. Much of the state got 4 plus inches of rain yesterday. The woods are going to be a muddy mess. So I brought my rubber muck boots.

At least I brought one of them. I think the puppy swiped my other one while I was loading the truck this morning, little snot! Anyway, got to Gadsden and I only had one boot. So I had to drive 7 miles across a strange town at night to find the only Tractor supply store. Cheap carppy boots were only $44 so that was good. Hiking in new boots tomorrow... not so good.

$117 a night for the hotel, not so good either. I spent 30min on the phone with Marriott IT tech support just to get on line. No wonder wifi is free.

Good news from the VA. eye sight 20/20, no signs of macular degen or other lurking problems. Got a new pair of readers on the way...

Hope to take lots of picks tomorrow... Darryl is taking me to his secret patch of Ramps first. Grocery bag enough?

The mountain has several plant species that don't grow where I live. Gonna load the truck full.

Had safety meetings at work and got off early for once. After work i spent a little time printing off paperwork to get new prescription safety glasses and took it to the eye clinic. The lady there had no idea what to do with it and didn't even know my employer had an eyewear program. I find that strange because my employer has had a large presence in that town since the 1880s and every employee is eligible for free prescription safety glasses every year.

My daughter's mom got really sick this morning and ended up in the hospital so daughter came to my place after school. I cooked ribeyes and hashbrowns for supper and we're watching CSI Miami reruns now. Her mom is likely to be down for another day or two so it looks like my kid will be staying with me for an extra day or two...
Aren't you glad you were able to be there and not off in some other state and not home for another week etc.
I made it to the mountain, settled in for the evening. Bumpy start, I'm going into real wilderness tomorrow. Much of the state got 4 plus inches of rain yesterday. The woods are going to be a muddy mess. So I brought my rubber muck boots.

At least I brought one of them. I think the puppy swiped my other one while I was loading the truck this morning, little snot! Anyway, got to Gadsden and I only had one boot. So I had to drive 7 miles across a strange town at night to find the only Tractor supply store. Cheap carppy boots were only $44 so that was good. Hiking in new boots tomorrow... not so good.

$117 a night for the hotel, not so good either. I spent 30min on the phone with Marriott IT tech support just to get on line. No wonder wifi is free.

Good news from the VA. eye sight 20/20, no signs of macular degen or other lurking problems. Got a new pair of readers on the way...

Hope to take lots of picks tomorrow... Darryl is taking me to his secret patch of Ramps first. Grocery bag enough?

The mountain has several plant species that don't grow where I live. Gonna load the truck full.
Have fun!

Well, anyway, it's time for bed. Power is out and all electronics are offline. Not sure of the cause but don't actually care anyway. Off work tomorrow so simply gonna get some much needed sleep.
We always liked when the power went out - peaceful.
Yes, but check in!! And Ladylocust got the "missy" comment! All age aside, ya'll behave, I can be ya'll's mother hen! I've been called that before, long story! 😉😀
That's good: you can be a mama hen 'cause I'm a mama bear 🐻

At 5:45AM I was just getting out of the shower when I got a text:

"Derailment. Stay home until they need us."

This is the worst kind of message. It means a bunch of track got tore up and it's going to require hours and hours of work. My particular job is the finishing stages of repairing the derailment. First the wreckage is cleared and all the damaged track is just torn out and hauled away. Then the roadway is scraped down. New track panels are laid down and bolted together and ballast rock is dumped. Then it's my turn. This could be a 24 to 48 hour job, and it's the last thing I needed right now...oh well. I'll get paid. Many times, on a big derailment we'll be making double time and a half before it's all over. It's more stress than it's worth though.

On top of that my daughter's mom got sick and ended up in the hospital for observation yesterday and last night. So I have my daughter with me. My ex probably isn't going to be feeling well enough to take care of anything for a couple days even if she's released today. I guess daughter will have to go to her grandparents after school. I'm starting to think I made a mistake coming home to work the local job. I've got less time now than I did when I was on the road..

Looking at the weather forecasts and trying to figure out what I can expect to get done this weekend.... Saw we have several days of hard freezes coming so that will force me to make some adjustments to my plans. It also means that I will not be able to move the larger plants outside like I had planned.....

I'm hoping our weather will start clearing up. Started at 31 a bit ago, supposed to finally hit high 50's today. I really want to plant the greenhouse, but too nervous about another big freeze. It's that time of year.
Same here, I'm ready to get things planted but don't dare! Last night we had a freeze (28°) but not the city. Then when we are safe from freezes there is the hail to worry about. It's a tough time of the year for baby plants!

Looking at the weather forecasts and trying to figure out what I can expect to get done this weekend.... Saw we have several days of hard freezes coming so that will force me to make some adjustments to my plans. It also means that I will not be able to move the larger plants outside like I had planned.....
I'm hoping our weather will start clearing up. Started at 31 a bit ago, supposed to finally hit high 50's today. I really want to plant the greenhouse, but too nervous about another big freeze. It's that time of year.
Same here, I'm ready to get things planted but don't dare! Last night we had a freeze (28°) but not the city. Then when we are safe from freezes there is the hail to worry about. It's a tough time of the year for baby plants!
The weather page should be categorized in the FICTION section. Ours says our lows are in the 40's - it's been below freezing/frost the last 3 nights at least.

I'm exhausted today! Walked anyway and will walk dogs.
DH is not responding to the antibiotics for his lung infection. Doc says 2 more weeks and then we may have to go to IV antibiotics at home. Sigh. So didn't sleep well at all last night.

Have to go to tax appt. this afternoon and then maybe Bible study this afternoon. Friday and Saturday, I won't be around - help friend.
Looking for rest...

The one neighbor threatened to kill our chickens because they go across the street. Mind you, they've been doing this for years and all the neighbors love it, except for this dude and his wife who moved in a year and half ago. The chickens go across the street because the people in the low-cost housing development feed them all the time.

I talked with a different neighbor and he said the guy was an [expletive]. But he's going to keep an eye out for anything suspicious because two chickens have died since he made the threat. Words getting out around the neighborhood and the other neighbors are upset.

But we might be getting free chickens. The one girl across the way wants to get peeps from the tractor supply store for her kids for Easter as a novelty and asked if we'd take them once they're grown. We said heck yeah.

We're going around with chicken wire today to block up holes to try and keep the chickens in now. The neighbor I talked to yesterday thought it was such a shame; he loved digging up worms for them and having them all around his feet.

The only consolation is that these new neighbors got kicked out of their last apartment so. . .maybe! Maybe they'll get kicked out again and we can let the chickens run free through the neighborhood without a care.

Messed with the pedal saw , bucked an average days wood(3 large 68L Rubbermaid bins) with it in about a 1/2 hour, once I figure out the holding rack, it will probably only take 15 minutes. I feel that something like the saw is a good application for human power, using leg power is much more efficient than sawing by hand and much better for the heart, If there is any interest I will take pictures and do a thread in off grid power, once I get it to feed decent

I decided to buck the rest of the load in the buck rack with the chainsaw, that probably took about 1/2 an hour to do 5 bins, so the human powered saw isn't all that slow, especially since I had to monkey about to get it ready.

Messed with the pedal saw , bucked an average days wood(3 large 68L Rubbermaid bins) with it in about a 1/2 hour, once I figure out the holding rack, it will probably only take 15 minutes. I feel that something like the saw is a good application for human power, using leg power is much more efficient than sawing by hand and much better for the heart, If there is any interest I will take pictures and do a thread in off grid power, once I get it to feed decent
I'd like to see a pic or 3 of that saw. Sounds interesting

That's rough, Snappy. I hope your husband gets better. We've done antibiotics like that at home a few times. I ended up having a nurse show me because it was supposed to be every 8 hrs exactly. I had to account for wake up time and set up time, so just got 7 hrs of sleep for awhile.
Been busy being busy today. The sun is out, and it has hit 50 degrees, so that is good. We went into the bigger town to Walmart, mom's nurse asked me to get more multivitamins for her, so I shopped some. My jaw dropped when I saw 8 cans of Keystone beef on the shelf for $8.18 a can. I got them all. I needed to restock distilled water for husband's bi pap machine, and everyone else has been out, but Walmart had some. So restocked our supply at home with 5 gallons more. Went to visit mom, since she was on an angry morning rant with me on the phone. When we got there this afternoon, all was well and she was calm. The nurse said she was up at night saying a man was in her room. No one was there at all. So she made the story bigger by the time we came to visit and told me the conversations she had with the imaginary man. Taking a breather, but should get some green onions planted in a few pots going before dinner.

Latest posts

Back