What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@zannej and @sonya123 Paterson is still a horrible place. Shame of it is it was an opulent city before the turn of the last century. Only nice thing left there is the Great Falls and I’m sure they’d like to relocate too.

Wonderful to wake up in my peaceful place. Sun is shining and the breeze is blowing and it’s high today is going to be 78 degrees. Need to play pick up sticks in the yard before the grass and strimming needs doing. Getting a warp on the loom for a scarf. Having dinner with Dad, my brother and sister-in-law.

Got up, worked out, cleaned up, checked the property, collected some stuff left behind and threw it in some boxes, made some coffee in the old Keurig and am sitting out on the patio. Need to run to the storage garage, hopefully for the last time, and do a little shopping. Also going to the range for a little pew pew therapy and will probably stop at the gun store to fondle some metal. Otherwise I will just take the day as it comes.

It's a 2009 Toyota Rav4. There aren't many with the V6 engine, and a small vehicle with a big engine makes for good highway cruising...
Toyotas are great cars, especially if you do a lot of highway driving, which I think you do.
I had a 1998 Camry with 300,000 + miles on it, many of those being highway miles due to my 50 mile commuting everyday. I've heard that highway miles are better for your vehicles than city driving. Camry was 6 cylinder and so many people would say what a nice car it was when they got in. It was. It finally developed a major oil leak and it would have cost $10,000 to replace the engine. I miss that car every day!

Up sinus is kinda stuffy and gonna lay up a little.

Nice day, sonny is SUPPOSED to be here in a bit to empty the small sound trailer and clean up 16 line arrays and 8 subs, fly bars, cables, lights trusses, and other stuff check the control board and get everything ready for the stage at Philidelphia, MS. Neshoba County fair next week also gonna have to get up some other lift towers for half of the Line arrays.

I can't get him to cut his everyone else time and focus on his own tasks, he ends up running from the clock all the time while the others go about their daily tasks and he goes it alone.

I AM Tired of him being used, but he cant say NO.

Thankful for some cooler weather, we still need more rain but at least it's not so hot and humid now.
Work has been time consuming and stressful, leaving little time or energy for the homestead but gradually trying to get a few things done. Built a pedestal for the generator, used the dry pour method for the cement. It turned out sturdy but not pretty. Good enough for who it's for, and I learned a lot. The area can get wet in spring and I have it a good 8" above grade. Saved about 500 bucks doing it myself.
Went kayaking with my mom yesterday. Had a nice visit and came back sunburned with sore muscles. Need to get back to paddling more often.
Hooch how is your finger? That looked so painful.
zannej hope you're feeling better.
Amish I hope your husband is doing better. I agree with not wanting to be admitted.
Urban how goes the job search?
Backpacker hope you and your wife are feeling better.
Pearl - girl, you have so much energy! Stop it, you're making me tired! Or at least come get the weedwhacking done for me.
More folks I wanted to catch up on but my old brain forgot the mental notes I made as I read through. Just hope y'all are well.
I got it halfway out..Ive been using the baking soda to pack it in the hole it made under my nail. It keeps the hole open and apparently breaks down the splinter just a bit.
It hurt pretty good for about 2 days but now my finger has gotten used to it and since I do the baking soda pack daily..it isn't infected.
My boss wants me to go get it cut out..but I'm holding off and letting nature do it's thing. I told him if it starts getting infected..then I will.
I've had to have a splinter cut out a few years ago too..I think it hurt worse that getting the splinter. Fingers don't numb up well apparently..and they would have to cut my nail off to get to this one.
Maybe I'll do a few shots tonight n dig the rest out..lol..

Attachments

• 20240720_093527.jpg
    20240720_093527.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 0
I got it halfway out..Ive been using the baking soda to pack it in the hole it made under my nail. It keeps the hole open and apparently breaks down the splinter just a bit.
It hurt pretty good for about 2 days but now my finger has gotten used to it and since I do the baking soda pack daily..it isn't infected.
My boss wants me to go get it cut out..but I'm holding off and letting nature do it's thing. I told him if it starts getting infected..then I will.
I've had to have a splinter cut out a few years ago too..I think it hurt worse that getting the splinter. Fingers don't numb up well apparently..and they would have to cut my nail off to get to this one.
Have you tried hydrogen peroxide? I’ve used that for splinters before too.

I wanted to get up eariler...but I was out watching the moon untill about 1130, ate some soup n crashed.
Still feel tired but I'm up now..
Today I will water everybody good, take the pups on a little walk before it's 1000 degrees outside. We're supposed to be breaking records for a few days :(
Let's see, normal crap, laundry, sun oven some chicken, stay cool, maybe I'll take the pups to the creek n go swimming.
I guess we shall see what happens..
Oh I might do a few shots n dig out what remains of the branch I got shoved up under my fingernail tonight..
That should be fun..lol..

I wanted to get up eariler...but I was out watching the moon untill about 1130, ate some soup n crashed.
Still feel tired but I'm up now..
Today I will water everybody good, take the pups on a little walk before it's 1000 degrees outside. We're supposed to be breaking records for a few days :(
Let's see, normal crap, laundry, sun oven some chicken, stay cool, maybe I'll take the pups to the creek n go swimming.
I guess we shall see what happens..
Oh I might do a few shots n dig out what remains of the branch I got shoved up under my fingernail tonight..
That should be fun..lol..

Have you tried plantain? It's a drawing agent. I know it'll bring splinters in flesh to the surface. Don't know about under a finger nail. Worth a try, crush it up and wrap the end of your finger with it, hold it on with a bandaid.

Big rains last night, soggy mess outside. Might go get groceries later.

No..but I'll try it..thanks!
Make sure you clean out all that baking soda first! I’m not sure what kind of reaction would happen with those two agents.

I went back to see the original posts—don’t know how I missed that. Personally I would be inclined to see a doctor. Also when was your last tetanus shot?

Make sure you clean out all that baking soda first! I’m not sure what kind of reaction would happen with those two agents.

I went back to see the original posts—don’t know how I missed that. Personally I would be inclined to see a doctor. Also when was your last tetanus shot?
A few years ago when I had the last splinter carved out of my thumb.
I should be good on that score..

Have you tried plantain? It's a drawing agent. I know it'll bring splinters in flesh to the surface. Don't know about under a finger nail. Worth a try, crush it up and wrap the end of your finger with it, hold it on with a bandaid.

Big rains last night, soggy mess outside. Might go get groceries later.
I believe I saw some down by the creek..I'll try it too! Thanks!

I’ve been dreading doing something with this old BMW for years. It was last licensed in 2017 and hasn’t moved since shortly after that. It ran good and Jake would drive it up and down our road when he was a kid. We lost the title and I just turned a blind eye to it. The title turned up last weekend so I decided to try and fire it up. I drained the fuel added a some fresh hit it with a jump box and it fired up. It had some noisy lifters but cleaned up pretty fast. Jake is flying today I sent him these pictures I bet he will be driving it around tonight.
😃

IMG_4412.jpeg
IMG_4413.jpeg
IMG_4415.jpeg
IMG_4421.png
IMG_4420.png

Seriously if fate wounds that finger, it is a lost opportunity not to show it vertically, We all KNOW I would.

Ugh. Hours of musical tv and stand set up. I swear, the stands are the heaviest. Husband is happy. Thankful for little granddaughter's help, my arthritis is bad...back and a hip. She lifts well. So a big screen (new) in the front room. A big screen (old in the bedroom), another big screen (new) in the bedroom...one in front of the recliner and one in front of the exercise thingy he uses. A small tv and stand upstairs in the family room because it's fine, but the old big screen and humungous stand down from the upstairs, and put in the storage bldg. I would of love to put it in the dumpster, but husband says it still works but isn't smart. I think that building is full of older tech of his. So he is happy that whatever place he sits now has a big screen. That was an incredible amount of work. He can watch Star Trek everywhere now.

3 weeks ago, I tripped and fell in my garage and fractured my L5 vertebrae. I did not break my fall because I was carrying a lawnmower battery in each hand, and didn't want to let them fly and break - yeah, I know, stupid!!! 3 days in the hospital, a CT and an MRI, and painkillers every 2 hours for 3 days. Now home, suffering through pain, trying to recover. Doing physical therapy, and trying to be as active as possible - pain notwithstanding.

I am making my homemade dog food today, from start to finish ... standing at the stove prepping and cooking it all. In the end, it will do me good to be up as much as possible. Hope they appreciate my efforts!!!! They know something is wrong with me, and are very sweet.

This is the most exciting thing I've done in 3 weeks!!!!! lol

Saturday July 20th 2024
Only 1.5 week to go... then we do hit August

I dream of new lawnmower this coming week !!!!
Finally George will try to fix the piece if crap I have

Slow day today... I didnt do much either

Dane Girl and cats are fed

I just did wash my hair 👍
that its what I hate the most, but you feel so great after

Now raining a bit with 62f and a tiny breeze
almost night now

Wish you sleep good 😴

@Hooch try , if You can find them, these, either straight or curved and slide them down slightly open to where the tips are on each side...!!!

1721519258694.png

1721519352400.png

Haven't done much today. I did take the pups out even tho it was 101.
My little transplant has grown n bloomed today. I got the flower from the store n planted it in Hoochs grave. A bit broke off since it is sort of a succulent plant to see if it would grow n flower..
Yea..
Oh pic of the hike last week..pretty pink 🌸

Attachments

• 20240720_095242.jpg
    20240720_095242.jpg
    806.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240715_115602.jpg
    20240715_115602.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
@Hooch try , if You can find them, these, either straight or curved and slide them down slightly open to where the tips are on each side...!!!

View attachment 157876
View attachment 157878
Oh I have some..they are too big to fit in the hole.
I was going to do a few shots tonight n cut it open more but my throat is scratchy like either I'm getting a head cold or the smoke is getting to me..

Wild idea about noon to go on a mini road trip to IKEA.. Down to and across the city metro area to IKEA by the Mall of America... Easy enough drive down and parking.. No electric buggy carts, so I didn't walk far following a shopping cart.. Had lunch at the cafateria there.. Swedish meat balls, peas, mashed potatoes, salmon with lemon and about 4 cups of coffee that would float an anchor.. Has been 15 years (?) since I was in there so it was good.. Bought a case of lingonberry jam, frozen meat balls, Swedish oatmeal cookies, and dark chocolate.. The necessities of life.. Drove around the outside of the Mall of America but nothing motivated me to go in.. Not this trip anyway.. Home, shoes off, big glass of sun tea, local news...

Made a large batch of cheddar, and ricotta. Baked the sourdough. Made up pancakes in a jar to have in the pantry. More apricots off and on the dehydrator. Have maybe one more try worth that are still ripening. During ricotta, ended up burning my hand by trying not to drop the pot when I splashed scalding whey on my feet- feet are fine, hand hurts & the big mess is cleaned up.
Walked down to the river and made our way to the blackberries. They are just about ready- some are but not too many.

Made a large batch of cheddar, and ricotta. Baked the sourdough. Made up pancakes in a jar to have in the pantry. More apricots off and on the dehydrator. Have maybe one more try worth that are still ripening. During ricotta, ended up burning my hand by trying not to drop the pot when I splashed scalding whey on my feet- feet are fine, hand hurts & the big mess is cleaned up.
Walked down to the river and made our way to the blackberries. They are just about ready- some are but not too many.
Pancakes in a Jar... tell us how you do that...

Back