What's everybody doing today?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gen 2 Starlink has a melt feature I am sure a Gen3 does too.
Also has a sleep feature. That may be important to you with power draw.
Gen 3 uses about half the power of G2.

Why do I know this? I have a mini for the camper too as well.
I'll have to check on that. Also need to see what the power draw is on this thing. It would be nice to be able to turn it off when we're not using it. I guess I could just up-plug it too.

Yeah the little stand is on there as a mount, you can probably mount it firmly to any flat surface with the stand strapped to something you can reach to sweep snow off of easily in the winter to keep the antenna clear, if not take some of the scrap from the build and make a stable mount for it.

The idea with the newer antenna is it is not mobile and does not track for itself.

Unless you are going to be able to move it on occasion where you mount it you may want to keep it simple and closer to the ground so you can.
@Snowman Knew you had the inside scoop on everything TV bro, 👍
I don't know about gen3 mount, but the gen2 one isn't very sturdy and the legs can break if you screw them down to stuff (customers complained about that happening). I see Gen3 looks a bit different and I know the cables are different. Does the modem have a light or any indication that its on?
I'll have to check on that. Also need to see what the power draw is on this thing. It would be nice to be able to turn it off when we're not using it. I guess I could just up-plug it too.
At least with Gen2 you can use the app to "stow" the dish so it won't be running. I think it does still draw some power, but it doesn't really take that much. Main drawback with Starlink is the lack of customer service and they take their sweet time shipping stuff out if you order it from their site. Sometimes you can find accessories on other places like BestBuy.

Went to walmart with my brother. Stopped at friend's house for a brief visit, petted the kittens-- a 5th one turned up, & took the CRV home. One of the kittens is looking sickly. I'm hoping he'll be ok. Hoping they won't all get sick like last time. Cute little buggers.

Unloaded groceries and got everything put away. Now waiting for Mom to say she's hungry.

My bro and SIL are blocked in by fire. Still dry and hot out here. They are drip-torching trying to back burn. Youngest niece is now a hot-shot and is on a fire near Mt Bachelor (Oregon).
So far estimations are about 100 cattle lost (died/burned) by this fire, but it’s too early to know for sure.
Had a pleasant day, went to church and even did a little stitching.

My life just got a tad more interesting..

Went n took pups on a small hike n swimmy..
I noticed a bunch of pine needles n pine cones drop outta some trees and noticed the tree tops swaying pretty good. I wasn't getting much in wind but up higher it was so I head back to the creek.
Get into town and notice a lot of smoke n big clouds building up south..stop by store n grab a few items..head home and the fire complex I was watching Friday night is blowing up..winds , heat n low humidity and they are pretty impressive. I had a video but it says it's too big to post here.
Work ..like I predicted asked me to come in early and I ignored it for my hike to think about it. Decided to say ok because I want to take a long weekend in October.
But I texted them back n said if this gets worse my way, my plans might change. One of the bosses I was texting has been watching it blow up from returning from boise area so they understand my plans are subject to change at the moment.
I have insurance..so..just going to throw some paperwork n my go bag in the car or truck n hope it doesn't get worse..
I’m in Emmett and the column is scary. I’ve seen so many big bad fires the last 20 years but this is something else. I hope it doesn’t take your place out, I know a lot of folks who are doing what you are right now.

Attachments

• IMG_3642.jpeg
    IMG_3642.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
@Hooch and @Bluedanube
Do you know the name of the fire or is there more than one?
The worst one today is the Lava fire. It went from 2k acres this morning to an estimated 30k this afternoon in heavy timber. Second would be the Boulder fire just north east of the Lava fire. All the fires had an active day with the wind and temperatures, but the Lava was the biggest change. Sadly it probably torched the Third Fork cabin I worked on a couple years ago that is on the rental program in addition to wiping out a mess of large ponderosa. That part of the forest had always been one of my favorite areas.

Starlink has added a useful new feature to their app called "Sleep Schedule".

Starlink App Sleep Schedule
A user can toggle the sleep schedule on/off and set one sleep & one wake time.
The main purpose of this new feature is to be able to put Starlink to sleep on a set schedule each day to save power when you are not actively using your Starlink. Such as while you sleep.

By having this feature in the app, it makes it pretty simple to have Starlink shut down and startup again at predetermined times.

Starlink can use quite a bit of power. This feature is a welcomed relief by those living off-grid so they can better manage their power usage. Especially overnight when leaving a Dishy running can easily drain a battery bank.

Starlink App - Are You Sure Question Box
Confirmation box alerting you on the changes you are about to make.
The functionality of this feature appears to be pretty basic with only a single toggle to turn it on and off and then a picture of a clock with a sleep and wake time you can set.

At present time, you can only set one sleep schedule and it will be used every day it's toggled on.

Since there is no internet connectivity while the Starlink is in sleep mode, the only option to wake it up early is to be locally connected to the Starlink Wi-Fi and to turn off the toggle in the app.

@Hooch and @Bluedanube
Do you know the name of the fire or is there more than one?
There is more than one and they all blew up in extreme fire behavior..it was incredible to watch.. the one that really took off was the lava and boulder over by cascade. The lava went from close to 3000 acres to 30 thousand in like 2-3 hours..Emmett is around a 2 hour drive south of me ..so her photo puts that in perspective. People from boise..about 3ish hours away were posting photos of it..

I’m in Emmett and the column is scary. I’ve seen so many big bad fires the last 20 years but this is something else. I hope it doesn’t take your place out, I know a lot of folks who are doing what you are right now.
Yes..it was pretty incredible to watch. I've seen extreame fire behavior maybe 2 times on fires long ago ..it's pretty intense..I think one of the command posts staging areas was burned over today..no one hurt but it was one of those..just get out of the way days..

Tonight..it got super smokey eariler and no one could see anything..my area got put of level 1 ..which is the lowest ..just get ready to move alerts.

My friends just down a few miles from me got put on higher get ready to go status since they are closer to that fire and on that side of the mountain.

I got the trailer hooked up n ready to go. Other stuff is in the car..tomorrow supposly won't be as windy..still hot n dry but I'm thinking without the wind it won't blow up again.

I don't think the maps on the incident website are updated yet. The lava fire was just a faint glow Friday night and still far away..now it's over the mountain across the small valley from me and I can watch trees crown n torchfrom my yard..

Well see what tomorrow brings..I hope the critters get out of it's way..the coyotes where loud tonight..

Attachments

• 20240908_211223.jpg
    20240908_211223.jpg
    764.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240908_211626.jpg
    20240908_211626.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Tonight..it got super smokey eariler and no one could see anything..my area got put of level 1 ..which is the lowest ..just get ready to move alerts.

My friends just down a few miles from me got put on higher get ready to go status since they are closer to that fire and on that side of the mountain.

I got the trailer hooked up n ready to go. Other stuff is in the car..tomorrow supposly won't be as windy..still hot n dry but I'm thinking without the wind it won't blow up again.

I don't think the maps on the incident website are updated yet. The lava fire was just a faint glow Friday night and still far away..now it's over the mountain across the small valley from me and I can watch trees crown n torchfrom my yard..

Well see what tomorrow brings..I hope the critters get out of it's way..the coyotes where loud tonight..
I hope you are all right, that looks pretty nasty

Take care and do what you need to do to stay safe.

55° here this morning, brrrr!! Going to clean my building in a bit. Then home to mow! It should be 100° and no thoughts of mowing, crazy weather!!
it's still technically summer here, but been in the mid 30s in the morning now for 3 days. What's wrong with the weather?? It's not supposed to be this cold this early

going to take goats to the meat processor today, plus do some shopping on the way back, need to get some more feed from the farm store

hay got moved yesterday and I cleaned the kitchen but that was about it. Husband tried to teach me the new game he bought me for my birthday a month ago but I haven't had time to play it. And I don't really care for it to be honest. It's got way too many rules and small pieces you can't read unless you have a magnifying glass. My close up eyesight is good, so it's not old age

Son dragged some logs out of the woods with the ATV for firewood, and if this weather keeps up we will need it soon
Our neighbors have a giant pile of logs laying in front of their house ( but they have lots of equipment we don't have)

wow, hope you didn't have to evacuate and hope your place is ok
that would be my worst nightmare, wildfire burning everything here to the ground, can't imagine what we would do then. We have no insurance at all

I watched a Perkins Brothers Build video on Youtube and saw them making a header with foam. Got me thinking about the header for my door and I couldn't sleep so i went and measured the thickness of the king stud. 3.5". So looks like its not a 2x6 wall after all. Makes it simpler to make a new header.

Tried to listen to music to help myself sleep but Aminatu started biting me (not very hard but enough to be annoying) for no apparent reason and Rupert pounced on me wanting attention.

Going to take one of the kittens from my friend's house to the vet before I go to my doctor's appointment. I'm worried about the poor little thing. If he lives I'll give him a name. He's a fluffy orange kitten.

Going to try music again to see if I can get rested.

54f this morning here.

All this starlink stuff bring back the BUD/Blackbox days for some of us that still think TV should never have been taken away from the people and given to wall street.

Internet was supposed to be a free zone with no interference from government, how long did that last?

How is it the government makes laws to give ANYONE the power to charge people for stuff that was free.

now you get "Free" stuff by buying lotsa stuff to get it and paying for a higher internet speed to get it.

Yeah some people can get a version of free on antenna still, but not from 120 miles away like it used to be.

They are also doing away with public domain rules - laws for some people it seems.

Last edited:

Starlink has added a useful new feature to their app called "Sleep Schedule".

Starlink App Sleep Schedule
A user can toggle the sleep schedule on/off and set one sleep & one wake time.
The main purpose of this new feature is to be able to put Starlink to sleep on a set schedule each day to save power when you are not actively using your Starlink. Such as while you sleep.

By having this feature in the app, it makes it pretty simple to have Starlink shut down and startup again at predetermined times.

Starlink can use quite a bit of power. This feature is a welcomed relief by those living off-grid so they can better manage their power usage. Especially overnight when leaving a Dishy running can easily drain a battery bank.

Starlink App - Are You Sure Question Box
Confirmation box alerting you on the changes you are about to make.
The functionality of this feature appears to be pretty basic with only a single toggle to turn it on and off and then a picture of a clock with a sleep and wake time you can set.

At present time, you can only set one sleep schedule and it will be used every day it's toggled on.

Since there is no internet connectivity while the Starlink is in sleep mode, the only option to wake it up early is to be locally connected to the Starlink Wi-Fi and to turn off the toggle in the app.

This will be useful when I get internet. Right now I can't do anything. I get a message that says I'm not at my registered location. I'm 2 miles from my mailbox. In order to change my location I need to log on to their site, which I need internet for.

Usnea, an excellent antibiotic plant, a lichen made up of both algae and fungi. It has 3 types of components, each extracted by very different methods.

I’m trying to do a 'multifractional extract' but instead of using the tools described in the procedure which I don’t have, I want to use my insta-pot which should work.

Under ‘keep food warm’ or ‘slow cook’ I can choose 3 heat settings, Normal, High and Less. No where in the user guide or on their website do they give the actual temperature used for the ‘normal, high or less’ settings!!!!

Any insta-pot users know the temperatures used for these settings? I really hate ‘idiot proof’ machines!!! They obviously never met me...(or maybe they did 🤣)
I don't have an insta-pot, could a crock pot work?

Back