What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pancakes in a Jar... tell us how you do that...
I measure out the flour, salt and bk powder then have a sticker on the lid listing the wet ingredients to add (egg, milk and butter). For me it’s easier to have the flour tin out once and make that mess. Milk and an egg doesn’t take much time or make much of a mess.
ETA: I just put it in a pint jar.

image.jpg

Cool-ish evening, sitting in front of the garage, back garage door open to let the wind cool things off, having a Coor’s Light, looking at the sky, relaxing a bit.

Um..... Maybe one of you Texas people can shed some light on this.... On our late news there was someone saying that out of town, state, lineman crews working around Houston were getting harassed somehow.. ??

This spokesman for the repair efforts saying a number of crews saying if this harassment doesn't stop they will go home.. ??

Any truth to this ??

I had a brother in law that was head of linemen for a large utility area and many time they went out to help with outages.. Many times in bad weather.. Hot, cold, wet, you name it.. It is, or can be dangerous work at best, so I hope this is not true or very isolated issues.. BIL always went with his crews to organize food, housing and what ever it took to keep his people safe and as comfortable as the situations provided.. Also saying virtually everywhere they went people were glad to see them and treated them well..

Many believe grid, utility services are the most vulnerable systems we have if, when there is ever any kind of national crisis.. People to maintain these systems are crucial...

Facts, details, experience, thoughts... ??

Code:
https://www.npr.org/2024/07/17/nx-s1-5043279/beryl-houston-repair-crews-face-threats-still-without-power

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/07/14/linemen-facing-violence-as-they-work-to-restore-power-in-houston/

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/houston-linemen-face-threats-as-they-repair-outages-caused-by-hurricane-beryl

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/07/12/do-not-take-out-your-anger-on-them-local-officials-condemn-threats-towards-centerpoint-workers/

"Several city and state officials spoke up recently to address an issue they say is becoming a larger pattern: CenterPoint workers being attacked or threatened while working to restore power to the Houston area.

Yesterday, CenterPoint Energy representatives made a post on X (formerly Twitter), stating that they had “received numerous reports of threats being made to our employees and crews.”"

More Here : https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ftsa&q=Texans+Harassing+Linemen+Crews+doing+Repairs+?&ia=web

Last edited:
Oh I have some..they are too big to fit in the hole.
I was going to do a few shots tonight n cut it open more but my throat is scratchy like either I'm getting a head cold or the smoke is getting to me..
Have you thought about just going to the doctor? I don't like going there and only go if it is something I can't deal with, but this sounds like you can't deal with it. You might get an infection and lose your finger.

well our dry period is over , supposed to rain again today
I hope we are not going to have endless rain like most years . I know we need the rain but it makes everything more work and we use a ton of bedding in the barn and it's not even winter . The sheep are out, but the goats think they will melt as soon as a drop of rain hits them...not kidding, it starts dripping outside and they all start crying and running towards the barn like a wolf is chasin them. I should film this.

Other than animal care we need to pick crabapples today. I might make jelly out of them. Need to see if I have empty jars

taking Otto for a hike in the rain most likely unless it is lightening outside

that's it, no other work needs doing other than weed pulling and my shoulders and hands are sore from pulling a lot yesterday

hope everyone has a great Sunday

The Stones was one of the best gigs I was ever at - about 20 years ago now I realise :eek: 😂 enjoy!
Off to a small gig tonight also. Today took one of the dogs and husband to a nearby forest park for a wander, then back and made almond slices and a new recipe. Will share the recipe if it works. Other than that, a few chores off hubbys list to be done ;)

Had a little rain overnight! Going to clean my building shortly. Everyone is fed except Buddy. Was going to stop by and see a friend who just moved to assisted living, she moved Friday. The place got closed to family and visitors yesterday because of COVID!😮 So I'll be coming straight home after work, will call my friend instead!!

A little bit drizzly here this morning. But you know the saying “bad day fishing still better than a good day at work.” Going to make breakfast then we need to go to Walmart for new ice maker—old one finally gave up the ghost.

When we get back, I need to get the house in order. We’re having my brother, SIL and her uncle over this evening for dinner. I’ll be smoking some baby backs and a prime rib. Brought green beans from garden and Dad got corn from the farmer’s market.

Had a little rain overnight! Going to clean my building shortly. Everyone is fed except Buddy. Was going to stop by and see a friend who just moved to assisted living, she moved Friday. The place got closed to family and visitors yesterday because of COVID!😮 So I'll be coming straight home after work, will call my friend instead!!
Like Marie Osmond keeps saying : "That Sucks"... Hope they keep their Members Safe and Alive...!!!

It’s muggy and smoky here this morning. Gonna drink some coffee and putz around in the garden for a bit. Blackberries and green beans are in full swing. I need to switch gears from house overhaul to canning today or my refrigerator is going to burst. Church in a while. Might join the cat under the fan later.
IMG_3528.jpeg

Last edited:
Up early and kind of excited for today, we have tickets to see The Rolling Stones tonight at Thunder Ridge. Never thought the Stones would be in Branson!

View attachment 157895
If that's the show with Samantha Fish opening, you are in for a great show. I've seen her three times, and she is fantastic.

Woke up early with my blood glucose levels elevated through the roof. I know I didn't eat poorly, so I guess something weird happened with my basal insulin. I've gotten it back where it should be now. I spent some time on the phone getting my car insurance in order after buying the Rav4. Ouch! Insuring myself and my daughter after she totalled my old Equinox and I hit a deer and crunched my bumper in a separate incident, all in less than 2 years, is really really expensive.

Went out for dinner last night, then went to a bar after. I didn't know anyone at the bar but as my pops used to say when I was a kid: "I could drop you off at any park in town and you would end up with 7 new best friends and 2 lifelong enemies". So the liquor poured, jokes made and money spent. I had to take a Lyft to get home. I convinced the Lyft driver to drop me off on a dark lonely highway and I walked the rest of the way to the compound. He got a nice tip and a good review for his trouble. All that resulted in my sleeping in much later today than usual but fortunately without any side effects. Now I am just relaxing at home refusing to do much of anything, much like our president. I think I will actually cook today though.

Back